• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Song Kickstarter - Metroid meets Dark Souls - GAFer made - funded!

Jenoss

Banned
I love metroid, i love dark souls, i love sprite...
this game is handsome!! This will be my the second funding through kickstarter after showel knight..

Voror

The bit about the foe who stalks you throughout the game is something I really like and am curious about. I tend to like foes who keep popping up to strike at you. To look at Metroid, the SA-X is a good example of this I think.

Defect

Game looks good. Please add an option to disable voice and text for those who don't like it.

Get this on Wii U and Xbone so I can buy it twice.

CTLance

By the by, Jobbs, what are your thoughts on gog as a distributor? I mean, getting a steam key is all nice and dandy, but I vastly prefer gog (if it's an option).

So, if - and that is an if - you eventually release your game on gog too, could you offer a way for backers to choose between steam and gog keys?

Salsa

This is a fair criticism, and I'll be addressing it in the FAQ, but I'll say it here.

Basically, the origins of the game you see, as it exists now, can be traced back to a flash game I started developing about a year ago -- Where my aspirations weren't as high, I just wanted to make a metroid-like because Nintendo wasn't doing it.

The game grew a lot in its concepts and ideas and aspirations -- But, as of now, the basic gameplay mechanics and engine are still the same that I set up originally.

Moving forward, if funded, I intend to rebuild the art for high res (and it'll be MUCH!!! more detailed because it won't have all those size and memory constraints built into it like my flash game did!) and since we'll be recoding it from the ground up, I'll also be overhauling the gameplay mechanics. It'll still be similar to metroid in some ways, but it'll be much more visceral, with enemies stumbling and falling down, things being pushed back, the player being able to be knocked down -- and we'll have a basic melee attack for shoving enemies. It's all designed up here in my head -- It'll be metroid-like with a bit of a melee combo type game mixed into it for good measure, and I feel it'll be everything the game needs to give it its own distinct flavor.

that's fair, and all that sounds great

will back when I get paid this month, rad stuff man

this looks so awesome. hope the story actually turns out good!

EviLore stamp of approval guys. Make it happen.
I dont mean to derail but why does his approval mean anything more than anybody else's? He's just another person like the rest of us. The mod worship on GAF can be weird sometimes. I don't see this on any other forums.

Paz

I dont mean to derail but why does his approval mean anything more than anybody else's? He's just another person like the rest of us. The mod worship on GAF can be weird sometimes. I don't see this on any other forums.

Moderators in general are elevated posters, so due to the nature of that hierarchy they are going to carry more weight than you or I. In this case you're talking about the site owner, so it should be quite obvious why people think his opinion has meaning.

Back to the game - If people are on the fence I suggest having a read through the NeoGAF Indie Development thread to see how dedicated and open Jobbs has been with his development, I have absolute faith that he will finish the game he has set out to build.

JDSN

Banned
First KS that does the whole " X meets X" thing without looking phony, ill back as soon as I get home. I hope you have some strech goals ready, this one looks like a winner.

linko9

Been looking forward to this, backed.

I love Dark Souls. It's my game of the generation. But it seems like every single game coming out these days has to claim that it's somehow like Dark Souls. It's getting ridiculous. This looks great, but from everything I've seen, it's Metroid meets Metroid. Sorry to pick on the little guy, and maybe the full game will prove me wrong... not that I want it too. Metroid by itself is great.

Ubersnug

Another fellow Gaffers project backed!

Wish I could afford more than $10 at the moment, but I have a few other projects backed at the moment. Will see how they perform and may up my pledge if they fall through.

desertdroog

Oh boy! Side scrolling Metroidvania Sci-Fi sidescroller with ghosts?!

Yeah, I'm in for $25! It's nice to see others with the want and love of the genre and the talent to make it happen!

Good luck, I want to play this!

catabarez

He's a bit more than a mod, and it was a joke.

Papstr

Neo Member
I am a huge fan of metroidvania styled games. The art of this game looks amazing and it all looks promising. I really really want to play this. You totally have my back.

Feep

Banned
This is currently in the Games -> Popular section of Kickstarter, which bodes extremely well.

Still too early to post anything, but definitely start thinking about what you're going to do with extra funds. ; )

Jobbs

Banned
Oh boy. I'm still digesting the long list of replies here. I'm somewhat in shock, not used to processing this much support and positivity at once. Evilore and other reds posting was pretty surreal too. I really appreciate all of it.

This is currently in the Games -> Popular section of Kickstarter, which bodes extremely well.

Still too early to post anything, but definitely start thinking about what you're going to do with extra funds. ; )

Not going to put the cart before the horse -- Things can and will slow down. That said, I do have some ideas for what I'd do with excess funding and how I'd use it to make a better game for the backers and customers. It's just a matter of sorting through it. One thing I definitely want to do -- if it's possible to get around to -- Is "overtime mode". A short campaign that you are dropped into after the credits roll -- suddenly you're controlling a different character, seeing things from a new point of view..

This game looks incredible. I think Nintendo forgets (besides SA-X) that early Metroid games felt creepy as hell.

This game seems to recapture that feeling I had when I played the original Metroid as a kid.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Looks good and I am tempted...

May 2014 though? Christ, dude...I hope you don't get burnt out like team meat and Phil Fish when they were making their games.

I wanna back this so bad but I have no idea how to pay on Kickstarter. I don't have a creditcard but I don't see any PayPal options.. :(

VandalD

This looks great. You hooked me with how you want to tell a story. The gameplay video certainly helped too. Absolutely backing this.

Top Bottom