• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: MS cuts the XO price to 349,99€

One of my workmates is, actually. He said he would buy a Kinectless version for around 350 euros. So that's at least oen sale :p
so they'll be dropping the price even further given that they still lost june when their supposed band-aid solution didn't work..

sucks for peeps who bought xbone after the price drop only to drop in price further 2 months after.

robo

Lol the nfl deal is not limited to Xbox, it also extends to surface tablets and having them available to football franchises

And we all know how well the surface tabs are selling ;)

Can you honestly say that ms will make money on that NFL deal?

$400m is a lot to make back when your estimates of consoles sold is way behind the graph.

i can see a 349€ xbox+fifa15 bundle announcement at gamescom

They already announced all launch consoles get Fifa 15 and Forza 5 included for free.

10454410_770843862946435_3832285828538707456_o.png

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
One of my workmates is, actually. He said he would buy a Kinectless version for around 350 euros. So that's at least oen sale :p

Or he could wait another month or so and see if it hits €300 with a deal at a retailer. This isn't going to move a massive amount of stock, let's not kid ourselves. Once the price is in free fall it's basicly just a matter of getting the best deals.

Duxxy3

$400m is a lot to make back when your estimates of consoles sold is way behind the graph.

Not a chance in hell. The deal was too centered on one country, especially for that ridiculous amount of money.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

derFeef

Or he could wait another month or so and see if it hits €300 with a deal at a retailer. This isn't going to move a massive amount of stock, let's not kid ourselves. Once the price is in free fall it's basicly just a matter of getting the best deals.

Yeah sure, but if you think that way you will never buy any hardware/gadget/system or whatever. "It's going to be cheaper soon!"

So he was mulling over 50€ when the thing is actually on sale a lot of the time and offered with free pack-in games right now?

Yeah, I call bullshit.

I told him many times, but he's a "go to retail store and buy" guy without looking at sales, not my fault.

I feel like I should mention that I don't actually find one price change advertised on only the mobile site of one European Xbox site particularly strong evidence. It's certainly possible but I feel that MS isn't ready to drop it yet

Com_Raven

A 50€ drop is going to do absolutely nothing when you are getting outsold 5:1 in most european regions.

Man, things sure are escalating quickly today. Yesterday we were at PS4 outselling Xbox One 3:1 in Germany (the actual numbers released). Now in this thread, suddenly someone claims it is 4:1. And just a few posts down, already 5:1.

Fascinating how that works :p

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN

While we're on the subject of said deal, could someone explain (or link something that explains) what that deal means for xbox/surface owners?

From what I gather, there's some kind of app on xbox one, the coaches use surface tablets and there's some Xbox advertising at games. So in other words, the end user gets a fantasy football app. Is that all?

aTTckr

One big problem for MS is that for people like me who owned a 360 before buying a PS3 is that it was easy to buy a PS3 as a second console because online was free, so didn't have to pay twice for online. But now if you want to buy an X1 you would have to pay for Xbox Live in addition to PS+ and I'm not willing to pay for two online services and without Xbox Live I probably don't want an X1.

So in my opinion, MS should rather make Xbox Live free than drop the price of the box itself.

yeah the console hasn't even been released in most european countries yet. This could be the new price for our markets.

they're desperate. they'll do whatever it takes to lessen the gap. even at 350 i still think they're making a profit. they're probably not making as much as they hope to. i remember reading that in 2010 a 360 cost 99 bucks to make but they were still selling for 250 bucks.

While we're on the subject of said deal, could someone explain (or link something that explains) what that deal means for xbox/surface owners?

From what I gather, there's some kind of app on xbox one, the coaches use surface tablets and there's some Xbox advertising at games. So in other words, the end user gets a fantasy football app. Is that all?

IIRC, it's a branding deal no different from Gatorade or Motorola. They get to be the "Exclusive of the NFL", and have their logo sprinkled in all the sideline footage. As well as all the traditional advertising during the games.

For the user, this really only manifests as a branded Fantasy Football app (which runs on the fairly niche NFL.com Fantasy Football website, making it pretty pointless for frequent players).

The problem is that while 360 sales were mostly in the US and UK they were not entirely in those regions.

Of the 84M WW or so 360 sales it's something like

US: 41.5M -> 49.5%
UK: 8.8M -> 10.5%

That still leaves ~40% , or 34M 360 sales in regions other than the US and the UK

If you look at the German sales

PS3/360 Ratio is around 63% PS3 | 37% 360
PS4/XB1 Ratio is around 76% PS4 | 24% XB1

So its clear Xbox is losing ground in Europe relative to last gen and it's also clear that MS wanted to at the very least maintain their marketshare however much smaller it was than playstation

So I can see why MS might be keen on trying to stop the bleeding of their marketshare even in countries where they historically don't perform as well as the competition

There is nothing MS can do even with this price cut , that not going to help them in EU .
I think people forget MS had one and half year advantage in EU last gen and they still lost to more expensive PS3.
Some of that market share they got because of that advantage and they can't get it back this gen.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Yeah sure, but if you think that way you will never buy any hardware/gadget/system or whatever. "It's going to be cheaper soon!"

That doesn't really apply to PS4 or to iPhones or other gadgets that are doing terrific. Any product with a mild interest like Vita and XBO you can easily wait a few months before getting it so that the price adjusts a bit after demand.

zhao3gold

Banned
They already announced all launch consoles get Fifa 15 and Forza 5 included for free.

10454410_770843862946435_3832285828538707456_o.png

This is only for tier 2 countries and only for pre-orders (sold out = sold out). But unfortunately, it seems the pre-order is still available in many Dutch retailers' website since pre-order launched weeks ago even with such great deals. It indicates bad consumers' feedback.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Didn' the german sales data from GFK show that during 2014 the ps4 outsold the bone 4:1?

Looks like desperate measures are needed.

Guerrilla

There is nothing MS can do even with this price cut , that not going to help them in EU .
I think people forget MS had one and half year advantage in EU last gen and they still lost to more expensive PS3.
Some of that market share they got because of that advantage and they can't get it back this gen.

Yeah everything pretty much went right for the xbox 360, way earlier release, way cheaper and better running multiplats, and they still only got 37% vs 63%. 76% to 24% is actually quite impressive if you look at nothing working out in their favor this gen...

Oh I certainly don't believe MS has much hope at maintaining their 360 marketshare in Europe with the XB1 but I'm not convinced they believe the same

z0m3le

Banned
When did $50 per year plus $60 per year become $30 per month ($360 per year).

On topic, good news for Europeans who want an Xbox. I don't think there are many of them and I also don't see Sony reacting to this price cut. There just isn't any need. I also don't see MS extending it to the UK or Ireland because they aren't in the dumps here and taking the price down to £299 here would weigh down on margins too heavily. Xbox still needs to prove it can make money to the corporate heads on the board.

I don't know why I was thinking 30, ignore my numbers, I just remembered paying $60 for live twice and deciding never again. That was before PS+ was introduced with free games monthly, now those prices seem more reasonable, but I still think paying twice for online is going to hurt owning multiple consoles this generation.

Percy

Banned
An understandable desperation play on MS' part to be sure, but it still makes a real mockery of those of us that paid launch prices due to reasons that have now all but evaporated into so much noxious bullshit.

The unbundling was pretty much an official price cut, at least from the consumer perspective. If they go from "XBox ONE - $499", to "Buy an XBox ONE, get Titanfall", to "XBox ONE - starting at $399", to "XBox ONE - Now starting at $349" - all within the scope of a year.. that paints a very sad narrative.

Yeah, it's kinda crazy to think about and really shows what a terrible position XONE is in. At least nobody can accuse MS of going out without a fight.

This is only for tier 2 countries and only for pre-orders (sold out = sold out). But unfortunately, it seems the pre-order is still available in many Dutch retailers' website since pre-order launched weeks ago even with such great deals. It indicates bad consumers' feedback.

Wording has been that it's not only preorders but just the launch allocation of consoles.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
IIRC, it's a branding deal no different from Gatorade or Motorola. They get to be the "Exclusive of the NFL", and have their logo sprinkled in all the sideline footage. As well as all the traditional advertising during the games.

For the user, this really only manifests as a branded Fantasy Football app (which runs on the fairly niche NFL.com Fantasy Football website, making it pretty pointless for frequent players).

Thanks for the explanation. Thinking back to the Xbox one unveil, it's strange how much time they dedicated to this deal when all it really meant was more advertising and an app.

Yeah everything pretty much went right for the xbox 360, way earlier release, way cheaper and better running multiplats, and they still only got 37% vs 63%. 76% to 24% is actually quite impressive if you look at nothing working out in their favor this gen...

I can just see things getting worst as times goes .
If people think things bad now wait until Sony drops there price .

Thanks for the explanation. Thinking back to the Xbox one unveil, it's strange how much time they dedicated to this deal when all it really meant was more advertising and an app.

The NFL branding is still a pretty huge deal in the US, at least for market share. The ONE's core non-gamer demographic is going to be watching those games, and considering how dedicated the original pitch was to TV - it makes total sense why they led with the NFL. Plus, the features do demo very well. If you like FF, the abilities they show off looked very cool. (How they actually manifested for the user was another notion entirely).

It was a decision clearly made during the early, "gaming on the side" days of the ONE.

And Yah miss the entire point, the nfl deal has a lot more to do with just xbox , they aren't magically hoping to pay that 400 mill with selling consoles alone, where are you getting you information from. Things like the nfl app ( which is part of the deal )extends to All surface and windows 8 device http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/3/5964489/nfl-app-for-xbox-one-has-sunday-ticket-and-fantasy-football

The deal is to promote their entire ecosystem

37% vs 63% what? 63% other consoles or 63% PS3s?

One big problem for MS is that for people like me who owned a 360 before buying a PS3 is that it was easy to buy a PS3 as a second console because online was free, so didn't have to pay twice for online. But now if you want to buy an X1 you would have to pay for Xbox Live in addition to PS+ and I'm not willing to pay for two online services and without Xbox Live I probably don't want an X1.

So in my opinion, MS should rather make Xbox Live free than drop the price of the box itself.

this is me exactly.

Back in April I've seen Xbox One's with Kinect on ebay for €350 in Germany and I guess that's what most people would pay for. In my opinion, the Xbox One always should've been $/€100 cheaper than the PS4 in general and the markets reaction to the console kinda confirmed this, especially in Europe. Not to mention that Xbox as a brand really has no foothold in Europe or at least in the southern countries. Launching it for 499 was insane.

Phinor

To clarify, at least in Finland the original pre-orders include those two games (FIFA 15 & Forza 5), day 1 branded gamepad and Dance Central Spotlight. The new kinectless pre-order bundle includes FIFA 15 & Forza 5 and this is still being sold in many places.

The problem is that in Finland MS decided to actually increase RRP for Xbox One, it's 449€ for the Kinectless version, and 549€ for the Kinect version. Meanwhile in other countries Xbox One prices are going down which has lead into a situation where shops that offer import consoles are selling those import consoles cheaper than what the launch price for the console will be in September. And obviously if you buy import console, you get it now instead of September. It's not like Finland was Xbox country anyway, and a year long delay + high prices isn't going to help the situation at all.

robo

And Yah miss the entire point, the nfl deal has a lot more to do with just xbox , they aren't magically hoping to pay that 400 mill with selling consoles alone, where are you getting you information from. Things like the nfl app ( which is part of the deal )extends to All surface and windows 8 device http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/3/5964489/nfl-app-for-xbox-one-has-sunday-ticket-and-fantasy-football

The deal is to promote their entire ecosystem

Because at the reveal it was all xbone tv NFL. Outside the US no one cared, and as such no one in eu has bothered to look any deeper than that.

Its still US centric and even including surface and win 8 devices very few people outside the US is bothered about it.

$400m could have been better spent in my opinion.

Top Bottom