• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2017 | He11o Darkest My Old Friend

awp69

I just bought an Ipad pro 12,9 for school, are there any good games similar to Titan Quest, or RPGs like Baldurs Gate?

Ember and Planescape: Torment are good options. Particularly Ember since it was designed from the ground up for mobile.

I just bought an Ipad pro 12,9 for school, are there any good games similar to Titan Quest, or RPGs like Baldurs Gate? I also like building games like Civilization/Anno
Games like TQ or BG:
-Ember
-Banner Saga
-Titan Quest

Civ like games:
-Battle for polytopia
-Planet of mine
-Through the ages
-Age of Rivals

I just bought an Ipad pro 12,9 for school, are there any good games similar to Titan Quest, or RPGs like Baldurs Gate? I also like building games like Civilization/Anno
Ember is a good CRPG designed with mobile in mind

Demons' Rise 2 is a janky lower budget turn-based SRPG but it's a pretty great one at that

There are also good ports of Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale, and Planescape Torment

For something different (but still praised as one of the best RPGs of 2016 by RockPaperShotgun), check out the Sorcery series

According to TouchArcade, XCOM: Enemy Within has been updated with 64-bit support, so it should be ready for iOS 11 now.

Edit: ha, I got beaten, I should have read the above posts more carefully. Well yay anyway!

Edit2: A Normal Lost Phone is on sale for a dollar. Picked that one up.

awp69

Damn, for some reason, I thought it’d come out with ios 11...

They announced it (obviously) at the Apple event but given that it was just a teaser trailer with no hint of gameplay, I have a feeling it’s a ways off.

A lot of times if they have a huge game like that they will actually say “and you can download it right now”. Think that happened with one of the Infinity Blade games. And the U2 album (that also resulted in a bit of a backlash by automatically adding it).

Maybe Apple had hoped to do that but just couldn’t get it done in time. That said the announcement itself was still a pretty big deal.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Not what you asked but I tap-ed the link on iPad and I was on my wishlist (it opens iTunes Store).
I can’t add anything tough.
Yeah it directs to the Music wish list (which still exists) in the iTunes store on iOS. I'm guessing it'll do the same on desktop. Oh well.

colinp

Banned
Huh, Super Mario Run is going to get a big update on Sept. 29th. They have an article about it in Saturday’s Today section on the App Store.

New modes, new character (Daisy) and a new world.

Also the game will get a 50% discount for a limited time.

Huh, Super Mario Run is going to get a big update on Sept. 29th. They have an article about it in Saturday’s Today section on the App Store.

New modes, new character (Daisy) and a new world.

Also the game will get a 50% discount for a limited time.
What’s the general opinion on Super Mario Run around here? Worth picking up at half off?

PittaGAF

I like you will find something new everyday on the AppStore now, and I enjoyed Witness dev interview yesterday.
Apple has guaranteed I’ll check the AppStore at least once a day.

Nice that now they have articles about UPCOMING things, like Mario new level and sales.

On converse, this now grants exposure for just one day, instead of a week like before (unless you browse last days)...I’m curious about which kind of impact this can have especially on indies which if not featured had nothing but if featured they had a whole week to cash in.

killercow

I like you will find something new everyday on the AppStore now, and I enjoyed Witness dev interview yesterday.
Apple has guaranteed I’ll check the AppStore at least once a day.

Nice that now they have articles about UPCOMING things, like Mario new level and sales.

On converse, this now grants exposure for just one day, instead of a week like before (unless you browse last days)...I’m curious about which kind of impact this can have especially on indies which if not featured had nothing but if featured they had a whole week to cash in.

Yep! Though I get the impression that they cancelled the Free App of the Week thing.

PittaGAF

If that's enough to make you speechless, your mind is going to be blown as you keep playing

I would, if it didn’t cut the battery like a hot knife on butter :p
Waiting for the download to finish on iPad, thanks god for iCloud sync.

I’m super intrigued, and I’m just 40 puzzles in.
Controls are brilliant and the visuals....oh the visuals....
Probably the first 3D first person NOT on rails game that feels really at home imho on a touch device.

What a year for iOS gaming.

Voidance

I would, if it didn’t cut the battery like a hot knife on butter :p
Waiting for the download to finish on iPad, thanks god for iCloud sync.

I’m super intrigued, and I’m just 40 puzzles in.
Controls are brilliant and the visuals....oh the visuals....
Probably the first 3D first person NOT on rails game that feels really at home imho on a touch device.

What a year for iOS gaming.
I’m about as far as you, and it’s wonderful. The game still makes me a little nauseous, but nowhere near as bad as the PS4 version did (even after the patches). I’m happy it came to a platform where I can actually enjoy the game.

PittaGAF

I’m about as far as you, and it’s wonderful. The game still makes me a little nauseous, but nowhere near as bad as the PS4 version did (even after the patches). I’m happy it came to a platform where I can actually enjoy the game.

I just activated something big.
No spoiler but I was like in trance watching it.

As for motion sickness...I was really worried about it (I suffered from it in the past with some games....completing Half Life 2 was true testament of love for me, between one headache and the next) but fortunately here I’m safe apparently.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i believe there is a “low motion” option in the settings to help with motion sickness

fuck i cant wait for the X

Voidance

I just activated something big.
No spoiler but I was like in trance watching it.

As for motion sickness...I was really worried about it (I suffered from it in the past with some games....completing Half Life 2 was true testament of love for me, between one headache and the next) but fortunately here I’m safe apparently.
Funny enough, the only other game that made me sick to play was also Half Life 2.

I hope to play more of The Witness today; maybe I will also activate something cool.

awp69

Still on the fence on Morphite and Kenshō. Wish there were more impressions or a review of Kenshō around. Would like to know more about it.

Really shouldn’t buy either with as much money as I’ve been spending on console games especially.

PittaGAF

Still on the fence on Morphite and Kenshō. Wish there were more impressions or a review of Kenshō around. Would like to know more about it.

Really shouldn’t buy either with as much money as I’ve been spending on console games especially.

Kensho looks very cool.

PittaGAF

i believe there is a “low motion” option in the settings to help with motion sickness

fuck i cant wait for the X

The Witness must be absolutely GLORIOUS on the X, can’t wait myself (assuming I can find 1) the money to buy it and 2) the actual phone)

No low motion setting that I can see.
There is a turning speed setting, and a vignette setting (on off) that I can’t see exactly what it does.
I left them on/default.

The game is truly something to look at (and hear...sounds are fantastic as well, I love walking between the desert ruins).

colinp

Banned
Morphite is game of the day. Whoever name checked Metroid Prime was spot on- that was the primary influence for the game, not No Man’s Sky.

It sounds really cool.

PittaGAF

So out of nowhere and by pure chance, I discovered something super cool about The Witness.
I’m not sure it’s a spoiler, but I’ll be as vague as possibile, even if it’s just an interface thing.

I’ll spoiler tag it, even if it’s not really a spoiler and as I said, I’ll be super vague (you recognize it only if you see it)

If you see something on the ground and you are unsure if you can interact with it....long press it.

Amazing.
The dev is a fucking genius.

Oh, and btw....who said the game it’s just a sequence of line mazes....lied big time or didn’t play it at all.

sheaaaa

So out of nowhere and by pure chance, I discovered something super cool about The Witness.
I’m not sure it’s a spoiler, but I’ll be as vague as possibile, even if it’s just an interface thing.

I’ll spoiler tag it, even if it’s not really a spoiler and as I said, I’ll be super vague (you recognize it only if you see it)

If you see something on the ground and you are unsure if you can interact with it....long press it.

Amazing.
The dev is a fucking genius.

Oh, and btw....who said the game it’s just a sequence of line mazes....lied big time or didn’t play it at all.

If you're talking about the
black monolith revelation, for the lack of a better phrase
, figuring out that you could actually do that blew my mind. One of my favourite gaming moments.

I blazed through Iron Marines pretty quickly but it's really great! They really nail the translation of an RTS to touchscreen. You're never controlling more than a few squads at a time, but you can change the unit type of the fly (mid-close range marines can be changed to snipers, a flamethrower mech can switch to a rocket launcher, etc). Base management is basically building and upgrading towers, but hey, the Ironhide's pretty good at that.

Anybody know when the third world in the campaign is released? Right now it just says "coming soon!"

Oynox

One of my favorite gamebooks, Ryan North's To be or not to be, just received a 64 bit update. Yay! Now give me one for Dungeon Raid please.

PittaGAF

If you're talking about the
black monolith revelation, for the lack of a better phrase
, figuring out that you could actually do that blew my mind. One of my favourite gaming moments.

Actually no.
I meant something incredibly simple but I didn't know it (it's not mentioned in the control help screen) so it was a nice surprise.

Not really a spoiler but...

I meant long pressing on those tiny recorders you sometimes find scattered around

Played till 3am last night (thanks God the battery was dead or I would be dead myself this morning), activated 2 beams, solved some other puzzles around but no new zones cracked yet.
I'm actually trying to crack some sort of village.

I'm totally in love with the game, the puzzles are so clever and (after you solve them) make totally sense.
Absolutely brilliant.

I won't do a goty list this year.
It's virtually impossibile.

EDIT:
Oh btw....I'm totally amazed that I have this gorgeous world in my pocket.
iPhone and AirPods is quite an experience at nights.
It's probably the best technical achievement I ever saw on an iOS device and for the first time (I was really dubious tbh) it's something 3D that I actually prefer on iOS. (Played a bit on pc yesterday at a friend place).
As others have said, Apple should install the game on iPhone X displays at Apple stores.
I wonder if on a iPhone X they can achieve the same lighting as in the PC version.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Saying the game is a sequence of line mazes is reductive but true, and that's not in a bad way.

Reading your posts so far about the game makes it pretty clear you haven't yet had the oh shit moment. I expect 64 GLORIOUS mentions when you do.

PittaGAF

Saying the game is a sequence of line mazes is reductive but true, and that's not in a bad way.

Reading your posts so far about the game makes it pretty clear you haven't yet had the oh shit moment. I expect 64 GLORIOUS mentions when you do.

Lol, now I’m really curious.
Actually I’ve already had a ton of fantastic moments, but really looking forward what you suggest.

I’m now at 109 +2 (the + was surely an amazing moment).
Yeah you ‘just’ draw lines on grids mechanically, but what I meant is that with just this mechanic they do all sort of things, which is pretty incredible to me.
Every new region it amazes me. (Not counting the puzzles where I have no clue about what to do).

It’s a game really really suited to mobile too (but the battery melting) because you can just explore around, solve 1-2 puzzles, an entire room or a whole region, ranging from 5 minutes to 4 hours.
I must have already played 10 hours since I downloaded the game.

bonesquad

I always felt I missed out on this part of The Witness. Not because that was spoiled, but (spoiler, kind of)
because I found the "ah ha" moment within 5 minutes of playing. Even before I did the first real set of puzzles (outside that starting castle) so I though that was going to be the main point of the game. Whoops.

Did FTL just update to 64-bit? I bought an iPad for the first time very recently and just randomly checked to see if FTL was available just now, and there’s a new version as of five minutes ago. Good timing if so, ha ha.

Pachimari

Thinking of getting The Witness if I’m going on a 12-hour long plane trip. That said, I didn’t really like it on PC but I got stuck really early on and probably only solved like four mazes or something.

killercow

Did FTL just update to 64-bit? I bought an iPad for the first time very recently and just randomly checked to see if FTL was available just now, and there’s a new version as of five minutes ago. Good timing if so, ha ha.

The "5m" that you see in the new appstore doesn't mean 5 minutes but 5 months ago. FTL was updated 5 months ago for iOS 11 :)

Will the IPad Pro 12.9 run games for a few years with no worries? Mostly attracted to tablet versions of Darkest Dungeon and the like but it'd be nice to run anything.

kendrid

Banned
Will the IPad Pro 12.9 run games for a few years with no worries? Mostly attracted to tablet versions of Darkest Dungeon and the like but it'd be nice to run anything.

The Pro is your best bet. I bought one because it should last years, and if it starts to be slow I'll just sell it and buy a new one.

Beware of Darkest Dungeon for iOS. Look at this review:
Be aware of this before purchasing and no that if you have an iPad Pro, the app will only fill a portion of the screen making the buttons very small and the app looks horrible. The buttons you have to push numerous times if you dont have small fingers. The Interface buttons for the whole game is very, very small, the buttons are half the size of a dime.

awp69

So ended up getting both Morphite and Kenshō after all. Haven’t played a lot of either yet, but figured I’d post some initial impressions.

As mentioned before, I had beta tested Morphite early in the process but kind of fell out of the test when my father passed away. But the final release is really impressive. Good voice acting and story telling. Gameplay is a mix of No Man’s Sky and Metroid games (much better than the former, while obviously not as good as the Metroid classics). It’s not the same devs as Exiles, which I thought was a disaster as far as Crescent Moon published games, so don’t worry about that. Much better populated than that game and story is better. Controls are decent but imagine it’s better with a controller on PC or console. I like it so far.

As far as Kenshō goes, it’s kind of mix of a match three and the sliding mechanics of Threes. Unlock keys to keep advancing and new obstacles and mechanics are introduced. Not amazingly original as far as gameplay but the music and atmospheric visuals really bump it up. The music has actually been released as a soundtrack on Spotify and iTunes — it’s that good.

colinp

Banned
The release of Steamworld Dig 2 for various systems I do not currently have access to made me pick up Steamworld Heist on iOS.

It is SUCH a good game! Having so much fun with it. Looks gorgeous, too.

I wonder if they’ll make a sequel to this next.

Matt Frost

So ended up getting both Morphite and Kenshō after all. Haven’t played a lot of either yet, but figured I’d post some initial impressions.

As mentioned before, I had beta tested Morphite early in the process but kind of fell out of the test when my father passed away. But the final release is really impressive. Good voice acting and story telling. Gameplay is a mix of No Man’s Sky and Metroid games (much better than the former, while obviously not as good as the Metroid classics). It’s not the same devs as Exiles, which I thought was a disaster as far as Crescent Moon published games, so don’t worry about that. Much better populated than that game and story is better. Controls are decent but imagine it’s better with a controller on PC or console. I like it so far

Morphite is amazing. As i keep playing it reminds me more of Metroid Prime and less No Mans Sky. They definitely took the right direction here. Reallt liking it

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The release of Steamworld Dig 2 for various systems I do not currently have access to made me pick up Steamworld Heist on iOS.

It is SUCH a good game! Having so much fun with it. Looks gorgeous, too.

I wonder if they’ll make a sequel to this next.
Pretty safe bet that a sequel is coming.

I could see Switch ports of their back catalogue be on the way to judging by the massive success Dig 2 has been on that platform so far.

HotHamBoy

Morphite is on PS4 and I think that's where I would rather play it, even with the price hike. Virtual controls just leave me wanting.

Game looks awesome, though.

Top Bottom