• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atmospheric concentration of CO2 reaches 410 PPM

Status
Not open for further replies.
But thats good for plants. Amirite?!
But we can't do anything about it without ruining the economy. Amirite?!
But these numbers are fake and the scientists are bought. Amirite?!
But we'll find a solution later down the line, don't worry. Amirite?!

What is this from?

The Newsroom.
This scene is a pretty accurate depiction actually.
We are already at a point where devastating effects of climate change are inevitable. Its about damage control now.

My only issue is that he uses the phrase "catastrophic failure of the planet". This isn't a failure of the planet. These are just changes that take place so rapidly that millions upon millions of people will die (as direct or indirect result of these changes) because we can't adapt fast enough. Countless animals and plants will go extinct, too, obviously.
But the planet is functioning just fine.

And here we go again, another thread of a bunch of people yelling "We're fucked, no hope left, trump and the gop are bad, we had a good run, everything is for nothing", etc.

Just defeatism at its finest, ignoring literally every other efforts that the rest of the world is taking to fight this stuff and saying that's all invalid by default because of reasons.

JordanN

Banned
And here we go again, another thread of a bunch of people yelling "We're fucked, no hope left, trump and the gop are bad, we had a good run, everything is for nothing", etc.

Just defeatism at its finest, ignoring literally every other efforts that the rest of the world is taking to fight this stuff and saying that's all invalid by default because of reasons.

But this was always happening before Trump.

The United States is still a major player and the fact the elected President denies science makes it hard to see past the doom.

It's like imagine you have a bowl of clean water. You could install a small filter to keep it clean but what happens when a big bucket (America) comes in and dumps all its garbage into it?

it will literally take miracles, so that's where the defeatism is coming from

WaterAstro

Yeah what effort?

Until the world completely stops relying on fossil fuel, eating too much beef, buying products with palm oil, no effort is going to change anything meaningful.

We need to come together as humans and find a solution to this and other problems facing us and future generations. Geohacking might help us regulate temperatures while we remove ourselves off of fossil fuels and onto sustainable renewable energy sources. Salting and cooling the poles would be a start and incentivizing solar and electric everything. Hell we should be mandating that all new cars are electric and invest in a huge infrastructure plan to modernize and electrify our interstate system. I'd go as far as to say if you need a new roof for your house you should be using solar tiles. It's not too late to give up on this planet.

gatti-man

This may sound dumb but I've always wondered why we can't just filter out the C02 out of the air. It's obviously not the best solution but if we will be suffering the effects even if we cut production why not just filter it out and store it somewhere compressed.

Ugh. "Because reasons" is the worst way to end posts I swear. Like nails on a chalkboard.

jb1234

I'm sure you recognize that you contribute to the loop in these threads. People do their defeatism thing, you bitch about them doing their defeatism thing, they bitch about you bitching about them and so on.

Ecotic

The United States is still a major player and the fact the elected President denies science makes it hard to see past the doom.

It's like imagine you have a bowl of clean water. You could install a small filter to keep it clean but what happens when a big bucket (America) comes in and dumps all its garbage into it?

The U.S. is more than just its President. Industry after industry is getting cleaner and more efficient. It's not even mostly altruism at play, it's widely taught in business schools all over the country and the world that using less energy, less materials, and polluting less saves money. Plus it's better for reputation and companies can market greener approaches. The U.S. is making progress in spite of itself.

cameron

We're dooooooomed!

This may sound dumb but I've always wondered why we can't just filter out the C02 out of the air. It's obviously not the best solution but if we will be suffering the effects even if we cut production why not just filter it out and store it somewhere compressed.

Not dumb at all. Various methods have been researched. The scale of the endeavour is just massive.

Dr.Acula

Banned
"[C]arbon dioxide has set a record high each year since measurements began. It stood at 280 ppm when record keeping began at Mauna Loa in 1958. In 2013, it passed 400 ppm."

Holy crap!

My only issue is that he uses the phrase "catastrophic failure of the planet". This isn't a failure of the planet. These are just changes that take place so rapidly that millions upon millions of people will die (as direct or indirect result of these changes) because we can't adapt fast enough. Countless animals and plants will go extinct, too, obviously.
But the planet is functioning just fine.

Well everything is from the perspective of people. Gun violence and income inequality are fine for the planet too. Climate change is a problem precisely because it affects people.

Effort doesn't rewind time, just slows the effects that are still going to come regardless. We're way past the point of rewinding time and taking it all back.

The planet is at the terminal stage, and we're the organisms shutting down. Right now our effort is just a concoction of drugs to slow the effect but no matter what...we're dying.

Ultryx

Is there anyway to remove CO2 from the atmosphere?

There are several different methods, but nothing that would be truly effective on the massive scale we require at this point. If we did away with fossil fuels and invested oh, say, $20B into alternative energies instead of building a fucking wall to keep Mexicans out we might have a better chance of mitigating the damages.

I'm sure you recognize that you contribute to the loop in these threads. People do their defeatism thing, you bitch about them doing their defeatism thing, they bitch about you bitching about them and so on.

I bitch about them doing their defeatism thing because I'm choosing to live my life to hope, rather than despair about the future.

I'm only 21. I have no choice but to look towards the future. So I'm not gonna just take it when I see some posts saying that we're all gonna be wiped out in about half a century from now just because of this one administration.

I want to get a girlfriend and get married. I want to have children. Can you imagine how much it irritates me when I hear people in these threads saying NOT to do the latter like the future's 100% set in stone?

I'm choosing not to believe in that bleak future, and living my life to the best I can, doing my part in the climate change fight in any way I can.

I want other people to feel the same way, no matter what the news says. That's why I speak up in these threads and get angry. I'm trying to ignite some ray of hope amidst all this despair that everyone's feeling.

I believe that humans will find a solution to climate change. Maybe not now, maybe not next year or ten years after, but eventually we'll find a solution.

That doesn't mean I don't feel scared about climate change. I do. But I can't let that fear affect how I communicate with others. Both IRL and online.

So if anything, I sure as hell won't be contributing to the despair in these threads.

Effort doesn't rewind time, just slows the effects that are still going to come regardless. We're way past the point of rewinding time and taking it all back.

The planet is at the terminal stage, and we're the organisms shutting down. Right now our effort is just a concoction of drugs to slow the effect but no matter what...we're dying.

We are NOT dying.

It's posts like these that infuriate me the most. These smug, arrogantly worded posts who's only purpose is to make yourself sound like the smartest person in the room.

YOU DO NOT KNOW THE FUTURE.

I believe in miracles. Humans have accomplished many miracles over time.

It's too late to change global habits, it's time to start mitigating inevitable damage.

Get the artificial trees up. Erupt some volcanoes. Make some clouds. Paint rooves white!

Just plant more trees. They'll filter out the CO2 and pump out O2. Problem solved.

Wasn't there research and development on plants that photosynthesis more efficiently thus grow quicker and bigger? Maybe that can help a bit but you would have to plant a lot of trees

Yeah what effort?

Until the world completely stops relying on fossil fuel, eating too much beef, buying products with palm oil, no effort is going to change anything meaningful.

COP 21?

Three years of flat emissions growth?

China's emissions stalling out and falling, falling well below previous estimates?

I don't know, actual data and stuff that show improvement in terms of world wide install rate of renewables and how fast it's displacing conventional fuel.

But as long as the issue isn't completely solved, it's just easy to say nothing has been done, because you don't actually see results until we're far along in the process.

There is nothing "miracle" like about long term policy and rapid advancements in technology (like the rapid drop in price of solar/wind and it's rapid installment rate worldwide). It's hard work and constant progress. COP 21 was the start of a solution that should have been started 30 years ago, but it's a solution none the less.

Aikidoka

Is there anyway to remove CO2 from the atmosphere?

As people have said, there are and this article does an overview: http://e360.yale.edu/features/can_pulling_carbon_from_air_make_a_difference_on_climate

But really it is not going to be a viable strategy any time soon. It may be a decade or more until we can pull 1 billion tons of CO2 from the atmosphere and store it some place. Compare this to the 40 or so billion tons we emit every year, currently. So, lowering our emissions and clean energy along with investing in infrastructure to prepare cities for devastating effects should be the highest priority.

diaspora

ITnHF5NvTHurbv1e4QCpWoy6usw=.gif

Famassu

The thing is that a lot of countries, even ones who claim to be doing shit & are part of the Paris agreement, are failing to achieve any kind of noticeable or good enough results. Even if they have much-lauded attempts to switch to cleaner energy etc., the fact is we aren't seeing much change to better when other stuff might be offsetting it. I.e. Finland is building a lot of renewable energy and we've had a bit of a vegan food breakthrough within the last 1-2 years, but last year we produced a record amount of meat and we are cutting our forests like there is no tomorrow and using massive shittons of peat from swamps etc. So for every step forward we take at least a step or two back and the situation is pretty much +/-0. The situation is basically this:

The red line is reality due to us not doing much and increased forest cuts causing less CO2 to be swallowed, blue line is what our government is claiming their (non)actions are doing and green is what it should be.

andthebeatgoeson

Cool thing about the Earth is that it'll survive. Earth's not dying, we are just making it impossible for us to survive as we have known. Earth will survive, for another billion years at least.

We would be self absorbed to not take responsibility by saying 'Earth is dying.' Naw, we just shit the bed. The bed will keep rotating. Some life will recover. That may include some humans.

Aikidoka

We are NOT dying.

It's posts like these that infuriate me the most. These smug, arrogantly worded posts who's only purpose is to make yourself sound like the smartest person in the room.

YOU DO NOT KNOW THE FUTURE.

And somehow you don't think your belligerence comes off as smug and arrogant? Surely you at least see the irony at yelling that "you do not know the future" while stating that we will for sure solve the problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom