• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where can I keep up with upcoming patches?

Also, any tips on getting out of a crap skill bracket (I keep getting matched with first-timers).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
YOU MUST REALIZE MILK, GOING SOLO AXE MID WITH 1.09, HYUN AND SWIFT BACKING YOU UP IS NOT THE SAME AS GOING AXE WITH PUBBIES.

Where can I keep up with upcoming patches?

Also, any tips on getting out of a crap skill bracket (I keep getting matched with first-timers).

Play aggressive pusher characters. Veno/Rhasta are crazy in pubs.

Get good with a pub stomper like bounty hunter or nightstalker and you'll excel.

In general pick characters that fit any lineup, are strong early/midgame and can push.

Artanisix

IM JUST SAYIN IT WORKS NO MATTER WHO I'M PLAYING WITH
as long as milabrega brings the big potm carries and as long as you're laning against melee

Play aggressive pusher characters. Veno/Rhasta are crazy in pubs.

Get good with a pub stomper like bounty hunter or nightstalker and you'll excel.

In general pick characters that fit any lineup, are strong early/midgame and can push.

Cool thanks, I'll try that. I was playing my favorite chars like Doombringer/Silencer lol

vinicius

Neo Member
Accidentally queued for SD and short story shorter, Leshrac is my new favorite hero. Dude is a powerhouse.
I'm having problems with people playing SD without having some base-knowledge of at least most of the heroes. This guy on my team tried to play Invoker without knowing the first thing about quas. It was a sad match. But yeah, I like SD because it makes me play with more heroes than I usually do.

Deadstar

I'm having problems with people playing SD without having some base-knowledge of at least most of the heroes. This guy on my team tried to play Invoker without knowing the first thing about quas. It was a sad match. But yeah, I like SD because it makes me play with more heroes than I usually do.

Invoker is not easy to learn. I only have around 90 hours in Dota and I won't even touch him.

vinicius

Neo Member
Invoker is not easy to learn. I only have around 90 hours in Dota and I won't even touch him.
Yes, that's the problem. Of all heroes he chose Invoker.
And he's not that hard to play, he's hard to master. You can be really effective just knowing how to Coldsnap/EPM/Cyclone/Deafening Blast but takes time and practice to know when to use his other spells. He's my most played hero, I consider myself OK with him and I can't bring myself to remember and use Ice Wall.

lordy88

And....I just got into the beta.

I used to play a lot back when Dota was in its early stages (giant hydra and dryad FTW!), but after taking a break, I forgot all of the skills/stats/items and saw it is way too large of an obstacle to get back into the game.

I'll check it out this weekend, but I was wondering if the community is at all semi-noob friendly. I'd hate to jump in and find myself getting completely demolished while having my teammates curse frantically at me for not keeping the pace.

Haly

I used to play a lot back when Dota was in its early stages (giant hydra and dryad FTW!), but after taking a break, I forgot all of the skills/stats/items and saw it is way too large of an obstacle to get back into the game.

I'll check it out this weekend, but I was wondering if the community is at all semi-noob friendly. I'd hate to jump in and find myself getting completely demolished while having my teammates curse frantically at me for not keeping the pace.
Ahahaha, no.

Best of luck.

Haly

Me and people like me are the minority in this community.

Hylian7

You might find them somewhat friendly since you know what you are doing, but other than that, not really.

Last night I was Windrunner teamed with Sand King on top lane against Broodmother and Lina. BM was making things real difficult, and Lina would bring the burst damage down on us mercilessly.

What do I do in that situation?

mbmonk

I am mostly getting matched with fellow noob players, but I have found if I let my teammates know at the beginning of the game that I am a noob they tend to take that into account. Then they either hardly yell at me or actually try to give me advice.

I am really terrible at this game, but I haven't been abused by other players much. Again I am at the lowest level possible in the game.

Haly

I would say you should not be losing to BM and Lina as WR and SK.

But that's not what you want to hear.

What you want to hear is:

- SK should be leveling his passive, with only one level in sand storm in order to juke. His passive completely and totally shuts down BM's pushing power, which is all she has.

- WR should be leveling like normal, 1 in Shackle, 1 in Windrun and 3 in Power Shot. Again, this is mostly to combat BM's pushing, and also because Power Shot hits invisible units.

- Lastly, and this is by far the most important, buy sentry wards. Have them up 24/7 at key locations in the lane. The first one you should save for a gank. Basically, harass BM when she shows herself until she gets low enough to burst down. Then have WR stand in position to shackle. Slap down the ward, SK stuns, get a hit in, then WR Shackles and Power shots. If you do it right there is no chance of BM living through this. After she's dead, Lina is easy kill.

- Your other option is to repeatedly kill Lina, which is pretty easy with SK and WR. BM has no stuns, only her slow and her nuke. If she tries to help Lina after SK stuns, then it'll just be easier for WR to land a Shackle, and then both of them will be raped.

I would say you should not be losing to BM and Lina as WR and SK.

But that's not what you want to hear.

What you want to hear is:

- SK should be leveling his passive, with only one level in sand storm in order to juke. His passive completely and totally shuts down BM's pushing power, which is all she has.

- WR should be leveling like normal, 1 in Shackle, 1 in Windrun and 3 in Power Shot. Again, this is mostly to combat BM's pushing, and also because Power Shot hits invisible units.

- Lastly, and this is by far the most important, buy sentry wards. Have them up 24/7 at key locations in the lane. The first one you should save for a gank. Basically, harass BM when she shows herself until she gets low enough to burst down. Then have WR stand in position to shackle. Slap down the ward, SK stuns, get a hit in, then WR Shackles and Power shots. If you do it right there is no chance of BM living through this. After she's dead, Lina is easy kill.

- Your other option is to repeatedly kill Lina, which is pretty easy with SK and WR. BM has no stuns, only her slow and her nuke. If she tries to help Lina after SK stuns, then it'll just be easier for WR to land a Shackle, and then both of them will be raped.

OK. It was obvious that SK was just as new to the game as I am, so no surprise we couldn't make it work. I have no idea what his abilities do, and I doubt he did mine.

Good to know, thanks.

Haly

New players are especially bad at handling BM because they don't or won't buy sentries.

lordy88

I am mostly getting matched with fellow noob players, but I have found if I let my teammates know at the beginning of the game that I am a noob they tend to take that into account. Then they either hardly yell at me or actually try to give me advice.

I am really terrible at this game, but I haven't been abused by other players much. Again I am at the lowest level possible in the game.

Good point, and I will be sure to mention this at the start of my games. Thanks for the notes everyone.

SaberVulcan

Ive gotten to the point where if someone tells me they are new, I will help them as much as possible during the game. However, usually if they say nothing and I try to give them advice I am just berated with curses throughout so I just squelch them. Due to this I rarely talk in games at all unless I want to push or gank.

Just don't let douches prevent you from enjoying the game. Ask for advice, atleast 1 player in your game will probably be a nice enough guy to give you tips if asked, but will remain quiet most of the game.

Guesong

I wonder what Milkman thinks about Dignitas picking the worst hero in the game.

Warlock AND Prophet in the same game...same team even. That's pecular.

EDIT : Death Prophet ofc.

SaberVulcan

I wonder what Milkman thinks about Dignitas picking the worst hero in the game.

Warlock AND Prophet in the same game...same team even. That's pecular.

EDIT : Death Prophet ofc.

Warlock is pretty bad, he has some good synergy with heroes like Veno but I always found DP pretty damn good if you have stun/slows so Exorcism hits.

n0b

I'm just happy that for once someone is building leshrac right. I hate seeing people wasting levels on lightning.

(Also warlock is good but he honestly doesn't get enough levels as a support.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom