• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 trailer coming out [Thursday]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkel

Banned
Animation especially is very noticeable worse than other good looking games.

It's still very impressive for a game made on that budget but I was also disappointed when I saw it running on ultra (everything max except that 4x downsampling or what that was) after hearing lots of people say it was next-gen before real next-gen titles like SW1313 and Watch_Dogs were shown.

Still looking forward to this game. I like cyberpunk.

Don't provoke Dennis.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
But he is known for high res PC screenshots. A format of showing a game that doesn't show off good animation systems.

Rest assured that any kind of animation you saw in SW1313 footage ( clarification : animation from the parts people continuously gif and whatnot, not walking and taking cover behind some crates blowing up ) was entirely canned. You won't get animation as complex as that in a game in this day and age. While I don't think TW2 has anything resembling state of the art animation - it's still animation from a game, not a scripted "next-gen demo".

Perkel

Banned
But he is known for high res PC screenshots. A format of showing a game that doesn't show off good animation systems.

I don't get this animation system problem. Face lipsync ? because there are many gifs which prove that TW2 have awesome animations :D (not in game). TW2 fighting animations are notch above what we have today in TPP RPG.

Don't provoke Dennis.

I don't think he would disagree. The textures are decent but flat, so they added sharpening which is overdone, so things are often either flat or oversharpened. Shadows are a terrible dithered mess. And the bloom is so overdone it's unusable. Then there's the pop-in, lack of shadows in interiors, and probably more bad stuff I don't even remember.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't get this animation system problem. Face lipsync ? because there are many gifs which prove that TW2 have awesome animations :D (not in game). TW2 fighting animations are notch above what we have today in TPP RPG.
Face lipsync is very bad yes. As I said I understand the reason, it's budget. I just said I was disappointed. I bought the game for friends, own the collector's edition and have still 3 unused copies sitting around.

But the game doesn't have good animation blending which is a big factor in what makes a game look good to me. I don't have an issue with individual animations that play, they are as good as Kingdom's of Amalur but that game also lacks any form of animation blending for movement.

Games that have that: AC2, Uncharted 2+, Dragon's Dogma, Euphoria based games, Batman.
Based on what has been seen: SW1313, The Last of Us and Watch Dogs.
It's about layering and breadth of animations. Having everything flow seamless and be reactive.
(Compare Batman or Drake dropping off a ledge vs. Geralt. Geralt is always the same animation because you can't just go over any geometry and it's one animation repeated.)

About best fighting animations, I think TW2 is a noticeable step below Dragon's Dogma when you talk about TPP RPG.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I agree about animation blending. It was awful in TW2.

And this really bothers me about 1313. Animations can be stored in RAM or they can be streamed (UC3). If 1313 is aimed at next gen than they have a larger memory budget then they could pull this off. Animations in E3 trailer looked very good but appropriately gamey. I'd say animations impressed me most about it, not graphics.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Indeed, as I said, considering all the hype on these boards, I expected to be blown away like when I first played Crysis, and instead, I wasn't even impressed.

The game can look good in screenshots, great even, but in motion it fails to impress with a static and stiff world, linearity, terrible lip syncing, etc.

Saying that The Witcher 2 was better than what we would get on the 720 and PS4 was a common argument. Aside from IQ, that is beyond ridiculous.

Crysis 1-2 and now 3 do way more. Hell, if you ran Killzone 2 or Uncharted 3 on PC with ubersampling and an HD texture pack, it would be a ton more impressive.

Violater

But CDPR hasn't stated this will come to the PS3, only the PC and next-gen consoles.

Crap, I am mixing up my games here, I need to take a timeout.

Ohh and what
lol

Lulubop

Breathe deeply.

I don't think so, everyone already knows this is a next-gen title. To be honest I would not be surprised if the PC version looks even better than the Orbis/Durango one.

You mean like every multiplatform game will look? Why would you be surprised.

Perkel

Banned
Face lipsync is very bad yes. As I said I understand the reason, it's budget. I just said I was disappointed. I bought the game for friends, own the collector's edition and have still 3 unused copies sitting around.

But the game doesn't have good animation blending which is a big factor in what makes a game look good to me. I don't have an issue with individual animations that play, they are as good as Kingdom's of Amalur but that game also lacks any form of animation blending for movement.

Games that have that: AC2, Uncharted 2+, Dragon's Dogma, Euphoria based games, Batman.
Based on what has been seen: SW1313, The Last of Us and Watch Dogs.
It's about layering and breadth of animations. Having everything flow seamless and be reactive.
(Compare Batman or Drake dropping off a ledge vs. Geralt. Geralt is always the same animation because you can't just go over any geometry and it's one animation repeated.)

About best fighting animations, I think TW2 is a noticeable step below Dragon's Dogma when you talk about TPP RPG.

More like DD is step above what we have in TPP RPG gengre. Aside from lip sync, dropping from ledge and Walk>Run animation i can't really find any not good animation. Actually most of animations are well blended aside from ladder, dropping from ledge/climbing and opening doors. Still i don't see it being critical fail to not consider it beautifull game.

subversus

More like DD is step above what we have in TPP RPG gengre. Aside from lip sync, dropping from ledge and Walk>Run animation i can't really find any not good animation. Actually most of animations are well blended aside from ladder, dropping from ledge/climbing and opening doors. Still i don't see it being critical fail to not consider it beautifull game.

the problem is that people see walk-run transition more often than any other animation in the game. So this impression lasts.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
the problem is that people see walk-run transition more often than any other animation in the game. So this impression lasts.
It's not just walk->run transition. It's overall movement. Sharp right. Then quick 180deg. Slow 180deg turn.
Having little geometry in front of you and walking over it. There are loads of things that are related to movement that are little things but they add up.

Animations is just something I look at a lot. I can't help it.

Another issue that I didn't like in TW2 in regards to animation are the finisher moves. You can be engaged with 3 enemies, then you do a finisher on one, get transported to a different part of the map that looks sort of similar to the one you're fighting in and have an animation play out while time all around you is frozen.
I'm not trying to nitpick, and I can enjoy other games that have a sort of okay animation system. It's just the contrast between very nice models and texture work and the animation system and everything tied to it.

Also: You're probably right to say DD is above all others in that department instead of putting TW2 down.

injurai

Banned
To be honest, while non-shitty animation is important. What is actually Important to me is the ability to lose sight of the constantly present barrier of control that presents itself. I want to play a game without having sluggish results from my imput. I want to feel that i'm actively controlling the world and not limited be how the game tries to convey these actions for me.

If I can't sent my p-c into a violent marionette spin then something is wrong with the game.

Perkel

Banned
To be honest, while non-shitty animation is important. What is actually Important to me is the ability to lose sight of the constantly present barrier of control that presents itself. I want to play a game without having sluggish results from my imput. I want to feel that i'm actively controlling the world and not limited be how the game tries to convey these actions for me.

If I can't sent my p-c into a violent marionette spin then something is wrong with the game.

RPG with euphoria engine that would be interesting.

Wolfe

Also, hasn't scientific and technological progression accelerated in the last 40 or so years with the advent of computers?

While I don't know about flying cars, by 2077, I'm pretty sure, there'll be certain technologies (esp, with all the talk of 3D printing) available for most that we think of infeasible with our current outlook.

That is exactly the case due to tech advancements being exponential, the older tech helps create the newer tech and it gets faster as it goes.

RedSwirl

TW2's animation is just about the only thing that betrays its budget in the face of all those AAA games we're all used to. Every game can't have Uncharted-level animation.

BigTnaples

Got a feeling this is going to look insane.

Neon HDR lighting. Everywhere.

Hoping so but doubting it.

If they pull some neon everywhere with light sources and real time local reflections goodness like Cryengine 3 and Unreal 3-4 are doing then I will be seriously impressed.

Oh and please throw in some Bokeh DoF as well. Shits beautiful ESPECIALLY with light sources.

BigTnaples

actually there was nothing wrong besides animation

Fair enough, I suppose "wrong" was too harsh of a word. There wasn't anything specifically wrong with the graphics other than the animation. The game is quite good looking.

It was just there were things missing that to me personally, made claims that Witcher 2 was next gen level graphics, and all the hype, unwarranted.

Im a big effects guy, which is why to me anyways, games like Battlefield 3, Crysis 1-3, Killzone 2, Uncharted 2-3, Metro 2033, etc etc are more impressive to me.

High poly counts and high fidelity textures are very nice, but I personally need to see more than that to be blown away.

99%

I think its a bit much to expect cd projekt go toe to toe with the big boys eh.

Im just hoping for a cool game and that the open world aspect wont water the game down.

BigTnaples

I think its a bit much to expect cd projekt go toe to toe with the big boys eh.

Im just hoping for a cool game and that the open world aspect wont water the game down.

That's the thing. From these boards one would think they are AHEAD of the big boys. This is why some people are disappointed when they play it. People on the boards bill TW2 as a next gen game that stands with Crysis 1-2, BF3, Metro 2033, etc as some of the best looking games ever made.

Then upon playing the game, it becomes apparent that is not the case. It is a fine looking game, and an exceptional leap over the already serviceable TW1. It just is not in league with what people here say it is.

Not only that but it continues in this thread, with people seemingly expecting Cyberpunk to outdo the big boys.

I would LOVE to see that happen, but I am keeping my expectations in check.

subversus

Shadow Dithering.

what is it?

*turns ubersampling on*

I kid

That's the thing. From these boards one would think they are AHEAD of the big boys. This is why some people are disappointed when they play it. People on the boards bill TW2 as a next gen game that stands with Crysis 1-2, BF3, Metro 2033, etc as some of the best looking games ever made.

Then upon playing the game, it becomes apparent that is not the case. It is a fine looking game, and an exceptional leap over the already serviceable TW1. It just is not in league with what people here say it is.

Not only that but it continues in this thread, with people seemingly expecting Cyberpunk to outdo the big boys.

I would LOVE to see that happen, but I am keeping my expectations in check.

People here are more excited about gameplay than graphics. Everybody expect an ambitious RPG made with passion because that's what CD Projekt do. Graphics being good is cool and all but they just add to the overall experience. There is a different mindset at CDP Red than what you see at most western studios. Even if TW3 doesn't set the world on fire they'll make another one if they feel like doing it. That's what I got from people who have been working with them for a long time. Reduced costs help this a lot though.

People feel such attitude because it goes into their game. So this is the main reason why people are so excited, I think. When people say they are ahead of the pack, they don't mean production values (even though they certainly have better production values than their main competitor).

^^^ I am excited about gameplay as well the graphics aren't to important for me it can look like witcher 2 and I'd be good as long as it draws me into the world with it's story.

99%

I am honestly suprised that they havent been snapped up yet by ms or sony.

At a fraction of the cost of western studios they could add great wrpgs to their stable which would give them loads of cred with hardcore gamers.

BigTnaples

what is it?

*turns ubersampling on*

I kid

People here are more excited about gameplay than graphics. Everybody expect an ambitious RPG made with passion because that's what CD Projekt do. Graphics being good is cool and all but they just add to the overall experience. There is a different mindset at CDP Red than what you see at most western studios. Even if TW3 doesn't set the world on fire they'll make another one if they feel like doing it. That's what I got from people who have been working with them for a long time. Reduced costs help this a lot though.

People feel such attitude because it goes into their game. So this is the main reason why people are so excited, I think. When people say they are ahead of the pack, they don't mean production values (even though they certainly have better production values than their main competitor).

We are in full agreement here.

With the Witchter 2 though I am just referring to all the graphical specific posts, like people saying Durango and Orbis couldn't come close to TW2 graphically, and posters in the PC Screenshot thread hailing it as the graphical king. The gameplay was everything it should have been, the graphics however disappointing me given the graphics specific hype.

CDPR has my full support, love their games, I am just not as impressed with them graphically as others here are.

Lingitiz

At a fraction of the cost of western studios they could add great wrpgs to their stable which would give them loads of cred with hardcore gamers.

For the love of God, no.

I don't think they want to abandon the PC as platform, they seem to be pretty popular in Eastern Europe. They would probably lose many fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom