• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: new Super Mario for Wii U, Reveal at E3 [Update: Based On E3 2011 Game]

gerudoman

I have a question for people who feel this way: when/how did you develop this preference? Was Super Mario 64 the first Mario game you played? Was it your favorite? Did it redefine Mario games for you? Cause none of the Mario games before 64 placed a big emphasis on non-linear exploration. There were branching paths and things like that, but it was pretty straight forward. I loved Mario 64 when I played it in middle school, but it never really felt like "Mario" to me. I'm not saying preferring Mario 64 style games is wrong, I'm just curious about how you all developed that preference.

Mario 64 was my first 3D Mario and still my favourite 3D one, but it wasn't my first Mario (it was World, which is curiously mi favourite 2D Mario :p). It's true that 64 and Sunshine have much less platforming and the formula was way different from previous games, but I think it worked really well, and maybe it was this fresh air what really engaged me. I didn't really see the necessity of having the exact same formulas in both 3D and 2D games.

Galaxy still had some quite big levels and backtracking, but Galaxy 2 completely took rid of them. I think 3D Marios should always keep a balance between classic linear platforming and the adventure, the very own trademark of the 3D series since its beginning.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Reading the interview about New Super Mario Bros. Mii, there doesn't seem to be any implications that it's not a real game.

Nintendo has disappeared plenty of "real games" before though. Just look at the history of Kirby... @_@

As for this new game, has anyone considered a 3D AND 2D game combined? They've really been trying to get people who like 2D Mario to play 3D Mario for a while now.

What about a game where it plays more or less like Galaxy on the TV, and then Mario warps to 2D levels on the tablet screen?

Same graphic engine, just 2.5D gameplay.

udivision

A new Mario game unveiled with a Nintendo console reveal? Well color me surprised ...

I wonder if this has anything to do with the recently purchased "Super Mario 4" domain.

Hoping for either a new Galaxy-esque game or some completely new take on 3D Mario.

I think that was purchased in 2007.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Count me among those who are praying for 3D.

Also, I hope it is not simply another Galaxy. I want them to reach even further.

Reach for the stars Miyamoto!

26l7y.png

Truth101

Banned
Nintendo has disappeared plenty of "real games" before though. Just look at the history of Kirby... @_@

As for this new game, has anyone considered a 3D AND 2D game combined? They've really been trying to get people who like 2D Mario to play 3D Mario for a while now.

What about a game where it plays more or less like Galaxy on the TV, and then Mario warps to 2D levels on the tablet screen?

Same graphic engine, just 2.5D gameplay.

Did you completely miss SM3DL?

udivision

Remember the "How to Play Mario Galaxy" DVD?
Even though the galaxies have sold 16 mil combined, Nintendo is still trying to figure out how to make 3d mario "more accessible." We're not going to see galaxy trumped in complexity, I bet, but the better hardware might allow for bigger levels.

Mario 64 isn't even "real" Mario to me. Mario 64 and Sunshine are like weird aberrations in my mind. Linear, left --> right Mario games are what I look for in Mario. The Galaxy games translate that to 3D beautifully.

But that's just me. I realize this is a subjective thing, hah.

I agree. Even SMW was a little too nonlinear to me.

Mario is mostly about quick precision platforming to me. SMB3 hit the right balance.

Has anyone ever thought that the new 2D Mario Bros. game confirmed for Nintendo 3DS will have some interactivity with the Mario game confirmed for Wii U (kind of like Smash Bros. 4).

Have not forgot. But technically.

Satoru Iwata
"there will also be a new 2D Mario this year."
Could be Paper Mario. Could be Mario vs Donkey Kong. Could be something different.
Yeah but I think it's fairly obvious what Iwata was refering to. He was calming down investors telling them of a guaranteed big hit for the holidays. We all know what he meant by a 2D Mario especially in the context given.

I have a question for people who feel this way: when/how did you develop this preference? Was Super Mario 64 the first Mario game you played? Was it your favorite? Did it redefine Mario games for you? Cause none of the Mario games before 64 placed a big emphasis on non-linear exploration. There were branching paths and things like that, but it was pretty straight forward. I loved Mario 64 when I played it in middle school, but it never really felt like "Mario" to me. I'm not saying preferring Mario 64 style games is wrong, I'm just curious about how you all developed that preference.

My first introduction into the series was 64. So I probably agree that's how people got their preference for more non-linear things. With that said I'd also disagree and say that SMW was pretty open and had a ton of secrets hidden everywhere as well. Obviously a 2D platformer is naturally going to be linear but it had a lot more explorative elements.

With that said I found Galaxy 2 to be superior over 64. I didn't think Galaxy was.

Remember the "How to Play Mario Galaxy" DVD?
Even though the galaxies have sold 16 mil combined, Nintendo is still trying to figure out how to make 3d mario "more accessible." We're not going to see galaxy trumped in complexity, I bet, but the better hardware might allow for bigger levels.
Have you been keeping track of 3D Land's sales? I believe it's steadily on track to becoming the best selling 3D game. It's easily surpassed all 3D entries in Japan and shows no signs of stopping. It still has good legs in NA as well.

Socreges

Banned
For all the people sarcastically saying "Shocking News", the announcement is that it'll be at E3, not "there will eventually be a Mario game on this console". And correct me if I'm wrong but Nintendo revealing their Mario games so early on in a console's life cycle hasn't been something that they do in over a decade.

Foffy

Banned
Shocking. Companies need to really stop milking the cow.

It's hard to say no when Nintendo has some of if not the best cattle in the industry to milk. It's not like Cowwadooty where the games are essentially the same thing every year. We actually get years without a new Mario platformer.

this is awesome (if not unexpected) news ^_^

the big question for me is how will the tablet be used? can the interface on the TV/tablet be swapped at any time? also, obviously once the game is released, how fast can a speed-run be accomplished?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Reach for the non-Galaxy Stars dammit

It was a great series, but they need something really new for Wii-U imo

I don't really know where they can go for the main series Mario games after Galaxy. Space was just an excuse to do whatever the fuck they wanted to do.

I don't really know where they can go for the main series Mario games after Galaxy. Space was just an excuse to do whatever the fuck they wanted to do.

Haha, very true.

I've wanted an interconnected Super Mario World for the longest time. Basically, make it spherical like in Galaxy, but just one huge planet rather than a bunch of small ones. Well, maybe have some moons and whatnot, but keep it local. Fast travel could be done by canons, stars, or even just straight up warping in a menu on the tablet.

Amir0x

Banned
whoa are you guys saying Nintendo console is going to have a Mario game? And that it'll be announced alongside the console re-revealing proper, just like virtually every other Nintendo platform ever? There surely is a drought of those on Wii and 3DS...boy, it's been out a full year, and it only has, what, fifty billion Mario games announced for it?

I can tell Nintendo is really going for their creative juices with this announcement, what a scoop for El Mundo and Eurogamer.

BHZ Mayor

My dream Mario game would be structured like Banjo Kazooie where you travel across a living world, but each section of that world has multiple levels like Mario 64. Also the levels would be made so you don't get kicked out after collecting a star. Have all the objectives available at one. Imagine for example, if in the Galaxy games, instead of the level being rebuilt for each star, they were actually different sections of the world that you traveled to.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
whoa are you guys saying Nintendo console is going to have a Mario game? And that it'll be announced alongside the console re-revealing proper, just like virtually every other Nintendo platform ever? There surely is a drought of those on Wii and 3DS...boy, it's been out a full year, and it only has, what, fifty billion Mario games announced for it?

I can tell Nintendo is really going for their creative juices with this announcement, what a scoop for El Mundo and Eurogamer.

You are the first person to note that this is an obvious announcement. Congratulations!

Nintendo needs sure hits. Mario ensures that.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I think it's interesting that Miyamoto directly mentioned the tablet controller when he was talking about the upcoming Mario game.

Miyamoto hasn't used Mario to sell a controller since Mario 64 methinks.

There's going to be some neat stuff in this one.

Medalion

Banned
I think it's interesting that Miyamoto directly mentioned the tablet controller when he was talking about the upcoming Mario game.

Like how Wii Motion Plus was pimped for Skyward Sword, and look how much controversy it caused after release

WillyFive

The galaxy games were excellent, but they removed the exploration and expanse that 64 and sunshine had. The Galaxy levels felt much smaller than there 3D counterparts.

Yes, I'd also like a return to the gameplay of Mario 64.

But the market has spoken and they only want the simpler 2D or 2D-like Mario games.

Medalion

Banned
People are getting a little burnt out on Mario... doesn't matter if the quality is there or not

Nintendo is playing it too safe, and relying on this as a crutch instead of making it a premier once in a while gem

Seriously, it's like we get a Mario game almost every other month at the rate it was going

Actually Super Mario 128(which eventually became Galaxy) was a main factor to the Wii controller. Miyamoto even compared the Wii controller's development with Super Mario 128 to N64 controller's development with Super Mario 64.

Amir0x

Banned
You are the first person to note that this is an obvious announcement. Congratulations!

Nintendo needs sure hits. Mario ensures that.

An announcement so obvious needs responses that are equally obvious - there is virtually no real discussion to be had from the news Nintendo is going to whore Mario out in fifty more Wii U iterations.

The real news would be if Nintendo announced a real dedication to brand new hardcore IPs that are unrelated to that whored-out brands. That would impress me.

People are getting a little burnt out on Mario... doesn't matter if the quality is there or not

Nintendo is playing it too safe, and relying on this as a crutch instead of making it a premier once in a while gem

Seriously, it's like we get a Mario game almost every other month at the rate it was going

What suggests that people are getting burnt out on Mario? The last 2D Mario and the last 3D Mario are some of the best selling games in their respective series.

I do agree that they need to be better controlled but other than SMG2 screwing some things up it seems one 2D Mario and one 3D Mario per system. That seems fair to me. It's the tons of spin offs that make things look a lot bigger.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
An announcement so obvious needs responses that are equally obvious - there is virtually no real discussion to be had from the news Nintendo is going to whore Mario out in fifty more Wii U iterations.

The real news would be if Nintendo announced a real dedication to brand new hardcore IPs that are unrelated to that whored-out brands. That would impress me.

You and I both want that, but I believe there is some at least some discussion to be had from the fact that there is also a 3DS Mario game coming out in the holiday season and what effects this Mario game would have it came out at launch or very close to launch.

Pachimari

Seeing the trend of Nintendo revealing games "close" to their release, I think there'll be a chance of a full blown 3D Mario game for the Wii U launch.

Amir0x

Banned
You and I both want that, but I believe there is some at least some discussion to be had from the fact that there is also a 3DS Mario game coming out in the holiday season and what effects this Mario game would have it came out at launch or very close to launch.

Paper Mario 3DS? What other Mario 3DS game?

I don't think a Mario RPG would effect Wii U Mario game, presuming it's a platformer.

I doubt Mario Wii U would make launch. Nintendo would definitely not risk a low polish Mario game just to rush to launch, but then again maybe it's one of those 'we need one marquee title to lead the show, so let's put 300 guys on it to finish it' type of things.

Top Bottom