• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Mythology coming to steam?

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Looks like they will add some extra content like they did with the Forgotten expansion for AoE II. Can't wait for this

Sande

When AoE2 HD came out I was like "No Mythology? I guess this'll have to do". Now that money feels slightly wasted.

Yes-Signs-Held-By-Fans.gif

sooo good

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Day fucking one. I loved playing as the Norse, so easy to build random forts on the map just to fuck with an opponent.

Asiriya

Neo Member
Mmm, HD textures please, maybe clean up some of the animations if possible. And bigger armies (and increased selected unit numbers), no reason to limit army size when PCs are so powerful now!

Sesha

Yes! Amazing if true. One of my favourite RTS, and the last one I really played properly.

Why did we never have a sequel, again?

Tablo

O: This would be fucking awesome. So happy AoE getting some respect/rejuvenation since apparently they gave up post AoE III because MS had the fucking amazing foresight to close Ensemble Studios smfh ._.

Sibylus

Banned
I was pleased with AoE2 HD + TE, will pick this up down the line if it receives similar support and polish.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
RISE OF NATIONS

RISE OF NATIONS

KEEP ON RISING

RISEOFNATIONSKEEPONRISING

YOU RISING NATIONS

KEEP ON RISING

NATIONS

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So as far as Rise of Nations goes, somebody seems to planning to do something with the games since that is the stuff that got bought from the 38 Studios IP Auction.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/38...doms-of-amalur-reckoning-sequel/1100-6416719/

As for assets that did sell, Land said five parties actively participated in the auction and two lots were ultimately sold. One lot included Rise of Nations and Rise of Legends games and associated intellectual property; the second was for the Big Huge Games trademark itself.

Gross proceeds for both lots was $320,000, though buyers were not mentioned. In total, more than 20 parties expressed interest in the assets, Land said.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So as far as Rise of Nations goes, somebody seems to planning to do something with the games since that is the stuff that got bought from the 38 Studios IP Auction.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/38...doms-of-amalur-reckoning-sequel/1100-6416719/

The issue, as I've said, is that the buyer only bought the Rise of * IPs; the fact remains that whatever "portions" were owned by Microsoft when the games released are still owned by Microsoft. This is the reason why there are two distinct apps in the Steam registry for RoN Gold and neither went anywhere.

The issue, as I've said, is that the buyer only bought the Rise of * IPs; the fact remains that whatever "portions" were owned by Microsoft when the games released are still owned by Microsoft. This is the reason why there are two distinct apps in the Steam registry for RoN Gold and neither went anywhere.

Cant it take time though? For example FF 7 took forever to come.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

What if the buyer was Microsoft?

JaseC

So there is not chance it can happen?

There's a chance, sure, but what it boils down to is, either:

1) Microsoft and RoN IP Owner agree on a revenue split, or,
2) RoN IP Owner buys out the "portions" Microsoft owns

Both are rather sticky situations. Similarly, Wolf09 hasn't returned to Steam despite publishing rights defaulting to Bethesda almost two years ago: either Acti and Bethesda agree on a revenue split, as the game was developed by Raven (an Acti-owned studio) and published by Acti, or Bethesda forks over enough cash to buy the game outright, the latter of which is a particularly bad road to take if Acti is demanding that Bethesda pay for whatever development/marketing costs sales failed to recoup during Acti's tenure.

What if the buyer was Microsoft?

That's a big "if" considering the auction was almost three months ago. Microsoft buying RoN would mean it owned everything pertaining to RoN and so there'd be no roadblocks. Both RoN Gold apps in the Steam regisry are as lifeless as ever. :(

Apoptomon

Man, I remember playing this a lot, so many LAN wars with friends back in the day. IIRC I usually played as Zeus, Hades or Cronos. This thread kinda reminded me how I miss Ensemble and RTS games (are there good modern ones?).

As far as precedents for updated re-releases go, how is AoE II HD?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
There's a chance, sure, but what it boils down to is, either:

1) Microsoft and RoN IP Owner agree on a revenue split, or,
2) RoN IP Owner buys out the "portions" Microsoft owns

Both are rather sticky situations. Similarly, Wolf09 hasn't returned to Steam despite publishing rights defaulting to Bethesda almost two years ago: either Acti and Bethesda agree on a revenue split, as the game was developed by Raven (an Acti-owned studio) and published by Acti, or Bethesda forks over enough cash to buy the game outright, the latter of which is a particularly bad road to take if Acti is demanding that Bethesda pay for whatever development/marketing costs sales failed to recoup during Acti's tenure.

That's a big "if" considering the auction was almost three months ago. Microsoft buying RoN would mean it owned everything pertaining to RoN and so there'd be no roadblocks. Both RoN Gold apps in the Steam regisry are as lifeless as ever. :(

It is also these things take time.

Laieon

Man, I remember playing this a lot, so many LAN wars with friends back in the day. IIRC I usually played as Zeus, Hades or Cronos. This thread kinda reminded me how I miss Ensemble and RTS games (are there good modern ones?).

As far as precedents for updated re-releases go, how is AoE II HD?

It was alright at launch, but it's really good now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: Bethesda and rights, it took them a REALLY long time to restore Doom and Doom 2 to XBLA after they assumed the rights for those games, but they did get both done eventually. I think 15 months for Doom 1. Wolf 3d only took a few months between delisting and relisting though.

JaseC

It is also these things take time.

Haha, there's that, too, but there'd be discernible movement if a single party owned Rise outright.

RE: Bethesda and rights, it took them a REALLY long time to restore Doom and Doom 2 to XBLA after they assumed the rights for those games, but they did get both done eventually. I think 15 months for Doom 1. Wolf 3d only took a few months between delisting and relisting though.

The clock continues to tick vis-a-vis Fallout, too.

Edit: "The clock is continues to tick"? Me fail English?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Haha, there's that, too, but there'd be discernible movement if a single party owned Rise outright.

The clock continues to tick vis-a-vis Fallout, too.

Edit: "The clock is continues to tick"? Me fail English?

Possibly but Rise of Nations could be also seeing some sort of new Super HD Extended Remix Gold Turbo edition which would warrant a new entry. Also, games can sit in the Steam Registry for ages before getting released or even an update. We saw this with Final Fantasy VII and VIII. All that is really known at this point is somebody wants to revive this IP and Big Huge Games in some fashion.

JaseC

Possibly but Rise of Nations could be also seeing some sort of new Super HD Extended Remix Gold Turbo edition which would warrant a new entry. Also, games can sit in the Steam Registry for ages before getting released or even an update. We saw this with Final Fantasy VII and VIII. All that is really known at this point is somebody wants to revive this IP and Big Huge Games in some fashion.

Well, in the absence of a smoking gun, I submit that it's possible MS did buy the Rise IP, but by the same token it stands to reason that Microsoft, assuming for the moment that it did purchase the IP, would maintain whichever of the two RoN Gold apps it submitted to Valve years ago. Time will tell. I suppose.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well, in the absence of a smoking gun, I submit that it's possible MS did buy the Rise IP, but by the same token it stands to reason that Microsoft, assuming for the moment that it did purchase the IP, would maintain whichever of the two RoN Gold apps it submitted to Valve years ago. Time will tell. I suppose.

Indeed, also, the important thing to note about the IP Sales is that somebody paid good money to own the Rise and BGH IPs, If nobody wanted this revived all of that would still be on the shelf next to KoA and 38 Studios.

JaseC

Indeed, also, the important thing to note about the IP Sales is that somebody paid good money to own the Rise and BGH IPs, If nobody wanted this revived all of that would still be on the shelf next to KoA and 38 Studios.

The cost of BHG's legacy IPs is something I'm rather curious about considering Amalur had a reserve price that every interested party failed to meet.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Times like these I really hate Steam Works. I guess I'll have to suck it up and give up on a GOG release. Lived for AOM back in the day. Great soundtrack!

JaseC

OMGFG, Age of Empires online :D:D:D:D

There was a slight change in the Steam registry back in December that lead me to believe AoE Online would return:

AoE Online may be coming back with Steamworks integration:

Now, this flag by itself doesn't necessarily mean anything (e.g. AoE 3 has long had it, too, but as the game lacks Steamworks achievements the stats link just takes you to Steam Community), but the fact it was added now, months after the game was pulled, is interesting.

MS Flight followed suit, with MS removing the "isfreeapp" flag and consequently breaking the game, which saw me assume that MS Flight is scheduled to return as a paid game inclusive of all DLC. Let's see how my crystal ball fairs. ;)

Never played the expansion but is Isis still OP? Every time I played against my brother he'd just turtle and resist all my god powers until he crushed me with War Elephants.

Fun fact, AoM was the first Internet forum I ever joined.

Top Bottom