• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those who live in >90°F / 32°C areas, what do you keep your AC set to?

Hex

Banned
Florida I keep it at 78-79 when I am not home, alternate down to 75 depending on comfort and 76 when sleeping.
When I get a couple of fans to keep air moving I should be able to adjust it higher

Zackat

70-72. Live right on the river in FL so we have to keep the A/C running or else we will get mold. When I lived on my own farther up north it was on 78.

Griss

It's about 95 degrees here now and will only get hotter. So yeah, AC is a must, and I just spent 5k on a new one last year. The energy savings should pay for itself over the next 5 years, it's that much of an improvement.

Anyway, my settings:
At night: 74 but with a ceiling fan on in my bedroom.
During the day: Off if I'm out of the house, 78 if I'm home
If I'm away for days / weeks: 82 - I was told by a workman not to let the temperature stay above this for the sake of my walls / furniture

Pretty similar climates, last summer the air condition broke. A week without AC in July, I hated life

Nothing brings me back to my childhood more powerfully than a couple of days without AC. It's worth it for that reason, and to remember what 'normal life' as a kid used to be. I'm fucking softer as an adult than I was as a child, jesus.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Fuck 32c every day would be hell. I start sweating like crazy when it's 20c...T-shirt weather for me is anything above zero.

.la1n

74 on the main level and 73 upstairs where I sleep. I'd push it colder but my wife would destroy me.

You guys get both extremes like we do here right? Get into the low 30's upper 20's at times during winter and then then 110s during summer. I hate both extremes.

That's both extremes? Here we drop to -10F in the winter and have at least one week where it's 110 in the summer.

Fuck 32c every day would be hell. I start sweating like crazy when it's 20c...T-shirt weather for me is anything above zero.

I would freeze to death wearing a t-shirt in 0°C, lol. I'll usually wear a light hoodie until it gets to about 75° (24°C). Then long sleeves until about 90°F

72 Degrees here in Florida. Like, if I actually lived in a State that gets a dry heat, I could see myself putting it a little higher, but Florida is too fucking humid for me to try that, or to go without. Crank it up to 85 when I'm out of my Apartment.

Corpekata

Banned
79 typically, 78 or 77 if I've been doing stuff and just came back. Will typically set to like 82 when I'm not there.

Live in AZ. Running it to much lower than 77 tends to get pretty expensive.

70 degrees 24/7 in houston from may to september. I know its environmentally unfriendly but its insanely hot here and I'm not fond of coming home to a 90 degree house and waiting for it to cool down. Also we have a dog

Ambient80

70-72 in day when I'm here, 75 or just off when I'm not. 66-68 when I'm asleep cause I like a super cool room when I sleep. Oh, and I'm just outside Cleveland, Ohio.

Redd

It stays at 76 degrees. Only turn it on when temperatures go past 89 degrees. I'll deal with the electric bill.

scoobs

72 seems like the standard around here among my friends and family. I like to dip it down to 70-71 at night sometimes, cold bed sheets are the greatest thing.

Wood Man

South Florida and we run it around 70' but if there's a nice breeze we open up the windows. I would like it a little cooler but my wife is anti-AC.She gets mad if I leave it on anything below 70' over night.

Growing up my dad had the AC on arctic blast everyday even in winter. I hated it.

At this smoldering 90°+ weather, the best we got is a fan here. I wish I could have the luxury of a real AC at home. I'm always sweaty and sticky and nights are awful.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I always find these threads meaningless. Not all thermostats are the same, not all houses are built the same, and not all thermostats are placed in the correct sections of the house.

I've been to houses that have it set to 69, and it's adequate and comfortable. I've been to houses where 74 is chilly. I have a new house (Central FL) and it's always set to 77-78 when we're home. 79-80 when we are not.

And I have a thermometer gauge that reads it correctly in numerous rooms, especially at the thermostat location. In other houses, the readings are all over the place (poor HVAC vent balance) and often times the thermostat is in a warmer part of the house, so the AC constantly runs and thus is required to be kept at lower levels. So my 77 could be another person's 73 - huge difference, and also a huge difference in electric bills.

Basically, these threads are meaningless, but fun. :p

Slayven

It's about 95 degrees here now and will only get hotter. So yeah, AC is a must, and I just spent 5k on a new one last year. The energy savings should pay for itself over the next 5 years, it's that much of an improvement.

Anyway, my settings:
At night: 74 but with a ceiling fan on in my bedroom.
During the day: Off if I'm out of the house, 78 if I'm home
If I'm away for days / weeks: 82 - I was told by a workman not to let the temperature stay above this for the sake of my walls / furniture

Nothing brings me back to my childhood more powerfully than a couple of days without AC. It's worth it for that reason, and to remember what 'normal life' as a kid used to be. I'm fucking softer as an adult than I was as a child, jesus.

As a kid i once spent a week in Jacksonville Fl, we had to sleep on a screen in porch in a house with no AC. Between the heat and the water bugs shaming into the screen like B-52s, it a wonder i didn't go insane.

Top Bottom