• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megyn Kelly's ratings hit all-time lows

They wanted some of that FOX ratings and didnt care how they got it.

People like to overstate FNC's viewership; she was only averaging ~2.7mil in 2016 in primetime on Fox. Those numbers are not good for a flagship network morning show, where ABC and NBC are routinely pulling in 4+ million each morning and quadrupling what she was getting on Fox in the target demo. It's not really that they were trying to reach her ratings on Fox, it's just that they massively overestimated her talent and appeal.

Sulik2

AndyLack08.jpg

This man looks freakishly similar to Michael Pachter.

Slayven

People like to overstate FNC's viewership; she was only averaging ~2.7mil in 2016 in primetime on Fox. Those numbers are not good for a flagship network morning show, where ABC and NBC are routinely pulling in 4+ million each morning and quadrupling what she was getting on Fox in the target demo. It's not really that they were trying to reach her ratings on Fox, it's just that they massively overestimated her talent and appeal.

Not to mention the average age of the Fox News viewer is 68

TalonJH

I saw her show a couple times just in passing and she came off as incredibly glib and disingenuous. Like coming off as nice and likable did not come naturally to her and she was constantly trying really hard.

I assumed my limited knowledge of her being on Fox News was tainting my perception, but now it appears a lot of America saw the same thing.

Your first sentence pretty much describes her to a T. On fox, the difference was she was an attractive blonde saying shitty things and sticking it to the liberals while angry and the choir ate it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osoQwiJT04Y

mnannola

I mean does anyone on Fox News have any kind of crossover potential? Maybe Shep Smith and Chris Wallace, as they are the only people with credibility over there. Everyone else would crash and burn as soon as they are put on a network that isn't watched by a primarily brainwashed audience.

Good. She doesn't get to walk away from the horrible things she spouted for years....
This is what got me with her move to MSNBC... it's as if they want people to just forgive and forget her terrible commentary over at FOX and just embrace her suddenly. I thought this was a dumb move for MSNBC from the start but hiring her dovetails nicely with they're and the Dems in general pushing more center to center right. Not working out too well.

Fine by me.

Because the hard journalism show they hired her for was a huge failure and they were like “shit, what do we do now?”

Next up, dump her into the cast of This Is Us. Then get ready for Late Night with Megyn Kelly. Or a very special episode of Law and Order SVU in which every role is played by Megyn Kelly.

Effect

Lack has been trying to push NBC and MSNBC to the center or center right. Well he's getting what he deserves. Hope he loses his job. Pushed out Tamron, Olberman etc.

If I'm remember correctly he was trying to push Lawrence O'Donnell out as well. He was reason he didn't get a new contract until the last minute, like the day or two before what would have been his last day I think. Him wanting to turn NBC/MSNBC toward the right has always been dumb, especially when their shows with the left leaning were on the ratings rise.

lenovox1

Because the hard journalism show they hired her for was a huge failure and they were like “shit, what do we do now?”

No, that's not true.

http://www.newsweek.com/truth-behind-megyn-kelly-nbc-deal-541132

For Megyn Kelly, at a price one person familiar with the negotiations put at $17 million-$18 million (practically speaking it would be hard for NBC to let anyone exceed Today show star Matt Lauer’s recent raise to $20 million), there was a prospective daytime show, with few models of success; a Sunday evening show, typically a loss leader; and a possible move for the hard-news Kelly into the soft hour of Today’ s 9 a.m. hour.

NBC came to Kelly with an open development deal and the opportunity for her to craft exactly what she wanted. This is what she wanted. This wasn't NBC News's idea, this was hers.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/02/megyn-kelly-matt-lauer-and-the-battle-for-the-future-of-nbc

NBC is paying Kelly more than $15 million, far less than the $25 million a year she was offered to stay at Fox. NBC went to her with a blank slate, according to a person close to Kelly. “Everyone else came to her with an idea of what they wanted.”

Of course...

It's nice to want things.

(The articles were published January and February of this year, respectively.)

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
When you think the Fox viewers make money, and you go after them.
You lost NBC.

Edit: they pay these people 15 million? Are you serious. GTFO

Fox318

They had no problem getting rid of Greta right quick, and shes 100000x better then Kelly.

But Greta was running a show similar to her old one though that didn't make much sense because MSNBC just doesn't pull the same viewers as Fox.

gogosox82

Good. She is not likeable and has no personality. Compare Kelly's ice queen personality to Tamron Hall. Its like why would anyone think this would work?

Slayven

Larry Willmore called it a long time ago. With Obama gone news networks felt they need to "Deblacken", and hedge their bets. IF Clintion gets in it would be good to have a few rightwingers to sling shots, and if Trump wins his base will come to anyone presenting a right wing angle.

Oh sadly they were mistaken. You can see the same thing with "liberal" bloggers, they thought they would have a easy 4 years spiting out the same "Clintion isn't progressive enough" clickbait. But now they are stuck doing "Bitch eating crackers again" articles.

I thought her Putin interview ruined her. She got absolutely nothing out of that IMO. That was her big chance to prove to her new audience that shes worth something and she blew it.

She is an idiot and entirely out of her element when she isn't on Fox. She peddled all sorts of racism there and appealed to the demographics on that network. Whoever thought she would transition successfully was crazy but then again Trump is president so idk.

If I'm remember correctly he was trying to push Lawrence O'Donnell out as well. He was reason he didn't get a new contract until the last minute, like the day or two before what would have been his last day I think. Him wanting to turn NBC/MSNBC toward the right has always been dumb, especially when their shows with the left leaning were on the ratings rise.

So a rich TV executive wants to push right wing commentary to ensure he gets some sweet tax breaks down the road? Shocking.

Bgamer90

Banned
You’re now on a major network and you’re possibly getting worse ratings than what you were getting when you were on cable TV?

giphy.gif

Top Bottom