• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outcast - A new demonic possession drama from the creator of TWD - Fridays on Cinemax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burt

Damn, that was hard to watch. I mean, it wasn't The Red Wedding or anything, but damn, that was cruel.

finowns

Damn, that was hard to watch. I mean, it wasn't The Red Wedding or anything, but damn, that was cruel.

Man if they were going to do 'it', it should been more blatant and disturbing - like an ice pick to the eye or something.

Sucks the finale is already up.

Also, I don't like that red headed bastard.

Burt

Man if they were going to do 'it', it should been more blatant and disturbing - like an ice pick to the eye or something.

Sucks the finale is already up.

I dunno, the drawn out nature really hit me. Also the fact that it was less deliberate and more just plain 'unlucky' than anything is interesting. Like,
we've seen tiny children make it through a comparable situation and Kyle and Anderson deal with people much bigger than Megan, despite not being nearly as big as Mark, but the fact that he got an unlucky draw there is an interesting spin on it.

There was a nice shot for maybe a second where
he's on the ground and you can sort of see something in his neck, but the mirror isn't catching any light or anything so it left you there as it cut back to Megan and slowly panned back down. Thought that was well done. Had me hanging on to a thread of hope.

Also, I don't like that red headed bastard.

But what's not to like?!?!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
zEgQotz.gif

Wasn't expecting her to get possessed so early on, but I'm glad its happening so soon.

dustyherb

Well fuck, I knew she would get possessed eventually but I didn't think it was going down like that. So messed up seeing him bleed to death, while his wife is watching like nothing's wrong.

Geist-

Fuck. I thought Kyle's life was fucked. How the fuck is Megan going to recover.

Comics:
It was bad enough when Megan accidentally paralyzed her husband,
but now she killed him and is terrorizing her daughter/niece. I mean, honestly, holy fuck. Couple that with the fact she's a rape victim dealing with her rapist trying to fuck with her family and an unexpected pregnancy... If she's not dead by the end of next episode I have no idea how she is going to recover.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Megan getting possessed made me roll my eyes (as I predicted earlier in the thread), but at the same time I also thought they executed it pretty well. Seeing Mark bleed out like that was heartbreaking. Just as he and Kyle were becoming bros too. :(

Fuck. I thought Kyle's life was fucked. How the fuck is Megan going to recover.

but now she killed him and is terrorizing her daughter/niece. I mean, honestly, holy fuck. Couple that with the fact she's a rape victim dealing with her rapist trying to fuck with her family and an unexpected pregnancy... If she's not dead by the end of next episode I have no idea how she is going to recover.

mte

what a dark turn for an already dark show.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Holy fuck at that ending. And I was going to rate this as the slowest episode of the season... the season finale should be incredible!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Robert Kirkman’s ‘Outcast’ Adds M.C. Gainey, Madelyn Deutch & Hoon Lee

M.C. Gainey (Lost), Madelyn Deutch (Texas Rising) and Hoon Lee (Banshee) have joined the Season 2 cast of Cinemax exorcism drama Outcast.

Gainey will play Bob, a hermit who operates the junkyard on the edge of Rome. His brooding and eccentric demeanor conceals ties to Rome’s dark past.

Deutch is Dakota, a free spirit who embraces an unconventional form of Christianity. Her perspective clashes with Reverend Anderson’s — and she ultimately reveals a knowledge of what it is that has befallen Rome.

Lee will portray Dr. Kenneth Park, Chief of staff and an accomplished surgeon at Rome’s hospital, Dr. Park has his own cryptic agenda concerning Kyle.

Hoon Lee :^)

~Kinggi~

Banned
Glad to hear there is even a Season 2. This show is really depressing and i doubt the ratings are great, but its been really good TV. Acting all around has been real solid. Last episode was messed up. I dont know anything about the comics so its even more surprising.

Burt

eh

First of all, fuck that kid, but having Anderson torch him like that was a bit contrived.

Beyond that, it all felt a little inconsequential. We really didn't learn much, we didn't get a showdown of any substance with Sidney (like, sheriff's neighbor and possessed wife were more present at the climax), Megan was in - kill her husband - out, and the daughter reveal, while interesting, isn't an incredible thing in and of itself. The gas station at the end felt like a forced way to throw in a cliffhanger. It put some great pieces in play (the daughter, how Megan moves forward, Rev post-teen bake, etc.), but didn't really pay off much as a season finale.

Still really like the show though, glad to hear there's apparently a second season already signed off on when it doesn't get great ratings. Then again, what does on Cinemax?

<3 The Knick

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Beyond that, it all felt a little inconsequential. We really didn't learn much, we didn't get a showdown of any substance with Sidney (like, sheriff's neighbor and possessed wife were more present at the climax), Megan was in - kill her husband - out, and the daughter reveal, while interesting, isn't an incredible thing in and of itself. The gas station at the end felt like a forced way to throw in a cliffhanger. It put some great pieces in play (the daughter, how Megan moves forward, Rev post-teen bake, etc.), but didn't really pay off much as a season finale.

I agree. Inconsequential is a right word for it. Don't get me wrong, I thought the episode was fine, but it was underwhelming as a finale.

Some good imagery though, like the shot of the burning trailer or when Megan touched her dead husband's eyeball and left a finger print on it.

Pachimari

Wow I have been out of the loop! I'm still only at Episode 2 and see the season has already ended with 10 episodes? For some reason I though it would be 22 eps. And there'll be a Season 2 as well?

Is it still worth watching (does the quality stay top?) or should I just forget about it? I'll finish Stranger Things tonight, and continue my watch of Outcast tomorrow.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Wow I have been out of the loop! I'm still only at Episode 2 and see the season has already ended with 10 episodes? For some reason I though it would be 22 eps. And there'll be a Season 2 as well?

Is it still worth watching (does the quality stay top?) or should I just forget about it? I'll finish Stranger Things tonight, and continue my watch of Outcast tomorrow.

Yes, there will be a second season. http://deadline.com/2016/08/robert-...mc-gainey-madelyn-deutch-hoon-lee-1201801960/

The finale was kind of underwhelming, but if you enjoyed what you've watched so far then I would continue watching.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Megan's scenes were a little disappointing, but other than that I liked the finale. There were some new revelations and it kept enough for a second season (that was a weird ending). Oh, and the kid got torched so that's great news.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I actually really enjoyed the finale. Really tense. Although i know nothing about the comics, so its all new for me. Very good season i'd say. Definitely should get more eyeballs on it.

Dalek

Does anyone know when this comes on iTunes? As a cord cutter there isn't an option to subscribe directly to Cinemax.

Geist-

Really Kyle? You're gonna try to have a fucking conversation with her? You had one job.
I think he was still scared that "exorcising" her would leave her braindead.

I think I agree with everyone else that the finale was underwhelming. As a stand-alone episode, it's great, but there was a real lack of answers that I thought we would get. Faux-Megan had some interesting scenes, really enjoyed seeing a newly possessed perspective. Eyeball scene was visually well-done.

I thought we would have got more interesting dialogue out of Sidney, but he was kind of just...there during his scenes. Also, the kids are going to have serious psychological issues.

Am I a bad person that I actually smiled when the kid was torched?

finowns

I think I agree with everyone else that the finale was underwhelming.

Am I a bad person that I actually smiled when the kid was torched?

Yep.

Nope. F Him.

Liked this season, but I want to see some momentum and payoff in season 2.

RS4-

Just finished 9 and 10, didn't realize it was the season finale, didn't feel like one.

Enjoyed the season, a little inconsistent but still, kept me interested enough. Glad to hear Job is in season 2.

fauxtrot

Banned
I'm assuming (finale spoilers)
the possessed people at the gas station were there to keep Kyle and his daughter from leaving Rome?
That's what I got out of it at least.

Weird watching the show and reading to the book at the same time. I can't favour one over the other since their both being written at the same time.

Didn't expect some of the characters stories to diverge so much from each other.

I'm assuming (finale spoilers)
the possessed people at the gas station were there to keep Kyle and his daughter from leaving Rome?
That's what I got out of it at least.

But how would they all know they were gonna stop there? I just assumed it meant that they were everywhere.

Decado

Gave this show a chance and don't think i'm coming back for season 2. It just didn't hook me.
Yeah, relegated to what we watch if we don't feel like paying close attention.

Hopefully Quary is excellent because Cinemax ended 3 great shows and has yet to replace any, IMO.

fauxtrot

Banned
But how would they all know they were gonna stop there? I just assumed it meant that they were everywhere.

Ah, so the gas station was outside of Rome? That makes sense... they had to do something to
keep Kyle in the town since casting calls for next season's new characters make it apparent that the next season is in Rome.
(maybe minor Season 2 spoilers if you're super sensitive to that stuff)

What the fuck? How strange...

Weird as fuck. It's 10 episodes from what I've read, maybe it'll hit the streaming sites in the US?

What's the protocol for this? I know the rules are we can talk about the show as soon as it airs, but I doubt there'll be many UK viewers posting in this thread. Spoilers until we know what's happening wit the US airdate?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Weird as fuck. It's 10 episodes from what I've read, maybe it'll hit the streaming sites in the US?

What's the protocol for this? I know the rules are we can talk about the show as soon as it airs, but I doubt there'll be many UK viewers posting in this thread. Spoilers until we know what's happening wit the US airdate?

Sounds good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom