• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2013

BriBri

This past weeks Japanese eShop charts

1. (1) Animal Crossing: New Leaf
2. (2) Super Mario Bros. 3
3. (3) Pokémon AR Searcher
4. (4) 3D Classics Kirby’s Dreamland
5. (5) Denpa Ningen no RPG 2
6. (7) Fantasy Life
7. (10) Puyo Puyo! Mini Version
8. (9) Charisou DX
9. (8) Dragon Quest X: Odekake Moshasu de Battle
10. (11) Rhythm Hunter: HarmoKnight
11. (13) Super Mario Bros.
12. (—) Kyuukousha no Shoujo
13. (12) Dasshutsu Adventure: Majo no Sumu Yakata
14. (14) Pokédex 3D Pro
15. (15) Okiraku Daifugō 3D
16. (6) 3D Space Harrier
17. (—) Family Kart 3D
18. (17) 10 Hyō Sō
19. (18) Rockman 6
20. (—) Super Mario Bros 2. (Lost Levels)

Animal Crossing = unstoppable. Fantasy Life = impressive. Paper Mario = bye-bye.

Javier

These are the Top 10 in the US eShop according to nintendo.com: (This listing is shown as "Recent")

1.- Pokédex 3D Pro
2.- Pokémon Dream Radar
3.- Paper Mario: Sticker Star
4.- Super Mario Bros.
5.- LIBERATION MAIDEN
6.- Crashmo
7.- Zelda II - The Adventure of Link
8.- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
9.- 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure
10.- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

Here's the US top 20 cumulative going by the eShop rankings themselves:

Nintendo 3DS Download
01 Pokémon Dream Radar (Nintendo)
02 Pushmo (Nintendo)
03 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure (Nintendo)
04 3D Classics: Kid Icarus (Nintendo)
05 Colors! 3D (Collecting Smiles)
06 New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo)
07 3D Classics: Xevious (Nintendo)
08 Pokédex 3D Pro (Nintendo)
09 Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword (Nintendo)
10 Mighty Switch Force (WayForward)
11 Bird Mania 3D (Teyon)
12 Dillon's Rolling Western (Nintendo)
13 3D Classics: Excitebike (Nintendo)
14 VVVVVV (Nicalis)
15 Let's Golf! 3D (Gameloft)
16 Mutant Mudds (Renegade Kid)
17 3D Classics: Urban Champion (Nintendo)
18 Zen Pinball 3D (Zen Studios)
19 Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH! (Shin'en Multimedia)
20 Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Nintendo)

Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
01 The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Nintendo) GBC
02 Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Nintendo) GB
03 Super Mario Land (Nintendo) GB
04 Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) NES
05 Kirby's Dream Land (Nintendo) GB
06 Metroid II - Return of Samus (Nintendo) GB
07 Donkey Kong (Nintendo) GB
08 Sonic tye Hedgehog: Triple Trouble (SEGA) GG
09 The Legend of Zelda (Nintendo) NES
10 Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream (Nintendo) NES
11 Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Nintendo) GB
12 Mario's Picross (Nintendo) GB
13 TETRIS (Nintendo) GB
14 Game & Watch Gallery (Nintendo) GB
15 Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge (Capcom) GB
16 Metroid (Nintendo) NES
17 PAC-MAN (Namco Bandai Games) GB
18 Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Nintendo) NES
19 Game & Watch Gallery 2 (Nintendo) GBC
20 Kirby's Block Ball (Nintendo) GB

Wii U Download
01 Trine 2: Director's Cut (Frozenbyte)
02 Nano Assault Neo (Shin'en Multimedia)
03 Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation)
04 New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo)
05 Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WayForward)
06 Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (SEGA)
07 ZombiU (Ubisoft)
08 Scribblenauts Unlimited (Ubisoft)
09 Chasing Aurora (Broken Rules)
10 Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft)
11 Darksiders II (THQ)
12 Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Nintendo)
13 Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition (Namco Bandai Games)
14 Nintendo Land (Nintendo)
15 Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition (WB Games)
16 Madden NFL 13 (Electronic Arts)
17 Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (Disney Interactive)
18 Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft)
19 Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper Edition (Tecmo Koei Games)
20 Wheel of Fortune (THQ)

Roto13

yeah I get that but it's just so damn hard. I would loved to hold wiimote+nunchuck while placing the gamepad in front of me on the stand for inventory etc.

Its a good survival horror game nonetheless.

It does a lot more with the gamepad than inventory management. The gamepad is absolutely essential to the game. Unless you want to be dropping your controller to pick up another one every few minutes, it makes no sense to make the single player playable with the wiimote and nunchuck.

Lizardus

It does a lot more with the gamepad than inventory management. The gamepad is absolutely essential to the game. Unless you want to be dropping your controller to pick up another one every few minutes, it makes no sense to make the single player playable with the wiimote and nunchuck.

yeah I wouldn't mind that, it would be more immersive (ie, putting away the gun to open backpack, picking locks etc)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I just bought a TON of WiiWare/Neo Geo games. I used 6 2000 Points cards, and I get no coins in return?

Call Nintendo and complain.

For reasons that seem bizarre, the Wii shop on the Wii U doesn't appear to allow linking to a Club Nintendo account.

Call them and complain.

I'm purchasing any new software on the Wii and then transferring to the Wii U...

Anyone know if this is true for Japanese systems?

Katsuragi

This week's European downloads:
- Tokyo Crash Mobs (3DS DLS, €5.99/£5.39)
- Mahjong Mysteries (3DS DLS, €4.99/£4.49)
- Zombie Skape (DSiW, 200p).
- NBA 2K13 (Wii U retail, €59.99/£49.99)
- Vampire Crystals Demo (WiiWare)

BriBri

This week's European downloads:

Source: @NintenDaan on Twitter
I'm interested in Tokyo Crash Mobs reviews. Glad it's not at that £8 price point, but god that Virtual Console being left to die, absolutely hundreds of Game Boy games to choose from and we just get an occasional NES game.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm interested in Tokyo Crash Mobs reviews. Glad it's not at that £8 price point, but god that Virtual Console being left to die, absolutely hundreds of Game Boy games to choose from and we just get an occasional NES game.

Eh, not really. If you eliminate all the games from dead or defunct devs/publishers, all the JP-only games, all the games owned by disinterested devs/publishers and all the other miscellaneous games that aren't likely to show up then the list of plausible future GB/C VC games isn't really very large (and the list of good ones is tiny--seriously, GB/C wasn't all that hot.)

BriBri

Eh, not really. If you eliminate all the games from dead or defunct devs/publishers, all the JP-only games, all the games owned by disinterested devs/publishers and all the other miscellaneous games that aren't likely to show up then the list of plausible future GB/C VC games isn't really very large (and the list of good ones is tiny--seriously, GB/C wasn't all that hot.)
I disagree (from the quality standpoint). I have a HUGE collection of Game Boy games that are great. And all the blurriness issues were gone with the SP, so should look fine on the XL. Plus the good Game Boy games play better on the 3DS than NES games (intended for a smaller screen). I guess Nintendo could fight to publish some smaller games, but I doubt they feel its worth it due to low sales reward.

Edit:- Wario Blast, King of the Zoo, Solar Striker, R-Type I & II (LOLZ Irem), Nemesis I & II, Parodius, Pokémon series (+ trading card game), Castlevania II, Battle Unit Zeoth, Revenger of the 'Gator (out in Japan), Pop 'n' TwinBee (out in Japan), Probotector, WWF Superstars, Turtles games, Battletoads, Spider-Man, F1 Race, Super RC Pro Am, Final Fantasy Legend series, Final Fantasy Adventure, Dragon Quest I-III, Dragon Quest Monsters, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, latter Mega Man games, Donkey Kong Land series, Kid Dracula, Amazing Penguin, Legend of the River King (announced), Harvest Moon (announced), Rescue of the Princess Blobette, Mario Golf (out in Japan), Mario Tennis, Perfect Dark, Resident Evil GBC, Metal Gear Solid, Conker's Pocket Tales, the other Game & Watch Gallery games, Duck Tales, Survival Kids, Crystalis, Shantae (announced) etc etc. I'm only referring to the quality standpoint.

Dragon Quest I-III, Dragon Quest Monsters, Perfect Dark, Resident Evil GBC, Conker's Pocket Tales,

SE would probably want to retranslate the DQ games so they're inline with current terminology(which would be an expense), I would imagine PD & CPT would have issues with MS/Rare, and I thought RE was never finished?

M3d10n

SE would probably want to retranslate the DQ games so they're inline with current terminology(which would be an expense), I would imagine PD & CPT would have issues with MS/Rare, and I thought RE was never finished?
RE was never finished. It's also a complete turd. There were also a bunch of licensed games in that list that will never get released for obvious reasons.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I just listed many without even searching online or at lists.

Missed your edit, oops.

Anyway, putting aside the quality argument, you can still cross a whole bunch of those off the list:

Licensing issues: WWF, Spiderman, TMNT, Wario Blast
Owned by publishers/devs who aren't interested in VC: Super RC Pro-Am, Battletoads, Conker's Pocket Tales, Perfect Dark
Devs/publishers are dead/MIA: R-Type, King of the Zoo

On top of that there are game-specific complications, like Square-Enix's tendency to leave legacy DQ games in the vault, or Kojima's weirdness about MGS re-releases, and on top of that there's the fact that "inferior" versions of Castlevania, Contra, Mega Man, etc aren't really that appealing now that NES games are an option, so I think we may have missed the boat there. Even Pokemon doesn't seem likely, unless they magically discover a way to enable link cable emulation--a legitimately tough thing to achieve.

BriBri

I'm uninformed here... I guess Wario Blast is due to Hudson Soft being eaten?

And King of the Zoo has issues? Fuck, looks like I'll be blowing the dust off my cartridge. I LOVED that game!

@MUWANdo

Banned
More or less, yeah. AFAIK it's a Hudson game with a Nintendo license, not the other way round, and they're not likely to bother negotiating through all the bullshit just to re-release the game on the VC; there's just not enough money in it.

BriBri

Damn. Bomberman GB 3 is available in Japan at least (obviously no Wario) so might download that later today.

And I just realised how much I love my Game Boy! Will be opening my little treasure chest (where I store my GB games) when I get back to London and play some GBA SP!

hongcha

SE would probably want to retranslate the DQ games so they're inline with current terminology(which would be an expense),

If the gameboy DQ games show up on the 3DS VC, it's almost certain that they'll be Japan-only (just like that Japanese Wii Compilation disk). So no need to worry about retranslating anything.

MarkusRJR

Wii U system transfers. Don't do them, guys! Not unless you have to. :(

Call Nintendo and complain.

For reasons that seem bizarre, the Wii shop on the Wii U doesn't appear to allow linking to a Club Nintendo account.

Call them and complain.

I'm purchasing any new software on the Wii and then transferring to the Wii U...

Anyone know if this is true for Japanese systems?

I'm going to email them and complain. Also, Wii stuff on Wii U fucking sucks. I have to fiddle with my overscan settings to make it fill the screen first of all and in some cases like Metroid Prime Trilogy or Donkey Kong Country Returns there are still bars on the sides after the fact. Having 4:3 for VC games over Wii U's HDMI creates huge lag on my TV, making the games terrible to play. Plus, the color on the games are off when they're being output over HDMI. It's really a shitty situation all around.

I wish I never transferred my stuff over. But I already have like $600+ of downloadable games on my Wii U now so it'd be stupid to split up my games library over a Wii and a Wii U for new purchases. :/

Jucksalbe

Banned
and in some cases like Metroid Prime Trilogy or Donkey Kong Country Returns there are still bars on the sides after the fact.

Don't know about Donkey Kong but Metroid Prime Trilogy always had bars on the side in 16:9 even on the Wii.

I like how Wii (and VC) games look on the Wii U, but since they took away the settings menu it seems to largely depend on your TV. They really should have given you more options.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
And when are we to expect Scribblenauts in EU?

On top of that there are game-specific complications, like Square-Enix's tendency to leave legacy DQ games in the vault, or Kojima's weirdness about MGS re-releases, and on top of that there's the fact that "inferior" versions of Castlevania, Contra, Mega Man, etc aren't really that appealing now that NES games are an option, so I think we may have missed the boat there. Even Pokemon doesn't seem likely, unless they magically discover a way to enable link cable emulation--a legitimately tough thing to achieve.

Ehh... I really don't think it'll be too big of a problem by virtue of the fact that most of those GB games are their own unique thing, instead of just straight downports. And having inferior versions of games sharing space on the service doesn't really seem to be bothering publishers so far. Only time will tell, I guess.

beje

Banned
What's happened to zen pinball on Wii u? I thought it was supposed to be in December?

It's been reworked with Nintendo as a freemium "demo" where you download it for free, test the tables and buy as DLC the ones you like. They said it wouldn't take much longer.

Top Bottom