• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

ryan299

Whedon is directing a Batgirl movie.Via Variety

Batgirl is flying solo. The superheroine is getting her own standalone movie from filmmaker Joss Whedon.

Whedon is nearing a deal to write, direct, and produce an untitled Batgirl pic for Warner Bros. as part of its DC Extended Universe.

Ross61

You wish. Grimdark flows through the veins of the DCEU. This sudden lightness is just a charade. In time you'll see your hopes and dreams shattered, and your heroes' with it.
Let me take your pain and hurt away. Give it too me

giphy.gif

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
It's going to be really interesting to see what time frame this movie takes place in. Technically she should be Oracle at this point, but I doubt they're going to have an entire movie of her behind a desk at a computer screen. Wonder if it'll bookend with her as Oracle and then flash back to her as Batgirl in a story that ties the both past and present together?

That also means we have to be seeing her in either The Batman or Gotham City Sirens, maybe even Nightwing (depending on what comes out first).

Ahasverus

It's going to be really interesting to see what time frame this movie takes place in. Technically she should be Oracle at this point, but I doubt they're going to have an entire movie of her behind a desk at a computer screen. Wonder if it'll bookend with her as Oracle and then flash back to her as Batgirl in a story that ties the both past and present together?

That also means we have to be seeing her in either The Batman or Gotham City Sirens, maybe even Nightwing (depending on what comes out first).
I'd guess that's how it goes. Sirens introduces us to Oracle, and they make Batgirl as a flashback. Probably adapting TKJ too? I dunno.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I'd guess that's how it goes. Sirens introduces us to Oracle, and they make Batgirl as a flashback. Probably adapting TKJ too? I dunno.
I hope they stay far away from Killing Joke in these movies. They can allude to what happened to her (I could see them doing quick flashes of PTSD of the gun firing with Joker's hand on it), but they should just skip that arc.

IconGrist

I hope they stay far away from Killing Joke in these movies. They can allude to what happened to her (I could see them doing quick flashes of PTSD of the gun firing with Joker's hand on it), but they should just skip that arc.

Not in Zack fucking Snyder's goddamn universe. Batgirl Rated R confirmed.

Ashhong

I think it's too popular of an arc for them to just ignore, although Whedon doesn't seem the type to want to adapt something so dark. PTSD flashbacks sound good though.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, just thought of something.. JK Simmons would probably be in this movie too. Simmons spouting Wheadon dialog, gonna be great.

DaveH

A part of me believes that Whedon participates in these talks less to actually make a movie and more to get the inside scoop on what's actually going on, just purely as a fan.

Polarburr

With Batgirl, Nightwing and Gotham City Sirens confirmed, I'm getting this feeling that Batman is gonna be treated as the Nick Fury after The Batman since I really don't see Affleck doing a trilogy.

a916

Honestly, adding a talent like Whedon is a huge win, I think Avengers is overrated but good. I think Age of Ultron get's way too much GAF hit on the other hand.

That said, why the HELL are they green lighting so many damn Batman projects... they can't even bother to give us a Green Lantern? They can't convince someone to do a Flash movie? A SUPERMAN MOVIE?! Jesus...

IconGrist

Honestly, adding a talent like Whedon is a huge win, I think Avengers is overrated but good. I think Age of Ultron get's way too much GAF hit on the other hand.

That said, why the HELL are they green lighting so many damn Batman projects... they can't even bother to give us a Green Lantern? They can't convince someone to do a Flash movie? A SUPERMAN MOVIE?! Jesus...

This is kind of disingenuous. GL, Flash and MoS2 have been confirmed. But those are big big names and WB isn't just going to throw anybody on those properties.

It's fuckin' Batgirl. It's not going to cost WB much.

Ross61

GLC and Flash are still being written so they have an excuse. Justin Kroll already said WB would be fast tracking them if there scripts were finished.

Ahasverus

I don't like Whedon and I don't like his style, but it wouldn't hurt to have a family/kid friendly, and still good, movie in the DCEU.

Just don't put him to direct batman or New Gods or something that requieres little more bit of grandiosity.

a916

This is kind of disingenuous. GL, Flash and MoS2 have been confirmed. But those are big big names and WB isn't just going to throw anybody on those properties.

It's fuckin' Batgirl. It's not going to cost WB much.

I get that, but if the next 5 projects coming out are Batman then Sirens... then SS2, then Batgirl... I'm going to get Gotham fatigue... space them out or something.

Wonder Woman coming out this year, Gotham Sirens and Batgirl up soon.

Not particularly happy about Whedon. Though he's prolly a good fit for this, he needs to be reined in. And please don't put out meh looking movies either. But still good on him for likely being the one to pitch this to DC.

Love how WB seems to be moving forward in a big way with female comic book characters.

tim1138

They've spent the past six years reestablishing Babs as Batgirl in the comics, I'd be surprised if they don't go the same route in the movies and have Oracle be something she did while recovering and rehabbing.

DaveH

That said, why the HELL are they green lighting so many damn Batman projects...
They have plans to activate any IP they can, the main advantage of more projects is not everything has to be a tent-pole, event, fate-of-the-universe film... letting off some of the pressure and giving you fall-backs if things fall through.

Basically, I'm guessing the WB is looking at their light 2018 and wishing they had been more aggressive in pursuing small bets to snatch up some of that Deadpool money.

More movies means smaller films can fill in those kinds of gaps and normalize expectations so that the massive event films don't get taken for granted when compared to the lower budget bets.

So far each DC film has been carrying the weight of the entire franchise on their shoulders with some in the audience getting upset that not every movie is a life-changing, history-making event. I think the "success" of Suicide Squad is making them think they don't necessarily need to be so precious about every film. That's good in that we're going to get more films, that's bad in that they probably won't do risky high-concept stuff like BvS as much (if at all).

That might make them more experimental in the smaller films though.

Top Bottom