• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Corpsepyre

Banned
17579862_10158407740925258_1059114712_n.png

YIKES!!!!! I can already see the headlines piling up.

Corpsepyre

Banned
If anything makes me more hopeful for Justice League, it's that it seems like a very "back to basics" superhero story, which is where a think Synder will shine. Synder, as a director, is the definition of "one's reach exceeding their grasp." Despite some people treating him like he's just a mindless idiot, everything about his interviews and his work suggest he is actually a very intelligent - if ineloquent - guy. He wants his movies to say something, to comment on all the things he thinks about daily.

Problem is, his skills as a storyteller just aren't up to snuff for his films to properly convey what he wants them to. He works best when he has a simple idea to see through, and when he can indulge in showing spectacle. The past two Justice League trailers suggest that is exactly what he intends to do with this movie.

Compare the Comic Con teaser and the newest trailer to Man of Steel's quietly comtemplative teaser or BVS's angry, suspenseful first trailer. Even then, you could tell Zack wanted to get across some big ideas with those movies. How effective he was is up for debate, but the intent was there. With JL, the biggest idea is "the Justice League is awesome." Assuming the plot is as straightforward as it seems, this might be Synder's best chance to play perfectly to his strengths and really deliver.

Good analysis. It's how I look at it as well. I don't want the film to be bogged down by existentialism and all that jazz. I have Watchmen, BvS for that. I want a straight-up balls to the wall, pedal to the metal superhero team-up flick where there's a threat, superheroes get together to fight it, and they also happen to get along. Doesn't mean we can't incorporate Morrison-esque massive extra-dimensional ideas, but I guess we'll leave that for now. Sequel maybe. :p

I have some naive hope with lines like "age of heroes" that it'll aspire to have grand ideas at its core. But just because I'm partial to Morrison's take doesn't mean I can't enjoy a JL International-vibe movie.

While I'm sorta lukewarm on it for now, the trailer made me less concerned about the humor and all. Batman's lines totally sound like sardonic Batman lines.

Firemind

this song is earworm i've been humming it all day but when i got home to listen to it properly

he roller coaster, he got early warning
he got muddy water, he one mojo filter
he say one and one and one is three
got to be good looking cause he's so hard to see
come together, right now, over me
shoot
shoot
shoot
shoot

did john lennon wrote a song about bukkake?

BadAss2961

17579862_10158407740925258_1059114712_n.png

YIKES!!!!! I can already see the headlines piling up.
Tell'em Larry.
If anything makes me more hopeful for Justice League, it's that it seems like a very "back to basics" superhero story, which is where a think Synder will shine. Synder, as a director, is the definition of "one's reach exceeding their grasp." Despite some people treating him like he's just a mindless idiot, everything about his interviews and his work suggest he is actually a very intelligent - if ineloquent - guy. He wants his movies to say something, to comment on all the things he thinks about daily.

Problem is, his skills as a storyteller just aren't up to snuff for his films to properly convey what he wants them to. He works best when he has a simple idea to see through, and when he can indulge in showing spectacle. The past two Justice League trailers suggest that is exactly what he intends to do with this movie.

Compare the Comic Con teaser and the newest trailer to Man of Steel's quietly comtemplative teaser or BVS's angry, suspenseful first trailer. Even then, you could tell Zack wanted to get across some big ideas with those movies. How effective he was is up for debate, but the intent was there. With JL, the biggest idea is "the Justice League is awesome." Assuming the plot is as straightforward as it seems, this might be Synder's best chance to play perfectly to his strengths and really deliver.

Agreed

Ross61

I can definitely see this getting the same type of reception another WB blockbuster, King:Skull Island, got. That is unless the standards are different.

LionPride

Banned
I like the idea of Aquaman being a brolic ass beer drinking, uncouth son of a bitch

As I watch the trailer, I realize how nice the movie looks rn. Won't get caught up, but it looks nice.

Fuck that cover of Come Together tho, no Micahel Jackson cover, no care.

Ninjimbo

I'm fine with JL being a "lighter" film, but I still want Snyder to give me something a little deeper than what the genre is currently offering. BvS is the best movie he's ever made partially because he showed some restraint and took his time weaving a story and exploring concepts that seemed to only exist in the meta. It really surprised me and I want to see some of that in JL. I want Zack to show me something I've never seen before. If he could somehow tell a serious story amidst all the crazy goofy stuff happening onscreen, that would be special.

I like the idea of Aquaman being a brolic ass beer drinking, uncouth son of a bitch

Yeah. I wasn't expecting that and I know it's pretty different than how he's usually depicted, but it was working for me. Mostly because of Momoa I think.

Actually in some ways it kind of feels (and looks) like an AquaLobo lol. I'm ok with that.

IconGrist

So I just got back from Power Rangers. When I took my daughter to see it this morning this was not a sentence I expected to hear from her but no lies detected.

"Dad, you can see her boobies."

Everytime I rewatch that Aquaman / Batman exchange at the end of the trailer is like a sneak peek of a future banter between Bruce and Hal Jordan, love it.

Penguin

Think the most fascinating aspect of the Justice League trailer, to me, is the fact that Bruce not Batman ends up recruiting the League members. Since secret identities are always such a big deal to him!

guek

Banned
Think the most fascinating aspect of the Justice League trailer, to me, is the fact that Bruce not Batman ends up recruiting the League members. Since secret identities are always such a big deal to him!

Snyder clearly doesn't care about them though so it's not too surprising.

Ashhong

It is? But there's that scene where he just calls out everyone and their secret identity. Might be cool if only Bruce knows everyone's identity and they can have that scene one day

Snyder clearly doesn't care about them though so it's not too surprising.
Comics and shows are inherently flawed in that regard. You don't trust a man that doesn't reveal his true identity and hides behind a mask, especially when you are supposed to work with them. Also, Bruce is eager to get them on the team fast, no time for games.

Ashhong

I wonder if there will be a storyline where because Cyborg is created by a motherbox, his body needs to somehow be destroyed or whatever because it's dangerous. Might be a good way to change his design. Have Bruce or Silas come up with an actual cyborg/robotic body after

Comics and shows are inherentl flawed in that regard. You don't trust a man that doesn't reveal his true identity and hides behind a mask, especially when you are supposed to work with them. Also, Bruce is eager to get them on the team fast, no time for games.

Even in the JL cartoon Bruce reveals everyone's identity to everyone.

You're right. It's a silly concept that's been beat to death.

guek

Banned
Comics and shows are inherentl flawed in that regard. You don't trust a man that doesn't reveal his true identity and hides behind a mask, especially when you are supposed to work with them. Also, Bruce is eager to get them on the team fast, no time for games.

Agreed, though I do think Snyder made a mistake being so careless with the concept in BvS and MoS. Marvel has had the good fortune up to Spider-man of not using any characters where secret identities are a substantial part of their backstory.

Ashhong

Agreed, though I do think Snyder made a mistake being so careless with the concept in BvS and MoS. Marvel has had the good fortune up to Spider-man of not using any characters where secret identities are a substantial part of their backstory.

What was careless about those movies? Serious question. Especially in BvS, unless you mean Batman and Superman knowing each other?

Top Bottom