• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

sappyday

It really is.
Too bad the game's not suited for that type of dungeon though, because going through it was awesome.

It honestly made it that more engaging. If the game had better jumping controls then it would have been easy to finish it, but it seems like they knew this wasn't the case so they sort of designed it with the shitty jump controls in mind. Despite that, this is some of the most intricate and coolest level design I've seen. Like holy shit I feel like I need a smoke break after it and I don't even smoke cigs.

I just wish it connected to the story or there was some grand reveal at the end.

If I had to rank all the dungeons in the game it would go

1. Pitioss Ruins
2. The Rock of Ravatogh
3. Crestholm Channels
4. Steyliff Grove
5. Costlemark Tower
6. Greyshire Glacial Grotto
7. Balouve Mines
8. Malmalam Thicket
9. Keycatrich Trench
10. The Myrlwood
11. Fociaugh Hollow
12. Daurell Caverns

Chapter 13 would easily fall into the top 3 imo

OrionX

Overall I loved the game. It managed to connect with me emotionally way more than XII or XIII did, so that's a win in my book. Here are my ramblings for anyone who's interested. :)

World: I really feel like they tried to bring back the feel of the older FF's, but obviously on a realistic scale. Wandering around exploring, traveling by car listening to classic FF songs, Prompto's pics, camping, cooking, I loved all of that so much. I like that the dungeons had an actual sense of danger and were treated like events, each with their own unique dialogue.
More legit towns like Lestallum and Altissia would've been nice though. It's a damn shame we didn't get to see more of Tenebrae.

Battle system: Probably my favorite in the series. I never got tired of warp-striking, and I think they did a good job of making fights feel realistic. I liked being able to have companions use techniques. It may not be the same as full control but I was fine with it.

Characters: I think Noctis has become my favorite FF protagonist, and Prompto is one of my favorite overall FF characters as well. The bros have great chemistry together, and the journey aspect of the story really helps foster this. The villain is fantastic and imo the best since Sephiroth, though I feel they could've been fleshed out more. For me, the characters themselves are half the story, and it's lucky that I enjoyed them so much, because...

Story: It's funny, because the story is what I play these games for the most, but I found myself not really caring about the main story and just having fun running around with the bros. I put it off for so long, then once I finally
went to Altissia everything seemed to race by so fast, like the story was in a hurry to reach its conclusion. It was jarring after the leisurely aspect of the open world portion. I didn't have a problem with it going linear, I just would've liked the linear portion to have more cutscenes and better pacing. I liked the train stuff, but I feel like it was used as a crutch to keep from having to show us much of Niflheim.
Nonetheless, I thought the ending was emotionally satisfying and fantastically executed.

Right now, my top 5 FF ranking is:
X > VII > XV > VIII > IX

Sounds like there's a lot of post-game stuff to do, so I guess I'm onto that next! :D

SHarris78

This is my first FF and I'm really loving it so far, but I don't really know why! I'm currently doing side quests, hunts and general battling in the field in chapter 3 to level up as much as I possibly can - I'm not that great at battling so I'm trying to get as over-levelled as possible to make the rest of the game easier.

Already sick of hearing "Magitek engines' though - still not at the stage where I can't take them on without issues.

Did my first dungeon (royal tomb). It feels like the game is starting to get good. I haaaate having to absorb and craft magic, though.

I love Prompto. He's so cute when he gets scared. Best FF character in a while.

Overall I loved the game. It managed to connect with me emotionally way more than XII or XIII did, so that's a win in my book. Here are my ramblings for anyone who's interested. :)

World: I really feel like they tried to bring back the feel of the older FF's, but obviously on a realistic scale. Wandering around exploring, traveling by car listening to classic FF songs, Prompto's pics, camping, cooking, I loved all of that so much. I like that the dungeons had an actual sense of danger and were treated like events, each with their own unique dialogue.
More legit towns like Lestallum and Altissia would've been nice though. It's a damn shame we didn't get to see more of Tenebrae.

Battle system: Probably my favorite in the series. I never got tired of warp-striking, and I think they did a good job of making fights feel realistic. I liked being able to have companions use techniques. It may not be the same as full control but I was fine with it.

Characters: I think Noctis has become my favorite FF protagonist, and Prompto is one of my favorite overall FF characters as well. The bros have great chemistry together, and the journey aspect of the story really helps foster this. The villain is fantastic and imo the best since Sephiroth, though I feel they could've been fleshed out more. For me, the characters themselves are half the story, and it's lucky that I enjoyed them so much, because...

Story: It's funny, because the story is what I play these games for the most, but I found myself not really caring about the main story and just having fun running around with the bros. I put it off for so long, then once I finally
went to Altissia everything seemed to race by so fast, like the story was in a hurry to reach its conclusion. It was jarring after the leisurely aspect of the open world portion. I didn't have a problem with it going linear, I just would've liked the linear portion to have more cutscenes and better pacing. I liked the train stuff, but I feel like it was used as a crutch to keep from having to show us much of Niflheim.
Nonetheless, I thought the ending was emotionally satisfying and fantastically executed.

Right now, my top 5 FF ranking is:
X > VII > XV > VIII > IX

Sounds like there's a lot of post-game stuff to do, so I guess I'm onto that next! :D
Nice impressions!

Glad to have another one who ranks this among top 5 FFs :D

Pachimari

I don't know what I'm missing.

Jared stuff:

But if I was on the hunt for invaders who took over my country, and a kid I knew lost his dad to them, then I would want to revenge said kid too, especially as I am already looking to beat them up.

Maybe it was the whole overdramatization of it that didn't resonate with people? I know the problem is that we do not care because we as the player don't know who Jared is, but I can see how Noctis would care for the kid.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Not wanting to be a downer in the shiny new OT, but isn't this title a spoiler?

In other news, getting my new 4K TV this week, hope the full pro-patch drops!

It honestly made it that more engaging. If the game had better jumping controls then it would have been easy to finish it, but it seems like they knew this wasn't the case so they sort of designed it with the shitty jump controls in mind. Despite that, this is some of the most intricate and coolest level design I've seen. Like holy shit I feel like I need a smoke break after it and I don't even smoke cigs.

It would have been terrible as a mandatory dungeon, but as a secret post-game dungeon that isn't that obvious how to get to it I really liked it, especially the further in I got. At first I thought there maybe should have been more checkpoints, but I dialled back on that the more I played. The penalty for death was pretty lenient and retrying a section was really quick.

Possibly the only thing that might have worked better for it is if rather than a linear progression of
7 or so rooms that eventually worked back to the first, if they maybe had multiple branches from the first room that you'd loop back to after 2 or 3 rooms.

Also [enemy spoiler]
this game's version of the Demon Wall was amazing, such a simple concept (a massive spike wall moving back and forth in a room) was so well executed, with the player working there way across the room many times in order to go under, then behind, then through, then on top of and finally above this thing that had been present the entire time, just doing it's little thing.

Impulsor

Got my platinum trophy after about 70 hours.

The
Adamantaimai
boss fight is stupid, boring and badly designed. IT is just a fucking huge HP bullet sponge.

Some things are waaaaaaay out of tune for what the actual game content offers:
-AP requirements for some skills. You can overkill all the toughest content in the game with no need to buy the 999 AP skills and most of the 333 AP skills. Ridiculous.

The combat system does not shine until endgame. Even then, it still feels mostly like an item sink, in the sense that you have to be using elixirs, potions and the such, CONSTANTLY to survive through the tougher fights.

I have the full party at level 99, all the end game weapons, all royal arms, all dungeons, including
secret dungeon, which by the way, is awesomely designed, for a platformer game, not for FFXV stupid platforming controls though
, all car parts except the stupid Totomostro magitek reactor.

I still have to do some of the
door dungeons inside the other dungeons
and a lot of hunts.

I loved the game, but I can see that its development was troubled and some more time to finish the game would have done wonders. I will replay it when that awesome patch is released.

sappyday

It would have been terrible as a mandatory dungeon, but as a secret post-game dungeon that isn't that obvious how to get to it I really liked it, especially the further in I got. At first I thought there maybe should have been more checkpoints, but I dialled back on that the more I played. The penalty for death was pretty lenient and retrying a section was really quick.

Possibly the only thing that might have worked better for it is if rather than a linear progression of
7 or so rooms that eventually worked back to the first, if they maybe had multiple branches from the first room that you'd loop back to after 2 or 3 rooms.

Also [enemy spoiler]
this game's version of the Demon Wall was amazing, such a simple concept (a massive spike wall moving back and forth in a room) was so well executed, with the player working there way across the room many times in order to go under, then behind, then through, then on top of and finally above this thing that had been present the entire time, just doing it's little thing.
There's actually a hunt for that enemy. It's an actual enemy in another dungeon

Freeman76

nice open spoilers \

good job guys

Over-sensitive much? Jesus man...seriously!

OT: OT2 already! Decent game glad it has been popular. I finished it last night does someone fancy dropping some details on what you can do post-game as apart from a few sidequests that popped up there is no indication of what extra stuff happens(better spoiler tag it)

Cheers

vareon

Did my first dungeon (royal tomb). It feels like the game is starting to get good. I haaaate having to absorb and craft magic, though.

I love Prompto. He's so cute when he gets scared. Best FF character in a while.

Magic will get better once you get more flasks and more catalysts to use. One-shotting a cluster of Magitek troopers never gets old.

Koozek

Can't believe what they did to Jared. He was one of the greatest characters in the series, imo. I will replay soon so I can experience the moments with him again. Thank you for everything.

tumblr_mpe1r8ntFI1r2du9bo1_500.gif

Tyaren

Using magic is fun. :) I love the immense impact and how it looks. Some of the most beautiful effects I ever saw in a video game. But collecting and crafting these "magic nukes" is definitely tedious. Wished it could be a bit more comfortable and streamlined.

Got the platinum for this game.

Really had a problem with
how underwhelming the Adamantoise fight was especially since it didn't do anything for like 75% of the fight and only after started actually downing party members and inflicting status effects. The Naglfar was harder then it.

Ruff

Sir Tonberries are the greatest enemy to ever grace FF. I never lol'd, and shit myself out of horror so hard at the same time encountering a mob.

I just got this game around 2 weeks ago, and already played for 58 hours, that's an average of 4 hours a day. that's pretty insane for me, don't know when's the last time I played game so much in a short period of time.

Sir Tonberries are the greatest enemy to ever grace FF. I never lol'd, and shit myself out of horror so hard at the same time encountering a mob.
I can't stop letting them poke me with knife because they look so cute.

Can't believe what they did to Jared. He was one of the greatest characters in the series, imo. I will replay soon so I can experience the moments with him again. Thank you for everything.

Hey Koozek, you finally here :D

Finished the game last night and while I overall enjoyed it, I have a few gripes. I'm just gonna spoiler the whole damn thing, so don't read unless you've finished the game:

1) In a way, it felt like a reverse of FFXIII. Where XIII was way too closed for the first 90% of the game and opens up at the end, XV felt like the opposite. Way too open in the beginning and then way too closed off as you continue the story. I think a healthier dose of open world environments besides just Lucis would have been nice (and in all honesty, I just felt Lucis was too big.

2) The story really started getting interesting towards the end. I would have LOVED more to do in post-apocalypse Lucis.

3) God damn, grizzled Noctis and the gang were dapper as FUCK in their king and kingsglaive outfits.

4) I loved active mode, but the ability to do Libra manually in wait mode was fantastic. Why can't they give me a libra button in active mode?

5) The empire not chasing Noctis worth a damn was stupefying at first, but I guess it kind of makes sense when you realize that the empire isn't really being controlled by humans anymore.

6) This game has some of the most annoying side quests ever. "Hey you, go here and get this thing and bring it back. You did that? Well do it again, fucker."

7) FUCK THE CASTLEMARK DUNGEON MAZE

8) Summons coming out "whenever the fuck they feel like it" just felt weird. I'd have more preferred it if they were only reserved for boss battles, like in the ending.

9) The whole Altissa chapter felt like off to me. It was just paced extremely weird.
Overall, I really liked the game, especially once I stopped being obsessed with every side quest. It definitely shows a struggled development cycle, but it was nowhere near a bad game.

Javin98

Banned
Hey, guys, having a bit of trouble looking for the entrance to the Daurell caverns. Can anyone please help out? I mostly just want to get to the fishing spot, haha. Fishing is quite fun IMO.

Philippo

HE MUST NOT BE FORGOTTEN!

glad to have you back man :D

silva1991

I want to grind for AP today, but have a feeling it's a bitch unlike farming for EXP.

999 AP for more than 3 fucking skills...

What happened to Pryna?

Wait, who the hell is Pryna? :p

Aside from the 4 main characters I'm lost when it comes to other characters names.

Now I feel like this should have been the OT name lmao.

And yes chapter 13 is garbage, utterly terrible and lasted too long.

I suggested it yesterday

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226410715&postcount=19401

Gbraga

We should've thought more about the OT2, it would be nice if we prepared some tips and stuff that a lot of people end up asking about, like for example the fact that blink allows you to cancel your attack animations.

But eh, whatever. Great title!

Young Magus

Yo so when does the open world ends? Just reached a point in Chapter
where I recieved a warning that the open world won't be available for a good while.

Should I stop the main quest now and hunt/explore till I get my fill or what?

Also what guide is good for finding royal arms/hidden dugeons?

where I recieved a warning that the open world won't be available for a good while.

You can return to the open world at any time pretty much, so it never really "ends"

Ruff

You can go to the open world whenever you like for basically all of the game, but after chapter
it won't be chronologically canon to the plot

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kagari, who is the girl in the picture to the right of Noctis? I don't remember her in my game. Is she just in the promotional artwork?

ViciousDS

Banned

I just wish it connected to the story or there was some grand reveal at the end.

If I had to rank all the dungeons in the game it would go

1. Pitioss Ruins
2. The Rock of Ravatogh
3. Crestholm Channels
4. Steyliff Grove
5. Costlemark Tower
6. Greyshire Glacial Grotto
7. Balouve Mines
8. Malmalam Thicket
9. Keycatrich Trench
10. The Myrlwood
11. Fociaugh Hollow
12. Daurell Caverns

Chapter 13 would easily fall into the top 3 imo

I wish after the grand scheme of things pitioss would light up in full to let you bask in all the shit you had gone through to complete that monstrous maze.

Kagari, who is the girl in the picture to the right of Noctis? I don't remember her in my game. Is she just in the promotional artwork?

Don't do this Kev!!!!

How many ribbons are available as rewards? I got the one from doing
Sania's
questline and I can see one as a reward for a high level hunt in Lestallum. I've got 61 oracle coins at the moment so 40 of those and that's 1 more ribbon. That would mean grinding out more oracle coins, unless there's another that can be found elsewhere.

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
It's one of Ignis' techniques. I don't know about that other guy, but the weapon that seems to pair off the best with it is the Royal Arm, the Bow of the Clever. For whatever reason, the Overwhelm skill just makes you shoot a shit ton of arrows at a pretty fast rate, on top of your teammates attacking, so it's a lot of easy DPS. And if the monster is "vulnernable" when you use it? Good lord...

Nice. Gotta try this.

JBwB

How many ribbons are available as rewards? I got the one from doing
Sania's
questline and I can see one as a reward for a high level hunt in Lestallum. I've got 61 oracle coins at the moment so 40 of those and that's 1 more ribbon. That would mean grinding out more oracle coins, unless there's another that can be found elsewhere.

You can get heaps of oracle coins from
pitioss ruins
if you haven't gone there already.

I own 3 ribbons at the moment, just need to get the last one from that high level hunt.

Harmen

Chapter 9 was confusing to me. Not really plotwise, I just accept the plot for what it is at this point and just enjoy the main cast going trough these events. It is confusing to me in that it is both an utter mess and a real joy at once.

Still, I really wish this chapter was longer and that they did more with
Altissia. Maybe a dungeon underneath the city first. And maybe, you know, an actual conversation with Luna while she is still alive and kicking? And also some encounters with the empire/villains on a smaller scale, not necessarily combat but more plot related. Furthermore, it feels too brief for the destruction making much of an impact. And why not involve the player a bit with the evacuation that they keep mentioning?

So many why's while playing this game. Regardless of all of this and the messy gameplay at the end, I enjoyed the chapter quite a bit.

Paz

Just finished the story and I must say when the highs hit in this game they are fucking unbelievably high.

I feel like all the time I spent in the non 'story' sections just inhabiting the world and hanging with my crew made the entire back half of the game much more enjoyable and have a better emotional connection, it's such a shame the game is as inconsistent as it is because there are constant shimmers of utter brilliance in this game.

A worthy Final Fantasy, a flawed gem, and a great cleanser for possibly the least enjoyable JRPG I ever played, XIII. Probably my second favorite game of the year behind UC4.

Skulldead

I'm having a hard time to believe that they didn't include get all relic Weapon for the main quest of the game, it make totally not sense when you reach
Leviathan Boss fight, the game look like you had to get all the weapon for that event
. First it would have up the story line time play by a lot, and also made all the amazing optional dungeon required, which a lot of people have probably miss half of them. I can see the nightmare cycle the game seem to have. Nothing is cohesive in term of advance the plot and the game ... Also the way the game is not balance, show that they copy paste some important moment of gameplay foward and backward a lot of time.

JoeNut

About 7 hours in now, loving the game and combat is pretty good, i've just unlocked
those crazy weapons from the tombs
which add another dimension to the combat.

The one thing that i'm struggling with is the magic, they're basically grenades which you can only use once every 30 seconds or so, it's not really what i'd like and doesn't link up with the overall fast paced combat that the game encourages, it feels like you have to stop and move away to use the magic, which eliminates the fun of being involved in a big brawl.

So I just found out that the side quest in Altissia where you have to fight the lady in the painting is not in the game... that was the side quest I was looking to :(

jiggle

About 7 hours in now, loving the game and combat is pretty good, i've just unlocked
those crazy weapons from the tombs
which add another dimension to the combat.

The one thing that i'm struggling with is the magic, they're basically grenades which you can only use once every 30 seconds or so, it's not really what i'd like and doesn't link up with the overall fast paced combat that the game encourages, it feels like you have to stop and move away to use the magic, which eliminates the fun of being involved in a big brawl.
If you have a grounded enemy targeted
You can instant cast

Tyaren

So I just found out that the side quest in Altissia where you have to fight the lady in the painting is not in the game... that was the side quest I was looking to :(

Wait, what? o__O Seriously? I didn't attempt that quest in my playthrough but I thought it was there. Didn't other GAFers talk about it? I remember someone mentioning it a day or two ago.

Top Bottom