• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebil

So, will they lift the tomes of scripture limit when SB comes out? Right now you can really only get 2-3 pieces of i260 gear a week, but I have to assume with the level cap reaching 70 that the cap for 260 gear will be raised, especially if they make that kind of gear buyable/quest awarded at the start.
Yeah that restriction is going to be lifted. And IIRC Scripture will be phased out and you'll buy all 50-60 stuff with Poetics instead. You'll be able to trade Scripture for Poetics so hang on to these currencies.

dabig2

I think what they said was that all HW tomestones will be gone and former tomestone gear will be purchasable with poetics which are probably around forever. Something to that effect.

Yeah that restriction is going to be lifted. And IIRC Scripture will be phased out and you'll buy all 50-60 stuff with Poetics instead. You'll be able to trade Scripture for Poetics so hang on to these currencies.

Oh, nice. Thx for the info. I've ignored poetics for the most part, using it when needed for my anima weapon, but if they're coming back a big way with SB then I'll guess I'll pay more attention to them and try to keep them near maxed. Don't think I'll get around to leveling another class for Ironworks gear before SB, especially if I go for a 2nd anima weapon. I'll continue using my scriptures the next couple weeks for getting MNK gear since apparently SAM shares with it?

Returning player, dungeon finder waiting times are ridiculous. According to the menu there's a grand total of 9 players in queue right now, with a waiting time of over 20 minutes. I can't even progress the main story at this point

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Returning player, dungeon finder waiting times are ridiculous. According to the menu there's a grand total of 9 players in queue right now, with a waiting time of over 20 minutes. I can't even progress the main story at this point

DPS queues are the worst, though 20 minutes for being #9 in the queue seems a bit high.

It's much easier if you have a friend playing tank or healer you can party up with. That reduces the wait times significantly.

EDIT: What server are you on? If you're on Ultros, I can jump back on after I eat and queue up with you as WHM, see if that helps.

Omni

What dungeon are you trying to do?

Queue finally ended up popping after 25 minutes or so, was doing Gubal Library. I need to do the Antitower but I don't have the item level to qualify for queueing, so I'm trying to farm seals to get better gear.

And yeah, all I have at 60 is Dragoon.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Level 60 MNK. Now I'm safe in the post-double-weaving future.

The Makai MNK set is great.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Queue finally ended up popping after 25 minutes or so, was doing Gubal Library. I need to do the Antitower but I don't have the item level to qualify for queueing, so I'm trying to farm seals to get better gear.

Dang, I could have helped there. I need to run Gubal a few more times (very close to 60 on WHM and Gubal gives the most XP at Lv. 59).

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Are you on Ultros? I can make you some gear tomorrow if you are.

kagamin

You know what I really hope they do for MNK, make it so using Fists of Wind is worth your time outside of dodging mechanics during boss downtime.

duckroll

I'M BAAAAAAAAAAACK!

GoJsJAw.jpg

HE35f8m.jpg

Bam

Banned
Started playing this again after they took away the time restrictions on the free trial and ended up buying ARR. It always amazes me just how far the game has come compared to 1.0. I mean, I'm only a level 35 paladin but have close to three days played already.

Actually thinking about joining the FC since I have no one else to play with

Also, I haven't picked up Heavensward yet, but I read that Stormblood comes included with it. Is this for every version of Stormblood or just the $60 complete edition?

eliza0224

Finally came back after Mass Effect and Persona took over my life! Forgot how to play tho... I'd be getting my ass kicked if it weren't for my chocobo.

Onto the final HW quest and then Dragonsong War!

Ah sorry guys, thanks for the offers but I'm not on Ultros. I'm on Odin.

I'll see what I can do, but atm my item level is only like 170 or so. I got the weapon from potd at least.

I remember there being complaints about how Bard didn't have to deal with mechanics and lose damage like melee did since they didn't have cast times.

So I wonder if changes like no TP cost on Sprint and gap closers for some jobs (Warrior charge/ low CD Shukuchi/multi Shoulder Tackle) are supposed to attempt to alleviate this.

iammeiam

I remember there being complaints about how Bard didn't have to deal with mechanics and lose damage like melee did since they didn't have cast times.

So I wonder if changes like no TP cost on Sprint and gap closers for some jobs (Warrior charge/ low CD Shukuchi/multi Shoulder Tackle) are supposed to attempt to alleviate this.

The million dollar question at this point is if part, and if so how much, of the 30% damage buff the physical ranged classes lose alongside caster stance is going to get partially baked into their base potencies now, or if they're losing whatever chunk of it regaining auto attacks won't make up. It's another reason them not touching on the meat of the ranged changes is frustrating--the entire justification for caster stance in the first place was to cope with Bard's ability to run around the map and keep firing off weaponskills, and the only counter-measure they could come up with was cast times. The early HW stance was even with cast times Bard and MCH should be doing lower damage because supportthings, but there hasn't really been any indication of where they're targeting the jobs for SB and support skills are much more spread out now. We won't know in practice until the game goes live because it'll be a bunch of boring math, and god knows they've missed their targets repeatedly in the past, but it'd be nice to know what they think they're doing.

Where it gets sort of weird is that the problem is now going to be worse than ever--In ARR, a bard could move and keep hitting skills/doing damage no problem, but auto attacks required facing the boss, so there was some restriction--lock-on or strafe, because if you turn around to run away you're losing damage from missed autos. Since HW updated auto attacks to not require facing the target, it's going to move to being an even more mobile job than it was pre-HW. There's not really any amount of movement utility they can give other jobs that will match that, and the sprint change will end up benefitting the physical ranged just as much as tanks/melee. Shoulder tackle/Shukuchi/the warrior will definitely help those jobs, but physical ranged will be able to keep up full DPS for everything barring mechanics that force you outside of shooting range which haven't been super common.

Yes, they're using caster gear.

Cool, thanks!

Wow finally a new avy

I've had this Gief avatar for a while now! Just haven't posted in the thread much at all for the past year.

What are the chances that the GAF free company will ditch Ultros if SE offers enticing benefits to move to a less populated server?

Just want to make sure my $18 transfer is worth it, I'd love to play with you guys!

Drama is charge but I'd say slim to none. Ultros isn't a high pop server and we'd lose pretty much everything we have now. I'd say it's safe to transfer to Ultros if you wanted to play with, I would assume, the majority of people in this thread.

The million dollar question at this point is if part, and if so how much, of the 30% damage buff the physical ranged classes lose alongside caster stance is going to get partially baked into their base potencies now, or if they're losing whatever chunk of it regaining auto attacks won't make up. It's another reason them not touching on the meat of the ranged changes is frustrating--the entire justification for caster stance in the first place was to cope with Bard's ability to run around the map and keep firing off weaponskills, and the only counter-measure they could come up with was cast times. The early HW stance was even with cast times Bard and MCH should be doing lower damage because supportthings, but there hasn't really been any indication of where they're targeting the jobs for SB and support skills are much more spread out now. We won't know in practice until the game goes live because it'll be a bunch of boring math, and god knows they've missed their targets repeatedly in the past, but it'd be nice to know what they think they're doing.

Where it gets sort of weird is that the problem is now going to be worse than ever--In ARR, a bard could move and keep hitting skills/doing damage no problem, but auto attacks required facing the boss, so there was some restriction--lock-on or strafe, because if you turn around to run away you're losing damage from missed autos. Since HW updated auto attacks to not require facing the target, it's going to move to being an even more mobile job than it was pre-HW. There's not really any amount of movement utility they can give other jobs that will match that, and the sprint change will end up benefitting the physical ranged just as much as tanks/melee. Shoulder tackle/Shukuchi/the warrior will definitely help those jobs, but physical ranged will be able to keep up full DPS for everything barring mechanics that force you outside of shooting range which haven't been super common.
I'm guessing Det gets changed again to account for all physical damage dealers being more mobile and having auto attacks.

The way I look at sprint is that it's purely a benefit for melee since bard/machinist can dodge just as well without it, just with it on you have a bit more room for error but I don't think there are any AOEs or mechanics that you can't dodge without the use of sprint, so I think in the end it's going to help melee a little bit.

My assumption is that melee are going to get higher potencies and damage to compensate. I could be wrong though. I mean if their intent is for melee to ultimately deal more DPS than I don't see how else they could go about that. Could be that Bard and Machnist will get abilities that push the damage that melee jobs do above their own. We still don't know what the new Bard songs do for example, if they increase damage enemies take or if they take a penalty to their damage or anything like that.

The nearest point we could find out is when the NDA things goes up and the people who were invited to the media tour are able to post their findings.

MilkBeard

Sunk a couple of hours into starting the game. The first hour or so felt like a drag, because I already played this part back in the beta, but after doing a few quests, getting to the Shroud and fighting some monsters, I started to get hooked. I'm already lvl. 7, I'm guessing the higher level you go, the longer it starts to take to level up, considering the cap is at 60.

Killthee

Started playing this again after they took away the time restrictions on the free trial and ended up buying ARR. It always amazes me just how far the game has come compared to 1.0. I mean, I'm only a level 35 paladin but have close to three days played already.

Actually thinking about joining the FC since I have no one else to play with

Also, I haven't picked up Heavensward yet, but I read that Stormblood comes included with it. Is this for every version of Stormblood or just the $60 complete edition?
All versions have it.

Qvoth

Sunk a couple of hours into starting the game. The first hour or so felt like a drag, because I already played this part back in the beta, but after doing a few quests, getting to the Shroud and fighting some monsters, I started to get hooked. I'm already lvl. 7, I'm guessing the higher level you go, the longer it starts to take to level up, considering the cap is at 60.

just keep doing main story quests while clearing your hunting logs
side quests probably only the relevant ones
https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content
this guide should still be relevant

Elman

I figured Ultros was more populated for some reason - since that's not the case, I don't see how the "incentives" would apply, so it is a moot point.

Thank you for the responses! Just wanted to be sure.

iammeiam

The way I look at sprint is that it's purely a benefit for melee since bard/machinist can dodge just as well without it, just with it on you have a bit more room for error but I don't think there are any AOEs or mechanics that you can't dodge without the use of sprint, so I think in the end it's going to help melee a little bit.

Historically everyone can dodge just fine without sprint. They'd have to actually start making mechanics that require sprint for it to be anything other than a bonus for all involved; melee have traditionally been able to dodge just fine, this is largely advantageous in that it'll make it easier to sneak in a greed GCD.

There are also a ton of 'things going pear shaped' situations where sprint will be advantageous for ranged--grabbing a button at the last minute, adjusting positioning because somebody else fucked up, flinging yourself face-first into a soak somebody else is about to miss, whatever. The current assumption is ranged will do it anyway, so not having to vent TP on a last minute push-the-button-so-mooncrops-doesn't-kill-us-because-the-healer-just-died will be a step up.

My assumption is that melee are going to get higher potencies and damage to compensate. I could be wrong though. I mean if their intent is for melee to ultimately deal more DPS than I don't see how else they could go about that. Could be that Bard and Machnist will get abilities that push the damage that melee jobs do above their own. We still don't know what the new Bard songs do for example, if they increase damage enemies take or if they take a penalty to their damage or anything like that.

And that's why them having stated an intention of any kind would be fantastic. We don't know what they intend to do at all, and this ending up a major nerf wouldn't be a good thing. ARR bard was capped as second-string damage, justified due to a hybrid of mobility and support stuff. In HW ranged eventually rose to parity as actual functional DPS, ending up a little overpowered. SB is spreading a lot of the traditional 'support' stuff amongst all DPS. RDM gets what amounts to a raging strikes that will also buff physical damage dealers in the party. Monk gets a party buff that will also feed them chakra.

We're at a point where being able to resource regen or buff party damage isn't a 'support' job thing anymore, so I'd rather they drop the support designation altogether and just let DPS be DPS and the utility each DPS provides be determined by what they cross-in for their individual groups. But, as you said, we know borderline nothing about the job skills or what the dev team envisions which is sort of the whole problem.

Ideally they balance shit out assuming 100% uptime keeps physical ranged competitive with other DPS; slapping a couple extra group buffs on us and then dropping us to 80% damage is a lot less appealing in a world where everyone brings something to the utility table.

The nearest point we could find out is when the NDA things goes up and the people who were invited to the media tour are able to post their findings.

It's super unlikely we'll get much out of the media tour that's nerd theorycraft friendly, due to a combination of what they'll focus on (which won't be potencies) and how in-flux some of the numbers may be. We should get vague ideas of what the jobs do, and it'll answer a bunch of broad questions, but I'd be surprised if we got a full list of potencies for all the skills/how ranged WD stacks up against other DPS in AF3 needed to really gauge things.

duckroll

Made decent progress on my first day back to FFXIV in what seems like a year, but was more like over a month.

The Good:
- Fighting Ravana aka Aura Battler Dunbine
- Seeing
SHIVA vs RAVANA
- Finally unlocking all the Aether Currents in a zone and experiencing flying
- Using flying to hit cool sightseeing spots all over the zone

The Bad:
- Fuck moogles
- Fuck moogles
- Fuck moogles

The Ugly:
- Wiping on Tioman like 5 time, got more painful each time. A mix of bad luck, poor skill, and maybe having 2 noobs (including me!) in the party

Stuart444

I don't get this, for me and my partner (both UK), I ordered the CE for PS4 on the SE store, entered the early access code in PSN, says it is confirmed but the website doesn't update to show the circle for early access.

Same with my partner who preordered the digital CE and no circle under early access on the mogstation.

Makes me wonder when it will update for us with the circle :/

Redx508

I don't get this, for me and my partner (both UK), I ordered the CE for PS4 on the SE store, entered the early access code in PSN, says it is confirmed but the website doesn't update to show the circle for early access.

Same with my partner who preordered the digital CE and no circle under early access on the mogstation.

if you preorder from PSN it will auto link it for you.

not sure about the SE store but it should be the same as pc you get the EA code to enter on redeem.finalfantasyxiv.com than pick PS4 and use that code on your ps4

Killthee

PS version of the game doesnt use mogstation codes. The license is tied to your PSN account when your purchase/redeem the game.

When they update the launcher for early access/stormblood data, the launcher will automatically detect your license and take you to mogstation to redeem/confirm it. You wont have to enter any additional keys on mogstation, your account already has them and is just waiting for the launcher to be updated.

So how do i play with my friends who are on Gilgamesh since creation there is locked?

Am I screwed? (New player here)

1. Wait and see if post-Stormblood launch SE will re-open those servers for transfers and new characters again.

2. See if any of them are interested in transferring over to another server (unlikely though, lol)

3. Be on any other server on the Aether data centre and hope to be able to play through (most) instanced content with your Gilgamesh friends using cross-server Party Finder. Of course it won't replicate the experience of having them there with you on the same server, but it's the next best thing at this point.

So how do i play with my friends who are on Gilgamesh since creation there is locked?

Well, you won't be able to do any open world content with them but the game has cross server matchmaking so you guys can run most content together if you create a character in any Aether datacenter server. This feature will get upgraded with time so you guys can have cross world linkshells and free companies as well.

Beyond that, you can either wait till Gilgamesh opens - which will take forever lol - or they can transfer somewhere else.

Caim

Will have to wait to see if it opens anytime soon.

Awhile back (I think it was during launch of HW) servers like Excalibur would open very briefly every morning and then close back up again.

iammeiam

I would not expect to see Gilgamesh or Balmung opening up until well after SB launch. They are incredibly overpopulated and as people resub on both servers for the expansion, it's just going to get worse.

As far as I know, the preemptive move to shut down server transfers to those servers, and not just character creation, is a new one. I don't think it happened pre-HW? I'd imagine they're going to do everything they can to prevent either from increasing in size until the SB launch hype goes down and the population starts contracting again.

Trying to land somewhere else on Aether and planning to stay for a few months would probably be smart. Housing and social ties can make it awkward, but there are worse things in the world than finding a small server that's unlikely to be overloaded with expansion hype to do initial early leveling on.

Sylas

I would not expect to see Gilgamesh or Balmung opening up until well after SB launch. They are incredibly overpopulated and as people resub on both servers for the expansion, it's just going to get worse.

As far as I know, the preemptive move to shut down server transfers to those servers, and not just character creation, is a new one. I don't think it happened pre-HW? I'd imagine they're going to do everything they can to prevent either from increasing in size until the SB launch hype goes down and the population starts contracting again.

Trying to land somewhere else on Aether and planning to stay for a few months would probably be smart. Housing and social ties can make it awkward, but there are worse things in the world than finding a small server that's unlikely to be overloaded with expansion hype to do initial early leveling on.

Yeah, they didn't shut it down entirely for HW and as a result Balmung had some pretty serious stability issues for a day or so. Now that they've stopped transfers from getting in it'll be kinda nice (for those of us already there) even if the community is in tears because they think it's being fragmented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom