• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tablets for Art (Surface, Yoga, iPad Pro etc.) Deals Thread [to be updated regularly]

Instead of making bunch of individual threads alerting GAF on art tablet deals, I'm making one master thread for these deals that will be bumped with updates periodically.

- Any tablets that uses active pressure sensitive pen/stylus/pencil qualifies.
- New or factory refurbished sales only

Pretty simple. I know there are plenty of on the budget artists out there, and Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book aren't the most affordable options. This thread should help alert you to any compelling deals you might not be otherwise be aware of.

Today's deal alert is for the previous gen Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14. This is the older version of the Thinkpad Yoga 14 I made a thread about couple months ago. The only real difference is lack of built in thin stylus, and it comes with 1TB spinning platter instead of 256GB SSD.

lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-yoga-14-black-main.png

$699 gets you:
- 14" 1920x1080 IPS LCD
- Core i5 5200U
- Wacom Active ES digitizer (2048 levels of pressure, AAAA battery pen)
- 8GB of DDR3 RAM on single SoDIMM slot (the unit can take Lenovo branded 16GB SoDIMM)
- 42mm half length 16GB m.2 drive + 1TB 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD (both accessible for upgrading to a dual boot scenario)
- NVIDIA 940M discrete GPU with 2GB DDR3
- Windows 10 Home

Unfortunately the pen does not come with the unit, so you need to make sure to order it separately. Good thing is that it's only $40. It has premium metal construction and nice weight to it. Uses AAAA battery, which it comes with.

Here's a video review on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS4Lv76SwvQ

What is special about this unit is the combination of large screen, Wacom pen, and discrete GPU. It's giving you similar capability as the Surface Book for much much less. And because it is VERY upgradable (7 screws on the bottom and you have access to the SoDIMM, m.2, and 2.5" HDD slots), you can deck this unit out with large fast SSD and 16GB of RAM and still come out less than a grand.

DEAL ENDS presumably by the end of the year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Threads like this make me sad I live in the UK - Lenovo has such a limited range over here. I don't even think they sell active digitiser tablets/laptops over here, let alone discount them

I don't want to make you sad. It might not be a terrible idea for you to start UK version of this thread, assuming there are deals to be had on your side of the pond.

Or just contribute to this thread with UK deals (making sure it's clear in the post title).

en-INTL-L-Surface-Pro3-128GB-i3-Win10-ST9-00001-mnco.jpg

You all know what Surface Pro 3 is.

You also know that there was always the Core i3 version as the entry version with 64GB.

What you may not know is that during 2015 12 days of December sale, Microsoft brought out a new model with 128GB SSD instead of 64GB SSD. They took out the packed in Surface Pen but lowered the price to $599! Compared that to the $699 price they are charging for the 64GB version.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...0600?icid=Holiday_Surface_Cat_ModG_SP3_110515

You will have to buy the pen separately but since it's only $50, you still win out on this deal. They are also selling the older SP3 type cover keyboard for $70 in the stores if you ask for a deal (at least they did at my LA store).

BTW, buy the older pen for your surface instead of the new one with the eraser on the end. It's a better tool. The new pen doesn't allow for easy pressure sensitive erasing, where as with the old pen, you simply hold down one of the buttons and use the pressure sensitive tip to erase.

This deal supposedly ends at the end of the year, at both MS Store and Best Buy.

Gnome

I got a Cintiq Companion last year on sale, I don't see a sale atm for it though. They're pretty awesome.

lenovo-tablet-ideapad-miix-700-main.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yHziQZxgZ8

- Core M3, M5, M7 CPU
- 4/8GB DDR3 RAM
- 64/128/256GB SSD
- 12" 2160x1440 IPS
- Built in kick stand
- Wacom Active ES digitizer
- Packed in type cover
- Windows 10 Home/Pro

The Lenovo Ideapad Miix 700 is a blatant Surface Pro 3 clone from Lenovo. But what separates it from SP3 is the use of the Core M processor. Entry SP4 also uses Core M but it is only paired with 4GB of RAM. The Miix 700 has 8GB options.

Miix 700 just launched at Lenovo's website, so prices are locked currently at $749, $899, and $1099 respectively for Core M3 4GB/64GB, Core M5 8GB/128GB, and Core M7 8GB/256GB models.

However, Costco.com is offering (AFAIK no membership necessary for purchase), the M5 and M7 versions for $799 and $999 respectively. That's savings of $100 on a brand new model.

http://www.costco.com/Lenovo-Miix-7...-M5-|-FHD+-2160-x-1440.product.100229662.html

http://www.costco.com/Lenovo-Miix-7...-|-Office-365-Personal.product.100229657.html

Why should you consider Miix 700 instead of say Surface Pro 3 Core i3 or Surface Pro 4? Other than the already mentioned combination of Core M CPU and 8GB of RAM, you also get Wacom Active ES digitizer instead of N-Trig. While the pens are very similar in capabilities (even though Wacom on paper does 2048 levels of pressure instead of 256/1024 of N-Trig), the Wacom side will give you a much better Wintab software support, meaning better compatibility with existing art software.

As with the Thinkpad Yoga 14, you will need to buy the Lenovo Pen Pro separately for $40.

This deal end 1/15/2016

Nice thread

I'm looking to replace my og surface pro

Should I go surface pro 3/4 or iPad pro

Right now, iPad Pro is simply a Procreate device IMO. It's the only app that is worth that digitizer inside the iPad Pro. If that app is good enough to do all you need to do, and you don't need a file system to do your work, then go ahead with iPad Pro. Otherwise go with Windows tablet with pressure sensitive pen.

jwk94

Hmm while I'm here...got my girlfriend a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 for Christmas with an Adonit Jot Pro for her stylus. She likes it, but wants a second stylus with a finer tip that isn't a disc. We're looking at the Adonit Jot Dash, but I'm not sure if that's the best option. Is there something better for her artists stuff? The more I look at it, the more I regret not getting her an Apple tablet because it seems like that's the place to go for apps and artistry stuff.

Hmm while I'm here...got my girlfriend a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 for Christmas with an Adonit Jot Pro for her stylus. She likes it, but wants a second stylus with a finer tip that isn't a disc. We're looking at the Adonit Jot Dash, but I'm not sure if that's the best option. Is there something better for her artists stuff? The more I look at it, the more I regret not getting her an Apple tablet because it seems like that's the place to go for apps and artistry stuff.

Android has far more tablet options with pressure sensitive pen than on iOS. If she is serious about art, she should sell that Galaxy tab and either get Galaxy Note 10.1 if she wants to keep to Android, or get a Windows tablet or iPad Pro. Adonit options are limited in software support and I really don't like them.

Gnome

Do most digitizer pens for commercial tablets still require batteries? I use to own a Lenovo tablet with a digitizer a few years ago and it required batteries, didn't care for it.

jwk94

Android has far more tablet options with pressure sensitive pen than on iOS. If she is serious about art, she should sell that Galaxy tab and either get Galaxy Note 10.1 if she wants to keep to Android, or get a Windows tablet or iPad Pro. Adonit options are limited in software support and I really don't like them.

Hmm, why sell the Galaxy Tab and get the Note?

Do most digitizer pens for commercial tablets still require batteries? I use to own a Lenovo tablet with a digitizer a few years ago and it required batteries, didn't care for it.

Most do. Only Wacom EMR is battery-less intrinsically, but they seem to be losing favor from ODMs.

But Wacom Active ES options from Lenovo does have rechargeable pen versions a la Apple Pencil. Lenovo Thinkpad 260 and 460 come with them built in.

Gnome

Most do. Only Wacom EMR is battery-less intrinsically, but they seem to be losing favor from ODMs.

But Wacom Active ES options from Lenovo does have rechargeable pen versions a la Apple Pencil. Lenovo Thinkpad 260 and 460 come with them built in.
Rechargeable huh, that would be the way to do it. Those batteries were weird and impossible to find without buying online.

Right now, iPad Pro is simply a Procreate device IMO. It's the only app that is worth that digitizer inside the iPad Pro. If that app is good enough to do all you need to do, and you don't need a file system to do your work, then go ahead with iPad Pro. Otherwise go with Windows tablet with pressure sensitive pen.

Yep, pretty much this. The pro has the best feel in digital drawing IMO.

Yep, pretty much this. The pro has the best feel in digital drawing IMO.

LOL I didn't say that. I hate the way the pencil feels personally. It's too slippery and the way pressure curve is mapped, I can't seem to do a decent drawing with it. I would put it behind Wacom Active ES and N-Trig atm.

RS4-

Thanks shog, my aunt was looking for a replacement for her broken tablet and laptop. Almost got her an sp3/4; but that lenovo from Costco probably fits the bill better. Especially with the warranty. Hopefully they have it in store here before I fly back home tonight.

What would be the best tablet to get for someone who works with Toon Boom Harmony?

Is there a way I can plug the tablet into the computer and use it like a Cintiq?

What would be the best tablet to get for someone who works with Toon Boom Harmony?

From what I know of Toon Boom, it's a CPU hog so I would go for most horsepower, which means you only have one choice: VAIO Z Canvas. It simply crushes all tablets comers with it's quad core Core i7 power. Can be had with up to 16GB of RAM. Also has 95% Adobe RGB capable LCD.

Unfortunately you missed the $500 off sale from MS Store last week.

Is there a way I can plug the tablet into the computer and use it like a Cintiq?
There was some kind of freeware app on Windows side that used gigabit network to connect to another PC as second monitor, but nothing polished in UI and presentation like the AstroPad for iPads. But then again, AstroPad is very limited in resolution and refresh rate to deal with the bandwidth issue.

It's simply easier to go with a powerful tablet like the VAIO Z Canvas atm.

Thanks shog, my aunt was looking for a replacement for her broken tablet and laptop. Almost got her an sp3/4; but that lenovo from Costco probably fits the bill better. Especially with the warranty. Hopefully they have it in store here before I fly back home tonight.

Unfortunately I believe it's online orders only atm. Not enough units to stock all the Costco stores. My store in LA (Glendale) didn't have it. I'm soooooo close to ordering the $799 M5 version. I think I want the 8GB RAM over the Core i3 SP3 I just picked up from MS Store. Gotta take advantage of the holiday return policy, knowwhatimean?

RS4-

Ah fuck, online only eh. I'll call the one here in West Covina and see what's up. Was going for the m5 version as well.

Ah fuck, online only eh. I'll call the one here in West Covina and see what's up. Was going for the m5 version as well.

I didn't mention it but Miix 700 is apparently VERY easy to crack open (screwed together, not glued together). Unfortunately the RAM is soldered on, but the m.2 (I'm pretty sure it's m.2) is easy to access. I plan to drop in a 512GB SSD later when I see a good sale on one. So yeah, the 8GB/128GB M5 version is the winner.

jwk94

Galaxy Note 10.1 has Wacom digitizer layer and comes with Wacom pen built in.

Just looked into it. Yeah that does seem like a much better fit than what I got her. Anyway, the tablet was defective (SD card slot wasn't working), so we'll return that and get the Note 10.1. Is there anything else I should know? Would she be fine with the 16GB model w/ a 64GB SD card?

Just looked into it. Yeah that does seem like a much better fit than what I got her. Anyway, the tablet was defective (SD card slot wasn't working), so we'll return that and get the Note 10.1. Is there anything else I should know? Would she be fine with the 16GB model w/ a 64GB SD card?

If she doesn't intend to install large apps. 16GB is fine. Just be aware that there are 2 versions of the Note 10.1 so make sure to get the one that is listed as 2014 version with 3GB of RAM.

jwk94

If she doesn't intend to install large apps. 16GB is fine. Just be aware that there are 2 versions of the Note 10.1 so make sure to get the one that is listed as 2014 version with 3GB of RAM.

Alright thanks. Before we wipe the tablet, is there a way to transfer her drawings over to the new one? We'll be using the same apps so should I just backup the app data and restore it on the new device?

Would love a UK version of this thread.

ATM tossing up between a Huion 185 or waiting for the Artisul 13 to hit Amazon, but honestly I'd really just prefer to get a portable computer that I can draw on.

Alright thanks. Before we wipe the tablet, is there a way to transfer her drawings over to the new one? We'll be using the same apps so should I just backup the app data and restore it on the new device?

Depends on the app I suppose. See if there is export option. Then export into the cloud since SD card slot does not work,

I personally think that if the app does not support layers in .PSD format, it's pretty damn useless. Sketchbook Pro should support that in Android. Also look into Layer Paint. Those two apps allow .PSD files with layers IIRC.

Don't stick with a terrible app just because you have couple of drawings you like on it.

UFO

Banned
Hey Shog, it's a bit outside the scope of the thread, but what do you think about the Asus Transformer? 4GB memory, Windows 10 and Quad-Core Cherry Trail for $300. Know anything about them?

Hey Shog, it's a bit outside the scope of the thread, but what do you think about the Asus Transformer? 4GB memory, Windows 10 and Quad-Core Cherry Trail for $300. Know anything about them?
It's a good general purpose tablet in the low end. That price is much better than what I've seen around. I honestly wouldn't feel good paying more than 400 for it but at 300, I'd feel pretty good about it.

PSGames

lenovo-tablet-ideapad-miix-700-main.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yHziQZxgZ8

- Core M3, M5, M7 CPU
- 4/8GB DDR3 RAM
- 64/128/256GB SSD
- 12" 2160x1440 IPS
- Built in kick stand
- Wacom Active ES digitizer
- Packed in type cover
- Windows 10 Home/Pro

The Lenovo Ideapad Miix 700 is a blatant Surface Pro 3 clone from Lenovo. But what separates it from SP3 is the use of the Core M processor. Entry SP4 also uses Core M but it is only paired with 4GB of RAM. The Miix 700 has 8GB options.

Miix 700 just launched at Lenovo's website, so prices are locked currently at $749, $899, and $1099 respectively for Core M3 4GB/64GB, Core M5 8GB/128GB, and Core M7 8GB/256GB models.

However, Costco.com is offering (AFAIK no membership necessary for purchase), the M5 and M7 versions for $799 and $999 respectively. That's savings of $100 on a brand new model.

http://www.costco.com/Lenovo-Miix-7...-M5-|-FHD+-2160-x-1440.product.100229662.html

http://www.costco.com/Lenovo-Miix-7...-|-Office-365-Personal.product.100229657.html

Why should you consider Miix 700 instead of say Surface Pro 3 Core i3 or Surface Pro 4? Other than the already mentioned combination of Core M CPU and 8GB of RAM, you also get Wacom Active ES digitizer instead of N-Trig. While the pens are very similar in capabilities (even though Wacom on paper does 2048 levels of pressure instead of 256/1024 of N-Trig), the Wacom side will give you a much better Wintab software support, meaning better compatibility with existing art software.

As with the Thinkpad Yoga 14, you will need to buy the Lenovo Pen Pro separately for $40.

This deal end 1/15/2016

Looks like Costco adds a $40 non-membership fee when trying to purchase plus there's shipping of $25 as well.

jwk94

Depends on the app I suppose. See if there is export option. Then export into the cloud since SD card slot does not work,

I personally think that if the app does not support layers in .PSD format, it's pretty damn useless. Sketchbook Pro should support that in Android. Also look into Layer Paint. Those two apps allow .PSD files with layers IIRC.

Don't stick with a terrible app just because you have couple of drawings you like on it.

You have a point there. I made a sketch and saved it. Looks like it saves as a .tiff file.

EDIT:
Ok, I looked into it some more. It's .PSD but I have no clue how to restore the file from the PSD.

Sorry, this might not be on topic but what's the best brand from just the drawing pads? I was looking at the wacom intuos pro medium and it seems like a great product. Just wondering what people think.

XAL

Sorry, this might not be on topic but what's the best brand from just the drawing pads? I was looking at the wacom intuos pro medium and it seems like a great product. Just wondering what people think.

Wacom is generally regarded as the best there is.

Even in the face of apple pencil or whatever, most working professional artists still greatly prefer Wacom over everything else for digital.

Looks like Costco adds a $40 non-membership fee when trying to purchase plus there's shipping of $25 as well.

Boooo~ Costco Booo~

Thanks for the info. Will notify of that with Costco deals in the future.

You have a point there. I made a sketch and saved it. Looks like it saves as a .tiff file.

EDIT:
Ok, I looked into it some more. It's .PSD but I have no clue how to restore the file from the PSD.

.PSD file can be opened by Photoshop or any art apps that support .PSD format.

You can't go wrong with Wacom, but Monoprice tablets based on UC Logic digitizer and pen is just as good if you want to save some money.

vareon

I bought a Galaxy Tab A. It's a poor man's art tablet but it does everything I need (which is only sketching layout for comics).

I want to get a better stylus than the one that came with my surface pro. Is there any better alternative than the expensive wacom bamboo feel stylus?

Any reviews yet of the miix 700? Curious how it compares to the m3&i5 surface pro 4.

Nothing I've found.

I want to get a better stylus than the one that came with my surface pro. Is there any better alternative than the expensive wacom bamboo feel stylus?

If you have Surface Pro 1 and 2, you have lots of choices as long as you are only looking for functionality, not fancy metal body with cap. I personally prefer the Fujitsu 2 button pen. Not too long, but nicely made. You can get a 2 pack for $50 from Fujitsu. or $10~30 for 1 on eBay.

Zaru

Just ordered the Thinkpad Yoga 14 with 5500U/8GB RAM/512GB SSD/940M. Supposedly comes with a pen, but I don't know what kind.
Here's to hoping it's not a dud (not a rare occurence with Lenovo). I'm prepared to get a replacement (more than once) if I find any of the known issues. But if it works as intended, the device sounds great.

Just ordered the Thinkpad Yoga 14 with 5500U/8GB RAM/512GB SSD/940M. Supposedly comes with a pen, but I don't know what kind.
Here's to hoping it's not a dud (not a rare occurence with Lenovo). I'm prepared to get a replacement (more than once) if I find any of the known issues. But if it works as intended, the device sounds great.

I would order the pen separately. It does not come in the box. Unless it comes as a bundle deal with the laptop, the salesperson is mistake.

BTW, I helped my friend order your model few months back. It's a well tested model. You should have good luck with it.

Top Bottom