• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN rushes through PJSideScroller, lies, is called out, removes part of review

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
EmmanuelMunoz said:
When did this turn into trashing Dylan Cuthbert?

He called out a reviewer and is now defending himself on twitter. People are calling him unprofessional but he saw something he believed to be wrong and called it out.

Are people saying he is a douche because of this:

He is right. Q-Games is a small studio and if a large website calls your game crap for incorrect reasons there is nothing wrong with calling them out.

Miyamoto was at his wedding for gods sake!

Some of his quotes are

it really annoys me because it is the first review to go up and it's obviously completely rushed by an intern
no idea but my take from this is noone should be reading that web-shite in the first place :)

It's fine to defend yourself, but it's still up in the air for now on wheter or not the reviewer even lied. He has a blog post saying he played it on both difficulties...him building a story around it, if it's a lie, is going to explode in his face. If it isn't a lie, he didn't really do anything wrong though he shouldn't have changed the review without saying anything.

Cartman86

Banned
Looks like if no ones budges this is going to be a he said she said sort of thing. Is the code Sony sent final? Does it matter if he played it on a dev unit etc. What if Dameon comes out and says he miss-remembered that the extra boss fight was actually only in Normal? I suppose after so many corrections it becomes harder to believe something, but still sides will be chosen...

Replicant said:
And I find it hard to believe that a reviewer, who claimed that he doesn't really like the game and pressed for time, would bother to play the game TWICE. Once in casual mode and another one in normal mode.
Its a sub 2 hour game that costs 10 bucks. Is it really that hard to believe he played through it again? And giving it a a score that rates it as okay, is not liking it? Really?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Vire said:
Dylan

@DaemZero you didn't play it on normal (as is obvious from your review) - completing it on casual doesn't unlock the last epic stage

Daemon

To clarify, there are three stages in SideScroller. In both casual and normal mode, when you complete all three stages you unlock the "last stage." So I played through this last stage on both difficulties.

Someone is incorrect and or lying.

yeah we need some clarification on this tbh.

Vire

Cartman86 said:
Looks like if no ones budges this is going to be a he said she said sort of thing. Is the code Sony sent final? Does it matter if he played it on a dev unit etc. What if Dameon comes out and says he miss-remembered that the extra boss fight was actually only in Normal? I suppose after so many corrections it becomes harder to believe something, but still sides will be chosen...
Then he's a fucking liar haha.

If no one says anything, someone here on GAF will beat the game shortly and find out what's right.

kassatsu

Banned
Fong Ghoul said:
Isn't the game out? I thought it was out on the 25th. Has nobody on GAF actually played it? Here are the questions that need to be answered:

1) How many stages are there total?
2) How many are there in each mode?
3) When/how is the "epic last level" unlocked?
4) When it is unlocked, can it be played on any difficulty?
5) What happens when the game is completed on normal? Is there a different message from the one shown when it is completed on casual?

Edit: He mentions the last level right there in the review:

1) How many stages are there total? 13 stages total
2) How many are there in each mode? didn't play casual, but normal has all 13
3) When/how is the "epic last level" unlocked? not sure, i have only played normal and hard
4) When it is unlocked, can it be played on any difficulty? You have to get to it for it to be unlocked
5) What happens when the game is completed on normal? Is there a different message from the one shown when it is completed on casual? You can a cutscene and a new visual filter is applied to the game when you play on hard (not mentioned in his review)

Ydahs

I think the reply by Deamon is fair enough. Unlocking an 'epic last stage' wouldn't have changed the score by a lot I'd imagine.

Cartman86 said:

Well Cuthbert says the code he played was retail, but there is still the possibility that a debug setting was left in the retail code which changed something if it was played on a dev unit, as Hetfield says he did. So it's still possible that nobody is actually trying to pull a fast one here, albeit getting more and more unlikely as the minutes drag on.

Vire said:
Someone is incorrect and or lying.

This is true, but the IGN dude didn't help his cause by editing the review. If he really did that after Cuthburt called him out on Twitter that is almost like admitting he was wrong.

GhaleonQ

Zomba13 said:
I still don't know what this means.

Does it mean 'eat their words'? If so, why do people use 'crow'?

Crow is stringy, sour-tasting, and traditionally only done by the poor. Humble pie is a meat pie with offal. All 3 are unpleasant, last resorts.

Replicant

Gamer @ Heart said:
Its a sub 2 hour game that costs 10 bucks. Is it really that hard to believe he played through it again? And giving it a a score that rates it as okay, is not liking it? Really?

Right, because he paid for it as opposed to getting free review code from Sony. And judging from the tone of his review one can tell that he's not that enthusiastic about the game. Why would anyone who's not even that keen on a game play something twice?

Shurs

Replicant said:
Right, because he paid for it as opposed to getting free review code from Sony. And judging from the tone of his review one can tell that he's not that enthusiastic about the game. Why would anyone who's not even that keen on a game play something twice?

He said on Twitter that he enjoyed all of the previous PixelJunk titles. Maybe he played through it once, didn't like it, but decided to give it another shot.

It happens.

Riposte

crankypants said:
I will say one thing about this:

Daemon is one of the biggest shmup fans I know.

Shame how this has all gone down, but at the very least the guy definitely has an affection for the genre.

Does he credit feed? If so, then his affection means nothing lol.

Amir0x said:
Come on though. That vapid 10/10/10/10/10/10/10 review for Uncharted 3? This shit? The latest string of articles (should Zelda be more like Elder Scrolls, etc)...

...IGN really is just a shitty shitty website.

That is probably a fair assessment to make, but we should look deeper than that. IGN Wii writers seem especially atrocious for example. You want to do this because those writers can leave IGN and join other websites, habits in tact.

Vire

Ninja Scooter said:
This is true, but the IGN dude didn't help his cause by editing the review. If he really did that after Cuthburt called him out on Twitter that is almost like admitting he was wrong.
I'm with you. It seems extraordinarily fishy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
JackEtc said:
Remind me, GAF, since the search function here stinks. What's some other shit IGN has pulled? I can only remember a few.

Stolen DeviantArt piece for a Pokemon Article.
Okami watermark.
List masquerading as editorials.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137707
Should Sony Abandon the PSP?
What Zelda could learn from Skyrim
What Nintendo Can Learn from Catherine
Mario and DK haven't evolved since the SNES
Fake or Gay: Yoshi and Turok

Shurs said:
He said on Twitter that he enjoyed all of the previous PixelJunk titles. Maybe he played through it once, didn't like it, but decided to give it another shot.

It happens.

But the $50,000 question is: Why did he edit the review?

Don't know if this has been said yet, but playing this type of game on casual is basically an insult to the game! If you were at all excited for it, you'd play it on at least normal if not hard!

Agent X

Is there anyone here on NeoGAF who has played through the game on multiple difficulties, who could confirm or deny what happens? Perhaps a YouTube video of the ending sequences could clear things up.

DonMigs85

Cuthbert should fly over to the IGN offices and test the game on Hatfield's dev console, livestreaming everything of course.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
kassatsu said:
1) How many stages are there total? 13 stages total
2) How many are there in each mode? didn't play casual, but normal has all 13
3) When/how is the "epic last level" unlocked? not sure, i have only played normal and hard
4) When it is unlocked, can it be played on any difficulty? You have to get to it for it to be unlocked
5) What happens when the game is completed on normal? Is there a different message from the one shown when it is completed on casual? You can a cutscene and a new visual filter is applied to the game when you play on hard (not mentioned in his review)

Finally! Someone who's actually beat the game!

Reuenthal

Banned
I think a title change and an addition of the response to the accusations (which should be posted and not only linked to) is in order for this thread. As for me, I don't know what to make of this mess.

OK, so pretty much confirmed (by DC at this point) the only thing Daemon possibly missed was a final cutscene. Seems like an overreaction to call him out publicly for that.

Aselith

Shurs said:

It happens.

So as a shooter fan, he played through it once on Normal and thought, "Maybe it's better on Casual!" or conversely as a shooter fan (!) he played through it once on Casual and thought, "Maybe it will be better on Normal!"

Neither of those seem like likely scenarios. The obvious choice playing through it on Normal would be to up the difficulty to see if gets to be a better shooter and the obvious first difficulty choice as a fan of the genre is Normal at the very least.

GDJustin says he's a shooter fan and he works with him.

Vire

dylancuthbert Dylan Cuthbert
@
@JDFatalist the level unlocks, but it doesn't give you the big finale ending - in casual it does just plonk you back on the title screen

In the original review Daemon says it just plonks you back to the title screen. MEANING that he was only talking about the casual ending. MEANING that he didn't actually play normal. Thus not playing the extra level.

Right?

Shurs

Ninja Scooter said:
But the $50,000 question is: Why did he edit the review?

He may have thought that he missed something.

Cuthbert's accusation mentions an "epic" stage.

I could see him pulling the two sentences in question, going back to the game looking to see if he missed something, realizing that he had played this "epic" stage, and then going back and putting the pulled content back into the review.

The review is back to its original text.

More tweets:

Regarding if the level unlocks on casual or not:

"the level unlocks, but it doesn't give you the big finale ending - in casual it does just plonk you back on the title screen"

So he's criticizing the fact that the reviewer said it swiftly brings u back to the title screen. I wonder just how grand this finale is. Perhaps the reviewer didn't care to mention it?

Vire said:
In the original review Daemon says it just plonks you back to the title screen. MEANING that he was talking about the casual ending. MEANING that he didn't actually play normal. Thus not playing the extra level.

Still inconclusive imo, he does mention that there was an ending sequence of sorts in his response but that he didn't think it was significant. He actually says that's the reason he edited it in the first place.

Vire said:
dylancuthbert Dylan Cuthbert
@
@JDFatalist the level unlocks, but it doesn't give you the big finale ending - in casual it does just plonk you back on the title screen

In the original review Daemon says it just plonks you back to the title screen. MEANING that he was only talking about the casual ending. MEANING that he didn't actually play normal. Thus not playing the extra level.

Right?
So wait now cuthbert is saying the level unlocks on casual but doesn't do the cutscene?

Top Bottom