• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN rushes through PJSideScroller, lies, is called out, removes part of review

Jintor

Amir0x said:
It's not odd to me. I was trying to tie in this recent trend freak out against the 8/10 at Eurogamer for Uncharted. It's simply that people don't like a persistent onslaught of negativity (particularly if they think it's against the 'majority view'). Since I'm pretty much universally harsh on all games across all platforms, there are fanboys and regulars that spread the gamut of perspectives that simply take such negativity so personally that most of the time they don't even read what is being written. Most of the time the kneejerk comes first, followed by a long (and generally false) assessment about how it probably wasn't really worth reading anyway. Most of the time it's these people wasting space in threads, finding it impossible to defend their own perspectives with anything longer than three words and a cough, and it's the people who actually put time into their posts with directed, pointed criticisms who are the ones who are claimed to 'derail threads' and 'troll topics.'

But, of course, these people wouldn't see it this way, it's some sort of anti-personality cult, I'm just a vacuum sucking out all their air out of topics and, like, I totally think my opinions are facts or some other comically false bullshit that they spout out to make themselves feel better about their complete inability to formulate even a single sentence in defense of anything they believe.

I find it hilarious :)

This defence is derailed a little because you do admittedly have a tendency to... well, to troll people, right?

Riposte

Hmmm, making note of Daemon Hatfield(IGN is just a collection of bodies, so w/e). That is his actual name right?

Amir0x

Banned
Fuzzy said:
We all know that will never happen. Having a review link to the profile the game was played on showing the achievements/trophies earned would be nice though.

Of course. But it'd be nice. Integrity and all that...

AlphaDragon said:
And you owned up to your mistakes unlike Douche McBag the reviewer. Seriously, he should have just came out and said "I played it on casual, my bad" and re-reviewed when they did it properly. Of course, asking IGN to do anything "properly" is asking somebody to reverse the rotation of the Earth like fucking Superman.

This is why I don't put stock in reviews period, unless it's a lot of users saying the same thing.

And they get paid to do this! And I can't imagine the game is so long they would have needed to play such an easy difficulty. This guy seems ridiculous.

dallow_bg said:
And, ahaha, I knew Ami would share his personal story. ;)

Of course, it's relevant! I, of course, didn't do anything wrong, and Dylan actually did do something wrong... but hey!

Jintor said:
This defence is derailed a little because you do admittedly have a tendency to... well, to troll people, right?

I am definitely pointed at people, but it's not trolling. I fully believe in everything I say and do not say things to get a 'rise' out of people. I say things only to try to open up people and hear what they feel about something, because so often people fail to defend their positions and get angry at those who do (especially if it's from a negative point of view).

If I could get a quarter for every time I put a huge amount of effort into my post, only to have it followed by eight to ten people who generally don't even read what was written, immediately label it a troll and do more work to derail the topic than I ever could (and also fail to contribute anything other than lame, blowjob throwaway comments) I'd be fuckin' rich

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
jackdoe said:
Is this a joke post? I mean, if the quality of the writing (or lack thereof) of the IGN Uncharted 3 review didn't raise your eyebrow, then that's just amazing.
There was writing involved in the review? I thought it was just a score.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Who was the writer?

Edit: haha, yeah, Damien. Figures.

Whoa now.
If people started asking to see stats, time-played, trophies, and any of that other nonsense. It'd be pretty obvious that the reviewer is a failure.

Amir0x

Banned
By the way, shouldn't editors be catching shit like this?

I mean, what is an editor doing but checking the validity of basic game facts and checking the quality of the writing for mistakes and grammatical errors and whatnot?

Does IGN even have an editor? Because man the quality of the writing now that we're discussing it is... wow

Sciz

Hey IGN, if you edit the content of a published article, you're supposed to say so. It's not hard, just put an editor's note in brackets and italics somewhere at the bottom. Chances are no one will actually read it and you can pat yourselves on the back for maintaining the facade of journalistic integrity.

The games industry is small. This guy should be blacklisted from events, coverage and the industry as a whole. If he still wants to stay in games, lets him write snarky press releases.

Amir0x said:

I mean, what is an editor doing but checking the validity of basic game facts and checking the quality of the writing for mistakes and grammatical errors and whatnot?

Does IGN even have an editor? Because man the quality of the writing now that we're discussing it is... wow

Most big sites are pretty much void of copy editors these days. Heck, most places in general.

Shaneus

DevelopmentArrested said:
It's IGN so... promotion?
peter-gibbons-disengaged.jpg

Takao

Banned
EvilMario said:
According to his Twitter at least, Daemon Hatfield is IGN's Senior Editor.

Can't fire yourself.

Amir0x said:

Someone should've called Konami about the Bloody Roar 5 incident a few weeks back, but no one did, instead we got a whole bunch of incredibly disappointed fans when it was shown to be a hoax.

Fact checking isn't this industry's best bet. Especially IGN, who ran "MGS: Rising is 360 exclusive, sorry Sony fans" as a sentence in their E3 2010 story about the Microsoft presser.

Zomba13

Takao said:
Can't fire yourself.
Can he give himself a promotion?

I also have to lol at this
Amir0x said:
I am definitely pointed at people, but it's not trolling. I fully believe in everything I say and do not say things to get a 'rise' out of people. I say things only to try to open up people and hear what they feel about something, because so often people fail to defend their positions and get angry at those who do (especially if it's from a negative point of view).

If I could get a quarter for every time I put a huge amount of effort into my post, only to have it followed by eight to ten people who generally don't even read what was written, immediately label it a troll and do more work to derail the topic than I ever could (and also fail to contribute anything other than lame, blowjob throwaway comments) I'd be fuckin' rich
Now I don't know or care enough about Amirox but I do remember that time not long ago when he trolled about Batman's review scores, pretending that reviews weren't harsh enough and how everything should be held up to OoT or something and ended up derailing the thread only to then go 'lolz guys. I was jokings :)'.

NewFresh

Really?

The games creator calls you out and your first reaction is to just erase your mistake?

I couldn't care less about IGN or their reviews, but trying to slip one past like that is shameful.

fernoca

Amir0x said:

But for that, I guess the editor also has to play the game and in most of this cases, only the reviewer plays it.

Last week, IGN made a "Review Preview" about Skylanders; Daemon (now I know it was him) and another guy (was with blue hair and playing the game) were playing the console version. When Daemon asks how those it (the portal/figures) work on the 3DS; the other guy says that the 3DS version uses AR Cards ; which is just a lie. Not only showing that the guy apparently doing the review hasn't played the 3DS version (or even seen it), but the other guy (Daemon) didn't knew about it (hence why he asked); and neither anyone else since they allowed the video to be posted with that part.

Even when it's something that can be verified by doing a quick search on Google or YouTube.

Vire

Disgraceful, can't believe people were overjoyed when they saw the Uncharted review.

What a joke of a site.

I don't even care that he played on Casual - it's that he lied about it and tried to cover it up afterwords.

Riposte

freddy said:
Eh, it's Daemon Hatfield. Complete hack and an immature prick as well.

I would love to get some history of him. Is he freelance?

Anyway, I think simply attacking IGN dumbs down the conversation. It is more interesting if we look at individual writers, whatever that says about IGN's editors. I've sort of grown out of "OMG IGNorant GAVE GOD HAND A 3!!", considering plenty of people who wrote for IGN are way more talented than the guy who wrote that review and might even like God Hand.

EDIT: Senior Editor?!

hahaha. Alright... you can make fun of IGN.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Taking responsibility "only after getting caught" is such a very funny thing isn't it?

For IGN, this is just pathetic on so many levels.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Riposte said:
I would love to get some history of him. Is he freelance?

Anyway, I think simply attacking IGN dumbs down the conversation. It is more interesting if we look at individual writers, whatever that says about IGN's editors. I've sort of grown out of "OMG IGNorant GAVE GOD HAND A 3!!", considering plenty of people who wrote for IGN are way more talented then the guy who wrote that review and might even like God Hand.

http://stars.ign.com/objects/962/962781.html

GLtPm.jpg

Daemon Hatfield Profile said:
Daemon Hatfield is the Senior Editor at IGN.com.
Daemon grew up in Kansas, where his tolerance for questions like "Where’s Toto?" and "Shot any McCoys lately?" fell quickly. An athletically awkward child, his talents were to be put to use guiding ninja through outer space over countless afternoons with his Atari 2600, NES, Turbo-Grafx 16, and just about every other console since. Along with videogames, Daemon also realized at an early age he had a knack for writing music and acting, and was heavily involved in both activities throughout school.

In 2001, Daemon graduated from the University of Kansas with degrees in music and theatre. His travels took him to Chicago (now his favorite city) where he was an active member of the sketch comedy group New Batch of Genes, wrote musical scores for dozens of plays and short films, and performed as the mostly one-man rock outfit Monster-0.

Then came the fateful day he was surfing his favorite Website, IGN, and noticed an opening for a news editor position. Daemon made the trek out to San Francisco, and the rest is mostly the stuff of legend. His Game Scoop! podcast has been a global phenomenon largely credited with ending world hunger. He continues to compose for theatre and film, and his musical exploits can be tracked at Monster-0’s official Site.

Favorite Games: Rival Schools, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong Jr.
Favorite Bands: Boards of Canada, Tech N9ne, Kid Koala
Favorite Movies: Fight Club, The Thing, Straw Dogs

I think this whole thing is dishonest and is another reason to not trust reviewers completely. However, I don't think this unlockable end mission would've drastically changed the reviewers mind or score. I mean I'm sure a lot of reviewers only got the 60/242 stars in SMG2 just to hurry up and finish the game, I also doubt reviewers played through all the sidestuff in Red Dead Redemption or Batman Arkham City. That's what comes when they have a limited amount of time before they have to finish the game and complete it. I think some games would be viewed in a different light if reviewers got the chance to play the side missions and all of the extra content. Not defending the lack of integrity displayed here. I just don't think the score would've been drastically different had he played on normal.

Top Bottom