• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can be sure analog + clic triggers are going to be there due to the Gamecube Virtual Console compatibility. They're not going to make you buy YET another controller aside for it, it's already bad enough in the Wii without the tablet. They cannot afford fucking anything up, and they're surely going to get a lot of trouble from the beginning with the non-plus wii remotes.

Sure they can, Nintendo has a lot of money.
lol

Linkhero1

So just a question.

Is it safe to say that Nintendo has been kind of lazy with creating good D-Pads on controllers?

I'm talking systems like GameCube, 3DS, and some of their other controllers. Like the Wii remote's dpad being way too small.

Which is strange because Nintendo use to be the kings of making good Dpads.

It's bothered me so much with the 3DS. I don't touch the Dpad at all. The wiimote and CCPro, however, have excellent dpads.

NG3 is Britta?

NG3 is the videogame version of tennis elbow. It makes you question why you're still playing these things when you can be doing something fun. It's time and money you will NEVER get back in your short, insignificant life. It makes Other M look like Metroid Zero Mission.

It's bad, it's what I'm saying, and if you buy it, you'll feel bad, too.

Yeah, so glad they have a new character designer. And it looks like a lot of fun. Thanks to Tekken's appearance at E3 2011, I think a lot of fighting games are gonna make the transition, like the Capcom fighters (first console versions in 1080p), perhaps the new Darkstalkers, Mortal Kombat (they'll need to recover the investment from the totally abysmal Vita port).... but what I'm really looking forward to is Virtua Fighter 6. Make it happen, Sega.

YES to VF6. YES! YES! YES!

I really like the guide on the touchscreen idea for these types of games.

MisterHero

So I wonder if Wii U can download full games, maybe you can have installs too. I'd hate for a game to need it, but it could be there.

External harddrives are compatible right?

Nilaul

This is a bit offtopic but Google thinks that Nintendo Will steal the show!
(this is no flame bait : just an interesting thing on Google, reported originally on that go banned Nintendo Site)

EqlEh.jpg

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So I wonder if Wii U can download full games, maybe you can have installs too. I'd hate for a game to need it, but it could be there.

This is what was said at E3 2011 anyway:

The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.

So, yeah. Having a 1 TB drive connected to Wii U should solve all worries of running out of storage. Of course there are SD cards exceeding 128 GB, so that's a good solution as well. Though information on whether all brands will be available for use with Wii u is not made public.

BY2K

Membero Americo
This is a bit offtopic but Google thinks that Nintendo Will steal the show!
(this is no flame bait : just an interesting thing on Google, reported originally on that go banned Nintendo Site)

EqlEh.jpg

"Nintendo steals Sony" is also there.

beje

Banned

There's no reason for installs (or at least not nearly the full game) if they use a 8x drive, which I think is already the standard in home BD readers and 4 times quicker than the PS3 drive. That's also the reason why I think there's no need for huge HDDs (or an HDD SKU) unless's you're going to get a lot of stuff from the eshop (or whatever they name it). Yes, it's compatible with external drives, USB thumb drives and SD cards.

Terrell

Nintendo going against what has been set forth as a relative standard doesn't exactly inspire confidence that they are out to capture the "hardcore" Western market now, as they have purported.

As I said, we have games already announced for WiiU that have used click sticks for essential functions. If it were as big a problem as suggested, those games wouldn't be there.

Whats so special about anolog triggers and everything?

.... really? Think "gas pedal".

Hey guys, sorry if this has already been discussed to death, but I was looking back over Iwata's explanation of the retail/ digital approach they are taking, and I kept coming to the same confusing conclusion.

Iwata says that the wholesale price to retailers will not be the same for packaged and digital content. He states that digital content is a less risky proposition than buying a large shipment of boxed copies. Yet, he also says something to the effect that the price of each will reflect the inherent risk level to the retailer. Doesn't it therefore follow that Nintendo intend to charge more for the low risk option than the high risk option? If risk is a big factor for retailers, it certainly wouldn't make sense for them to spend more money for higher risk.

So, does this not indicate that retailers will have to pay more per digital copy than per physical copy?

Shurayuki

^ It's weird right? Confused me a bit too, but in the last question he also talks about how they went to many companies and asked them what they thought about what the price of DD titles should be, the results being a split between "should be cheap" and "should be the same". Then he goes on to say that Nintendo kinda went with the "same price" concept soo~ (wait bullshit, he said that earlier sorry x.x)
gonna have a look myself too I guess *sniff*
He even says there appears to be a misunderstanding, if even the investors don't get it...>_>

.... really? Think "gas pedal".

If you don't like racing or flying games most people probably won't be very impressed by analog anything, but of course it's nice to have.
If not for factor5 I might've never cared about GC's analog triggers.

(why they never put shooting in soccer games on a trigger beats me)

Analog power button.

Actually that reminds me, what happened to the power button slider thing on the DS lite? I love that thing. It would work perfectly on 3DS. Hold it up to turn it off, and just push it up to go into sleep mode.

I never knew that, I just shut the DS to put it into sleep mode, but I suppose it could confuse people(I still don't really know if I'm turning my PSP off because of similar functionality on its power slider).

Whats so special about anolog triggers and everything?

They are a must for driving games.

NG3 is the videogame version of tennis elbow. It makes you question why you're still playing these things when you can be doing something fun. It's time and money you will NEVER get back in your short, insignificant life. It makes Other M look like Metroid Zero Mission.

It's bad, it's what I'm saying, and if you buy it, you'll feel bad, too.

Hey, Other M is one of only a few games I've played to completion this gen. The game mechanics are sound... story and game progression are completely subjective. NG3 appears to be broken from a mechanics standpoint. Other M was brave, and for the most part, played very well.

I never knew that, I just shut the DS to put it into sleep mode, but I suppose it could confuse people(I still don't really know if I'm turning my PSP off because of similar functionality on its power slider).

Well for some reason the Lite didn't use that for a sleep mode, just to turn it off. But now that the 3DS has an actual sleep mode when you tap the power button, why not bring back the slider?

Pressure sensitive?

Exactly.

BlackJace

Can someone explain to me how haptics can add to a better experience with the controller?

It seems like a good thing to have, but not necessarily something to ask for.

Thraktor

Ok, I've been trying not to respond to the controller talk, but I just have to nip this in the bud.

Well, I'm talking about clickable sticks, analog sticks, and a really, really stupid button cluster/d-pad location.

You may not like the button placement, but stupid is one thing it's definitely not.

I haven't used the Wii U pad, so I can't speak for how it feels in the hands, but I think I have a fair idea why the pad is the way it is, and in particular why they changed it from the earlier design.

First things first, the controller is built around the touchscreen. This may seem obvious, but you have to keep in mind that use of the touchscreen is paramount in every decision Nintendo make with the controller. If Nintendo goes with the traditional stick/button arrangement (with the secondary sticks/buttons at a ~45º angle down and in from the main sticks/buttons) that pushes the the default thumb position away from the touchscreen, and hence makes it more awkward to get to the touchscreen quickly. Nintendo want to make it as quick and easy as possible to move your thumb across to the touchscreen, so the slide pads are right next to the screen.

In order to do this, of course, they've had to move the d-pad and buttons directly below the slide pads. Here's the important thing, though, unlike on traditional controllers, you don't twist your thumbs down to the d-pad/buttons, you slide your hands down. This is why they got rid of the contours on the back of the pad, they would have made it awkward to slide down that little bit. It's also why the controller is so tall, to make sure there's enough grip when your hands are in the lower positions. In addition, while your hand is in this lower position, you still have the touchscreen in easy reach.

On the choice of slide pads, the reasoning is likely exactly the same, the slide pads are flatter than analog sticks, so make it easier to reach across to the touchscreen. Personally I have absolutely no problem with slide pads, after having used the 3DS one quite a bit. The only two complaints that could be leveled at that (not enough travel and insufficient grip) both seem to have been addressed on the Wii U pad. Clickable sticks are something I'm glad to be rid of, they're an incredibly awkward input method, and anyone who can't design a decent FPS control scheme with two slide pads, 12 buttons and a touch screen doesn't deserve to call themselves a designer.

The one feature I will say they're in need of adding is analog triggers, which hopefully we'll see in the E3 version.

Oh, were you talking about the OG DS?

I R confused.

The DS lite had the slider, but it didn't use it to activate a sleep mode. It only would turn it off and on. You had to hold it up for a second to do so.

The 3DS has the button that if you tap it, it goes into sleep mode. When you hold it, it goes off. I wish the 3DS had the slider to do that instead of a button.

test_account

XP-39C²
But those were all right.
Probably. I'm sure that everyone steals ideas and gets inspired from somewhere. Everyone cant be first with everything :)

Can someone explain to me how haptics can add to a better experience with the controller?

It seems like a good thing to have, but not necessarily something to ask for.
I think that a haptic screen could be a very good use for people who are blind. But for others it is more of a cool gimmick from what i know.

I R confused.

The DS lite had the slider, but it didn't use it to activate a sleep mode. It only would turn it off and on. You had to hold it up for a second to do so.

The 3DS has the button that if you tap it, it goes into sleep mode. When you hold it, it goes off. I wish the 3DS had the slider to do that instead of a button.

I thought you originally meant the DS Lite could use the slider to enter sleep mode(but you just meant the DS Lite had a slider which you want for the 3DS).

I think that a haptic screen could be a very good use for people who are blind. But for others it is more of a cool gimmick from what i know.

I dunno, I think that being able to tell where a "button" is on the touchscreen without looking is more than a gimmick(pity it won't happen though).

Oppo

Ok, I've been trying not to respond to the controller talk, but I just have to nip this in the bud.
things first, the controller is built around the touchscreen. This may seem obvious, but you have to keep in mind that use of the touchscreen is paramount in every decision Nintendo make with the controller. If Nintendo goes with the traditional stick/button arrangement (with the secondary sticks/buttons at a ~45º angle down and in from the main sticks/buttons) that pushes the the default thumb position away from the touchscreen, and hence makes it more awkward to get to the touchscreen quickly. Nintendo want to make it as quick and easy as possible to move your thumb across to the touchscreen, so the slide pads are right next to the screen.

In order to do this, of course, they've had to move the d-pad and buttons directly below the slide pads. Here's the important thing, though, unlike on traditional controllers, you don't twist your thumbs down to the d-pad/buttons, you slide your hands down. This is why they got rid of the contours on the back of the pad, they would have made it awkward to slide down that little bit. It's also why the controller is so tall, to make sure there's enough grip when your hands are in the lower positions. In addition, while your hand is in this lower position, you still have the touchscreen in easy reach.

On the choice of slide pads, the reasoning is likely exactly the same, the slide pads are flatter than analog sticks, so make it easier to reach across to the touchscreen. Personally I have absolutely no problem with slide pads, after having used the 3DS one quite a bit. The only two complaints that could be leveled at that (not enough travel and insufficient grip) both seem to have been addressed on the Wii U pad. Clickable sticks are something I'm glad to be rid of, they're an incredibly awkward input method, and anyone who can't design a decent FPS control scheme with two slide pads, 12 buttons and a touch screen doesn't deserve to call themselves a designer.
Too bad the Vita design invalidates all of this reasoning. With the exception of clickable sticks.

Pretty sure a company that makes haptic feedback technology is sharing a booth with Nintendo or has one near Nintendo during E3 or something along those lines. I can't remember specifically. I'm sure there's someone here who has a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

Could just be coincidence, though.

It was mentioned on this thread that a haptic company had products listed for Wii U on the E3 website...

...but after a deeper look it turned out they had product listed for pretty much every bit of gaming hardware available....so it wasn't anything exclusively made for Nintendo or Wii U.

That company also used a different kind of feedback. They basically (warning: gross analogy) employed a whole bunch of really tiny rumble packs, so you get locational rumble. This is okay, I guess, but what some have been gushing about when the word "haptics" is uttered has been electrostatic haptics, where a layer in front of the LCD emits an electrical charge that causes pressure at any pixel location or locations against your finger, so it feels like what you're touching isn't flat.

Why is there any reason to believe the Wii U will have haptic feedback?

The technology is new enough to seem really exciting and also new enough that we haven't really seen it in the wild yet, much less in gaming devices.

Basically, Senseg's style of haptics had their unveiling when the Wii U had its unveiling (last June), and people picked up on the similarity in timing, since the two would seem to fit well together. That's essentially it -- there has been no actual leak or solid rumour to suggest that the Wii U really will have this feature.

Here's the important thing, though, unlike on traditional controllers, you don't twist your thumbs down to the d-pad/buttons, you slide your hands down. This is why they got rid of the contours on the back of the pad, they would have made it awkward to slide down that little bit.

Please, I don't want to be offensive, this is a civil discussion, but...do you realize how this sounds?

They scrapped the old design where your thumb would naturally move in an arc, to redesign the controller to not move your thumbs into a new position at all, but to slide your entire hands up and down the controller every time you transition from the analogs to the buttons/d-pad and vice versa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom