• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Sanctuary

Doesn't work with your regular bow attacks, so not really.

It actually does work with regular bow attacks. It's the first thing I tested with it before committing. You can easily do this yourself. Use any bow skill and it will show you the range of the attack. Then use force attack and you'll see that they share the same distance. I mean, I've done plenty off absolute max range attacks for Ballistic Shot, and a normal attack would reach after too. Maybe this is just crossbow specific, but I kind of doubt it.

It just hit me that the spirit talking, corpse eating, and pet pal conversations are a better take on Pillars of Eternity's "backer" NPCs.

For those unaware, each of PoE's backer NPCs were a reward tier that was an NPC and their own little story, randomly placed in the world. They felt terribly out of place (with special gold-plated names), and a lot of the actual stories were kinda dry. Abstracting it a bit by making the tales someone's memory (or just a really unique character) makes the story being told a lot more engaging, and vastly more immersive.

DOS2's writing in general has continually impressed me, Like, I'm in early Act 2 but I think Larian's writing team is now on par with the best; every conversation just feels smart, sharp, and right. Which is doubly impressive because of how open a player's actions, appearance, and personality can be. I'm hoping it keeps up like this for the rest of the game.
Man the music on ship at the beginning of Act 2 before landing in Driftwood is just.....wow.

There's this creepy theme in a cave in Act 1 that is just fantastic. I really need to find out its name.

Ryzaki009

Don't listen to this advice.

This that's pretty awful advice. You want to split your damage but you ideally want all of your people to have both. Give your phys character some magical skills and give your mage some necromancer skills so they can damage armor. It's so much faster when everyone can focus the same armor type.

But if you do something like go all physical you literally will not be able to progress through certain parts in the game that require you to destroy magical armor.

Question about the beginning of Act 2:

Where did Alexander and the Taiwen or whatever his name was (the dude Dallis had captured in her cabin) get to after you leave the Hall of Echoes? They seem to have disappeared.

Ryzaki009

Question about the beginning of Act 2:

Where did Alexander and the Taiwen or whatever his name was (the dude Dallis had captured in her cabin) get to after you leave the Hall of Echoes? They seem to have disappeared.

It's revealed in act 3 but basically they've been trying to get him divinity so you meet him afterwards in the next island.

Aaaaaaaand I think I got that memory leak issue in fort joy. My game randomly crashed and has crashed twice today once in the fort near Griff and once again in a dungeon in act 1.

It's revealed in act 3 but basically they've been trying to get him divinity so you meet him afterwards in the next island.

Thanks. Seemed odd that there was no mention of it

Aaaaaaaand I think I got that memory leak issue in fort joy. My game randomly crashed and has crashed twice today once in the fort near Griff and once again in a dungeon in act 1.

Have you patched your game? They released a hotfix for that on Sunday.

Man fuck the
Mordus
fight. I should probably go back to the ship and respec. think i have to many jack of all trades master of none characters cuz they all get taken down so easily except for my red prince tank.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
When in the hell do you get a civil ability point? I've taken my scoundrel up to level 5 and he still hasn't gotten a single one and I can't give him thievery. It's driving me crazy.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
When in the hell do you get a civil ability point? I've taken my scoundrel up to level 5 and he still hasn't gotten a single one and I can't give him thievery. It's driving me crazy.

Every four levels, once you hit level 2. So 6 then 10 for your next two points.

I'm wrapping up Act 2, so Act 2 spoilers, but I seem to have 2 problems I'm not sure is a bug or I might some mistakes.

Regarding Tarquin
Apparently he had quest I never got for seeking out both halves of some sword. I got both halves but can't seem to combine it myself, tried the Ancient Forge on Bloodmoon Isle. He's still on the ship but has no dialogue options for me to bring it up.
Does the quest open up in Act 3 if you haven't done it in Act 2?

Regarding Gareth
I persuaded him to go full on revenge mode and already did his quest in giving him Jonathan's Ring from the Blackpits. Now I'm about to leave but he's not on the ship and Malady said he's still doing stuff with his parents. Checked his parents' place and he's not there anymore. Did I lose out on him?

Edit: Regarding Gareth problem was fixed, not sure about Tarquin yet. But as for Gareth
confirmed on Reddit he just ditched Reaper's Coast entirely and made off for Nameless Isle

goblin

I'm wrapping up Act 2, so Act 2 spoilers, but I seem to have 2 problems I'm not sure is a bug or I might some mistakes.

Regarding Tarquin
Apparently he had quest I never got for seeking out both halves of some sword. I got both halves but can't seem to combine it myself, tried the Ancient Forge on Bloodmoon Isle. He's still on the ship but has no dialogue options for me to bring it up.
Does the quest open up in Act 3 if you haven't done it in Act

At the end of Act 2 and just ran into this exact problem myself. Nothing I've tried gets the quest ("All In The Family") to trigger, and there are multiple reports on the Larian forums and Steam about the triggers for this quest's activation and turn-in being broken in a bunch of different ways that make it impossible to complete for some people. Since it's broken for all of my Act 2 saves across 10+ hours, I just tossed the items into storage and decided to move on to Act 3, damn the consequences.

I highly recommend you don't do what I did and avoid searching for terms related to the quest to see if anyone's figured out a fix because nobody has and it's easy to run into massive, late-game story spoilers.

MikeBison

So I definitely won't be out of act 1 until like 20 hours. At 18 now and have a few things to tie up before I go for
gareth

This is crazy. I'm never like this. I've never had a problem 'leaving the Hinterlands'

At the end of Act 2 and just ran into this exact problem myself. Nothing I've tried gets the quest ("All In The Family") to trigger, and there are multiple reports on the Larian forums and Steam about the triggers for this quest's activation and turn-in being broken in a bunch of different ways that make it impossible to complete for some people. Since it's broken for all of my Act 2 saves across 10+ hours, I just tossed the items into storage and decided to move on to Act 3, damn the consequences.

I highly recommend you don't do what I did and avoid searching for terms related to the quest to see if anyone's figured out a fix because nobody has and it's easy to run into massive, late-game story spoilers.

Ah that's a shame, quest bugs sucks. Hopefully it'll be patched by the time I start my second playthrough.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Asking again- how can you see the actual number of physical armor and magic armor on enemies and your characters?

So in the Arena, to go into the fight with my co-op friends, I have to say "Yes I would like to go into combat with all my companions even ones from sovereign realms." As opposed to "Yes, I would like to go into combat with my nearby allies."

This is not intuitive. Or clever writing. It's just dumb. I know I'm playing a game. Forcing me to make a stupid choice because your writing is incomprehensible about the function it provides breaks my immersion more than putting a Yes/No menu.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
What causes your attacks to heal the enemy? Every time I use Staff of Magus on someone it heals them instead of doing damage.

I killed him in one turn.

My hunter is a killing machine.

Damn really? what level were you? Im level 10 right now.

So you didnt even get to experience the most frustrating part about this guy. If you kill his lackeys or one of your party members dies he steals a source point from their corpse and then turns into a giant fucking voiddemon that triples his health and refills his shields, makes him immune to teleportation, and seems to have unlimited action points. Its brutal.

So you didnt even get to experience the most frustrating part about this guy. If you kill his lackeys or one of your party members dies he steals a source point from their corpse and then turns into a giant fucking voiddemon that triples his health and refills his shields, makes him immune to teleportation, and seems to have unlimited action points. Its brutal.

I had that happen to me on my first try I think I was lvl 12 or 13 (I went east and did the Graveyard stuff after Driftwood). Essentially I just made sure to permanently CC him so he wouldn't transform.

Where do you find Tarquin inAct 2?

Sanctuary

Have you patched your game? They released a hotfix for that on Sunday.

I just had to move my newer gaming PC to my desktop to try to play this. Everything was flawless on my nine year old PC (which had zero issues with last gen and essentially every non AAA game with an i5@4.0Ghz, 8GB ram and a 780 GTX) until Act 2. I don't know if it's just some kind of random save bloat (hello Skyrim) and memory leak issue, but it's using a ridiculous amount of system ram now and crashing during every protracted encounter. Especially if there are more than a few ground effects.

If my three year old, 16GB/1080 GTX PC can't handle this game without the same issues, then it's an issue with the game. It already seems to be anyway though.

I killed him in one turn.

My hunter is a killing machine.

Nah man. According to Nedistgaming, Ranger damage "is mediocre" and they lack any real damage without having the high ground. Funny how mine did way more damage than anyone else until midway through Act 2. It helps that crossbows are so powerful, they barely have to move at all and when they do, it's with a very early Huntsman skill that moves them about anywhere. Oh, and then there's Flight too. Dual Wielding takes a lot longer to get good, and it's especially hard trying to find two really good weapons that are similar in power compared to the plethora of bows in this game. Mobility is a factor too for melee. There are mobility skills, but it takes a while longer to reach the good ones unless you're using Polymorph. Two-handed damage is just...bleh. Maybe it shines in Act 3, but it's been trash so far.

Wadiwasi

Banned
Makes it worse that every fucking single mob that has a healing spell instantly uses it oon Fane for a huge nuke.

I've been thinking of ways they could try and make this to be a little more fair. If an undead looks undead (w/o the mask) then they are S.O.L., but if they have a mask that lets them look like another race then a new set of enemy behavior would kick in. I think if they made it so that bosses and some "named" enemies had enough power or whatnot, they would be able to tell he was undead (regardless of having a mask on) then they could blast him right away if they had healing....otherwise other regular enemies would have to see a characteristic of undead before nuking him.

So say a boss has healing spells and the fight starts (mask on): If the boss has 3 lackeys, none of them would use healing on an undead character until the boss did OR until a characteristic of an undead character was shown in battle (ie; poison healing him, using play dead, etc;).

I think that would be a good compromise, it wouldn't stop you from getting heal bombed but delay it to make it seem like the system was more intelligent.

goblin

Where do you find Tarquin inAct 2?

As I understand it, the way it's supposed to work is:
You start Act 2 and Tarquin is MIA from your ship, then you meet him at the northern entrance of Stonegarden and he gives you a quest (which is supposed to be a soft requirement for finishing Act 2).

However, it's possible for you to advance other quests past the point where he's supposed to meet you at Stonegarden, and then he'll magically appear on your ship again and his quest is broken for you.

Sorry, I meant using a controller.

Press X on the controller and select Examine.

You start Act 2 and Tarquin is MIA from your ship, then you meet him at the northern entrance of Stonegarden and he gives you a quest (which is supposed to be a soft requirement for finishing Act 2).

However, it's possible for you to advance other quests past the point where he's supposed to meet you at Stonegarden, and then he'll magically appear on your ship again and his quest is broken for you.

Thanks!

What causes your attacks to heal the enemy? Every time I use Staff of Magus on someone it heals them instead of doing damage.

Examine enemies, any resist over 100% will heal for the amount over 100%. Undeads have 200% poison resist usually, elementals have resist of their particular element and so on. You need at least 1pt loremaster on any of your character to see resists though, definitely worth having 1pt, or just have someone maxing it for identifying gear too, show a bit more stats from examine also like their immunities.

Level 11. Tbh, I think it was a second turn when he's actually dead.

Just focus on him. His physical armor is thin so he's easily disabled early on. His lackeys are too far away as well to support him so I focus everything on him. He couldn't really do anything as he's already knocked down in the first turn. After he's dead, the battle is over so you don't really have to deal with the rest.

Gattsu25

Banned
Asking again- how can you see the actual number of physical armor and magic armor on enemies and your characters?

If you're using mouse controls then you can mouse over any NPC (including other people in your party) to see those numbers. For your own just mouse over your character's portrait in the top left of the screen.

Examine the enemy to see what their resistance to elements are. One example: Undead will have a 200% resistance to Poison.

Any value above 100% begins to heal.

So in the case of Undead (who have a 200% resistance to poison) they will get healed for whatever damage you would normally cause (e.g. 90 poison damage will heal them for 90 hp).

If an enemy had 150% resistance to fire, using a fire attack against that enemy would heal them at 50% of whatever the damage would have been.

Afrodium

Banned
I really dig the overall quest design of this game, in that multiple side-quests tend to funnel into the next major story beat. It simulates a D&D game, in that the dungeon master always has some dungeon they intended to get to that night, and will often find a way to divert whatever side-activities the party gets into towards the campaign.

Of course, being a video game there's incentive to stop yourself from taking the action that the game wants you to do next in order to try the other quests with the same end result, but I get the impression that you could generally take on whatever quests you wanted with the game naturally funneling you towards the main story. I think I'm nearing the end of Act 1 though so I'm still early. This could change once the game opens up more.

I really dig the overall quest design of this game, in that multiple side-quests tend to funnel into the next major story beat. It simulates a D&D game, in that the dungeon master always has some dungeon they intended to get to that night, and will often find a way to divert whatever side-activities the party gets into towards the campaign.

Of course, being a video game there's incentive to stop yourself from taking the action that the game wants you to do next in order to try the other quests with the same end result, but I get the impression that you could generally take on whatever quests you wanted with the game naturally funneling you towards the main story. I think I'm nearing the end of Act 1 though so I'm still early. This could change once the game opens up more.

Yeah, it's amazing how many directions you get to (Act 1 Spoilers)
The Seeker's lair. They accounted for you coming at it from any and all directions no matter what your inclination may have been.

robertoci

Really enjoying the game so far but starting to have performance problems the further I go.

I keep getting a really stuttery camera when panning around, especially in towns, it's hard to describe because the game is running at 60fps otherwise.

Didn't have this problem when first starting the game so i'm thinking it could be to do with the save game filesize?

It's not gamebreaking it's just that I hate stutter, it really throws me out of the game when it does occur :(

Running with all settings at maximum on a GTX970

It's insane how many factions are here in this competition for Divinity (up to Act 3 intro, so spoilers), so far we have...

- Us, the main party
- Other random Godwoken
- Black Ring
- Alexander + Magisters
- Dallis + White Magisters

I think this game is 3 Acts yeah? I'm looking forward/excited to how this can conclude.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the resist info guys. I just finished act 1, I think I missed some stuff but in not a completionist so I've moved into act 2. I'm very surprised I'm still playing honestly, this isn't my normal type of game but I tend to spend a few hours with it of an evening when my friends are done with PUBG and sleeping, it's quite relaxing.

wamberz1

How bad is using too many Resurrection scrolls gonna bit me back in the future?

Only have 1 right now and they're crazy expensive. Maybe I should restart?

Also, is there any way to resurrect without a scroll?

UberLevi

What if I
killed him upon meeting him in the Master Cabin?

How bad is using too many Resurrection scrolls gonna bit me back in the future?

Only have 1 right now and they're crazy expensive. Maybe I should restart?

Also, is there any way to resurrect without a scroll?

No there is not. You should stock up on resurrection scrolls regardless. You'll make more money as the game progresses (specifically Act 2, though Act 1 you can get fairly rich by stealing shit) and resurrection scrolls will still retain the same price for you to buy them with ease.

Act 1 I'd recommend having some for the boss fight though (had to use 3 of them myself).

Sanctuary

Does anyone know why sometimes the turn of a party member simply gets skipped? I had Flesh Sacrifice up on my player character, and the turn order was Fane > Enemy > PC. Fane cast Haste on my PC, the enemy turn happened and then my PC got entirely skipped and ended up at the end of the queue. It wasn't an accidental space bar press, and this has happened more than a few times through my playthrough.

Top Bottom