• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 demo is now live for Xbox One and W10

Gek54

Anyone else getting a maximum of 90 degrees of rotation when using a wheel? (looking at the driver's hands and the front wheels when in external cam)

My TX wheel in game settings are set to the maximum 900 degrees but the Porsche tires stop turning after a 3/4th of a turn, a little more than 540 degrees total. I wonder if the true steering rotation on the Porsche is about 540 degrees. Hopefully that is the case and we will get accurate steering rotation when switching between cars. Driving an F1 car in 900 degree mode was awful in FM6.

The truck and the GT-R seemed to use only 630 degrees of rotation.

MaLDo

People with good rigs with nvidia gpu and stutters mid race try this:

In Forza 7 profile:

1. be sure the demo exe is included in the exes list (microsoft.forzamotorsport7demo_xxxxxxx)
2. maximum pre-rendered frames = 3
3. Vertical Sync = Fast Sync
4. 0x001208CB = 0x00000010
5. 0x00DE5C4D = 0x00000001

1, 4 and 5 was not there for 385.28 drivers. Maybe are there in newest drivers.

In the game, set framerate target in 60 fps (vsync).

Using task manager or process Lasso (this one to avoid having to do it every time because allows to save settings per process), set forzamotorsport7.exe to high priority and disable the additional virtual core for every core in affinity. I mean, if you have an i7 with 4 real cores:

0 enabled
1 disabled
2 enabled
3 disabled
4 enabled
5 disabled
6 enabled
7 disabled

For me, this setup is near perfection. Using last RTSS beta with a 60 fps lock, improves a bit the framepacing, but can produce a bit of judder in the loading/streaming places of tracks.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Getting zero problems in-game but little stuttering on menus. 4k 60 is easy with MSAA 4x (i7 2600 @3.9 + GTX 1060 6GB + 16GB ddr3 1600), but the porsche physics are very weird, and only 90º degrees of steering rotation? :/

m29a

Neo Member
So after reading about how bad it was for some people, after testing, it runs great on my system (2500k oc'd 4.2ghz / 1070). Smooth 60fps with rare dips. All highest settings except for MSAA only at 2x (game still looks amazing). The menus do stutter at times though.

Hawk269

Is the HDR slider broken for anyone else? In Forza Horizon 3, the slider work perfect on both my Sony 940d and my LG E7. But in this demo, moving the slider to where the logo should disappear it never does no matter what and that is on 2 different 4k/HDR TV's.

MaLDo

So after reading about how bad it was for some people, after testing, it runs great on my system (2500k oc'd 4.2ghz / 1070). Smooth 60fps with rare dips. All highest settings except for MSAA only at 2x (game still looks amazing). The menus do stutter at times though.

As always is about people thresholds. For a 2 laps race, one or two hitches to 59 fps are something acceptable, even need not comment for some people. For me is totally unbearable. So smooth 60fps with rare dips could be a contradiction for someone like me.

You have to take account of different standards when reading different points of view about performance in gaming. There are people who even talk about smooth framerate in 30 fps games :p

scitek

I got the crash to desktop at first. Closed RTSS, the game started. Then I reopened RTSS and it was fine.

Windows 10 64-bit Creator's Update
GTX 1080 w/ driver 385.41
i7 7700K @ 4.7GHz
16GB DDR4 RAM
512GB SSD

Game ran at a near-perfect 4K/60fps during the Nissan race with one hitch that I saw. I had every setting set to max, including MSAA, and scaling at 100%. I'm very happy to see HDR support! Now there's really no excuse for Gears 4 not supporting it! :mad: Anyway, from the little anecdotal evidence I've been presented, good job Turn10.

Gek54

I really hope they don't mess with the force feedback, I got wheel settings dialed in and the feel of the Porsche is sublime.

Turn10 are the Gods of Go.

HeliosT10

Getting zero problems in-game but little stuttering on menus. 4k 60 is easy with MSAA 4x (i7 2600 @3.9 + GTX 1060 6GB + 16GB ddr3 1600), but the porsche physics are very weird, and only 90º degrees of steering rotation? :/

We've noticed that some players are experiencing performance stutters with G-Sync and high refresh rate monitors. If you are experiencing this, try disabling G-Sync, setting your monitor refresh rate to 60Hz, and using the V-sync enabled option in game. These performance issues will be fixed in a future update.

We've noticed that some players are experiencing performance stutters with G-Sync and high refresh rate monitors. If you are experiencing this, try disabling G-Sync, setting your monitor refresh rate to 60Hz, and using the V-sync enabled option in game. These performance issues will be fixed in a future update.

Hey Helios, is there anything known about models not reaching their highest quality on PC? The cars load up in XB1 quality for me which is a one step lower than PC's max, but for others it's fine.

HeliosT10

Hey Helios, is there anything known about models not reaching their highest quality on PC? The cars load up in XB1 quality for me which is a one step lower than PC's max, but for others it's fine.

Can you post some screens so i can see the issue? Along with your gfx settings please.

Yeah sorry for the confusion.

I am on the fall update insider build with the newest nvidia drivers (not on nvidia.com) but I did not intend to give the impression that this was a requirement for HDR to work (although I will note it did fix Mass Effect: Andromeda's HDR for me).

The only necessity appears to be to toggle HDR on within Windows 10 before starting the game. The desktop will look like shit when you do this but the game will look normal.

No worries at all. Just trying to narrow down root causes.

Interesting that it fixed your issue for mass effect Andromeda. I understood the last update for the game broke hdr but maybe just on older driver versions.

Yikes this is all a mess. I know hdr is early times in general but esp on pc. Still

Currently don't have my monitor hooked up but it is on my TV at 60hz. Damn thing is stuttering all over in menus and sometimes pauses for 10 seconds of so during a race. My main pc is down at the moment but it is installed on a 2400 i5, 8gb, 1070 and ssd.

Even FH3 on launch didn't run this bad in general.

And what's up with the 911?

Managed to get a pretty decent 60fps, just the odd flutter to 58fps, no jarring mass drops. With X58 platform OC is tied to ram speed, this game seems very dependant on ram speed hence we see DDR4 doing well on a small dual core even. I upped mine with a new baseclock. I feel a lot could be done by the devs to improve things. We have people on ivy bridge having issues.
GT4c.jpg

Menus are still horrid however. Seems most are reporting that? Hope they aren't representative of the final game.

Edit: Thanks dr_rus for the MSI beta links before, I forgot to thank you.

Managed to get a pretty decent 60fps, just the odd flutter to 58fps, no jarring mass drops. With X58 platform OC is tied to ram speed, this game seems very dependant on ram speed hence we see DDR4 doing well on a small dual core even. I upped mine with a new baseclock.
GT4c.jpg

Menus are still horrid however. Seems most are reporting that? Hope they aren't representative of the final game.

Being this close to release I hope this isn't close to the final product.

Momentary

Banned
People with good rigs with nvidia gpu and stutters mid race try this:

In Forza 7 profile:

1. be sure the demo exe is included in the exes list (microsoft.forzamotorsport7demo_xxxxxxx)
2. maximum pre-rendered frames = 3
3. Vertical Sync = Fast Sync
4. 0x001208CB = 0x00000010
5. 0x00DE5C4D = 0x00000001

1, 4 and 5 was not there for 385.28 drivers. Maybe are there in newest drivers.

In the game, set framerate target in 60 fps (vsync).

Using task manager or process Lasso (this one to avoid having to do it every time because allows to save settings per process), set forzamotorsport7.exe to high priority and disable the additional virtual core for every core in affinity. I mean, if you have an i7 with 4 real cores:

0 enabled
1 disabled
2 enabled
3 disabled
4 enabled
5 disabled
6 enabled
7 disabled

For me, this setup is near perfection. Using last RTSS beta with a 60 fps lock, improves a bit the framepacing, but can produce a bit of judder in the loading/streaming places of tracks.

Thanks for this. Tried it out and it works a hell of a lot better now. A HELL of a lot better. I'll take some footage when I get back from class tonight. So much smoother now.

We definitely are going to need a pc performance thread on release. Because if the official thread looks anything like this one it will be a clusterfuck.

Anyone else have the download on the W10 store say your DL speed is crazy high and then turn into nothing, with the download completely halting? Pulling my hair out trying to fix it.

Momentary

Banned
Uploaded a 4K video with the game running on a Titan Xp and i7 6850K.

My driving is horrible here. I turned off the UI completely, maxed out the game, used 8xMSAA and raised the rendering to 110%. Outside of the menus, the game is pretty optimized. Especially after following Maldo's instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJlkSHI-WQs

(Video is still being processed so the 4K option might not show up.

Edit: Reuploading video.

veidi

I have to say I really like the driver suits.
Its a great addition and comes in much variaety.

Next step:
Let us choose winning gestures, if there are podiums in online races =D
Also a face under the helmet would be nice. Maybe adding an character editor.
Or if there comes the new avatar system, just use their faces. I know it looks cartoony and not serious, but so does a clown suit xD
In the trailer was a scene where the driver holds his helmet in his hand, maybe a hint for that? =D
Beeing able to change single suit stuff like helmet, upper body, lower body, gloves.

I am already excited and cant wait to play this game at the end of the month =)

I know FM7 has other problems, but I think there are different teams working on different stuff, so this should no influence the hard work from the others.

Head.spawn

Hey Turn10, add performance analysis tools to the game pls.

Better yet, get someone at MS to add them to the GameMode suite of options so there is an easy to use option for UWP titles and other outside apps.

MaLDo

I think the difference between some players are others are the frequency and duration of the stutters and also their degree of sensitivity to these problems, but not their existence. You have to tweak the driver and the process affinity/priority to really eliminate every litter stutter.

I know you have to deal with really small pool of memory on xbox so you can't load every asset at the beginning of the race in consoles. And I know you have a slower disk transfer speed on xbox so you prefer to show every menu even before loading every necessary asset in the menu in order to improve response time and to give the user a higher level of control. It doesn't work this way on PC. I've seen really low memory use but everyone is suffering the hitches and stutters. No matter if smalls of several seconds stutters. A PC with 8 gb of vram and 32 gb of system ram doesn't need to stream assets in a closed track of F7 quality.

With default settings in every step and reproducible stutters, I moved first the demo to a SSD disk but there was no improvement. Then I moved the demo to a RAM disk and the results were the same, no improvements. I think the problems are related to moving asset data and shaders to the GPU ram in and out and with the use that the demo does with the cpu cores/threads. Is it discouraging how big the improvement after disabling virtual cores is.

Hitches during the menu videos (especially in the first video of the "press a button to start" and the camera movement on the car before loading the race) give an unfinished game appearance and little care from the dev and that does not fit with other parts of the game that look very polished.

I got the crash to desktop at first. Closed RTSS, the game started. Then I reopened RTSS and it was fine.

Windows 10 64-bit Creator's Update
GTX 1080 w/ driver 385.41
i7 7700K @ 4.7GHz
16GB DDR4 RAM
512GB SSD

Game ran at a near-perfect 4K/60fps during the Nissan race with one hitch that I saw. I had every setting set to max, including MSAA, and scaling at 100%. I'm very happy to see HDR support! Now there's really no excuse for Gears 4 not supporting it! :mad: Anyway, from the little anecdotal evidence I've been presented, good job Turn10.

Be sure you're running RivaTuner 7.0.0beta. But yes, everything you do with RTSS and MSIAB like taking a screenshot crashes the game.

Not a big issue, you can take screenshots easily with setting up a shortcut of xbox dvr or simply pushing PRTSCR (it will save them on OneDrive).

leng jai

Graphics are pretty underwhelming even maxed out at 4K outside of the weather. Hopefully it's just the tracks. The sound design is a lot better though from what I remember.

I think the difference between some players are others are the frequency and duration of the stutters and also their degree of sensitivity to these problems, but not their existence. You have to tweak the driver and the process affinity/priority to really eliminate every litter stutter.

I know you have to deal with really small pool of memory on xbox so you can't load every asset at the beginning of the race in consoles. And I know you have a slower disk transfer speed on xbox so you prefer to show every menu even before loading every necessary asset in the menu in order to improve response time and to give the user a higher level of control. It doesn't work this way on PC. I've seen really low memory use but everyone is suffering the hitches and stutters. No matter if smalls of several seconds stutters. A PC with 8 gb of vram and 32 gb of system ram doesn't need to stream assets in a closed track of F7 quality.

With default settings in every step and reproducible stutters, I moved first the demo to a SSD disk but there was no improvement. Then I moved the demo to a RAM disk and the results were the same, no improvements. I think the problems are related to moving asset data and shaders to the GPU ram in and out and with the use that the demo does with the cpu cores/threads. Is it discouraging how big the improvement after disabling virtual cores is.

Hitches during the menu videos (especially in the first video of the "press a button to start" and the camera movement on the car before loading the race) give an unfinished game appearance and little care from the dev and that does not fit with other parts of the game that look very polished.
So should i disable hyper threading ?
Have an ancient xeon x5670 at 4.4ghz with 6 core 12 thread but it is hogging first core and the rest is well resting.
Dont really notice any stutter during gameplay, only 1 or 2 frame drops but thats my gpu on the limits..
Have an rx480 4gb and play on 1200p monitor in 1440p downsampled at ultra 8xmsaa and get a nice 60fps.

Lima

This game already looks phenomenal and clean as hell on S. I can’t wait to see how it looks on X on my E6. Such a long wait though.

MaLDo

So should i disable hyper threading ?
Have an ancient xeon x5670 at 4.4ghz with 6 core 12 thread but it is hogging first core and the rest is well resting.
Dont really notice any stutter during gameplay, only 1 or 2 frame drops but thats my gpu on the limits..
Have an rx480 4gb and play on 1200p monitor in 1440p downsampled at ultra 8xmsaa and get a nice 60fps.

I have not tried to completely disable it in bios, it seems a very radical measure because it will affect the rest of games that do make good use of the technology. It is enough to disable those cores in the task manager once the game is started. And it's more convenient to do it in a profile manager like Process Lasso so you do not have to do it every time you launch the game.

Disabled Crashplan, Onedrive, Dropbox on my PC last night and got much better performance. The biggest change was loading times. Suddenly so much quicker.

Still get some stuttering despite hitting 60fps in the benchmark.

I have no idea why I'm spending time fiddling with this as just with Horizon 3 I know 99% of my play will be on Xbox anyway. :)

saladine1

Hmmm... the driveline flex feels off. The flex simulation is most prominent on the off throttle rather than initial throttle. I think Turn 10 have done some reverse engineering..literally.

ISee

No idea why, but cpu multi threading is non existent in this game. One of my cores gets hammered at 100% while the rest sits around and does nothing.

I never thought it would be appropriate to post this meme in 2017 for a dx12 title.

Gowans

Played the Forza 7 demo before work this morning.

Why does is have to start with assisted steering and breaking :(

Maybe it’s the new tele but the HDR makes the game lighting look mint, especially the wet race. Looks great and is super smooth.

The Dubai track seems canny but the Porsche understeers like a pig.

The Nurburgring race is loads better.

Love the new closer cockpit cam (could remove the speedometer on the hud now), and the transitions between views are can.

Suits are ok, nice you can faff with them and setting while loading now.

Super trucks are ok, I’d have rather had bikes.

It’s more Forza 👍 and have it downloading on the PC to check out 4k after work.

danowat

Banned
Played the Forza 7 demo before work this morning.

Why does is have to start with assisted steering and breaking :(

Maybe it’s the new tele but the HDR makes the game lighting look mint, especially the wet race. Looks great and is super smooth.

The Dubai track seems canny but the Porsche understeers like a pig.

The Nurburgring race is loads better.

Love the new closer cockpit cam (could remove the speedometer on the hud now), and the transitions between views are can.

Suits are ok, nice you can faff with them and setting while loading now.

Super trucks are ok, I’d have rather had bikes.

It’s more Forza 👍 and have it downloading on the PC to check out 4k after work.

Lol, I read that like a haiku.

This is bothering me now. Why does the tunnel in Dubai track look nearly pitch black. What's going on with lighting in this section of the track? If not for suggested line you wouldn't even know there is a track and not just black void.

qPOdeXJ.png

For reference this is what tunnels actually look like during day time.

A4HWZWO.jpg

skyfinch

This is bothering me now. Why does the tunnel in Dubai track look nearly pitch black. What's going on with lighting in this section of the track? If not for suggested line you wouldn't even know there is a track and not just black void.

qPOdeXJ.png

For reference this is what tunnels actually look like during day time.

A4HWZWO.jpg

That's from e3. The demo is brighter with more lights

That's from e3. The demo is brighter with more lights

False. I played that track 5 times on PC maxed out. It looks exactly like it does in the video screenshot that I took. The only reason I used video screenshot and not my own is because I can't take actual screenshot right now.

Top Bottom