• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is All Not Well at CD Projekt Red? (Trend in Glassdoor Reviews)

i doubt anyone in poland cares about glassdoor

cdpr seems fine. don't know if that success reaches all the employees, but i don't know if it would really compare unfavorably to other opportunities in eastern europe

their recent work is kind of uninspired compared to witcher 1 & 2, but that just tends to happen when you become huge

Did the guy really said that? I remember he posted at the time the game got a huge delay, and that he left, and his colleagues were doing ungodly amounts of crunch. That would line up with the rumoured troubles with 2077. I also could be misremembering, apologies if so.

It was a few months before release. Here. You go.

senj

Find me this magical company to works out for everyone who has ever worked there. This website has 30 reviews about a company with ~600 employees most of whom live in Poland and have likely never heard of Glassdoor. Is this an accurate representation of the overall workforce? I think most people with common sense would say "no".
Yeah, my biggest question about this is how representative this is. Does Glassdoor have any traction in Poland? Does most of the workforce speak English, and frequent English language employer review sites?

Hard to make comparisons to scores for other employers in the industry where essentially everyone is in Glassdoor’s demographic.

Syntsui

Maybe that sound a bit tone deaf, what I mean is, whatever is happening there isn't exactly affecting the quality of the projects they are putting out,which honestly is what matters to me.

Laboral problems suck and I hope they can sort things out.

Corporate apologists in this thread are disgusting.

"It's pretty common AAA stuff, guys, move along...but remember to support them so they keep making games I like."

While there is some of that, I think the bulk of us not immediately condemning them are not doing so because of issues with using a site like glass door to pass judgment. Also, the average review 3.1, which is not awful by any means.

Neith

Banned
Considering it's based on 30 reviews and anyone can leave a glass door review, I wouldn't put much stock in this yet.

If things are not well, I'd be willing to be our resident Press Sneak Fuck will be filling us all in soon.
It's a European company that he probably has hardly any access to. I would not bet on it. I doubt they want negative press for their company.

Sad to hear this is their culture too. Depressing as fuck. When you get off a project like this and no one even knows your name and your company does not care about despite doing great work it really has to feel like shit inside.

poodaddy

If this is true then I feel gross. CDPR are my favorite developers by a country mile, but I also don't support companies that function like this. I feel incredibly conflicted about Cyberpunk now.

senj

their recent work is kind of uninspired compared to witcher 1 & 2, but that just tends to happen when you become huge

giphy.gif

Where is this happening at?

I don't see that happening in this thread

I believe this has been rumored that CD Pojekt Red has some rough conditions to work under. That said its pretty common in AAA game development. Keep in mind I'm not excusing that whatsoever, its horrible, but just saying its all too common. Its pretty rare to work at a major AAA dev studio and not be in somewhat shitty conditions.

Always w/ the caveats..."that said," or "but..."

*looks at avatar*

I get it ;) ;) ;)

Ravidrath

For a company with 700 employees, 30 negative reviews over the course of 5 years doesn't really strike me as anything significant.

I was going to ask why you're being such a hostile prick but then I read all of your tag links and realized that it's just kind of your thing.

Yah, saw your thread about Metal Gear Survive and realized supporting scummy companies is kind of your thing so keep up the fine work here.

Maligna

Banned
For a company with 700 employees, 30 negative reviews over the course of 5 years doesn't really strike me as anything significant.

I would assume that many of them don't speak English well enough to use the site, judging by all the spelling errors in the reviews.

Which raises the question - why are EA & Ubisoft's reviews so positive by comparison?

Is CDPR an anomaly, or do other studios bloat the system with planted positive reviews?

What do the stats look like for a studio of a similar size/scale of CDPR?

EA generally pays their developers closer to software development standards, not videogame development standards.

Videogame developers are paid far less than similar roles in the larger field of software development, and EA pays higher, and has more roles outside of straight game development. As a software developer, I'd rather work at EA than most other game companies, which pay like shit and have ridiculous crunch. But I'd also never work in the games industry because I like being paid for the work I do, and don't want to ruin my life.

OT but what does make film super unstable? i thought game studios regularly lay off employees after they're done with the game or is this a different situation? sorry, genuinely curious
Seriously? People are so desperate to get into most parts of the movie industry they don't even realize being raped was not worth a shot in industry. People have been saying for decades that behind the scenes of the movie industry would shock everyone.

Ravidrath

The movie industry is fundamentally different because it's almost entirely contract, and most Hollywood employees are a member of some kind of union to help them survive between contracts.

And with contract, you at least know when you'll be out of work. And many of those contracts are priced with downtime in mind.

At many studios, working in the game industry is functionally like working contract because you get let go at the end of the project. But because it's on a whim, there's no union backing you, etc. I would argue that it's much harder on people.

Huh. I wanted to check Naughty Dog because that company looks like hell to work for.

4.3 rating from 33 reviews.

95% approve of Evan Wells.

95% would recommend a friend.

Maligna

Banned
Huh. I wanted to check Naughty Dog because that company looks like hell to work for.

Only 33 reviews for Naughty Dog? Take it with a grain of salt. They obviously inflated the results.
/s

tuxfool

Banned

I'd argue that a lot of people know what they're getting into at naughty dog. It becomes self selecting, especially in light that the studio can be highly selective of people that fit the studio culture.

finalflame

Gold Member
Most people getting into the gaming industry as a whole know exactly what they're getting themselves into. The expectations are kind of set at the door. People could very well take their particular set of skills and work in better paid/better balanced industries, especially engineers.

BiggNife

The Blood, Sweat and Pixels chapter on Uncharted 4 makes that place sound like a nightmare but also it sounds like it is well known that if you plan to work at ND you will crunch harder than you've ever crunched so I have to imagine people went in with that expectation.

tuxfool

Banned
Most people getting into the gaming industry as a whole know exactly what they're getting themselves into. The expectations are kind of set at the door. People could very well take their particular set of skills and work in better paid/better balanced industries, especially engineers.

Yeah, this is kind of the thing. Engineers could do anything they want and their skills will retain mobility in a wide variety of sectors. Artists and designers will obviously find it harder.

senj

Only 33 reviews for Naughty Dog? Take it with a grain of salt. They obviously inflated the results.
/s
I mean, yes? Definitely take it with a grain of salt.

A self-selecting sample of of 33 people from a poll of several hundred is a poor sample. That doesn’t mean they’re inflating the results, or not, or that CD Projekt Red is or isn’t terrible, that’s just... basic statistics.

Maligna

Banned
I mean, yes? Definitely take it with a grain of salt.

A self-selecting sample of of 33 people from a poll of several hundred is a poor sample. That doesn’t mean they’re inflating the results, or not, or that CD Projekt Red is or isn’t terrible, that’s just... basic statistics.

I don't think the number of reviews is what we should be focusing on so much as the consistency of them over so many years.

BiggNife

If the twitter feed of ND devs are any indication, ND devs are almost... happy/proud of their crunch?

Not many devs I see proudly tweet or show themselves crunching at 2am in the morning.

Yeah, ND loves crunch and it is fully well known that if you work at ND you will need to embrace crunch. Schreier stresses this in his book.

That doesn't mean crunch is okay, of course, but it also means someone hired from ND has different expectations going in than someone hired at CDProjekt.

Find me this magical company to works out for everyone who has ever worked there. This website has 30 reviews about a company with ~600 employees most of whom live in Poland and have likely never heard of Glassdoor. Is this an accurate representation of the overall workforce? I think most people with common sense would say "no".

You’re making a lot of assumptions about what professionals in Poland know or don’t know. I’m currently working at a company with alot of negative reviews at Glassdoor and it’s pretty accurate to how most of the workers I know feel about the company, so when I see something like this I don’t just dismiss it like you are doing right now.

g11

Sample size probably skews things a little bit, but I'd be shocked if CDPR somehow figured out how to make stellar games on time and on budget without resorting to crunch and the like, making some feel under appreciated. I'd buy that CDPR is flawed in its work practices before I bought EA and Ubisoft as some kind of workers utopia like these reviews suggest.

Maligna

Banned
I'm currently working at a company with alot of negative reviews at Glassdoor and it's pretty accurate to how most of the workers I know feel about the company, so when I see something like this I don't just dismiss it like you are doing right now.

Before I posted this thread I seached for previous glassdoor topics and I saw that many people say the same, that the reviews they read are in line what they observe at their place of work.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1112312&highlight=glassdoor
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221646&highlight=glassdoor

senj

I don't think the number of reviews is what we should be focusing on so much as the consistency of them over so many years.
16 of 30 wouldn’t recommend it to a friend versus 14 of 30 would?

CDPR could well be hell on earth, but this is some mathematically shaky ground you’re staking out. Consistency or inconsistency of a too-small self-reported sample tells you nothing, because it’s the “too small”and “self reported” that make the data unreliable.

Bod

Neo Member
I would assume that many of them don't speak English well enough to use the site, judging by all the spelling errors in the reviews.

i love how you are calling out people sticking up for CDPR, yet you are just making up your own reasons without any proof as why there are only 33 reviews, just so you can condemn CDPR

We gotta stop with these glassdoor threads. Working in games is hard, no studio is perfect hell no job in the world is. If a studio is breaking employment laws that should be thread worthy but angry ex-employees leaving bad reviews isnt really news or should stop us as consumers from enjoying their products.

Wamb0wneD

I believe this has been rumored that CD Pojekt Red has some rough conditions to work under. That said its pretty common in AAA game development. Keep in mind I'm not excusing that whatsoever, its horrible, but just saying its all too common. Its pretty rare to work at a major AAA dev studio and not be in somewhat shitty conditions.

Then why is the approval rate of the CEO at Projekt 15% while it's 98% at Ubisoft? Something went terribly wrong over there.

It's been working out great for me as a consumer.

FWIW as a dev for the most part I think this should be your perspective. It's almost impossible for anyone outside the team to understand what's going on with any clarity or correctness, and I don't think it's the consumers responsibility to worry about these things in terms of specifics (vs e.g. federal labor law, state non-compete law, etc.).

We gotta stop with these glassdoor threads.

It's pretty silly given the selection bias.

Renekton

We gotta stop with these glassdoor threads. Working in games is hard, no studio is perfect hell no job in the world is. If a studio is breaking employment laws that should be thread worthy but angry ex-employees leaving bad reviews isnt really news or should stop us as consumers from enjoying their products.
So you want us to ignore the conditions of people working in the industry.

Jimrpg

The Witcher 3 was AMAZING up until you get to Novigrad. The Bloody Baron, the Crones of Crookbag Bog, the talking tree, all of that stuff was immensely creative. Everything in Velen was great. After you get to Novigrad, the game became completely fetch quest heavy, and essentially Geralt the errand boy. The investigation mechanic was also way overused pretty much all the way to the end.

My take is that they ran out of time and didn't edit and polish off the last half of the game. They already delayed the game by six months if i recall, and it wasn't going to be pushed back a second time. That's at least a year of crunch time I bet.

Still a great game overall, but the first 30 hours are really something special. The last 30 are a bit rote.

I'm still looking forward to playing the expansions.

Which raises the question - why are EA & Ubisoft's reviews so positive by comparison?

Is CDPR an anomaly, or do other studios bloat the system with planted positive reviews?

What do the stats look like for a studio of a similar size/scale of CDPR?

I cannot comment on the gaming industry as a whole, but I thought it worth saying in response to your Ubisoft and EA question about their reviews. I work for a rather large telecommunications company. Without going into specifics, these guys have a team of people that are paid to do one thing and one thing only. They hunt down negative reviews and comments about the company on social media and the web in general. When those negatives are found, they drop a litany of positives to improve the internet's perception of the company. I would not be surprised if this has extended to Glassdoor and I'd be even less surprised to find out Ubisoft/EA spend tons of money on doing the same.

Top Bottom