• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pyre |OT| We Carry The Fire

Altairre

Played for just under 2 hours and im ready to refund it. The music, art style and story have me interested but the gameplay is so repetitive and boring I just cant continue playing. Flame me all you want but this is the definition of an over hyped game. And I did enjoy the hell out of Bastion and Transistor so I was really looking forward to Pyre.

This is a silly thing to say. An overwhelming majority of the reviews are extremely positive, as are most of the first impressions in this thread (I really like it so far as well). You're free to dislike it but that doesn't mean everybody else is wrong.

epmode

Oh god, they're doing interactive music. I love this.

edit: It would be nice to have a dialog history feature, as seen in other visual novel things. Doesn't have to be a long history but I'd like to go back a few lines every once in a while.

Hektor

5 hours in now, the stroy started becoming a bit more interesting.

The combat also now is a lot more challenging than at the ebginning as the enmies started using masteries and talismans like the palyer does.

Gameplay "spoiler"
I also love how the game suddenly becomes a lot more open natured

Waxwing

Question: Is it possible to miss recruiting a character? I lost the battle with the
snakes
, and the achievements indicate that there's a character that joins from that race

This is going to mess with me a whole lot!

c4sRHo0.png

Oh my god I love this game. It reminds me of Deathrow back on the original Xbox which was a hidden gem that never got the love it deserved.

That combined with supergiant's style is just amazing. This is easily my GOTY so far, just like Transistor was gor 2014.

Also I am in love with Jodariel. I finally found my gaming waifu. Hot fuckin damn.

tm24

Oh my god the theme that plays when you encounter Barker. So goooooooood

EDIT: It's called Thrash Pack and its the best named song in any Supergiant game

Kieli

Game is amazing. I'm two hours in, so far. Switched to controller because I don't like using mouse + keyboard. Turned auto-aim on though.

Played for just under 2 hours and im ready to refund it. The music, art style and story have me interested but the gameplay is so repetitive and boring I just cant continue playing. Flame me all you want but this is the definition of an over hyped game. And I did enjoy the hell out of Bastion and Transistor so I was really looking forward to Pyre.

Edit: I meant over hyped as in people in this thread calling it GoTY and it getting 9+'s on certain review sites. It's really nothing special in terms of the gameplay.

Good one.

So basically your definition of "overhyped" is a game that people like?

Arkanius

Oh my god the theme that plays when you encounter Barker. So goooooooood

EDIT: It's called Thrash Pack and its the best named song in any Supergiant game

I listened to the whole OST before playing the game
That soundtrack instantly clicked with me

It's so god damn good and blood pumping

Pygrus

My SO bought the game and I played a bit. They basically made Blitzball, that's what I thought about when I saw this.

The AI in the beginning of the game is brain dead easy though.

No. I said that people claiming it's GOTY and giving it 9+ in reviews are OVER HYPING the game..when the gameplay does NOT warrant any of those accolade. IMO. Now go fuck yourself.

Dude, chill with the insults. Just because people like it more than you doesn't mean it's overhyped.

I fucking hate The Last of Us. I think it has mediocre gameplay, a boring story, and dull art. But I don't call it overhyped because I know that it resonates with a lot of people.

You're misusing the term and getting defensive when called out on it. The gameplay of Pyre is very clever and creative. Even if you don't like it I feel like on a factual basis it's difficult to deny it pulls a lot of clever tricks, such as how the auras function and change, the different characters' movesets, and the difficulty once you get further in.

Dude, chill with the insults. Just because people like it more than you doesn't mean it's overhyped.

I fucking hate The Last of Us. I think it has mediocre gameplay, a boring story, and dull art. But I don't call it overhyped because I know that it resonates with a lot of people.

You're misusing the term and getting defensive when called out on it. The gameplay of Pyre is very clever and creative. Even if you don't like it I feel like on a factual basis it's difficult to deny it pulls a lot of clever tricks, such as how the auras function and change, the different characters' movesets, and the difficulty once you get further in.

Lol the multiplayer in The Last of Us is better than anything in this Pyle of trash. Thanks for making me laugh though

Xe4

Banned
So my initial impressions after listening to the OST is that I think the instrumental stuff was definetly the best of the three. It was the most varied and had the most songs that I really liked. That said, the songs with vocals were a bit dissapointing. The duet stuff is ok, but Darren Korb/Ashley Lynn Barrett solo stuff is where it's at.I know that was less possible due to the theme of the game being different than Transistor, but still sad. Would've been cool to have stand alone solo songs like Signals and She Shines for the Transistor OST (I know She Shines came later), or The Pantheon for Bastion's.

If I had to rate the soundtracks it would be Transistor > Pyre > Bastion, though they're all great.

Lol the multiplayer in The Last of Us is better than anything in this Pyle of trash. Thanks for making me laugh though
You're free to criticize the game, but throwing insults at people and the game for no reason is pretty lame.

Why didn't you like the gameplay? What do you think could've been done to make it better?

Edit: can't say I'm surprised he got banned in the slightest. Moving on then : )

Xeteh

I like checking everyone's item in the wagon each time we stop to see what they're doing because there's some good ones in there... Fae is "off befriending critters".

No. I said that people claiming it's GOTY and giving it 9+ in reviews are OVER HYPING the game..when the gameplay does NOT warrant any of those accolades. IMO. Now go fuck yourself.

You seem like a level-headed individual. I'm ~3 hours in to this game and absolutely loving it so I guess I'm "over hyping" something I'm enjoying. You're totally allowed to not like the thing other people like but getting all defensive about it is insanely childish.

GavinUK86

I like checking everyone's item in the wagon each time we stop to see what they're doing because there's some good ones in there... Fae is "off befriending critters".

You seem like a level-headed individual. I'm ~3 hours in to this game and absolutely loving it so I guess I'm "over hyping" something I'm enjoying. You're totally allowed to not like the thing other people like but getting all defensive about it is insanely childish.

Im not even mad, I got my refund. Enjoy it all you want. I just feel bad for the people who buy it on console and cant get a refund.

Feel free to reply in spoilers if you feel it's needed:

Is Logan Cunningham in this game? The guy who voiced Rucks and The Transistor?

nynt9

I purchased this and I really want to play it, but I'm flying out very soon. Would it be playable on a laptop trackpad?

Yes, you're correct. Logan is the guy who narrates the Rites. He sounds super different from the two other games : )

Man that's crazy. I applaud his range, even if I will miss the soothing baritone.

I mean, have you heard an interview with him? He sounds nothing like the characters he voiced previously. Dude has range.

I haven't, no. I've only heard his Rucks voice.

lt519

Lol he even posted in the over hyped and now forgotten games thread with Pyre. Someone pissed in his cereal.

Just finished downloading, saving it for a weekend play through. Really excited, you all got me hyped.

Maybe 3 or 4 hours in. This is really great so far. The world, the lore, the different regions and characters are all fascinating, and every party member has been likeable and given distinct compelling personalities. The writing that brings it all to life is precise and descriptive without being flowery, packing a lot of details and atmosphere into few words. It's certainly been a journey; seeing more, learning more about your companions, and reaching new otherworldly places is what drives me to continue

That's not to say that the Rites gameplay isn't well done. In fact, it's surprisingly well done. I have about zero love for sports games, but this blends the intense offense and defense and team strategy of a sports match with the deep synergies of skills and builds of an SRPG. Each class has a small skill tree, but the major skills can shift your strategies drastically in how they alter and add to your abilities. Something as simple as a double jump opens the door wide for new tactics

The early Rites can be pretty easy, but the recent ones have all been intense struggles with close calls and on-the-fly strategies as you adapt to which characters you have at your disposal versus the abilities of your rivals.

If not for an awesome narrator and the gorgeous art and music, you'd probably never guess this was a Supergiant game. Which makes it that much more impressive. Pyre is an odd game, a whimsical wasteland hybrid of interactive fiction/visual novel, RPG adventure, and fast-paced sports game strategy. But somehow it works.

rickyson1

took a while for me to get into the gameplay,made it like 4-5 hours in and it's finally starting to really grow on me

and of course it's certainly looked and sounded great throughout

sgtmofo

Neo Member
A couple hours into it now. Glad to see the difficulty starting to ramp up a bit. Also enjoy how they use various character ailments to force you into using different characters each ritual.

The game is definitely unique, though I don't know if I could easily recommend this as a 'must-buy'.

hollomat

Banned
Loving it so far. Only issue I have is that the maximum volume is pretty low. My computer sound and in game sound is all the way up, but the in game sound is a little too quiet for me.

Supergiant is definitely one of the most creative studios around. Each of their 3 games are completely unique gameplay wise not only to each other but to most games on the market. A real breath of fresh air.

Xe4

Banned
So I upped the difficulty to hard (or whatever they call hard) and went against the
dogs
in the fourth rite and got my ass fucking handed to me. I didn't even score a single point : (
If the next match is as hard, I may have to bump it back down to normal.
Damn, shit got fucking real that match.
I probably shouldn't have been using that new character which played way differently from everyone else, but I didn't think it was going to be that difficult, and went in overconfident.

tuxfool

Banned
The difficulty does ramp up. My only issue with the game is that it doesn't lock the mouse to the same screen, so the game is constantly minimizing when the cursor escapes to my other screens.

Top Bottom