• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

3phemeral

This is the best / most stable ROM out there, right? Might finally make the jump to a custom ROM today.

What kernel does it work best with? I've been on leankernel the past few weeks and have been reasonably satisfied.

Just tested out Tethering and it worked perfectly, so not an issue any more. :)

santouras

dropped my GN and a nice crack on the screen..... :-/

going by online reports, the glass is fused to the display, which means even tho the glass is the only damaged part, need to replace the entire display. Part alone is north of $200, with labour close to $300 to get repaired.... sigh

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I was curious, has anyone tried Tablet Hybrid mode?

hybrid_0t5bma.png

*shudder* Its what I've always wanted.

kinggroin

Banned
dropped my GN and a nice crack on the screen..... :-/

going by online reports, the glass is fused to the display, which means even tho the glass is the only damaged part, need to replace the entire display. Part alone is north of $200, with labour close to $300 to get repaired.... sigh

I'll take the phone off your hands for $75

So, Vodafail in Australia has still not rolled out the GNex update for it's users. Still stuck on 4.0.1 :(

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a google phone if carriers are able to restrict firmware updates by loading their custom roms on top.

I'm thinking of doing this: Change to 4.0.4 yakju from yakjuxw

Has anyone tried doing this, is this safe?

malyce

So, Vodafail in Australia has still not rolled out the GNex update for it's users. Still stuck on 4.0.1 :(

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a google phone if carriers are able to restrict firmware updates by loading their custom roms on top.

I'm thinking of doing this: Change to 4.0.4 yakju from yakjuxw

Has anyone tried doing this, is this safe?
Yup, its just like restoring your device to factory settings, only difference is you're using the yakju system and data images instead of the yakjuwx... and since you don't even need to flash a new bootloader there is zero % chance of you bricking what is already essentially an unbrickable device. Just make sure you have all the necessary drivers installed.

Sweet, thanks. Will try this. The only downside is having all data erased. Google account does not restore everything as was before the reset. Any way to do a data restore like we have for laptops?

gcubed

Sweet, thanks. Will try this. The only downside is having all data erased. Google account does not restore everything as was before the reset. Any way to do a data restore like we have for laptops?

earlier in this thread there was steps for a backup from ICS. I've done it and you can do a full backup before unlock then restore everything.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Google never shipped my Galaxy Nexus, and tomorrow makes one week since I ordered. No idea what's going on, they keep giving me the runaround so I just cancelled the order. I guess my Nexus One will suffice for a few more months. :(

earlier in this thread there was steps for a backup from ICS. I've done it and you can do a full backup before unlock then restore everything.

Great, I can't find that post though. A little help please :)

Also, my phone was originally locked on Vodafone and I had it unlocked from their website. Will this method screw with the unlock in any way? I just want to be sure because I don't want to deal with Voda's abysmal customer care here in AU.

Within the first week of unlocking the handset, it suddenly lost signal and after rebooting it got locked again. It's been 3 months and they still have not provided me with a solution. I googled this issue and had reset my phone the same day to fix it.

gcubed

Great, I can't find that post though. A little help please :)

Also, my phone was originally locked on Vodafone and I had it unlocked from their website. Will this method screw with the unlock in any way? I just want to be sure because I don't want to deal with Voda's abysmal customer care here in AU.

Within the first week of unlocking the handset, it suddenly lost signal and after rebooting it got locked again. It's been 3 months and they still have not provided me with a solution. I googled this issue and had reset my phone the same day to fix it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36881998&postcount=9116

there you go. It works real well.

kehs

Banned
Google never shipped my Galaxy Nexus, and tomorrow makes one week since I ordered. No idea what's going on, they keep giving me the runaround so I just cancelled the order. I guess my Nexus One will suffice for a few more months. :(

Sounds like they're using the same rollout mechanism for their phones that they use for their updates.

Thanks, I just checked my phone with android system info - it says yakjudv instead of yakjuxw? Is that a problem?

EDIT: Sorry, got my answer.

If you're in the US, you might as well switch to the takju build, since that's the build being used for the devices coming out of the Play Store.

gcubed

order again and see if it works, they ahve been coming in to people who ordered.

Futureman

Pure Google is overrated, the OEM skins are getting better and you can just use a launcher anyway. ICS still isn't entirely coherent design-wise, and 3rd party skins are not the laggy, ugly system-hogging beasts they used to be based on the reviews I've read. The best reason for picking a Nexus device has always been the implication of 1st priority in OS updates, and Google screwed that up. When you have phones with OEM skins getting ICS before some Nexus S phones, you've basically thrown the biggest reason to own a stock Google phone out the window. With the upcoming awesomeness of the GSIII and HTC OneX and all the other superphones coming out, I'd be hesitant to give that up just for a "pure" Google experience that's just not indisputably better any more.

Well I still haven't seen any custom OEM skin that I like better than Pure Google, so no it's not overrated for me. I did the custom ROM/Launcher on my Droid X, would rather not mess with that stuff on my new phone.

and I'm still on Froyo... I honestly wouldn't really care if I never got off ICS w/ the GN, but obviously it will at least get Jelly Bean at some point.

My early upgrade with Verizon is on June 7th... do you guys think they would let me upgrade early if I went to the store after work? Worth a shot?

Day 3 of my 2000mah extended battery.

15hr46m on battery
4hr02m screen on (30% brightness)
wifi on all day long

33% still left

I like this new battery a lot :)

malyce

James Bond Kernel is amazing... been home for the past few days so this is what i got with very light usage... just got tired of the battery not dying so i decided to drain it at the end. Gonna order me one of those extended batteries, need more screen time. The damn screen on this phone devours the fucking battery.

FzyXp.png

umaTW.png

Dash27

So it looks like this is the phone for me.

My big concern here is battery life, I notice people here talking about that. My current phone is an old and slow LG Ally. Battery time is horrible and camera is horrible on the Ally. I cant quantify it other than to say that today for example I've been texting casually since 9am, so 6 hours, and it's nearly dead. Under 10%. From just texting. No calls, video, music etc.

Can the owners here comment on if this review is accurate in their experience:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cell-phone-reviews/samsung-galaxy-nexus-review/2/

This phone has NFC, dual-core processing, high-speed 4G LTE, and an awesome brand new interface. It’s also a fantastic-looking phone with a solid camera. This is not a potshot at any other phone, but we can think of no good reason to buy any other high-end Verizon phone this holiday if the Galaxy Nexus is available near you. The Galaxy Nexus costs $300 with a two-year contract.
Highs

New Android Ice Cream Sandwich rocks
Fast camera shutter speed
Clean, buttonless design
Feels great to hold
4G LTE, dual-core, and NFC included
Screen is big, but manageable

Lows

Battery life isn’t great
Many apps don’t take advantage of swiping
Camera gets trigger happy
Contacts app still needs improving

kinggroin

Banned
So it looks like this is the phone for me.

My big concern here is battery life, I notice people here talking about that. My current phone is an old and slow LG Ally. Battery time is horrible and camera is horrible on the Ally. I cant quantify it other than to say that today for example I've been texting casually since 9am, so 6 hours, and it's nearly dead. Under 10%. From just texting. No calls, video, music etc.

Can the owners here comment on if this review is accurate in their experience:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cell-phone-reviews/samsung-galaxy-nexus-review/2/

App situation has improved a bit. We're seeing more and more of them either move towards the holo theme (taking advantage of swiping between screen/tabs) and/or hardware acceleration!

The battery still sucks hardcore when the screen is on (good luck cracking three hours of screen on time with the stock battery), but the phone can last a long ass time when on standby. Overall, I usually get about 8 hours of medium-heavy use, and up to 13 hours of light usage.

rozay

Banned
The camera is probably better than your Ally but still extremely mediocre in comparison to other phones in its pricerange, and as far as battery goes, the screen is the biggest drain, but the extended battery can give you 45-60 extra minutes and it should be fine if you text a lot.

i'm glad i'm not the only one with decent battery time. People said i was crazy when i said i can get over 4 hours of screen on time

Really depends on what you are doing and what radio you are using. Him being on wifi all day doesn't surprise me. If you have the screen on just to read something without having to use data (i.e. read a book on kindle, browse gaf where you mostly just load some text.) or just constantly browsing/changing songs while listening to music then you can definitely get 4 hours on screen time.

If someone was using LTE (bad/weak connection will drain the battery really quick) and constantly loading new web pages using a bunch of data or playing a game for a long period of time, I doubt that battery will last you all day with juice to spare.

The camera is probably better than your Ally but still extremely mediocre in comparison to other phones in its pricerange, and as far as battery goes, the screen is the biggest drain, but the extended battery can give you 45-60 extra minutes and it should be fine if you text a lot.

I actually think it's the weak radios that are the biggest drain on the gnex. It constantly trying hard to keep a signal is what drains the battery. Those that are in a good coverage area or mostly on wifi experience good battery life.

rozay

Banned
I actually think it's the weak radios that are the biggest drain on the gnex. It constantly trying hard to keep a signal is what drains the battery. Those that are in a good coverage area or mostly on wifi experience good battery life.
LTE or GSM? I remember gcubed mentioning that issue once.

Also just wondering, are there any ways to assign app notifications to custom LED colors other than Light Flow? I always preferred the inbuilt CM6 and CM7 LED notification system to light flow and trackball alert.

Husker86

Also just wondering, are there any ways to assign app notifications to custom LED colors other than Light Flow? I always preferred the inbuilt CM6 and CM7 LED notification system to light flow and trackball alert.
Just curious, how come you don't like Lightflow?

gcubed

The LTE version (stock 402, supposedly fixed in 404) is absolutely horrendous at 3g/4g switching. Horrendous.

As promised

Mine on right, GF's on left; same brightness setting.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9sPCp06ijJWRkJLc0FGaXZVdWM

Sorry, couldn't get a good focus. As I said, all 4 other GNs I've seen have the same screen as my GF's on the left.

edit: And yes, the settings screen and dark room makes the difference more apparent, it is still noticeable in normal use but I wanted to make sure no one could deny there are different screens on the GN out there ;)

I just got my nexus today and my phone is like the one on the left. It looks terrible. I'm going to ask for a replacement tomorrow and hope I get a good one.

Why are my damn blacks purple? Smh google.

DXPett1

Man, I want to go back to 4.0.2. Since the initial 4.0.4 update and then the IMM76I build it has been one disaster after another. My battery life has been cut in half and I use my phone less than do when I first had it.

Google deleted the IMM76K OTA from their servers, another problem found?

I have slight performance issues with I. Didn't fix the lock screen lag issue. Which is basically my only issue, but it is an annoying one. My battery life is definitely better on standby but screen on time remains an issue, but that comes down to better battery technology or using a non removable battery and using the slight extra space to up the maH. Was hoping K might roll out to GSM users too. Or maybe that will now be L....

After a bit of reading it turns out that it's the auto brightness doing it, so should be a relatively simple fix somewhere down the line.

Zeppu

So i'm getting a com.android.phone force close on startup. I thought 4.0.4 would fix this but it didn't. Most probably this can be fixed by reverting to factory state, but if I'm going through the hassle of wiping, I'm going to unlock bootloader and root my GN finally.

What roms do you guys suggest? I think the Kang releases seem to be the best out there, am I correct? Otherwise I'll just go for a simple tweaked version from Modaco.

Top Bottom