• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

reKon

Banned
How have people with the Verizon Nexus managed to get good screen on time? Can you give me the specific roms / kernels / settings you used?

I have the extended battery on wifi most of the day with the stock rooted.4.0.4 and lean kernel with lean tweaks. Undervolted with no over clock, sio scheduler and auto brightness. I generally get around 2.5 to 3 hours screen on.

As of now I'm using AOKP build35, Franco nightly 160, and brightness has been at 40%/auto brightness. Wifi is was connected when my phone was at home, which was half of the day. 3G on only.

I've been running 20 hours, with 2 40 mins of screen time (my battery is almost dead). This is with the stock battery. I think that I would probably get around 4 hours of screen time with moderate usage and have the battery last 14-15 hours

kinggroin

Banned
As of now I'm using AOKP build35, Franco nightly 160, and brightness has been at 40%/auto brightness. Wifi is was connected when my phone was at home, which was half of the day. 3G on only.

I've been running 20 hours, with 2 40 mins of screen time (my battery is almost dead). This is with the stock battery. I think that I would probably get around 4 hours of screen time with moderate usage and have the battery last 14-15 hours

I'd love to see one person break 4hrs screen on time.

reKon

Banned
A lot of people on the root wiki forums have been able to some how (best I've seen is like 5+ hours). On one of the roms in the past I know I've done 3 30 hours of screen time during the day. The problem is that I don't ever need to moderately use my phone that much ever which I why I always end up with something like 2.5 hours with 24 hours of on time

DarkFlow

Banned
Well my Google wallet is borked. I'm now getting the secure element error and from what I've read the only way to fix it is getting a new phone and that's not happening. oh well not like I used it anyway but it's not looking good for gw if some simple error makes the whole app useless.

How is Google going to enable global capabilities on the RAZR and such? Wouldn't they have to have Euro bands in them? Was it known that they do?

Just wondering if these newfound discoveries will affect the Nexus in any positive ways :)

kehs

Banned
How is Google going to enable global capabilities on the RAZR and such? Wouldn't they have to have Euro bands in them? Was it known that they do?

Just wondering if these newfound discoveries will affect the Nexus in any positive ways :)

Those phone have always had the GSM hardware inside the, they were just locked out through software, cause Verizon is Verizon.

I don't think the Verizon model of the GN supports any gsm though, so you're probably outta luck. =(

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
So... Verizon 4.0.4 OTA is probably coming out tomorrow.

In others news, I've gone through 3 Nexus' and all have had problems of some sort (screen, 4G radio). Onto the 4th I guess. Not going to give up until I get a good phone as I absolutely love it otherwise.

thespot84

In others news, I've gone through 3 Nexus' and all have had problems of some sort (screen, 4G radio). Onto the 4th I guess. Not going to give up until I get a good phone as I absolutely love it otherwise.

uhhhhh, call me jaded, but source?

DarkFlow

Banned

This reminds me of when I had my OG Droid on Verizon. We kept hearing about the magical 2.2 update that was coming "next week" that turned into like 4 months. Never change Verizon.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
uhhhhh, call me jaded, but source?

Verizon employees/tech support (ya ya, I know). I got quoted on the phone that it would be the 22nd last week by a tech, others have been getting the same thing. Since they've already floated the OTA to a small group early this month, I'm inclined to believe it's very soon.

DarkFlow

Banned
Verizon employees/tech support (ya ya, I know). I got quoted on the phone that it would be the 22nd last week by a tech, others have been getting the same thing. Since they've already floated the OTA to a small group early this month, I'm inclined to believe it's very soon.
Well I hope you get it soon. It's insane that Google's flagship on Verizon has gone 5 months without a update.

gcubed

If Verizon tech's said it, then it means its probably June sometime after it gets delayed for unknown reasons another month

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wait, .4 hasn't been rolled out yet to you guys?

JrDnU.gif

buhdeh

Does the galaxy nexus have a very strong blue tint? I looked at one on display and noticed that white backgrounds looked pretty bad and the screen looked very blue compared to the HTC one x (which has an amazing screen btw).

Unfortunately, my provider doesn't carry the One X so I've been trying to pick between the Galaxy Nexus and the HTC One S. I think the One S screen (in terms of color) looked better than the Galaxy Nexus but it might be cause the Galaxy Nexus has been on display there for far longer than the One S. Thoughts? Slightly leaning towards the GN just because I like the power button on the right and that it feels less slippery than the One S.

Pff I'm still on 4.01. Fuck you Bell.

Guys, "exchange services" aka my hotmail account (just one synced) used 650 megs since may 2nd, what in gods name is causing this? Its usually just a few megs or whatever but 650 megs...holy shit.

I've already reached my data usage and still have 10 days to go.

Piano

Banned
Pff I'm still on 4.01. Fuck you Bell.

Guys, "exchange services" aka my hotmail account (just one synced) used 650 megs since may 2nd, what in gods name is causing this? Its usually just a few megs or whatever but 650 megs...holy shit.

I've already reached my data usage and still have 10 days to go.

How far back did you set it to sync your mail? If it's trying to sync your whole inbox or the last year or something than I can see how it'd pull over 500 mb

I've been running 4.0.4 on my Verizon Tuna since January. I don't know what you guys have been doing.

For those who are into dabbling with the custom kernels, Leankernel gained the tweak to lower screen voltage as of 3.6.0 (stable). That's right, this improves battery life when the screen is on, and as we all know, the 720p Super AMOLED HD screen is the #1 killer of the battery on the Tuna!

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Does the galaxy nexus have a very strong blue tint? I looked at one on display and noticed that white backgrounds looked pretty bad and the screen looked very blue compared to the HTC one x (which has an amazing screen btw).
Some screens are a little more cool than others (although I don't find the white point/balance that off). What's worse is that a lot of them seem to have a strong blue tint when you aren't looking at the screen directly on center. My first phone that has a bad LTE radio has the best screen I've seen so far which is why I might try to get Samsung to repair it instead of playing the Nexus lottery over and over trying to get a good screen. Samsung has shit quality control, to put it mildly.

I've been running 4.0.4 on my Verizon Tuna since January. I don't know what you guys have been doing.
I think the point is that the official 4.0.4 should have better radios than what's out there now.

HeySeuss

Does anyone have issues with their WiFi signal randomly going grey when it still reads as a strong signal? Turning the WiFi off and back on doesn't usually solve the problem and I have to resort to rebooting. Sometimes I'll get the same thing on my 3 and 4G signals and its a pain in the ass. Typically happens every other day and I'm on Verizon stock.

I can't tell if its a hardware or a software issue.

Does anyone have issues with their WiFi signal randomly going grey when it still reads as a strong signal? Turning the WiFi off and back on doesn't usually solve the problem and I have to resort to rebooting. Sometimes I'll get the same thing on my 3 and 4G signals and its a pain in the ass. Typically happens every other day and I'm on Verizon stock.

I can't tell if its a hardware or a software issue.
My friend had this problem. I flashed both leaked 4.0.4 images on his phone and it didn't help. He got a replacement from Verizon and it seems to be OK now.

Cake Boss

Banned
Ok I have some weird ass internet problem.When I turn on my wifi I get the grey icons on my 3G and wifi icon, so no internet access. But when I turn off my Wifi I get a blue bar on my 3G and can acess the internet.

What the hell is going on.

gutshot

Dropped calls, poor wifi reception, lack of updates, weak battery... you guys are making me regret my decision to get the Verizon Nexus. :(

I still have time to change my mind, should I?

reKon

Banned

For those who are into dabbling with the custom kernels, Leankernel gained the tweak to lower screen voltage as of 3.6.0 (stable). That's right, this improves battery life when the screen is on, and as we all know, the 720p Super AMOLED HD screen is the #1 killer of the battery on the Tuna!

Does Franco r160 have this too? Apparently that one has been god like for everyone. For me its been just pretty good but I can't actually tell because for the past weeks I've been studying in a place where I get no good cell reception. I'll try 3.7 with aokp b35

Piano

Banned

I'm on leankernel 3.6 - is there anything I need to do in leantweaks to 'activate' this lowered voltage or is it already on?

I assume it's already on because I have noticed a moderate improvement in screen on time. Which is aweeeesomeeeee

How far back did you set it to sync your mail? If it's trying to sync your whole inbox or the last year or something than I can see how it'd pull over 500 mb

Only 3 days and I rarely have a stacked inbox. Anyway reading online, its a known issue, I'll just get touchdown.

Just flashed 4.0.4 last night from 4.0.1 and it's a bit quicker, but I can't get a data connection on either IMM76D or IMM76I :( Mobile network state is Disconnected.

edit: So, I manually entered the APN info from my carriers website and I now get a data connection. Don't know why it worked automatically before but won't now. Looks like 4.0.4 only gives me the option of Telus under APN, while 4.0.2 shows Telus, Koodo, and another network.

I'm on leankernel 3.6 - is there anything I need to do in leantweaks to 'activate' this lowered voltage or is it already on?

I assume it's already on because I have noticed a moderate improvement in screen on time. Which is aweeeesomeeeee

It's already on.

Leankernel has a habit of breaking widgets when the author changes something and it makes the widgets 'freeze' and never update. 3.7.0 (stable) is an example of such an update, so I've rolled back to 3.6.0.

thespot84

vzw usually puts out a pdf or website about what's new (poor man's changelog) but I'm not seeing one. Still jaded.

EDIT: Comments on androidcentral confirm the MD5 hashes for the May 1 update and this update are the same, so who knows... Curious that they'd postpone a release for 3 weeks with no changes.

gcubed

vzw usually puts out a pdf or website about what's new (poor man's changelog) but I'm not seeing one. Still jaded.

EDIT: Comments on androidcentral confirm the MD5 hashes for the May 1 update and this update are the same, so who knows... Curious that they'd postpone a release for 3 weeks with no changes.

its verizon, its not curious, its the way it works

Zeppu

So my phone is randomly rebooting when snoozing the alarm, and it gives me an error when I start it up. I'm thinking of finally unlocking bootloader/rooting/etc...

Is there an easy way to backup the keyboard user dictionary. That's the only thing that's holding me back.

gcubed

So my phone is randomly rebooting when snoozing the alarm, and it gives me an error when I start it up. I'm thinking of finally unlocking bootloader/rooting/etc...

Is there an easy way to backup the keyboard user dictionary. That's the only thing that's holding me back.

if you are still under warranty i'd get a new one instead of trying to deal with it by unlocking. You can still unlock the new one, but at least you know its not a real issue

Top Bottom