• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

Excuse my bluntness but people toying with the ENB mod are being too disorganized. For example, when posting a screenshot, do so with ENB on and off and don't use an "artistic" shot, just a normal gameplay one, with a frame counter is better.

Remember this thread has to be more functional than anything else.

Question: This ENB mod is just adding a post process filter or is adding ambient occlusion? The real benefit i see it's for the AO but it always have a big performance hit. When it just applies a color palette, in my opinion, it's not worthed the decrease in performance.

Excuse my bluntness but people toying with the ENB mod are being too disorganized. For example, when posting a screenshot, do so with ENB on and off and don't use an "artistic" shot, just a normal gameplay one, with a frame counter is better.

Remember this thread has to be more functional than anything else.

Question: This ENB mod is just adding a post process filter or is adding ambient occlusion? The real benefit i see it's for the AO but it always have a big performance hit. When it just applies a color palette, in my opinion, it's not worthed the decrease in performance.

Sorry this is the first time I have ever attempted to mod anything. Will try not to disappoint again :)

I force AF through enbseries.ini with the ForceAnisotropicFiltering setting. The creator recommends doing this instead of doing it on a driver level if his SSAO is being used.

Skyrim Enhanced Shaders was an older ENB based mod I was using, I just never changed that line back.

I didn't even think of that bFloatPointRenderTarget setting as being the culprit for the lighting. Good to know!

Yeah it changed everything. Do the video settings at the beginning of the game actually change anything now?

Sorry this is the first time I have ever attempted to mod anything. Will try not to disappoint again :)
Was not directed at you or anyone in particular :)

The ENB series is somewhat a "temperamental" mod, since it gives different results to different people. On one hand a person is satisfied with the results and other isnt, but neither provide a vanilla screen shot so the other people that might be interested in the mod can appreciate the difference properly.

So the suggestion was that we could get this a bit more organized. Maybe posting a before and after screenshot with the settings and have the FPS counter to measure the hit. I think we would benefit more this way.

TheExecutive - Those settings will still change things. Ideally you should get it set up how you want and then set your ini to read-only so the launcher doesn't override any settings if it decides to auto-detect hardware. It may change that value back to 0, for example.

Here are some comparisons I took, sans fps counter:

comparison029nqeh.jpg

comparison05adoql.jpg

comparison01vfq52.jpg

TheExecutive - Those settings will still change things. Ideally you should get it set up how you want and then set your ini to read-only so the launcher doesn't override any settings if it decides to auto-detect hardware. It may change that value back to 0, for example.

comparison029nqeh.jpg

comparison05adoql.jpg

comparison01vfq52.jpg
Fantastic post, now in my case i can gauge properly what the mod is doing.

I like the AO but i prefer the color in the original ones. Also it seem too "over expose" things.

So every 5 seconds my ground shadows do a "dance" what the hell is that about?

Seems to be all shadows...
The shadows are realtime, and the 'sun' moves in the sky every few seconds.

Fantastic post, now in my case i can gauge properly what the mod is doing.

I like the AO but i prefer the color in the original ones. Also it seem too "over expose" things.
So basically you're saying it looks shit. I agree. These mods are a joke.

So basically you're saying it looks shit. I agree. These mods are a joke.
Well i wouldn't be that absolute about it because some people like that "look". Like some prefer to have tons of specular in their textures for that "vaseline"spread appearance.

The only game where ENB kicks ass is GTAIV, for Bethesda games i think the bad outweighs the good.

I have to agree I've seen very few ENB shots that actually look good. And the ones that do look good, usually apply pretty selectively to that screenshot's subject matter, then look as bad elsewhere as most other shots. The trend to Skyrim graphical tweaking seems to be BLOOM BLOOM SATURATE BLOOM SATURATE BLOOM BLOOM, with a dash of WASHED OUT now with ENB. Personally I'm quite happy with the original visual aesthetic (with a tiny bit of color correction), but hey, it's all opinion!

Enco

comparison029nqeh.jpg

comparison05adoql.jpg
I much prefer the natural colours.

The building in the second picture on the left looks great with ENB but the brightness is too much.

Karak

The original idea of making dragons king of the hill again and adding some unique dragon loot is really nice, but the execution is sooooo poor that it just become ridiculous :(

It's like they took the most out of place armors and dragon retex, and put it all together ...

Did but no longer requires the armor.

Back to Mods.

After playing with the Normal and bump map mods yesterday that I posted, I still think they are the best improvements I have seen in some time. Really adds depth to the textures in cities, roads, and towns.

Now one thing I really want is for them to mod in some bits outside of the main landmass. Can't wait for the construction set.

I'm sick of how people say things don't look because "in real life" things don't look like that.

Tell me... when have you had a time "in real life" to compare an experience with your eyes to anything you've seen on the screen.

The point of it is NOT to emulate life as such, but more so to emulate the 'feeling' of living during the Elder Scrolls Era (if one such era existed). We must ALWAYS remember that it's never about a replication of real life but rather a replication of what a lens is picking up of real life... at least that's how I see everything on TV anyway. There can always be added artistic effects to make things better.

In many ways, graphics in games and movies have surpassed real-life - by far. I mean, the special effects in some movies have very little discernible difference from real and not real, but it's all enhanced to LOOK better to the viewer and in my opinion that's the goal of graphics design, to use artwork to construct something that looks better than real life could ever or has ever supplied because it's fiction.

This is one of the things that I feel that Gears of War has done and given a negative to the gaming industry, while the look is very artistic if you average out any screenshot from virtually any part of that game you'll get a range of hues from black to brown to dark blue. Yes there are other colours in there sure, but the average scene colour is just brown. This obsession with "we've got to make it look more like real life" I feel needs to STOP.

Use things from life for inspiration to make quality for textures, but by gee, Skyrim is not a 'real' looking game, it's completely fansical and to my eyes it looks 1000x better with slightly blurry and or glowing grass and leaves at certain depth ranges, as long as it's a depth of field effect and not vaseline - there is a balance between going too far of course.

It's all about balance, but for some reason it really tickles my
LLShC.gif
when people say "it doesn't look real" or "you don't see trees looking like that in real life". Because I always feel like saying "so you've seen a dragon before?" it's cheeky because of course, it's a different point of reference, but it's all art.

I better shut up now.

This post is in no way directed at any one in particular and is coated in flame retardant material.

Confidence - why don't you use effect.txt?

I'm wondering whether I should straight copy your config straight on and see how it goes or just change my enbseries.ini values to suit.

I feel like the things that I've got going on in my effect.txt are helping out.

Either way I've got to see what yours looks by default so I'll go there, and I'll come back.

See you on the flip side guys ;)

This is one of the things that I feel that Gears of War has done and given a negative to the gaming industry, while the look is very artistic if you average out any screenshot from virtually any part of that game you'll get a range of hues from black to brown to dark blue. Yes there are other colours in there sure, but the average scene colour is just brown. This obsession with "we've got to make it look more like real life" I feel needs to STOP.
The ENB mod makes Skyrim look much more like Gears 3 than vanilla does.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The ENB mod makes Skyrim look much more like Gears 3 than vanilla does.
I agree. Still preferring the vanilla look at this time except in a few minor instances. Like...

First comparison looks way too bright and there seems to be detail loss. It hits me wrong. As I said before, I wish there was a tool that let you adjust various parts of the scene or even place more/less lighting in a desired section of world. Sounds off base but for the most part, results have not sold me. The effort put in and such to find a happy mid point is appreciated though.

The second comparison, I like the look of the ENB there. I personally don't like the too dark look though. I know where ColonialRaptor is coming from but the look and alteration of things does have its limits. In most cases it's too extreme and not necessarily less real but certainly too heightened in contrast or other things. So you can have real and more fantasy like over the top but with discretion. As I said, most of the time it's on the extreme side and performance is less.

Karak

I agree. Still preferring the vanilla look at this time except in a few minor instances. Like...

I think for me the horridness of the Skyrim shots is just magnified by how well this modification looks in say GTA4 when done right. Yes different game. I am just saying I saw that and then you see Skyrim modified and its terrible colors and incredibly bad lighting precision and it dawns on you that a ton of work is needed to even get it back to acceptable let alone actually looking good. Being honest Skyrim looks pretty damn amazing vanilla which means the chance of screwing it up is even higher when you start playing with settings.

And I am sure it will look that good soon.

I am also not talking about people wanting unique hues and stuff either I am talking about detail loss, all kinds of lighting issues, and just frankly bad settings. I have full confidence it, or another program of its type, will come forward and offer whatever people want. I know I can't wait till that happens because having seen ENB elsewhere...da-damn its amazing.

In the ENB mod I would love if they hot-keyed all the adjustements to keys on your numpad so you could literally change them on the fly then stream-save to the ini. Would make everything much easier as well as maybe making a button for dungeons and a button for outside.

It's definitely a balancing act due to the way lighting and texturing is done, but generally I just don't think vanilla looks very good mainly due to the consistency of the image, rectifying which was my main goal with that config.

Take the comparison pic I made of Whiterun, the scene doesn't make any visual sense to me with the vanilla lighting. The relative luminance of the sky, ground, and objects are completely off and don't translate into a believable scene. The building on the right, for example, the wood beam with the dragon's head doesn't even look like it's exposed to the sun, it's the same shade as side of the building in the shade. Same with the stone walls, especially the one on the left side of the image. The ground looks barely lit, the grass is nearly grey, the little rocks on the side of the walk are barely reflecting any light. Same for the character. And this is the brightest it ever gets in the game, other times of day look even more drab without pushing the intensities up.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Weird issue I'm having. For some reason, ever since installing Realistic Lighting Without Post-Processing, my Enhanced Night Skyrim stars seem to be less pronounced. Any idea why this is? They seem blurrier and less crisp, too. I used to have only the Darker Nights esp installed from the Realistic Lighting mod, and it looked great along with the stars mod, but I recently activated both the Darker Nights and Realistic Lighting full.esps, and it seems like it's fucking with the stars. I can't figure out why.

snoopen

Is there a mod for auto running? like in WoW i could press 'num lock' to change between walk/run and i just had to move, not hold down the run button + direct.

NIN90

Is there a mod for auto running? like in WoW i could press 'num lock' to change between walk/run and i just had to move, not hold down the run button + direct.

There is an auto run key. Don't know the default key mapping tho.

I just don't reckon ENB is worth the performance hit.

Right now Im playing with alot of texture mods with everything maxed out at 1920x1080 and thanks to that skyboost r3 program Im getting almost constant 60fps.

But when trying ENB mods my framerate gets down to about 30-40 and fluxuates.

I just perfer the smoothness of almost allways 60fps.

And my system uses a gtx590 and core i7 920 at 3.8ghz so it's not my hardware thats really lacking it's the mod.

Am I the only one whos like this?

Orlandu84

I just don't reckon ENB is worth the performance hit.

Right now Im playing with alot of texture mods with everything maxed out at 1920x1080 and thanks to that skyboost r3 program Im getting almost constant 60fps.

But when trying ENB mods my framerate gets down to about 30-40 and fluxuates.

I just perfer the smoothness of almost allways 60fps.

And my system uses a gtx590 and core i7 920 at 3.8ghz so it's not my hardware thats really lacking it's the mod.

Am I the only one whos like this?

You are not alone. I played around with ENB, and I also found that it is too much of a performance hit for me. I spent several hours flipping between different combinations of ENB, FXAA Post Process Injector, Realistic Lighting Without Post Process, and Skyrim Enhanced Shaders only to return to my original setup (Skyrim Enhanced Shaders and FXAA Post Process Injector). I loose about 5 fps on average and get the lighting effects that I like. I should learn not to over mod, but I doubt that lesson will stick in my head;)

I was wondering why no one responded to my post in the original thread, i guess everyone moved here and I missed the memo. Anyways, sort of a repost because I care about what you all think.

Yadda's ENB

Screenshot67042.png

Screenshot62830.png

Screenshot72581.png

Screenshot1923.png

Tom Penny

Yadda's isn't too bad. Overall most of them are too bright for my taste in sunlight and then oversaturated other places.

Enco

cool shots:
http://h8.abload.de/img/tesv2012-01-0500-18-1a44gj.png[/IMG ]

[IMG]http://h8.abload.de/img/tesv2012-01-0500-15-21765z.png[/IM G]

noon/night comparison shots:
[url]http://www.abload.de/img/111116moku.png[/url]
[url]http://www.abload.de/img/2222fkpxk.png[/url]

[url]http://www.abload.de/img/3333e2ram.png[/url]
[url]http://www.abload.de/img/444494ol3.png[/url][/QUOTE]

Really nice shots. Not sure about the snowy day picture but the first and second shots are jaw dropping. Care to share your configs?

Really nice shots. Not sure about the snowy day picture but the first and second shots are jaw dropping. Care to share your configs?
Basic stuff there: v11 of this enb, and fxaa injector for sharpening/tonemap/technicolor, with the mods lush trees/grass and Vurt's skyrim flora overhaul. The stars are of Enhanced Skies.

Whats up with the odd glowing/blurry effect in the screenshots? Or is it just me?
The blurriness isn't just you, that's where the FXAA Injector's sharpening comes in. Also most of the shots there are of old releases, he greatly reduced that haze/glowing later on.

Enco

The blurriness isn't just you, that's where the FXAA Injector's sharpening comes in. Also most of the shots there are of old releases, he greatly reduced that haze/glowing later on.
Ah right ok thanks.

I'll give it a shot when I get access to my comp again.

I added skyboost and it doesnt do a thing. Maybe a frame or two a second... I added the " Copy "dinput8.dll" and "SkyBoost.asi" from "bin" folder to Skyrim dir" and still nothing. Anything else I need to do?

I have an i5 2500k that supports sse...

LiquidMetal14

I added skyboost and it doesnt do a thing. Maybe a frame or two a second... I added the " Copy "dinput8.dll" and "SkyBoost.asi" from "bin" folder to Skyrim dir" and still nothing. Anything else I need to do?

I have an i5 2500k that supports sse...

You got lots of background apps running? If SkyBoost doesn't help then try TESVAL. It may do more for you like it's doing for the minority. In most cases, SkyBoost helps a lot more than TESVAL so try that too before losing hope.

Also, try OC'ing that CPU. I got mine to 4.7ghz a few weeks back and it's rock steady.

Absinthe

Didn't see this thread before, moved my post here as it's more relevant in this thread.

Decided to try ENB using Confidence Man's config. Brings my FPS from a solid 60 down to 30-60 depending on the situation, looks so good it might be worth it. All images downsampled from 2560x1440

tesv2012-01-0321-59-08lr90.png

tesv2012-01-0322-36-3xxpky.png

If someone is fixing ugrids to default via console commands, check afterwards if it has created a new skyrim.ini in the data folder. Removing it helped solve alot of "unexplained" crap.

Enco

The best thing about your settings Confidence Man are definitely the cities. They looks amazing at night.

I agree with you about how the lighting in the vanilla game is pretty awful. ENB overdoes it in some places though. Wish it could look like GTA IV with ENB.

LiquidMetal14

Mind thumbnail linking a few pics up there a couple posts up? As usual, good looking but I would go more hog wild in the PC screenshot thread.

You got lots of background apps running? If SkyBoost doesn't help then try TESVAL. It may do more for you like it's doing for the minority. In most cases, SkyBoost helps a lot more than TESVAL so try that too before losing hope.

Also, try OC'ing that CPU. I got mine to 4.7ghz a few weeks back and it's rock steady.

I got mine to 4.4Ghz but havent pushed it further. 4.7 is a pretty good CPU...

I'm tweaking a newer version atm, a little less bright with a few other changes. Then I'm probably done until Boris releases a new of ENB with new features or the CK comes out. There's only so much you can do with postprocessing.

Dizzy-4U

I have "Skyrim HD" as my main texture mod. Would you guys recommend throwing another texture mod on top of that, like "Serious HD"? I'm not talking about armor, food, weapons, etc., but the mods that replace some of the textures Skyrim HD uses.

Top Bottom