• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamcast games of 2017

Korso

Still my most favorite console ever. Mostly due to nostalgia.

I remember playing Shenmue for the first time and thinking "there's no way graphics can get better than this"

BANGS

Banned
Still my most favorite console ever. Mostly due to nostalgia.

I remember playing Shenmue for the first time and thinking "there's no way graphics can get better than this"

December 25th, 2000 was the day I got to play the long awaited Shenmue. I remember just, just not being ready... I had seen screenshots galore in EGM leading up to the day I could play it, but I had never seen any video. The opening cutscene alone blew my mind, not to mention the first time I went to Tomato Mart...

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What’s this “Dreamcast is still having games launched for it” are they actual releases or stuff you got to tinker with in bios and emulators?

BANGS

Banned
What’s this “Dreamcast is still having games launched for it” are they actual releases or stuff you got to tinker with in bios and emulators?

As long as you have a revision 0 or revision 1 console(basically so long as it has MIL-CD support), which are the most common, the games should work without any extra effort.

But no they are not official releases as this console technically died when Japan stopped supporting in in 2007 or whenever that last game was(REALLY died in 2001 but W/E). These are unofficial releases that take advantage of Dreamcast's MIL-CD support in order to fool the system into playing them...

Shifty

The Dreamcast boot animation is one of the best of all time imo.

Saturn is up there too, but something about the DC's made a real impact on kid me.

BANGS

Banned
The Dreamcast boot animation is one of the best of all time imo.

Saturn is up there too, but something about the DC's made a real impact on kid me.

Yeah it's easily my favorite. The only one that comes close in style is Gamecube, but those sounds effects are goofy and ruin it for me...

AmyS

Amazing console.

If Sega was still making hardware, we'd be playing the equivalent of Dreamcast 4 or Dreamcast 5.

I'm not sure why the Dreamcast has been this console that gets attention for unofficial releases years after the release. I mean Virtual Boy has been doing the same for far as many years, with physical releases too. In fact Insecticide released last month:

insecticide-cib.jpg

FN-2187

I'm gonna buy one of these soon. I hear I should play shenmue and jet grind/set radio. What else?

Off the top of my head, the games I go back to the most are:

Hydro Thunder
Dynamite Cop
Sonic Adventure
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Power Stone
Daytona USA
Soul Calibur
Ready 2 Rumble
Bust-a-Move 4
NFL 2K2
NHL 2K2
NBA Showtime
Sega Bass Fishing (if you have the Fishing controller)
Star Wars Racer
Star Wars Jedi Power Battles (this game is a janky mess, but I love it)

Lots of others. Sega and Capcom in particular were at the top of their game.

kunonabi

Flashback on the dreamcast sounds like a match made in heaven. I cant believe im just now hearing about it.

No other game has given me the feeling I got from playing Shenmue for the first time. I'll always love the dreamcast for that.

I'm definitely getting Flashback. I wish they'd make a similar collection for Another World.

SpiceRacz

No other game has given me the feeling I got from playing Shenmue for the first time. I'll always love the dreamcast for that.

Right there with you on that. It's probably a top 3 game for me and possibly my favorite gaming experience. I played it on release and haven't touched it since.

I know I can never capture that experience ever again.

Metzhara

Off the top of my head, the games I go back to the most are:

Hydro Thunder
Dynamite Cop
Sonic Adventure
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Power Stone
Daytona USA
Soul Calibur
Ready 2 Rumble
Bust-a-Move 4
NFL 2K2
NHL 2K2
NBA Showtime
Sega Bass Fishing (if you have the Fishing controller)
Star Wars Racer
Star Wars Jedi Power Battles (this game is a janky mess, but I love it)

Lots of others. Sega and Capcom in particular were at the top of their game.

Mars Matrix
Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm
Metropolis Street Racer
Tokyo Extreme Racer (1 and 2)
+Add any Midway Arcade title here (Including Gauntlet Legends)
+Add any Sega Arcade title here
+Add any Capcom Arcade title here
Berserk
Grandia 2
Record of the Lodoss War

This is my list (I know, I cheated with the Arcade bits but... DAMN they looked good!)

I'm not sure why the Dreamcast has been this console that gets attention for unofficial releases years after the release. I mean Virtual Boy has been doing the same for far as many years, with physical releases too. In fact Insecticide released last month:

insecticide-cib.jpg

It's because the Virtual Boy deserved to die but the Dreamcast didn't. It's not rocket science. Sega was an incompetent single mother who gave birth to a genius who ended up working in a factory and cutting his life short... much to the dismay of those who had the fortune of knowing him during his short life. You will never be forgotten Dreamcast. No rest in peace for you though, you're destined to keep playing homebrew indie games damnit. You serve us indie developers now.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Whats the point?

The active install base cant be more then 10,000

They should realese there games on ps4,x1 and switch so more ppl can play them

BANGS

Banned
I'm not sure why the Dreamcast has been this console that gets attention for unofficial releases years after the release. I mean Virtual Boy has been doing the same for far as many years, with physical releases too.

Because Dreamcast is a good console that people actually still own and play without straining their neck lol. Very few people actually play Virtual Boy...

I'm gonna buy one of these soon. I hear I should play shenmue and jet grind/set radio. What else?

http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/p/the-top-200.html

Whats the point?

The active install base cant be more then 10,000

They should realese there games on ps4,x1 and switch so more ppl can play them

Alot of these modern Dreamcast projects are coming to modern consoles or at least a variety of retro consoles. It's just a way to grab a few more sales from a niche easy market, as opposed to having trouble making any sales in a flooded competitive market...

Top Bottom