• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy Lin: Asian American, Harvard Grad... NBA great?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Row

Banned
lol damn why do people feel so threatened? did we hit your dog? would you go into a politics, npd, or tech thread without knowing wtf you're talking about and feel bad after getting called out?

Every time I've lurked the NBA-GAF threads over the years I've been offput by how agressive and smug a small but vocal group of guys sitting at home liveblogging games on their computer are towards new posters.

Sharp

Every time I've lurked the NBA-GAF threads over the years I've been offput by how agressive and smug a small but vocal group of guys sitting at home liveblogging games on their computer are towards new posters.
It's not so much new posters as people who stop by briefly to post about their team when they're doing well, call themselves lifelong fans, ask to be included in infographics on who roots for which team, and then disappear when the team is bounced from the playoffs, never to be heard from again.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
You are either trolling, or far out of your depth, and in either case, just stop.

he's trolling the fuck out of you.

tell ryutaro's mama to eat a dick and move on. most people that come in hostile get shamed out, banned, or end up as driveby posters.

"who the fuck are you?"

has been a greeting in nba-age for years.

I thought he was joking with that comment no?
I really hope so? I don't post in NBA-gaf, I don't know who's who.

Since I read 538 for the politics, I saw the article on Lin and I think this is the main takeaway:

Nate Silver said:
So perhaps the list of 41 players above is a roughly appropriate guide to Lin’s possible futures. That would imply that there was about a one-in-four chance that Lin really was going to be a superstar, and about a one-in-four chance that he was an average (or worse) player on an incredible hot streak. That would leave a 50 percent chance that he was somewhere in the middle — a clearly above-average player who would make several All-Star teams in his career.
So that's cool. Eventually people will shut up about it. Can't wait.

edit: I have been trolled.

dream

I am friendly and welcoming. Come talk to me in there.

ShdwDrake

Banned
The nonchalant racism surrounding Lin is pretty amusing too

yellomamba-480x358.jpg

What racism?

guy with no jumpshot who can only drive to his right is suddenly a great player?

lin is not bad. he is a better defender than most give him credit for. he's more athletic than many give him credit for. he makes good decisions on the court. he is a good rebounder for his position. he's a solid player. let's see how he adjusts once teams figure out how to play him (go under on screens, force him to his left, make him take jumpshots, etc.) and once he cools off a bit.

maybe I am wrong, but I don't see Lin as anything but a marginal starter/good bench PG at the moment. I'll need to see him play more before I truly make up my mind. maybe he is smart enough to overcome his serious deficiencies?

at least he gives the knicks some hope. lol @ amare fraudemie and crymello anthony ushering in the New York Knicks' latest era of overpaid for one-dimensional players. it's marbury-francis-crawford all over again, except at the forward positions. enjoy another 20 years of irrelevance.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Are people really not familar with yellow peril?

Whatever, a questionable sign may not have been a good example but you do you have shit like this:

photo(21).jpg

Yellow mamba thing wasn't a good example. But yes he has dealt with a lot of racism. There has always been an undercurrent of racism towards asian men when it comes to sports in general.

Not even close. This guy seems smart, and quiet and Im really glad an intelligent quiet person is doing great in the NBA. He's not a circus, he does what gotta be done

why? Because he's asian? Went to harvard? Also the NBA is full of guys that "do what's gotta be done". There's as much great, young talent in the league now as there has ever been, yet people make it seem like every player is Stephen Jackson or something.

entremet

As a long suffering Knicks fan--Ewing, Mason, Starks, Riley thuggery hit squad days--his success, coupled with the team recent streak has been a nice pick me up.

I just want to make the playoffs at the least. I'm not deluded thinking we'll make it to the finals. Hopefully, the Knicks can resign him long term.

Superman00

Liverpool01
why? Because he's asian? Went to harvard? Also the NBA is full of guys that "do what's gotta be done". There's as much great, young talent in the league now as there has ever been, yet people make it seem like every player is Stephen Jackson or something.

So name me some players that went to college without a scholarship and made to the NBA.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
So name me some players that went to college without a scholarship and made to the NBA.

lol you really want to play the whole "tell me about shit i have no clue about or you're wrong!" card right now? the nba, nfl, mlb, and every professional league in the world has a substantial number of players, good players too, that were denied athletic scholarships at some point during their collegiate career.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Speaking of stereotypical signs:

jeremy-lin-fans-0537.jpg

Pretty much the equivalent of being asked, "You're Asian, you know karate and kung-fu, amirite?"

numble

guy with no jumpshot who can only drive to his right is suddenly a great player?

lin is not bad. he is a better defender than most give him credit for. he's more athletic than many give him credit for. he makes good decisions on the court. he is a good rebounder for his position. he's a solid player. let's see how he adjusts once teams figure out how to play him (go under on screens, force him to his left, make him take jumpshots, etc.) and once he cools off a bit.

maybe I am wrong, but I don't see Lin as anything but a marginal starter/good bench PG at the moment. I'll need to see him play more before I truly make up my mind. maybe he is smart enough to overcome his serious deficiencies?

at least he gives the knicks some hope. lol @ amare fraudemie and crymello anthony ushering in the New York Knicks' latest era of overpaid for one-dimensional players. it's marbury-francis-crawford all over again, except at the forward positions. enjoy another 20 years of irrelevance.
Shut up Morey.

Superman00

Liverpool01
lol you really want to play the whole "tell me about shit i have no clue about or you're wrong!" card right now? the nba, nfl, mlb, and every professional league in the world has a substantial number of players, good players too, that were denied athletic scholarships at some point during their collegiate career.

I clearly stated NBA, have I not? So tell me the players, and I'm not playing any card or whatever BS your trying to say. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong.

watershed

Banned
I hope Lin develops into a better pure point guard going forward especially when Melo and Amare come back. Right now he's taking too many shots and being a little careless with the ball. He should be a pass first, drive and kick out kind of player.

Al-ibn Kermit

I don't get why the Asian part is even surprising. He's 6 foot 3 which obviously makes him pretty tall in general but it's not like he's Yao Ming, who's over a foot taller.

And I don't really follow sports but I would guess that an Ivy League school probably has a decent basketball team, therefore they would probably graduate a proportionally high number of athletes who get drafted into the NBA.

The impressive part is that he got into Harvard without any scholarship and that he was undrafted out of college. He kind of flew under the radar and now he's raised his profile suddenly with a couple good games in a row.

numble

And I don't really follow sports but I would guess that an Ivy League school probably has a decent basketball team, therefore they would probably graduate a proportionally high number of athletes who get drafted into the NBA.
There hasn't been a Harvard player in the NBA in over 50 years.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The impressive part is that he got into Harvard without any scholarship
Well, he only went there because it was one of the very few Division I schools offering him guaranteed playing time - and this was after he was the named California player of the year coming out of high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom