• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshitoshi ABe Community: Everyone Is Connected

Going to buy Lain on blu-ray soon myself. My favorite show. Also, Texhnolyze fans, you are not alone. That show is fantastic, but excuse my ignorance...is that show coming to blu-ray anytime soon too?

RightStuf has the Lain set for preorder. $54 if you preorder right now. There's going to be a gift for people who preorder.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/mD8CfSQf1Y6whw1WkE/browse/item/96150/4/0/0

Does RightStuf still send out their catalog every few months if you buy something from them?
Just preordered, thanks for the tip! If the gift is lame I'll just cancel and go with Amazon, as I'm sure they'll be cheaper!

As for their catalog, yup! Just got one in the mail a couple weeks ago!

Vinci

Danish
Didn't see this thread before. Just wanted to toss in my vote that Haibane Renmei is an amazing fucking anime. Between the characters, environment, creepiness, and the Ootani score, it's very moving while acting with subtlety almost the entire time. Very difficult balance to achieve and it does it enormously well.

I am less enthralled by his other works, but each is very distinctive and memorable in its own right.

B.K.

Haibane Renmei is being released September 4.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/QQF4CSJHqirFX-zWdY/browse/item/95452/4/0/0

Everyone needs to see that show.

Lain info:

gpCkX.jpg

We've been getting a lot of questions about the Lain Blu-ray, it's not an up-res, it is native HD. They actually went back and remastered the whole series, we even have a 24 page restoration booklet (along with a 320 page artbook) included with our release.

http://animecornerstore.blogspot.com/2012/08/upcoming-lain-bd-to-be-native-hd-not.html

LiK

love his art. met him in person at Otakon 2000 and got my stuff signed and took a pic of him. very talented dude.

Lain was amazing.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, I can confirm that art in the booklet is unreleased stuff. I own Omnipresence, and I don't recognize those sketches.

I think the cover illustration of Lain on the steps with the headphones is new, too.

Can't wait.

Necrovex

Oh man, when I have more money, I'm getting this boxset. I am in love with the show, but I don't have the spare funds to buy such an expensive set. :-(

EVOL 100%

Still no updates on Despera huh :(

I can't watch most of the anime I enjoyed a few years ago without cringing, but I still find all of the anime that ABe worked on immaculate. Yes, even Niea_7.

I'm going to have to pickup that Lain boxset soon. The footage of the blu-ray remasters that I saw looked amazing.

Staab

He's a pretty cool guy but extremely shy, I love his work (art wise at least) and have fond memories of meeting him.
We had him come over to Switzerland for an AnimeCon we created in 2005 and he was accompanied by his friend and manager who was the one doing all the talking.
We had two people speaking japanese on our team (basic level but enough to hold normal conversations) and ABe-sensei was just very closed off, albeit very friendly in his manners.

We had some pretty cool autographs with personalized drawings, I have them up on my wall ever since.

Fun fact: he loves bathing, we went to the mountains to show him around,crossed a SPA type of business with open-air baths and he was bent on going there even though he had no gear, lol.
Had to buy him some for everyone but it was fun to be in the swimming pool with that guy.

cj_iwakura

Just got my Lain Blu-Ray. The art book is not the same as Omnipresence, thankfully.

It's all line art from the series production. Wonderful, intricate stuff.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Chiaki Konaka, a frequent ABe collaborator, was responsible for the core story and series outline, and would go on to work with ABe on many other projects.

Their next trip together was... well, a bit different.
Konaka didn't work on NieA, as far as I know. Also, worth pointing out that it's also based on a doujin written by ABe.

Nice thread. Despera will come, never give up hope!

cj_iwakura

Konaka didn't work on NieA, as far as I know. Also, worth pointing out that it's also based on a doujin written by ABe.

Nice thread. Despera will come, never give up hope!

Yep, you're right. Written by Takuya Sato. Ah well.

I can't fathom that all these talented people in the ABe camp don't have something going on. Did the director ever recover? Was he that irreplaceable?

EVOL 100%

Yep, you're right. Written by Takuya Sato. Ah well.

I can't fathom that all these talented people in the ABe camp don't have something going on. Did the director ever recover? Was he that irreplaceable?

Konaka was the one who actually wrote the stories excluding Haibane Renmei, no?

He probably never got to finish the script.

cj_iwakura

Konaka was the one who actually wrote the stories excluding Haibane Renmei, no?

He probably never got to finish the script.

Konaka wrote Lain, Texhnolyze(pretty sure, anyway), and was definitely in for Despera. I'd imagine a lot of script work is done if not complete. Things fell apart in pre-production as I understand it.

The UFO addict with the laptop in NieA_7 was based on him.

nny

I like his art a lot (I love the "omnipresence in wired" artbook - still have to get NieA_7's artbook). I have also enjoyed the anime I've seen that he's worked on (still need to watch Texhnolyze).

Lain Bluray set seems really nice...however, I did pay around 100€ for the DVD box, so the appetite to double dip diminishes! A 320-page artbook though...

Oh well, I wouldn't be able to play the Blurays anyway; I need to find a way to play region A Blurays. (lol, I can't even watch that unpacking youtube video - "not available in your country" - go region locking! :|)

cj_iwakura

I like his art a lot (I love the "omnipresence in wired" artbook - still have to get NieA_7's artbook). I have also enjoyed the anime I've seen that he's worked on (still need to watch Texhnolyze).

Lain Bluray set seems really nice...however, I did pay around 100€ for the DVD box, so the appetite to double dip diminishes! A 320-page artbook though...

Oh well, I wouldn't be able to play the Blurays anyway; I need to find a way to play region A Blurays. (lol, I can't even watch that unpacking youtube video - "not available in your country" - go region locking! :|)

It comes with a DVD set too, but I'm not sure if it looks as good as the BRs, restoration wise.

And if this is viewable in your country, hopefully it lessens the sting.

nny

Because of this thread I searched around in my computer and found a bunch of ABe stuff. Here's a silly example:

1177407861738.png

Despera

Banned
I'm no collector, but I'm definitely getting the Lain Bluray set as well as Haibane Renmei's whenever it's made available. Love that shit.

Already have the Texhnolyze DVD set, but haven't watched more than a couple of episodes. I love cyberpunk though so I'll give it another go once I'm in the mood.

Shame about Despera. A real shame.

cj_iwakura

Two episodes into Lain Rebuild.

I knew the visuals would be ace, and they are, but my god, that sound design.

Put this in surround if you can. Enjoy.

B.K.

The Lain boxset is apparently discontinued now. A regular edition without the artbook is coming soon.

Superflat

Serial Experiments Lain and Haibane Renmei are both amazing, amazing shows. They don't appeal to everyone but they're both masterfully created in nearly every aspect.

I always loved ABe's designs. He's one of my main inspirations for having an art career.

Dwayne

Disappointing that the Lain Blu-ray's are region locked :( I don't buy a lot of blu-rays so I haven't invested in an unlocked player yet, will have to stick to the DVD's for now.

Top Bottom