• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PewPewK

You do understand that they are testing the game, right? Not just kicking it on for a few hours for everyone to poke around and have fun, right? They'll be up when ANet is ready for the test to begin, I would imagine.

Also, Stress Test is under NDA. Just sayin'

First of all, I'm joking with all of you about the blunder part. ;)

Second, anyone going to /vg/ could tell everyone is flipping shit you don't even have to be in the beta to know that.

Third, you can also tell the servers are not up by trying to login to your pre-purchase account as it says "Beta is not currently running."

Fourth, the forums are down/slow/intermittently coming up.

So is there any reason that I wouldn't be able to register with my GW2 key that I got from pre-purchasing on the GW2 website to my NCSoft account? It says that it's invalid or something.

You can only register GW2 at http://register.guildwars2.com/

Great video. I don't know how people can say that Mesmer is dumped down. Just fucking look at it. It ain't that simple as keyboard warriors are making it out to be.

Great demonstration. The PvP in the second part was really, really exciting. When you kill the powerful NPC chieften what exactly do you get? is a buff or something (never played League of Legends!)?

What exactly did he mean with the Public PvP being able to be scaled to 10v10 but not the competitive?

Is what he means - The rankings. The tournament run games and such. They will be up to 5v5 - but the public games - they are the lobby games created by the player?

so this looked fucking crazy and it was just 2v2 or something. So with 10v10 we can basically host our own guild matches... and public games can be password protected too?

I just read the official forum guidelines. THEY ARE AMAZING:D

I laughed out so loud. So many people are going to get banned. your not allowed to do /petitions, call out arenanet employees, demand an answer, make a thread about "Anet favors elementalists"!
In fact your not allowed to make any claims about what ArenaNet prefers - which is fair, because players can never know, only troll for dramatic effect.

"blue plz" threads are not allowed, and they have the right to ban you for whatever annoying thing you might do. If they can enforce this, GW2s official forum might not become a disaster. We can only hope they are up to the challenge.

there are no mounts in guild wars 2 at the moment
It would have been cool tough,
how doesn't want to ride in this:

vHvqO.jpg

Not me. All mounts look the same, they pop out of thin air, break immersion. they suck. people use them to run away and break the action.

if they can implant them in a cool way then yeah. something that serves gameplay, then okay. But look at WoW. screw that stupid shit. being in a town is unbearable because mounts are blocking the screen. and its really lame ones too. like yellow dragons and pokemon creatures and flying carpets and motorcycles. might as well rebrand that game ronald mcdonalds butthole, because that's what it looks like.

They would need total mount customization so every player mount would look unique, it should have gameplay challenges, you should not just be able to magically make it appear out of your backpack. so it should be stored somewhere in the world. it shouldnt be able to aimlessly just be able to auto-aggro mobs and chase them into town.

The problem with mounts and flying mounts ultimately is that its a luxury that makes you stop exploring the the world at a certain pace. once you got mounts your going to mount to just go somewhere 500 feet longer down the road. your not going to explore every cranny and thing. so people become more fast and loose, and thats not good, because you want engaged players who fill up the world, not running quickly through the world at 300% speed increase on a copy pasted orange cat that looks like every other cat model with different skins.

another problem is the scale. once you start riding a horse on fire or a dragon the size of a two story building, your sort of at a peak. it gets hard to top, and you would need rocket engines, and actual charr cranes to top it. many MMOs suffer from this over-itemization of having to 1up themselves constantly. Less is more.

Maybe they can do it, but goddamit is mounts some seriously stupid nonsense in other games. mounts are good for trolling. good for standing inside the mail box, or running in circles on top of the auction house, or ruin the jumping mount animation mid combat to make some sort of flying ashleee simposons dance.

Jayge

I'm not sure this solution is superior to just requiring people to have unique names. I'd rather have to choose something else than be Hawkian.6540 (I think, I already forget mine) just because of some impostor out there.

Funny, this. I'm Imposter.1986. Dead serious.

However, people should note that these names will never appear in-game. It's an account name for the official forums and (potentially, unless they require e-mail) signing in to the servers. Your character names are all individual little snowflakes that cast beautiful unique rainbows of creatively original pleasure to everyone who reads them for all time once you get into Tyria.

Arol

Wait what? The ingame name is going to have numbers if its not unique?

No matter how unique I make my name it seems someone is going to troll me by using the same name on an empty character slot. I know a couple of my friends would do it.

Complistic

The name everyone sees when you're running around is going to be your characters name. If they want to add you as a friend or maybe message you they could see the 4 numbers if your name isn't unique on the server

Or thats how I understand it.

Jayge

Wait what? The ingame name is going to have numbers if its not unique?

No matter how unique I make my name it seems someone is going to troll me by using the same name on an empty character slot. I know a couple of my friends would do it.

Jesus christ. That's entirely contrary to what I just wrote. Complistic clarified. Except I don't know that account names will be used for the Friends List, given that the way it worked in the last game was fine, with the friends list entry modifying itself for the currently-logged-in character name every time they signed on to a different one.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Funny, this. I'm Imposter.1986. Dead serious.

However, people should note that these names will never appear in-game. It's an account name for the official forums and (potentially, unless they require e-mail) signing in to the servers. Your character names are all individual little snowflakes that cast beautiful unique rainbows of creatively original pleasure to everyone who reads them for all time once you get into Tyria.
And our GW1 character names are reserved for us, right? :D

Arol

Jesus christ. That's entirely contrary to what I just wrote. Complistic clarified. Except I don't know that account names will be used for the Friends List, given that the way it worked in the last game was fine, with the friends list entry modifying itself for the currently-logged-in character name every time they signed on to a different one.

Woah. You clearly edited it by the time I had already posted. Yes everyone will most likely be a unique snowflake.

I'm following the game very casually and only come to GAF for news on it.

I only mention it as well since it does show up in videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=I4dCoc9ppao#t=51s

EDIT: But it's probably for beta purposes as well EDIT

Jayge

Woah. You clearly edited it by the time I had already posted. Yes everyone will most likely be a unique snowflake.

I'm following the game very casually and only come to GAF for news on it.

I only mention it as well since it does show up in videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=I4dCoc9ppao#t=51s

EDIT: But it's probably for beta purposes as well EDIT

Ah, I hadn't known that anyone had posted after.

So according to that video and building off of the way they structured it initially (a mouseover showed the name you added them under) you see their usernames when offline and their character names in parentheses when they're in-game.

Saberj

Neo Member
Fourth, the forums are down/slow/intermittently coming up.

Where are the forums even at? I haven't seen mention of where it will actually be, so far. I looked through the guildwars2.com site, and I didn't see any indication it would be in any of those menus.

Jira

Word is people who pre-purchased, linked their GW1 account to their GW2 account, and weren't invited to the stress test are able to login for some reason.

Note that I believe they fixed it, but you could always try if you have the client.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Word is people who pre-purchased, linked their GW1 account to their GW2 account, and weren't invited to the stress test are able to login for some reason.

Note that I believe they fixed it, but you could always try if you have the client.

What? That's dumb. :lol

Still not working, but whatever.

mrNTE

I can't get past the Code of Conduct for the forum as my email is @ncsoft

Not worried about it as they said they would fix it, but I wonder how anyone managed to get past "Invalid Email"

Vinci

Danish
Funds are sadly tight right now, so I have to put off preordering till next week. No worries. So damn excited though.

ShaneB

Bit the bullet and finally preordered from Greenmangaming. edit: Or prepurchased I guess if we're getting technical.

edit: sigh, forgot how confusing this all was. What the hell is with this @ncsoft nonsense for my account email, I've already lost track of what my passwords are and I'm wondering where the heck the forgot passwords email are apparently going.

GAF Please help me out here: After all the pain I've had to go through to get a code, I finally got a call from EBGames today apologizing for the issues and saying that I could pick up my code instore.

Spending forever getting to the store, arriving home I think I just realized something...

I didn't get the right fucking copy did I? I'm worried to use this code as I don't think it's the pre-purchase bonus.

I registered an account, so hopefully it's fine.

Jira

So I watched that Game Informer video and you can totally spam your skills and it's totally easymode faceroll amirite guys? I mean random mobs 1-2 shotting you is SO faceroll that I'm considering canceling my prepurchase. Not to mention Jon was leveled down from 80 and he nearly died 2 times during the video, WAY too easy IMO.

People will find skill combinations that will allow you to solo Elite areas and shit. You guys remember the Sin/Ele builds for soloing the underworld and stuff?

Retro

I didn't get the right fucking copy did I? I'm worried to use this code as I don't think it's the pre-purchase bonus.

If you were able to register a pre-purchase account, then you should be in. After much hassle, welcome to the club, man!

So I watched that Game Informer video and you can totally spam your skills and it's totally easymode faceroll amirite guys? I mean random mobs 1-2 shotting you is SO faceroll that I'm considering canceling my prepurchase. Not to mention Jon was leveled down from 80 and he nearly died 2 times during the video, WAY too easy IMO.

Pre-Purchase cancelled. Going back to WoW, gotta reserve my panda names so I can E-RP in Goldshire properly.

Jira

People will find skill combinations that will allow you to solo Elite areas and shit. You guys remember the Sin/Ele builds for soloing the underworld and stuff?

This is an entirely different game where your life can't be sustained constantly like it could in GW1. Then the way skills are designed are very different from GW1 as well. Soloing the hard content is simply off the table when you can only heal yourself once every 30 seconds and dodge twice in succession. I could see possibly soloing a single hard mob or something, but multiple mobs in say a dungeon or elite event setting isn't going to happen.

Teknoman

I just read the official forum guidelines. THEY ARE AMAZING:D

I laughed out so loud. So many people are going to get banned. your not allowed to do /petitions, call out arenanet employees, demand an answer, make a thread about "Anet favors elementalists"!
In fact your not allowed to make any claims about what ArenaNet prefers - which is fair, because players can never know, only troll for dramatic effect.

"blue plz" threads are not allowed, and they have the right to ban you for whatever annoying thing you might do. If they can enforce this, GW2s official forum might not become a disaster. We can only hope they are up to the challenge.

Not me. All mounts look the same, they pop out of thin air, break immersion. they suck. people use them to run away and break the action.

if they can implant them in a cool way then yeah. something that serves gameplay, then okay. But look at WoW. screw that stupid shit. being in a town is unbearable because mounts are blocking the screen. and its really lame ones too. like yellow dragons and pokemon creatures and flying carpets and motorcycles. might as well rebrand that game ronald mcdonalds butthole, because that's what it looks like.

They would need total mount customization so every player mount would look unique, it should have gameplay challenges, you should not just be able to magically make it appear out of your backpack. so it should be stored somewhere in the world. it shouldnt be able to aimlessly just be able to auto-aggro mobs and chase them into town.

The problem with mounts and flying mounts ultimately is that its a luxury that makes you stop exploring the the world at a certain pace. once you got mounts your going to mount to just go somewhere 500 feet longer down the road. your not going to explore every cranny and thing. so people become more fast and loose, and thats not good, because you want engaged players who fill up the world, not running quickly through the world at 300% speed increase on a copy pasted orange cat that looks like every other cat model with different skins.

another problem is the scale. once you start riding a horse on fire or a dragon the size of a two story building, your sort of at a peak. it gets hard to top, and you would need rocket engines, and actual charr cranes to top it. many MMOs suffer from this over-itemization of having to 1up themselves constantly. Less is more.

Maybe they can do it, but goddamit is mounts some seriously stupid nonsense in other games. mounts are good for trolling. good for standing inside the mail box, or running in circles on top of the auction house, or ruin the jumping mount animation mid combat to make some sort of flying ashleee simposons dance.

Well if they did it FF style, you'd only be able to use them in certain areas, instead of all over the place...and they wouldnt appear out of thin air. Then again even XIV now lets you call a Chocobo via a whistle and they just pop up.

Jira

Isn't it interesting how much coverage Game Informer is giving GW2 when it RARELY ever does PC coverage at all. They even have a 6 page article in the May issue, they have impressions from both press betas, they have that video released today and a podcast. That's some SERIOUS coverage from a console magazine and that speaks volumes for the types of gamers ANet is going to pull in.

This is an entirely different game where your life can't be sustained constantly like it could in GW1. Then the way skills are designed are very different from GW1 as well. Soloing the hard content is simply off the table when you can only heal yourself once every 30 seconds and dodge twice in succession. I could see possibly soloing a single hard mob or something, but multiple mobs in say a dungeon or elite event setting isn't going to happen.

Yea true, which somewhat sucks. The best part of GW1 was how much you can challenge yourself to achieve these combinations.

Torraz

GAF Please help me out here: After all the pain I've had to go through to get a code, I finally got a call from EBGames today apologizing for the issues and saying that I could pick up my code instore.

Spending forever getting to the store, arriving home I think I just realized something...

Um, my pre-purchase box is white (standard edition).

Also didn't they deliberately say that there is a difference between PRE-PURCHASE and PRE-ORDER - with PRE-ORDERS only getting 1 day head start and PRE-PURCHASE(s) getting beta access, 3 day head start, some ring (normal edition).

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Isn't it interesting how much coverage Game Informer is giving GW2 when it RARELY ever does PC coverage at all. They even have a 6 page article in the May issue, they have impressions from both press betas, they have that video released today and a podcast. That's some SERIOUS coverage from a console magazine and that speaks volumes for the types of gamers ANet is going to pull in.

Isn't there also the possibility of a console GW2 release? I thought I read somewhere that ANet is putting that possibility on the table.

I think if any MMO can bring in console games, it would be GW2. The no-monthly fee, dynamic action combat, the event system, and the competitive and casual nature of the game is unlike any other MMO out there. I usually don't say this because nine times out of ten it's hyperbole, but GW2 just may have something for everyone.

Retro

might as well rebrand that game ronald mcdonalds butthole, because that's what it looks like.

Your whole post was dead on (especially about mounts and flying mounts rendering content pointless), but I just needed to quote this specific visual because it is hilarious.

It helps that GW2 is coming out for consoles eventually (in theory).

So any kind of confirmation on the possible beta next weekend?

Next weekend or the weekend after is all we know at this point. Nothing confirmed.

Elginer

Have this preordered from GameStop not pre-purchased. Do I get any sort of headstart at all on the game? Or is it only for prepurchase?

Have this preordered from GameStop not pre-purchased. Do I get any sort of headstart at all on the game? Or is it only for prepurchase?

According to Amazon, you get 1 day headstart if you preorder instead of prepurchase, I assume this applies to gamestop as well.

Retro

As Razgriz mentioned, pre-ordering only gets you 1 day headstart while pre-purchase gets you 3.

Come on man, pay it off and join the cool gang
DqjUt.gif

Elginer

As Razazgriz mentioned, pre-ordering only gets you 1 day headstart while pre-purchase gets you 3.

Come on man, pay it off and join the cool gang
DqjUt.gif

I may just do that. Grrr... so many games this coming Fall. It's a flood of wallet crushing titles lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom