• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Zomba13

Green Scar said:
Audiosurf plz?
Sure. My steam name is zomba13 add me and I'll gift.

The_Technomancer said:
I'd like any of 1..2..3, Killing Floor or Wonderful End of the World, if you want to work out some kind of trade.

Also, I still have a Portal 1 to give away.
I'll give you Killing Floor if you can gift me the Magicka Vietnam DLC? Does that sound fair?
zomba13 on Steam.

Baha

The new banner for those infected people is interesting:

as_potatobadge2.png

MasterShotgun said:
Amnesia is by far the easiest. All you have to do is create a profile named "Casbah". The login screen will appear, enter the password "troubled memories", and you've earned a potato.

The 20 sec. Audiosurf song is probably the second easiest.

I just did this, got a "Finished downloading Amnesia content." or something... Is that it? Can I access this content somehow?

Zomba13

Accepting the invites now. Steam is running a bit slow installing/downloading all those games so bear with me >.<
Also, Portal 1 has been claimed by my cousin. He's got a new PC and it's a great intro to Valve's greatness.

Speaking of trades I'll trade Super Meat Boy for Magicka, or Amnesia or Killing Floor for Magicka Complete Pack if anyone wants em cheaper =)

Edit: Oh and if anyone wants Toki Tori for free just let me know.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
EatChildren said:
Check this. Steam profiles being hyjacked, users kicked from IRC, shit being edited.

Oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man.
So in other words Valve most likely had employees Astroturfing to help move the ARG along at a proper pace.

Zomba13 said:
OK, I decided to get the rest of the Potato sack games I was missing. Seeing as the price of the games separately was like, £1 or 2 less than the sack price, I just bought the sack meaning I have a few games to trade/give away.

I have these games to gift/trade:
1...2...3... Kick It
AAAAAaaaaaa
Amnesia
Audiosurf
Killing Floor
The Wonderful End of The World
Toki Tori

And Portal 1
Toki Tori? Got nothing to trade but my love lol.

Tesseract

Banned
a very special public thanks to zomba13 for gifting aaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! – A Reckless Disregard for Gravity. you are awesome.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
In my eyes, Valve has officially been promoted from King to God of Gaming. The wiki about the ARG is now part of the ARG. That is fucking glorious.

Twig

Banned
Drkirby said:
So in other words Valve most likely had employees Astroturfing to help move the ARG along at a proper pace.
Yeah that's what it kinda looks like, isn't it.

Or they contacted some people and asked them to go nuts. But I doubt that, since people are assholes and would leak something like that.

bounchfx

Zomba13 said:
UPDATED LIST

Amnesia
Toki Tori

I would love Amnesia, but all I have is HL2 and episode 1 for gifting.

I like ponies though?
just finished episode 3

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Twig said:

Or they contacted some people and asked them to go nuts. But I doubt that, since people are assholes and would leak something like that.
Yep, I can't see Valve getting as many outside people to go along with this. They had to have been on it from the start. And considering how asinine some of these puzzles are, they most likely were supposed to drop leads when people didn't know where to go next (Though I think they were caught off guard on a few of the things relating to the log in pages)

Hahaha, I sent a mail to Dejobaan's founder in order to congratulate him on how he's handling this whole ARG thing and he answered me with a broken/GLAdOS-censored mail :'D

No clues in it, though :'(

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
Why doesn't the Ball portal campaign let you save? I was on the last level, and it crashed. I don't think I'm gonna try for that potato again :mad:

Edit: also, could anyone gift me an extra from the potato pack? I don't have:

Cogs
Defense Grid
Killing Floor
The Wonderful End of the World
1...2...3..Kick it!

All I can gift is Portal 1, but any help would be appreciated :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Drkirby said:
Yep, I can't see Valve getting as many outside people to go along with this. They had to have been on it from the start. And considering how asinine some of these puzzles are, they most likely were supposed to drop leads when people didn't know where to go next (Though I think they were caught off guard on a few of the things relating to the log in pages)

People who are deep in this ARGs take them pretty seriously though. It's their 'game', so for one of them to be contacted and asked to join it they'd probably fucking love it.

Not really doubting that there are a few insiders, but the ARG scene is pretty big, and it wouldn't be surprised if Valve slowly roped some in to the fun.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Twig said:

I wonder what to make of this:
13:37 <@Commandhat> You know what, fuck the NDA.
13:37 <@Commandhat> Here's what I know of what Valve contacted me for
13:38 <@Commandhat> Actually nevermind
13:39 <@Ywa> !kb Commandhat GET THE FUCK OUT
13:39 -!- mode/#valvearg2 [-o+b Commandhat *!*@pool-72-64-99-245.dllstx.fios.verizon.net] by ChanServ
13:39 -!- Commandhat was kicked from #valvearg2 by ChanServ [(Ywa) GET THE FUCK OUT]

*later*

13:49 <@Ywa> !deluser Commandhat
13:50 -!- mode/#valvearg2 [-b *!*@pool-72-64-99-245.dllstx.fios.verizon.net] by Ywa

I want to think ether Ywa is in on it, or the Hat guy was just trolling (But why would he be unbanned then)

Also, if you still have them Zomba, I could use 1, 2, 3, The Ball, and Amnesia.

People who are deep in this ARGs take them pretty seriously though. It's their 'game', so for one of them to be contacted and asked to join it they'd probably fucking love it.

Not really doubting that there are a few insiders, but the ARG scene is pretty big, and it wouldn't be surprised if Valve slowly roped some in to the fun.
It would be to much of a gamble to ask them mid-ARG, because they could just give away the whole plan. IMO, they had to have been on it before the ARG started.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Zomba13 said:
OK, I decided to get the rest of the Potato sack games I was missing. Seeing as the price of the games separately was like, £1 or 2 less than the sack price, I just bought the sack meaning I have a few games to trade/give away.

1...2...3... Kick It
AAAAAaaaaaa
Amnesia
Audiosurf
Killing Floor
Toki Tori

And Portal 1

Edit: Beaten by a mile. Is The Wonderful End of The World still available?

Zomba13

MatthewB92 said:
Added. I'm just Matt on steam.
Sent.

Will send Amnesia later (after some CS:S with friends). zomba13 on steam bounchfx (he was first, sorry unpurposed :( )

Datwheezy said:
Edit: Beaten by a mile. Is The Wonderful End of The World still available?
Yeah, add me on Steam (zomba13)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Drkirby said:
It would be to much of a gamble to ask them mid-ARG, because they could just give away the whole plan. IMO, they had to have been on it before the ARG started.

True that. I guess I just want to believe.

PatzCU

Treefingers said:
What the fuck is this shit

Edit: I still have Amnesia, Killing Floor & Super Meat Boy to gift for Magicka/Magicka Complete Pack if anyone wants.

I hope it's part of the ARG.

GABDEG

The M.O.B said:
Isn't it possible to fake it? I believe someone did this with Left4Dead 2 when we were all waiting for it.
Yeah, I think it's faked, he also "played" his Portal 2 pre-order for an hour.

I don't think it is fake. Everything is perfectly authentic. Down to the link working, the logo, and "Portal 2 1.4 hrs last two weeks / 1.4 hrs on record."

The M.O.B said:
Isn't it possible to fake it? I believe someone did this with Left4Dead 2 when we were all waiting for it.
As far as I know you can't fake your Steam profile, but you can fake a notification that makes all your friends think you are playing Portal 2.

Top Bottom