• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shifty

Anyone playing Rez Infinite- be sure to go into the VR options and try out the full range of control and camera modes.
I missed them in the initial ohmigodVR excitement and ended up playing with dumbed-down game balance, flight animation and aiming for the first 4 hours of my game time.

-Type 2 hands-only aiming is so so so much better than the weird head + hand default setup. It actually feels 1:1 instead of the weird hodgepodge that is Type 1.
-The advanced/dynamic camera modes actually change the enemy patterns and make them more aggressive.
-And dynamic camera also turns on way cooler layer transition animations.

It's like I've discovered a whole new game.

My USB ports arent adequate. Any reccommendations?

Is that based on the Oculus VR readiness app, or just lack of 3.0 ports? My motherboard passed the test, but ended up not being able to handle 3.0 because its USB implementation sucks. I had my whole setup running through 2.0 while I waited on my PCI USB card to arrive and it was still pretty decent.

I use one of the Oculus-endorsed Inateck cards (the 5 external 2 internal one) for my two sensors, and have the rift going into a motherboard 2.0 port. It was quite a far cry from a plug & play experience getting it set up and working, but it's been solid since.

Probably worth searching the thread to see if there are better alternatives. I think there are some less finicky cards available, hopefully someone else can chime in on this.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Great for competition and overall health of VR however it seems to me that they still missed what the consumers have been saying and responding to: $399 is the barrier of entry. The rift+touch was lowered to $599 early this year and made some headway but not until it hit $399 did it really start flying off the shelves.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Great for competition and overall health of VR however it seems to me that they still missed what the consumers have been saying and responding to: $399 is the barrier of entry. The rift+touch was lowered to $599 early this year and made some headway but not until it hit $399 did it really start flying off the shelves.

A PSVR launch bundle (headset + camera + 2 move controllers) cost $500 on Amazon. Its insane to ask for a much better and advanced VR kit to cost $399 permanently. They can't afford back then. They can afford a little now. You are not being realistic.

ElyrionX

A PSVR launch bundle (headset + camera + 2 move controllers) cost $500 on Amazon. Its insane to ask for a much better and advanced VR kit to cost $399 permanently. They can't afford back then. They can afford a little now. You are not being realistic.

It doesn't matter what HTC can afford or not. All that matters is what the consumer can afford.

This is why the safest bet for a consumer is the Rift and not Vive. HTC is bleeding cash and you never know when they pull the plug. That's not happening to Facebook any time soon.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

You're right HTC can't afford it and for a company like them they need to make a profit on these systems however the average consumer doesn't care about any of that. The main factor for them is price. For most average consumers 799 was too much, 599 was ok and you got some people to test the waters but 399 appears to be the key price as it is where a lot of impulse buys took place.

So.....I finally got my Sensors set up high on my walls instead of having them on the stands.

The tracking is even BETTER it seems (or could just be my mind fooling me) and now I know they will stay in place when before my cat might randomly bump into a stand.

I Got these 3dprinted....

and then used these to stick them so they won't damage the walls.

and these to make the cords look neat.

overall, with getting someone to make the brackets...it was a $35.00 investment, and well worth it. It would be even cheaper if you have your own 3d printer already.

I highly suggest this...tracking really does seem alot more accurate/better this way and now cords and mounts are out of the way of all traffic.

Here's a $10.00 discount if you decide to print something in 3d on 3dhubs.com

kinn

Is that based on the Oculus VR readiness app, or just lack of 3.0 ports? My motherboard passed the test, but ended up not being able to handle 3.0 because its USB implementation sucks. I had my whole setup running through 2.0 while I waited on my PCI USB card to arrive and it was still pretty decent.

I use one of the Oculus-endorsed Inateck cards (the 5 external 2 internal one) for my two sensors, and have the rift going into a motherboard 2.0 port. It was quite a far cry from a plug & play experience getting it set up and working, but it's been solid since.

Probably worth searching the thread to see if there are better alternatives. I think there are some less finicky cards available, hopefully someone else can chime in on this.

Yeah from the app. Ive ordered a card with 4 ports from Amazon .

And yes....that means i ordered a rift!

I got mine from Scan, and they appear to be in stock RIGHT NOW.
giphy.gif

It is done!

ArtHands

You're right HTC can't afford it and for a company like them they need to make a profit on these systems however the average consumer doesn't care about any of that. The main factor for them is price. For most average consumers 799 was too much, 599 was ok and you got some people to test the waters but 399 appears to be the key price as it is where a lot of impulse buys took place.

No doubt the consumers doesn't care about that. But doesnt change the point its unrealistic to ask for that now when they start to do a bit of research, when HTC or in fact anyone can't afford to reduce the price of a full high end vr kit to $399 pernamently at the moment.

Mark Zuckerberg said it will probably take 10 years for vr to go mainstream. I really doubt these guys expect vr to go mass market so quickly anyway (of course if it did, it will be a bonus), so its likely they go into the market expecting the worse. Vive/Rift will likely hit $399 price point permanently only after 2nd gen VR is out or early next year.

Average consumers on the fence can jump in by then.

So.....I finally got my Sensors set up high on my walls instead of having them on the stands.

The tracking is even BETTER it seems (or could just be my mind fooling me) and now I know they will stay in place when before my cat might randomly bump into a stand.

I Got these 3dprinted....

and then used these to stick them so they won't damage the walls.

and these to make the cords look neat.

overall, with getting someone to make the brackets...it was a $35.00 investment, and well worth it. It would be even cheaper if you have your own 3d printer already.

I highly suggest this...tracking really does seem alot more accurate/better this way and now cords and mounts are out of the way of all traffic.

Here's a $10.00 discount if you decide to print something in 3d on 3dhubs.com
Many thanks for this! I've been messing around with old speaker stands for too long, and you just tipped me over the edge towards fixing my sensor array up properly.

btrboyev

Are there any good lens protectors for glasses users? Or are getting prescription inserts the way to go? I bought the glasses protection from a Gaffer for PSVR and they are simple but effective.

Oculus is not nearly as glasses friendly as PSVR is.

Are there any good lens protectors for glasses users? Or are getting prescription inserts the way to go? I bought the glasses protection from a Gaffer for PSVR and they are simple but effective.

Oculus is not nearly as glasses friendly as PSVR is.

prescription inserts imo, much more comfortable and managable. you can go the cheaper faster route to obtain these as talked about in this thread or you can go the more expensive longer route with widmovr

Lord Phol

Oh man thought my oculus was bricked yesterday. Left lense kept fogging up making things blurry. I had totally forgot that it can happen if the rift hasn't warmed up yet, few minutes later everything was fine.

Anyone playing Rez Infinite- be sure to go into the VR options and try out the full range of control and camera modes.
I missed them in the initial ohmigodVR excitement and ended up playing with dumbed-down game balance, flight animation and aiming for the first 4 hours of my game time.

-Type 2 hands-only aiming is so so so much better than the weird head + hand default setup. It actually feels 1:1 instead of the weird hodgepodge that is Type 1.
-The advanced/dynamic camera modes actually change the enemy patterns and make them more aggressive.
-And dynamic camera also turns on way cooler layer transition animations.

It's like I've discovered a whole new game.

Thanks for these tips - I'll try them out. I hadn't realised there was hand-tracking for ages and was doing it via head tracking....then i realised I was subtly using both, head tracking for small movements and hand tracking for bigger ones. Hand tracking only should be fine.

I just bought Oculus Rift. Omg, what did I do? Kind of an impulse buy.

Yay! Welcome on board - enjoy!

Ennosuke

Holy shit, I just played this intro with the robot to play with the move controls. I can't remember when I was so hyped about a video game. I mean I felt like I was actually in that room. Amazing! Also great that I have now 6 games from the start. Robo Recall seems to be great.

I really need to get into it, to be honest I have no idea which games I should buy in addition. Also great that there are so many games and I can use the steam shop and the oculus shop.

ArtHands

Holy shit, I just played this intro with the robot to play with the move controls. I can't remember when I was so hyped about a video game. I mean I felt like I was actually in that room. Amazing! Also great that I have now 6 games from the start. Robo Recall seems to be great.

I really need to get into it, to be honest I have no idea which games I should buy in addition. Also great that there are so many games and I can use the steam shop and the oculus shop.

Take your time and enjoy the ride. Go download waltz of the wizard, Google tilt brush, Google Earth. These are my favorite free VR titles so far.

Lakuza

here's a few of my fave VR games, click the names for the oculus store link where you can see the trailer and screenshots.

Superhot VR - Awesome pick up and play vr, you unlock a bunch of awesome modes after completing the short campaign (which is a tutorial to prep you for those modes). This is a great one to showcase to others too. Makes you feel like Neo.

Lone Echo (story driven adventure, exploration game) - This is one of the most (if not the most) immersive vr game available. Singleplayer campaign took me 9 hours to complete, multiplayer (echo arena) is also pretty cool.

Mages Tale (Dungeon crawling as a mage) - Fun game with great exploration (so many hidden paths and rooms to find with their own puzzles). As a mage apprentice you level up, find and learn new spells to defeat enemies that ambush you in the dungeons. Took me 10 hours roughly to complete.

Gunheart - (Destiny x Borderlands) - This one is an early access (since July) so you might prefer to wait for the full release when it has more content. It has a shared online hub where you can upgrade and buy new weapons and stats using cash earned from carrying out missions. Missions can be played in co op (3 players) or on your own. I played this exclusively for about a week and a half and hit max rank with most upgrades so for me that was a good amount of content and they are updating this game on a regular basis, but to repeat what I said already this is really early in the early access phase.

Raw Data - (Class based wave shooter). This ones been in early access for a while so it has more content that gunheart. Missions are mostly wave based in a single area where you defend an object. Later missions begin to focus more on exploration. Classes are dual pistols, shotgun and hulk like fists, archer and a cyborg ninja with psychic powers so it has a decent amount of replayability. Missions can be played in co-op with another player too.

Other games to check out based on what I've read:
Chronos: 3rd person dark souls like dungeon crawler.
Airtone: Japanese Rythym game thats meant to be amazing
Audioshield: Rythym game that allows you to use custom music (made by audiosurf developer), but it doesnt sync accurately to music.

Here is a list of free games for you to enjoy while you decide what to buy:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/free_vr_games

Lord Phol

Can you refund early access titles? Kind of want to refund Sairento and get something like Superhot, Airzona Sunshine or Raw Data instead. It's just way too barebones and lacking in quality.

Shifty

It is done!

Welcome to the future! :D

Are there any good lens protectors for glasses users? Or are getting prescription inserts the way to go?

Prescription inserts all the way, I use the WidmoVR one. You can't even tell it's there, and having a full crystal-clear FOV is a total game-changer.

Thanks for these tips - I'll try them out. I hadn't realised there was hand-tracking for ages and was doing it via head tracking....then i realised I was subtly using both, head tracking for small movements and hand tracking for bigger ones. Hand tracking only should be fine.

I have no idea why hand tracking isn't the default really. Maybe a leftover from targeting the PSVR out of the gate.

Lord Phol

Managed to setup my 3rd sensor, and Robot Recall feels so much better with the ability to turn around yourself. It's not a perfect setup, but well enough that tracking felt pretty much spot on while spinning around and shooting stuff. I'm going to be playing this quite rarely though with the setup taking up most of the living room space and my 3 year old daughter taking up most of my time, but it definitely feels like a game changer compared to normal standing and sitting vr.

I think I'm going to return Oculus and get Vive instead, since it's on sale as well. Mainly because of bigger headset that can accommodate a better space for my glasses.

The Vive is better for glasses, but from what I heard, it's not a world of difference.

I honestly think you're better off buying cheap lens inserts. You'll have a more immersive experience and you won't have the potential risk of scratching your headset lens with your glasses.

Ennosuke

Okay that was strange, I got motion sickness from google earth. Moving around in Tokyo made me a little bit sick, also after putting oculus aside. I think once I get this feeling I should stop playing? Because I was continuing anyway.

In general motion sickness, can I work on that? Because now I am afraid, that I can't really use VR. I remember that when 3D in movies was new, I had similar issues, but it totally went away with a couple of movies.

Mascot

Okay that was strange, I got motion sickness from google earth. Moving around in Tokyo made me a little bit sick, also after putting oculus aside. I think once I get this feeling I should stop playing? Because I was continuing anyway.

In general motion sickness, can I work on that? Because now I am afraid, that I can't really use VR. I remember that when 3D in movies was new, I had similar issues, but it totally went away with a couple of movies.

It should* get better every time you use it, but stop as soon as nausea starts and go back to it the next day.

*not for all people, unfortunately.

Shifty

Zalusithix

It's pretty bad still. My glasses frame is 14cm wide end-to-end and trying to use them with the Vive made my first (brief) experience a real bad time.

If your frames are 140mm wide, it shouldn't have been that bad with the Vive. That's what the cut out width is on the padding to accommodate glasses (Rift is ~130mm inside width). It wouldn't have given any wiggle room for fitment, but it shouldn't have put any real pressure on the sides when adjusted properly. I'm guessing your frames are actually slightly over 140mm. For reference's sake, I use 135mm wide frames in the Vive without any discomfort whatsoever. The only real annoyance is that the process of putting the HMD on and taking it off is more involved to avoid smearing the glasses.

Ennosuke

What Space Simulation/Shooter would you guys recommend?

Eve?
Elite Dangerous, which is currently on sale.
House of the Dying Sun?

To be honest I totally lost track of this genre and have no idea what is the best choice. I always loved flying Spaceships in Videogames and I loved the Star Wars Tie Fighter Games. I think that VR this will be on a totally new level.

Steel

Banned
What Space Simulation/Shooter would you guys recommend?

Eve?
Elite Dangerous, which is currently on sale.
House of the Dying Sun?

To be honest I totally lost track of this genre and have no idea what is the best choice. I always loved flying Spaceships in Videogames and I loved the Star Wars Tie Fighter Games. I think that VR this will be on a totally new level.

Only sim there is Elite, which is good so long as you're OK with not having a specific direction at all times. House of the Dying Sun is nice and arcady, going through the game mission by mission. Eve is also an arcade type, definitely the best looker of the three and has online play.

Ennosuke

Just returned it :( mam the first 40 minutes were so exciting, but even easy games like Farlands amd Robo Recall were causing motion sickness. I tried the whole week with short sessions in the evening, but I basically felt sick all day long. Even thinking of it made me feel bad. I assume that it is related to the stomach issues I have and that I can't deal with Vr because of this.
This is why I have to say goodbye to this thread and VR, but in general I believe in the technology and I would have loved to continue playing amazing games like Robo Recall. But for now I need to stick with regular games.

Renekton

Quick question!

I have been using this thing for quite awhile... it still feels like I'm jamming my eyes through two CRT televisions with the interlacing and low resolution. This is normal correct?

Daddario

Neo Member
Just returned it :( mam the first 40 minutes were so exciting, but even easy games like Farlands amd Robo Recall were causing motion sickness. I tried the whole week with short sessions in the evening, but I basically felt sick all day long. Even thinking of it made me feel bad. I assume that it is related to the stomach issues I have and that I can't deal with Vr because of this.
This is why I have to say goodbye to this thread and VR, but in general I believe in the technology and I would have loved to continue playing amazing games like Robo Recall. But for now I need to stick with regular games.

I had an Oculus, but unfortunately after a couple of months I had to return it because of motion sickness. I guess I'm one of the few that can't get VR legs...

Mascot

Quick question!

I have been using this thing for quite awhile... it still feels like I'm jamming my eyes through two CRT televisions with the interlacing and low resolution. This is normal correct?

No, it should be indistinguishable from real life.

Yes.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

I'm surprised robo recall gave you any sickness since there is no artificial movement in that at all. Everything you do in that should be one to one. Unless for some reason you were dropping below 90fps which could cause nausea in any game. Another thing with vr is that the moment you start feeling sick you should stop. If you push through you'll feel even worse and your body will equate that feeling with the rift.

Shifty

Quick question!

The low res is a given but I'm pretty sure interlacing isn't a thing. Probably the screen door effect due to small gaps between the pixels.

kinn

I got the Rift. Ordered from Scan and arrived the next day! But im still waiting on Amazon to deliver the USB3 PCI card, HDMI to Display port adaptoer and a USB3 extension cable. Update – Order now delayed until next week! L

But I gave it a go and I managed to quicky set it up with just USB2 ports for now. And having no display as I only have one HDMI on my card. And also not been able to place the second senor properly. So my setup is a bit janky but I thought id give it a go.

Only 1 of the len dispays was on with random static glitchy pixels and the other was not even on! Bloody defective unit! Or so I thought until I reconnected via another usb port.

But after that….All I can say is wow! Holy Moly is this amazing! That first demo with the cute little robot….the immersion felt so good!

I was a skeptic at first. I tried the Google cardboard and thought it was quite decent. But if the Rift/vive were just more graphically better than cardboard, I didn’t think it was worth the big investment. But man, this blows the CB out the water. Theres just something there which the CB didn’t have. The immersion is just on another level. Anyone else considering getting one…..don’t make judgements on VR based only with CB.

This truly does feel like a first step towards a hollodeck.

Lakuza

I got the Rift. Ordered from Scan and arrived the next day! But im still waiting on Amazon to deliver the USB3 PCI card, HDMI to Display port adaptoer and a USB3 extension cable. Update – Order now delayed until next week! L

But I gave it a go and I managed to quicky set it up with just USB2 ports for now. And having no display as I only have one HDMI on my card. And also not been able to place the second senor properly. So my setup is a bit janky but I thought id give it a go.

Only 1 of the len dispays was on with random static glitchy pixels and the other was not even on! Bloody defective unit! Or so I thought until I reconnected via another usb port.

But after that….All I can say is wow! Holy Moly is this amazing! That first demo with the cute little robot….the immersion felt so good!

I was a skeptic at first. I tried the Google cardboard and thought it was quite decent. But if the Rift/vive were just more graphically better than cardboard, I didn’t think it was worth the big investment. But man, this blows the CB out the water. Theres just something there which the CB didn’t have. The immersion is just on another level. Anyone else considering getting one…..don’t make judgements on VR based only with CB.

This truly does feel like a first step towards a hollodeck.

jump straight into robo recall if you found the robot tutorial awesome :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom