• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Meccs

After 4 hours with my luck/bleed build at SL60 I'm going back to Quality. You're just getting hyper armored or phantom range spammed. If you can actually land a combo, the damage is insane but Warden's spin is so easily interrupted and grants no hyper armor. If you can sneak up on someone though, it's lights out. But I feel most of the insane damage came from the Rouge and not from the Twinblades.
For someone that is really good at predicting stuff, it is probably the best build you can have. The skill ceiling is huge due to the short range and making every hit count or you lose the bleeding! Unfortunately I'm not that good... Also their are basically just very few weapons that are effective. I like to have a large variety of weapons I can choose from.

PvE is, as expected, very easy. I could kill
Consumed King und Gundyr
with ease at SL60! There was pretty much no Phase 1 on both bosses. The bleed damage is nuts.

Oh yeah and I just lost 75k souls because I'm an idiot. What's your highscore?

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Well so much for that ember. Fuck I couldn't even hit the phantom and he had so much god damn range on that sword. Bullshit.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
btw, I think you guys are jive talkin' with the pot stuff. Am I that naive, or does he just have a goofy side that he isn't afraid to show on camera (microphone)?

No, I agree. That's just Marcus. He aint recording stoned. I'd be surprised if he even smoked weed at all. Doesn't seem the type at all.

KHlover

Banned
After 4 hours with my luck/bleed build at SL60 I'm going back to Quality. You're just getting hyper armored or phantom range spammed. If you can actually land a combo, the damage is insane but Warden's spin is so easily interrupted and grants no hyper armor. If you can sneak up on someone though, it's lights out. But I feel most of the insane damage came from the Rouge and not from the Twinblades.
For someone that is really good at predicting stuff, it is probably the best build you can have. The skill ceiling is huge due to the short range and making every hit count or you lose the bleeding! Unfortunately I'm not that good... Also their are basically just very few weapons that are effective. I like to have a large variety of weapons I can choose from.

PvE is, as expected, very easy. I could kill
Consumed King und Gundyr
with ease at SL60! There was pretty much no Phase 1 on both bosses. The bleed damage is nuts.

Oh yeah and I just lost 75k souls because I'm an idiot. What's your highscore?
Dropped about two million souls while farming. Thankfully they were 5s from the bonfire and the only way to completely lose them would have been to jump off the map since the enemy I farm from is summoned and that takes time. Actually lost permanently...maybe 100k or so, which at SL 170 really isn't a big deal.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Well, I finally got to NG++ and I'm starting to feel the wear-and-tear. The first 91 hours have been a blast, but I can't see myself doing anything but rush this playthrough as fast as I can, summoning as many people I can for every fight, just to get the last few rings I'm missing and get all the Achievements.

I'll play something else as a palate cleanser while I wait for FROM to release the first DLC. Then I'll jump back into the game, probably with a new character :)

LiK

No, I agree. That's just Marcus. He aint recording stoned. I'd be surprised if he even smoked weed at all. Doesn't seem the type at all.

He's just being goofy. He's not high. I dunno how people can play Souls being high anyway.

2AdEPT

ENB tries to be hip and cool when he is just a nerd like the rest of us...I always think to myself that he is trying too hard to jazz up his voice and accent etc. LOL I dont think I have ever heard of an enemy in a video game "peacing out". Peace out was a term used a lot in the 90's ...is that just Markus dating himself, or do kidz use that term for the third person verb nowadays?

Meccs

Any opinions on Gundyr's Halberd vs Black Knight Glaive? I always used the BKG. I think you can parry Gundyr's weapon art, which would suck.

LiK

ENB tries to be hip and cool when he is just a nerd like the rest of us...I always think to myself that he is trying too hard to jazz up his voice and accent etc. LOL I dont think I have ever heard of an enemy in a video game "peacing out". Peace out was a term used a lot in the 90's ...is that just Markus dating himself, or do kidz use that term for the third person verb nowadays?

He's in his mid-30's and from the South so he's just being himself. I've been watching his videos since his early days and he hasn't changed much. His earlier videos actually were more goofy and sillier than now.

Mokoi

Banned

silva1991

ENB's last episode was rather fun for me

seeing those thieves(especially the greatsword one) kicking his ass was amusing.

I don't remember seeing him panic rolling before now :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvCbKNi7vL8
Run into someone trying to do that every now and again. It's easy to punish, but sometimes I forgot about the glitch.

same as drunk souls. pretty much unstoppable.

god I love the dragon slayer spear. Abuse the hell out of the charge.
https://my.mixtape.moe/djsbdv.webm

how are they even using it without the pyro flame hand weapon?

Manu

So I'm watching the original DS3 leak video by The Know, and it's a shame the sacrifice mechanic was cut. They mention "dragging corpses and then stabbing them as a ceremony," which is exactly what we see the red knight doing at the end of the intro cutscene.

The animation for it was probably repurposed for
the wedding scene.

DragonSlayer
Armour and The Consumed King has an amazing soundtrack. Same goes for the Princes as well. Yuka Kitamura is the best composer in Dark Souls 3. Like, these tracks are fantastic.

2AdEPT

second playthrough in a row I screwed up the Greirat quest ...proabably sent him out AFTER reaching the dungeon this time...last time I missed Siegward completely.

Where are the little peckers ashes supposed to be if I sent him to Irythyl and he didnt return??!?!?!!?

second playthrough in a row I screwed up the Greirat quest ...proabably sent him out AFTER reaching the dungeon this time...last time I missed Siegward completely.

Where are the little peckers ashes supposed to be if I sent him to Irythyl and he didnt return??!?!?!!?

In the sewer before the distant manor bonfire in a corner where all the spiders are huddled up.

Vena

This most recent patch has definitely messed up my performance. I am getting random screen-pause/freeze moments.

Tarkus

He's in his mid-30's and from the South so he's just being himself. I've been watching his videos since his early days and he hasn't changed much. His earlier videos actually were more goofy and sillier than now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvCbKNi7vL8
Run into someone trying to do that every now and again. It's easy to punish, but sometimes I forgot about the glitch.

same as drunk souls. pretty much unstoppable.

god I love the dragon slayer spear. Abuse the hell out of the charge.
https://my.mixtape.moe/djsbdv.webm
Do you guys think a lot of people get the Favre cock references?

pa22word

So I'm watching the original DS3 leak video by The Know, and it's a shame the sacrifice mechanic was cut. They mention "dragging corpses and then stabbing them as a ceremony," which is exactly what we see the red knight doing at the end of the intro cutscene.

The animation for it was probably repurposed for
the wedding scene.

It sounded a lot like it was going to be world tendency 2.0

And >.>

I'm glad that crap didn't come back. Judging by how stupid the NPC stuff is in this game I can't even imagine how asinine it was originally before they cut it. Was probably the main reason they did cut it.

MilkBeard

Lol people talk like that. Not sure what box you live in/ I would say especially people his age (and my age). He's probably not much older than me so I think I understand his word usage. Also his goofy voices are not out of the ordinary, at least from my family anyway.

*cough* I'm 19 and my friends say things like that.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Only need to beat 7 more bosses to get my Platinum..... that 91% ourghhhhh...........

Sounds like Sacred Flame glitch.

Got invaded by someone using this. Made by blood boil, to be honest. Cheating bastard.

Also last night I was invaded in Halfway Fortress area... I waited for him, I didn't summon anybody, I bowed, and yet he committed: using Estoc poke poke poke poke--fine, whatever, it's annoying, but fine. He gobbled Estus, even though I refrained from doing so, fine, whatever, urgh. But then when I got invaded by Heysel, and when I took some time dealing with Heysel that invader nonchalantly struck me from behind multiple times. Fucking annoying.

I can understand using "do whatever" if I had multiple folks with me but when I actually made an effort to make the fight fair and then the person immediately spit on that? Really annoying, urgh.

Can you link the video please?

Also POISE has been understood finally:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3..._souls_3_poise_mechanics_im_pretty_damn_sure/

Kind of crazy how it links with rolling iframes.

*Scratches head*

That... doesn't seem to have any connection to the in-game description.... *scratches head*

Not to mention it means that poise *improves rolling*, but the armors that have high poise stat is heavy armors, so that means if you want to have better roll you need to equip heavier armors? WTF? What kind of stupid logic is that? So you're saying that guys like Yhorm rolled around on the battlefield during his heyday with his giant machete and shield since his shield give poise?

2nkykx4.jpg

Guys, I'ma PvP...wish me luck!

Holy shit GAF, N
ameless
K
ing
is DOWN! I did it!! I can't believe I did it alone!

I actually beat all the bosses by myself! Woohoo I'm so stoked man. So stoked. This is by far the hardest game I've ever played.

He really doesn't sound like a stoner. He doesn't forget what he's talking about midsentence or anything like that. He can just be silly sometimes.

Welp. Beat DS3.

Got the Usurpation ending. Also used Yuria as a summon for the final fight cause it felt appropriate lol. Soul of Cinder was alright, nothing special except for that beautiful part when Lord Gwyn's theme started playing

Loved this a lot more than DS2, but feel like Bloodborne was the better game. Had alot more fun exploring that world than Lothric. Good way to end the franchise but Dark Souls is still the supreme lol.

Forgot to handle Nameless King before I took the flame. I'll handle him in NG+.

Holy shit GAF, N
ameless
K
ing
is DOWN! I did it!! I can't believe I did it alone!

I actually beat all the bosses by myself! Woohoo I'm so stoked man. So stoked. This is by far the hardest game I've ever played.

Congrats!

*Scratches head*

That... doesn't seem to have any connection to the in-game description.... *scratches head*

Not to mention it means that poise *improves rolling*, but the armors that have high poise stat is heavy armors, so that means if you want to have better roll you need to equip heavier armors? WTF? What kind of stupid logic is that? So you're saying that guys like Yhorm rolled around on the battlefield during his heyday with his giant machete and shield since his shield give poise?

Yeah it sounds dumb but it seems proven in those videos.

Basically you want to fast roll in Havel's set - good luck with that... also that means Wolf Ring is much more important than before...

tl;dr

POISE DaS3 = ADAPTABILITY DaS2

Coldsun

Banned
Onward and upward! Just finished NG+ as my level1.
Between NG and NG+ I've completed virtually all of the achievements minus the rings 2 or 3 gestures and a few spells).

I'll end up completing NG++ as level 6 since I need to take the free hollow levels to complete some of the achievements and one of the endings (lord of hollows).

None the less, hopefully a night or two of decent progress and I'll have platinum'd the game at the lowest possible level(s).

Okay three hours and only got one proof of concord. Anyone interested in helping me duping them? I have 5 already so it wouldn't take very long

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah it sounds dumb but it seems proven in those videos.Basically you want to fast roll in Havel's set - good luck with that... also that means Wolf Ring is much more important than before...

tl;dr

POISE DaS3 = ADAPTABILITY DaS2
Some other folks have made more tests and claim it's wrong.

Besides didn't hackers found some flag that, when turned on, made poise work like in DS1?

I wouldn't take any of it seriously.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
HOT DAMN the N
ameless King
boss fight was amazing!

That moveset was really really tough to get though. Some great visuals in that area as well.

Vena

Is that what's causing it? I've also been getting that recently, wasn't sure why. Game was silky smooth a week or two ago.

I believe so. My recent attempt to fight the Dragonslayer Armor is a complete slideshow, which is nigh unplayable. This didn't happen before the recent patch.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Some other folks have made more tests and claim it's wrong.

Besides didn't hackers found some flag that, when turned on, made poise work like in DS1?

I wouldn't take any of it seriously.

So we're back to point zero.

I wish FROM would just stop with their mindgames already and stated what it's about. It's just crazy that even with the huge amount of work people have poured on finding usefulness of a single stat in an RPG like this, they still haven't found it yet.

Especially since this affects character builds too in a rather major way.

Holy shit. So I FINALLY finished grinding my ass off to get the covenant items for W
atch dogs of Farron. I thought it wasn't going to be anything that great, like a spell or anything. Nope Greatshield of Artorias! Considering I'm wearing his armour, and have his sword, it made me super gitty. I got his ring too, but a multiplier of 0 is still 0 so sadness :(

Okay three hours and only got one proof of concord. Anyone interested in helping me duping them? I have 5 already so it wouldn't take very long

If you beat Tw
in princes
just stay outside the boss room. I got summoned after like 5 minutes of waiting, that place is pretty active if you're a high level, like 100-125ish

Most souls I lost was about 250k because I forgot that if you get summoned as a Red Phantom you still drop your souls where you die. O well, I'm SL 125 with maxed out gear so I don't care. It got to the pont where I had so many souls so I bought 610 branches, 699 titinite shards, 600 green blossoms, and a bunch of twinkling and titnite scales.

Styles

Whew, got all of the covenants items I need on PS4. And yet again WoF was the only covenant that I had to farm for. The others were relatively easy to acquire through PvP.

dude

dude
Damn people really consider the Crystal Sage super easy? :(
Guess I'd better get good

Sorry I'm late - If it makes you feel better I was stuck on him for a super long time, but I beat Dancer on my first try. Some people have a harder time with certain bosses, it's dependent on your playstyle.

Why does a weapon you can pick up off a mob enemy outdamage a boss weapon of the same variety with both at max levels? Carthus Curved Sword being the mob weapon and Storm Curved Sword the boss one.

They even have the exact same movesets. The skill scaling for Storm Sword is one letter higher, but that isn't enough to make up for the much higher base attack for Carthus Sword. And to top it all off, Carthus Sword has the advantage of causing bleed.

I just don't get it. Are boss weapons not special? I haven't been thrilled with boss weapons as a whole, but this specific example really boggled my mind.

Top Bottom