• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 download ver on PS4/XO requires 50-60GB hard drive space?

Bsigg12

Where did you hear that?
I think that's NOT true for the PS4.

It is true. From Gamasutra's interview with Cerny:

However, PlayGo "is two separate linked systems," Cerny said. The other is to do with the Blu-ray drive -- to help with the fact that it is, essentially, a bit slow for next-gen games.

"So, what we do as the game accesses the Blu-ray disc, is we take any data that was accessed and we put it on the hard drive. And if then if there is idle time, we go ahead and copy the remaining data to the hard drive. And what that means is after an hour or two, the game is on the hard drive, and you have access, you have dramatically quicker loading... And you have the ability to do some truly high-speed streaming."

brobban

1. Bull. No way would a 60GB game be downloaded in 1.5Hours.
2. Yeah it is. Not everyone, especially in non Tier 1 regions, have the option or money for unlimited bandwidth.
3. Derp, installing it from a backup source locally is faster than downloading it.
4. Nope. In a few years time with big video games collection, backups will need to be stored some where.
5. Yeah, that's a bad thing. Well seen you have no argument for it.
6. Which means a long wait time. Not just yourself but others will slow broadband speeds.
7. Um, It's happened to me before and the GTA5 PSN issue was a fine example. Plus I've seen it happen to other people on Steam before.
8. Good stay there. Optical storage is by far and away the best medium for next gen.

And how can you speak on most people's behalf? Have you got proof to verify it all as being an "non issue". Or is this just more deluded optimism.

Have I said that I speak for most people? Just like you, I'm basing it on my own case.

I actually overshot with the 1.5h, it would probably sligthly less in my case..

I'm sure the system itself will support the drive, it's more of making it fit. It just sounds, dirty, having a straight up drive laying near the system. At least external drives can look nice. That said, I'll definitely be slapping in a 1-2TB hybrid drive in my PS4 and attaching a huge external on my Xbox One once the support for game installs on the external is added. Though, I find it frustrating that both systems are only using SATA II for their internal drives.

Oh most certainly

I think I've seen one instance of it that didn't look incredibly ghetto for lack of a better word?

My biggest gripe is the sata II connectors as well, I'd go SSD if there was a Sata III port guaranteed on the PS4

At least both have USB 3.0 ports which is good, hopefully the external game install support is added quickly to the XB1 as it looks like it could be as little as a dozen games before you run out of space with digital titles

I'll probably stay physical with both to be honest but will replace my ps4 drive for sure

Na, FIFA will be there too. Since they released the PC version of FIFA with current gen systems (and every other console imaginable) they didn't use the IGNITE engine for it so it doesn't look all that better than the PS3 or 360 versions.

PES though, damn that game is gorgeous.

When was the last EA sports game that EA gave a shit about on pc ;_;

Bsigg12

Oh boy, this is going to be annoying.
I guess I'll HAVE to buy a TB drive now.

I'm sure Microsoft and Sony both have storage management clients in their systems that will say "Hey, you haven't played this game in x amount of days, would you like to remove it to make more room for new content? You can always reinstall it!"

When was the last EA sports game that EA gave a shit about on pc ;_;

That's a great question. I really wish they would put Madden or NHL on PC so some of the modding community could make the games look completely realistic with texture overhauls.

I'm sure Microsoft and Sony both have storage management clients in their systems that will say "Hey, you haven't played this game in x amount of days, would you like to remove it to make more room for new content? You can always reinstall it!"

Hope for the best... Expect the worst.

I mean, if NBA and Killzone are 50Gb, can you imagine the size of RPGs? Mass Effect 4? Final Fantasy XV?

Bsigg12

Hope for the best... Expect the worst.

I mean, if NBA and Killzone are 50Gb, can you imagine the size of RPGs? Mass Effect 4? Final Fantasy XV?

I'm starting to wonder how much of it is just uncompressed audio. If these are the file sizes for the game, and I know eventually we will be at 50GB+ installs for all games as textures and audio gets more absurd, how much of the space being used is just on pure sound? I guess we'll have to wait and see though.

The reason both consoles only have 500GB drives? Streaming?

Screw that.

With the amount of space inside the XB1, I'm pretty damn sure "adaptor brackets" for full 3.5 inch SATA drives will come about.

xbox-one-inside.jpg

If not I'll just jam a 3.5 inch drive in there and be done with it.

Maybe I'll try get another pcie slot in there too.....¬_¬

Bsigg12

50GB for a basketball game?? That's outrageous. Are there uncompressed 4K resolution videos scattered throughout the game or what?

All that on court trash talk captured at super high quality man. Gotta make it feel like you're staring at Lebron's sack as he yells and dunks over you, all in HD.

The size of these games will eat the X1 HDD alive.

With 3 OS's it is likely the 500GB HDD inside the X1 will actually be 450GB or so, who knows maybe less then that.

So, if games average 30-50GB and it is mandatory to install each and every game, you could run out of room on your HDD within 10-15 games played. Not that great.

Games being that massive, it would start to suck pretty fast to keep having to delete and reinstall them whenever you want to play. Installations could take half an hour.

Bsigg12

The size of these games will eat the X1 HDD alive.

With 3 OS's it is likely the 500GB HDD inside the X1 will actually be 450GB or so, who knows maybe less then that.

So, if games average 30-50GB and it is mandatory to install each and every game, you could run out of room on your HDD within 10-15 games played. Not that great.

Games being that massive, it would start to suck pretty fast to keep having to delete and reinstall them whenever you want to play. Installations could take half an hour.

Well you can play while they install with the disc in the system.... For digital games, it'll let you play once it hits a certain point and continue to download and install while you play.

TheSoviet

Neo Member
Have I said that I speak for most people? Just like you, I'm basing it on my own case.

I actually overshot with the 1.5h, it would probably sligthly less in my case..

Read:

"Non-issue for alot of people".

You're clearly trying to speak for most people. And the 1.5hr thing is still fake.

entremet

The discs are gonna auto install anyway. You will still run out of space with disc only titles.

Are people forgetting this?

Looks like i'm going to be extra picky with my digital titles. Even 1.5 TB doesn't seem like enough. Hoping PS4 supports 3.5 but i'm not going to hold my breath.

With that kind of size for a sports game, I'm hoping for a big upgrade in the audio department. Fully dynamic commentary (which 2k was the best at in current gen), dynamic crowds, more arena/team specific songs/sounds, etc.

Madden will probably only be 5 GB max. ;)

DoctorZ

Has me worried about MLB 14. 13 was already like 20+gb installed on PS3 for digital, wonder if that will be a similar situation as NBA.

Bsigg12

With that kind of size for a sports game, I'm hoping for a big upgrade in the audio department. Fully dynamic commentary (which 2k was the best at in current gen), dynamic crowds, more arena/team specific songs/sounds, etc.

Crowd chatter, cheers, boos, clapping, players talking and yelling at each other, on court/field/ice noises, just the feel of a stadium/arena will hopefully be captured better. Being at a game in real life, the sound of the event is what makes it truly interesting to attend.

Too bad there's no college football game next year, because I want the deafening sounds of Autzen Stadium blaring in my house when I play against the Ducks.

Bgamer90

Banned
When people relise just how much of a burden a 60GB next gen game download is gonna be, it'll dis-encourage them from DD.

For the following reasons:

1. The initial download time itself.
2. Bandwidth.
3. Having no option to back up the download.
4. If you can back it up, just how many and how expensive will all the external HDDs be?
5. If the internal or even external HDD fails, you need to download again.
6. MP will be useless when downloading. Or will be laggy.
7. If the download fails or becomes corrupted, how happy will you be to have to restart all over again?
8. Having it on disk is far and away more convenient than on storage. In all aspects.

1. Shouldn't take anything more than 2 hours with my connection. That's on top of being able to download games in the background as well as play the game while it still installs.

2. I have a 80 Mbps connection. It will be fine.

3. Once you buy something, you'll be able to download it again for free.

4/5. "What ifs"; read point 3

6. No; not necessarily. It (again) depends on someone's connection.

7. Again, you don't have to wait for games to fully download to start playing them. Plus again, it shouldn't take that long to play them.

8. It depends on the person. Digital will be more convenient for me. Start all games by simply saying the game title, have my full library anywhere I go (without needing to bring discs), easy game switching, etc.

That's on top of being able to get games as soon as they launch and have them ready on the console when you are away from home.

So overall, you can't really speak for everyone. Many going digital have seen how doing so can benefit their own situation; everyone isn't the same.

dbztrk

That is a lot of gigs to download. This is why we are not ready to do away with physical media. I will loathe the day when we can no longer purchase physical media. :(

The reason both consoles only have 500GB drives? Streaming?

Screw that.

With the amount of space inside the XB1, I'm pretty damn sure "adaptor brackets" for full 3.5 inch SATA drives will come about.

If not I'll just jam a 3.5 inch drive in there and be done with it.

Maybe I'll try get another pcie slot in there too.....¬_¬

You can't replace the XB1 drive or at least that's the official PR line

Are you going to try and clone the installed drive image onto a larger drive and see if it works?

This is a closed system and I'd seriously worry you could get your account banned

MS are always on point with this sort of thing to stop piracy so I'd be careful

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The discs are gonna auto install anyway. You will still run out of space with disc only titles.

Are people forgetting this?
Not a problem when you can reinstall from the disc whenever and still play as it installs. Not the same problem as having to download 50 gigs again if you get that itch.

The Wii U supports 2TB external HDD at the moment, it's the next-gen console with the largest upgradeable storage, is that right?

For now, I believe so. The Wii U supports greater capacity drives, but no higher than a 2TB partition will be recognized. I don't know if it'll recognize the other partition(s).

For the Xbox One and PS4, I'd hope that they'd be able to recognize higher capacity partitions.

Mihos

Gold Member
Yes, yes they are.

No one is forgetting this. It is just irrelevant. The choice to delete something I have a physical copy of is a lot easier decision than deciding which downloadable games to delete when making room. I have this exact issue now with Vitas games. I buy physical first on those also, but I have a ton of PSP and PS+ games that I have to shuffle and it sucks. Not to mention, I can let the kids borrow any of my physical games at a moments notice, where as I have to plan a day ahead on what they will play during their sleep over on Friday, even if family sharing exists at all.

BadAss2961

I find it pretty hard to believe that 2K14 will need that much HDD space. I'm thinking 20GB at the most.

Funny that so many GAFers still don't know that installs are mandatory.

Solo Act

I find it pretty hard to believe that 2K14 will need that much HDD space. I'm thinking 20GB at the most.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, and I'll write it again: the Wii U digital copy of 2K13 is 25GB. I know because I own it.

I doubt 50GB with higher resolution textures and uncompressed audio/video is off by much, if any.

BadAss2961

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, and I'll write it again: the Wii U digital copy of 2K13 is 25GB. I know because I own it.

I doubt 50GB with higher resolution textures and uncompressed audio/video is off by much, if any.
Damn... The download times... Starting to second guess my plan to go all digital.

Joco

Geezus. Wish there was some actual competition in the ISP business, I'm stuck in an area where ATT DSL is basically my only option and I have a monthly 150gb cap. Looks like I won't be downloading any next gen games, at least not the AAA ones anyway.

Top Bottom