• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Streetpass Experiences

Izayoi

Banned
MNC said:
Ridiculous amount of 3DS threads, and I'm a fanboy.
Dude, it's the first new console in five years.

I would be worried if there weren't this many threads.

seady said:
I think the hardware design for turning the system on and off is very crucial for whether people use the sleep mode or not.

For example, the iPod Touch and iPhone are VERY easy to put into sleep mode and in comparison it takes a while to boot up. So A LOT of people simply put it into sleep mode instead of turing it 100% off.

The 3DS on the other hand are very easy to turn it off 100%. A lot of casuals will simply turn it off instead of putting it in sleep mode, and ignore the potential for street pass.
It's designed to not be turned off. The nag when you hit the power button tells you to put it into sleep mode, which involves merely closing the lid.

angelfly

Was only on campus for one class today but got another one. Hopefully tomorrow when I'm there a lot longer I'll finally get more than one.

seady said:
I think the hardware design for turning the system on and off is very crucial for whether people use the sleep mode or not.

For example, the iPod Touch and iPhone are VERY easy to put into sleep mode and in comparison it takes a while to boot up. So A LOT of people simply put it into sleep mode instead of turing it 100% off.

The 3DS on the other hand are very easy to turn it off 100%. A lot of casuals will simply turn it off instead of putting it in sleep mode, and ignore the potential for street pass.

Wait, have I been doing it wrong? I thought to switch the 3DS off you had to press the power button and then select "Power Off" whereas to enter sleep mode all you had to do was close the case.

EDIT: Beaten Ultra Combo, n-no- NO NOOOOOOOO.... I will have my revenge!

panda21

not a single one :( was unusually quiet today but i'm kind of surprised. i wonder is there some issue with it not working since some people are reporting having them sat right next to each other and not street passing? is there some magic setting i need to enable?

I checked mii street pass plaza or whatever its called and it said it was turned on.

beje

Banned
panda21 said:
not a single one :( was unusually quiet today but i'm kind of surprised. i wonder is there some issue with it not working since some people are reporting having them sat right next to each other and not street passing? is there some magic setting i need to enable?

I checked mii street pass plaza or whatever its called and it said it was turned on.

Check also the settings in the Data Management area dedicated to StreetPass to see if it's correctly enabled, just in case. Also, double-check your wifi switch is ON (orange light on the right side of the console on and blinking)

FoneBone

Got my first on the NYC subway this morning. Kinda unexpected.

EDIT: What's the maximum distance? And how much time do the units have to be in proximity in order to exchange data?

panda21

beje said:
Check also the settings in the Data Management area dedicated to StreetPass to see if it's correctly enabled, just in case. Also, double-check your wifi switch is ON (orange light on the right side of the console on and blinking)

checked and it all seems to be turned on :(

i guess i will keep trying but i was expecting at least 1. i suppose i need to go somewhere with more people

Meier

I'm working at UT.. probably will walk to the Student Activities Center for lunch today and hopefully get a hit or two. Seeing a Source Code screening tonight which will hopefully yield some results as well.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Meier said:
I'm working at UT.. probably will walk to the Student Activities Center for lunch today and hopefully get a hit or two. Seeing a Source Code screening tonight which will hopefully yield some results as well.
UT Knoxville? I got 2 today on campus.

moozoom

Made a little experiment in nintendogs this afternoon.

In the game there is a podometer mode in which you walk the dog to earn his affection and make him happy ( more steps = more happy) but I didn't know if the steps counted also for the daily coins you can earn so I tried it : answer is yes.

When coming home I had 5500 steps in nintendogs, and the dog gave me a gift (a hat), but I also had 10 coins in the main menu that I used later to unlock puzzle pieces in the mii plaza.

Neuromancer said:
Wouldn't it be creepy if you were a girl and started noticing you were getting 'street passed' by the same dude every day?
THE STREET PASS IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE o________0

I wonder if you could bring like 50000 3DS to a closed space, like a convetion hall, would the 3DS crash

panda21

moozoom said:
Made a little experiment in nintendogs this afternoon.

In the game there is a podometer mode in which you walk the dog to earn his affection and make him happy ( more steps = more happy) but I didn't know if the steps counted also for the daily coins you can earn so I tried it : answer is yes.

When coming home I had 5500 steps in nintendogs, and the dog gave me a gift (a hat), but I also had 10 coins in the main menu that I used later to unlock puzzle pieces in the mii plaza.

the dorgs give you hats?! fuck yeah

This feature actually sounds pretty cool. Clever way for Nintendo to give you an incentive to carry the system around (aside from playing games on the go).

Struct09

Just got my 100th tag :D

332v7n8.jpg

this is nuts, today i walked through school for like 15 minutes, i found eight more people on street pass! so that makes 10 people in 2 days! this is awesome. currently almost done with super mario galaxy and other M pictures and am on my way to saving my mii in Find Mii.

Do Street Pass Mii's fare any better than those stupid cats in the Find Mii RPG?

Also are they one use only, like the cats?

lawblob said:
Heading out the door to run an errand. 3DS will be in my pocket! Who knows what adventures await!
Good luck and godspeed.

Struct09

Neuromancer said:
Do Street Pass Mii's fare any better than those stupid cats in the Find Mii RPG?

Yes, especially if you tag someone multiple times. Each tag causes an increase in level for that Mii. They are one use only for each tag, if they run away you can't use them again until you tag that person again.

PKrockin said:
The person I found yesterday isn't available to recruit for Find Mii, nor did I get a puzzle piece. Is this normal?

You have to play the games right when you tag them. If you exit out of Mii Plaza, you lose your chance :(

Neuromancer said:

Good luck and godspeed.
The Miis level up when you streetpass them more than once. For example, if you met a Mii 5 times, they'll be level 5 in Find Mii.

PKrockin

Struct09 said:
You have to play the games right when you tag them. If you exit out of Mii Plaza, you lose your chance :(

So I need to be in the Mii Plaza in sleep mode when I street pass someone to use their Mii in Find Mii and Puzzle Quest? :(

giggas

I will sadly probably never StreetPass anyone unless it's planned. My normal day is me going to work in which no one will have a 3DS with them, and then driving home. I usually walk around my town when it's nice out, but I have a feeling I probably won't get many people this way.

Bummer, because I really want to get some puzzle pieces and play the Mii RPG. Those cats can eat shit. Can't believe it was 2 coins per cat for them to run away like cowards!

syoaran

PKrockin said:
So I need to be in the Mii Plaza in sleep mode when I street pass someone to use their Mii in Find Mii and Puzzle Quest? :(

No, after you select Mii plaza from the menu and greet the new Mii's via streetpass, you must play the games then or loose them.

donkey show said:
The Miis level up when you streetpass them more than once. For example, if you met a Mii 5 times, they'll be level 5 in Find Mii.
Ohhhhhhhh

I need to meet more people

giggas said:
I will sadly probably never StreetPass anyone unless it's planned. My normal day is me going to work in which no one will have a 3DS with them, and then driving home. I usually walk around my town when it's nice out, but I have a feeling I probably won't get many people this way.

Bummer, because I really want to get some puzzle pieces and play the Mii RPG. Those cats can eat shit. Can't believe it was 2 coins per cat for them to run away like cowards!
Yeah those cats are fucking lazy bastards

PKrockin

angelfly said:
No, but once you enter the Plaza and greet you have to use them then.

No, after you select Mii plaza from the menu and greet the new Mii's via streetpass, you must play the games then or loose them.

Oh, OK. I was showing someone else my 3DS so I exited out of Mii Plaza after I greeted the Mii so that was it. Thanks.

Izayoi

Banned
Murkas said:
This thread makes me want to buy a 3DS :(
Do it! It's a lot of fun.

chubigans said:
Man, when you put it like that...wow.
I know, right? We're long overdue.

EvilMario said:
Over 60 people with Pokemon and 0 for the 3DS yet.
Are you trying to run C-gear and StreetPass at the same time? Pokemon will be the only one picking anything up because it overrides StreetPass (doesn't actually put the 3DS asleep, it stays "on" technically).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Izayoi said:
Do it! It's a lot of fun.

I know, right? We're long overdue.

Are you trying to run C-gear and StreetPass at the same time? Pokemon will be the only one picking anything up because it overrides StreetPass (doesn't actually put the 3DS asleep, it stays "on" technically).

Nah. I've been using my DSi for the C-gear.

I'm gonna have to go to the mall or something this weekend because it appears that nobody in my office has a 3DS. I've been carrying it around for the past couple days and so far I've gotten no StreetPass hits. I may have to check out that StreetPass NYC meetup as well.

Mudkips

Banned
Stormwatch said:
What are you guys carrying your 3DS around in? It's not exactly small enough to fit in a pants pocket.

What kind of pants do you wear, son?

I carried it to work this morning in my left pants pocket.
Along with the little AR cards packet thing.
Along with my wallet.
Along with my cellphone.

Keys go in the right pants pocket.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I found 1 Mii yesterday, that was kind of cool... I need to go on a long train journey though, people are always playing handhelds whenever I travel by train. Trainstations full of people too, of course.

wwm0nkey

PetriP-TNT said:
THE STREET PASS IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE o________0

I wonder if you could bring like 50000 3DS to a closed space, like a convetion hall, would the 3DS crash
I will be testing this at E3

Kintaco

ciD_Vain said:
i got one today during traffic on the 210 West near Pasadena, CA around 7:30am. I really wanted to see it for myself, but i had to wait until i got to school.
You wouldn't happen to be heading to PCC would you?

Mudkips said:
What kind of pants do you wear, son?

I carried it to work this morning in my left pants pocket.
Along with the little AR cards packet thing.
Along with my wallet.
Along with my cellphone.

Keys go in the right pants pocket.

Well, I was carrying it around in the Pull and Go inner pouch in my pocket and it was too bulky. If I take it out of there I have no problems. I just didn't want it to get dusty. I just ordered one of the pouches from the Club Nintendo site, so that should help there.

itxaka

Defeatist
beje said:
I got nothing in Metro and RENFE between Embajadores-Sol-Fuencarral today, guess it's because I go to work a little later than usual for the rest of the people and trains are almost empty. Let's see when I go back home, RENFE train is full of people coming from the campus in Cantoblanco and line 3 is always horribly crowded in the evenings.

Got nothing today on the metro between Tribunal and ronda de las comunicaciones :( Seems that not a lot of people have it yet.

But I got into a Game and the guy had it so we exchanged miis and SSF4 battle :D

EDIT: There is also this huge gathering the 2nd of April at the Jardines of Atocha. More than 150 people gathered last year to play their DS and this year is 3DS only. I'm gonna get Mii RICH BITCH.

Manmedaz

I'm in Paris and already encountered 6 people via StreetPass. That being said, today I had something strange : one of the guy I met was "met on invitation" ("rencontré sur invitation" in French). That's reaaaally strange, as all the other Miis are "met on StreetPass", and I met two other people today at the same time I met him. I was using the podometer app in Nintendogs, and when I opened my console, this guy was in my Nintendogs memo, but I couldn't use him in the Mii Plaza games (even if his Mii is in my Plaza)... Does anyone have an idea what this is ?

Meier

No luck on my walk to and from lunch unfortunately... am up to about 4,000 steps today though which is good. I don't walk nearly enough now that I don't rely on walking and/or mass transit to get to work. Here's to hoping there's more success tonight.

Spent my 10 coins on puzzle pieces and heroes. Kind of a fun little diversion/use for the coins -- I got a Mario hat from clearing a level in Find the Mii.

giggas said:
Play around with their magic and send the ones you don't have any use for atm back to the queue. Works pretty well for them being cats and all.

Top Bottom