• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Konami horizontal arcade shooter - Otomedius!

GhostSeed

You can kinda see the game screen.

aou104.jpg

OatmealMu

What was that movie where the main character dreams about flying over a sea of boobs?

I'd be all over that, and I'm terrible at shooters.

Troidal

Game Watch says its more like Parodius. Using the e-amusement network (used in most of their Bemani games), new items and stages can be added, vs. multiplayer and use of touch panel (DS port expected?? noooo) is also included.

duckroll

Troidal said:
Game Watch says its more like Parodius. Using the e-amusement network (used in most of their Bemani games), new items and stages can be added, vs. multiplayer and use of touch panel (DS port expected?? noooo) is also included.

DS port sounds shockingly possible now, because apparently you use the touch panel to lock on to enemy ships..... ^^;;;;;

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
SapientWolf said:
How long is it before ships are replaced by boobs that shoot boobs at other flying boobs until they explode into a smoldering pile of boobs?

HOLY SHIT GOTY

Troidal

Haha, wonderful. Konami getting back to its roots with more moe contents! :D

Is it just me or does the blue girl look like KOS-MOS? ^^;

Matt_C

My main concern is that with the larger character sprites, would it be easier to be hit in this game and harder to dodge enemy fire? The reason why ships were in the shape of ships because of hit detection issues. The last thing I want is to loose a life because some enemy shot at one of the character's legs.

Then again, I would love to have this on PSN because I doubt Konami will make PS2 games into 2007/2008. Besides, I have a funny feeling this would come out to North America since I detect less Parodius like "copyright infringement" style parody there. Remember, the United States is the land where lawyers get their panties wet when an enemy boss looks like a comic book character from the 1930's.

Jonnyram

I'm not too keen on the graphics, personally. Looks a bit too much like Gradius IV somehow. Either way, I'm unlikely to spend much on this unless a home version comes out. I'm not a big arcade-goer these days.

Matt_C said:
My main concern is that with the larger character sprites, would it be easier to be hit in this game and harder to dodge enemy fire? The reason why ships were in the shape of ships because of hit detection issues. The last thing I want is to loose a life because some enemy shot at one of the character's legs.

Who says the hitbox is the entire model?

D.Lo

The Blue chick looks like Arina from Waku Waku 7 - the hair looks like bunny ears.

EDIT - just saw the videos, doesn't look too great IMO. It has that 'old' 3D look to the foreground, where they look to distinct from the surroundings. Yeah, it does look like Gradius 4.

j^aws

guardian-legend.jpg

_dementia said:
It's like new Guardian Legend

Of course it's all in the eye of the beholder, but Lady-Ship > Bimbo-Ship! :p

...And don't get me started on Mother-Ships!

SapientWolf said:
How long is it before ships are replaced by boobs that shoot boobs at other flying boobs until they explode into a smoldering pile of boobs?

What you said kind of reminds me of that one game I only heard about, Astrotit.

According to those massive shots above, Otomedius isn't on par with Gradius V graphically, and that makes me a sad panda.

Can someone rehost the high-res cam footage?

ghibli99

WOW! Was feeling mildly enthusiastic about this last night... after seeing the shots, I just have to play this! I bet the music is really good, too. Konami, thank you for this, even though I'm still not feeling the character designs. Oh well, not important... if the game is fun, entertaining, and challenging, sign me up!

duckroll

This looks REALLY SOLID when you're looking at the good quality videos. It's pretty much what Battle Fantasia does for 2D fighters, but for shmups instead. Excellent celshading, and great use of 3D and effects while maintaining a really clean and colorful 2D look. The animations are solid too. :D

Pimpbaa

titties + gradius = greatness. Looks fun and the graphics look fantasic. But what are the chances of this being ported and come to north america? :/ I hope theres a ps2 port, wouldn't mind importing it if so.

Jonnyram

I dunno... it may be the choice of stage, but that good quality video doesn't look anywhere near as interesting as I thought the game looked from those distant photos. It lacked the bright colours and pop design. Until he died, I thought the scenery looked a lot like Gradius V level, but when he restarted, and all those starter enemies came on, it really reminded me of IV. Having said that, the photo jiji posted above looks HD to me, so it could be a step in the right direction. I would have been happier with a stricter Parodius-style, but I'll gladly take all the -dius they throw at me, basically.

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
I dunno... it may be the choice of stage, but that good quality video doesn't look anywhere near as interesting as I thought the game looked from those distant photos. It lacked the bright colours and pop design. Until he died, I thought the scenery looked a lot like Gradius V level, but when he restarted, and all those starter enemies came on, it really reminded me of IV. Having said that, the photo jiji posted above looks HD to me, so it could be a step in the right direction. I would have been happier with a stricter Parodius-style, but I'll gladly take all the -dius they throw at me, basically.

Oh I'm talking about the videos which will shortly appear that show stage 1, not the rupan one linked earlier. Stage 1 is REALLY colorful and filled with Parodius goodness. :D

Top Bottom