• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game do you think had the worst multiplayer launch?

The Argus

Halo MCC - You already know why
Halo 5 - Game released barebones with no content compared to previous Halo Releases, Shitty Aiming, UnFinished UI

tenor.gif

What? 5 shipped strong and has only gotten better. It's been one of the best since release. Not sure what you're getting at here with "shitty aiming"

MCC had a rocky start, but that's mostly to blame with it being 4 games in one.

Driveclub was so bad they had to postpone the PSN+ version in order to not nuke the servers and piss off potential free to complete upgrades.

SFV was a mess.

Nielm

GTA Online

I remember how bad it was. First of all, your character wouldn't load into multiplayer, or it would take forever. The servers went down because of the overload of players, and even after it was fixed there were a ton of issues.

JBwB

BF4 and GTAO.

If the MPs for both games weren't as amazing as they were then I would've dropped them immediately.

_Aaron_

Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

I almost bought an Xbox One just for it. Glad I dodged the bullet after hearing what a mess it turned to be.

Tevious

GTA5 Online was probably the worst I've experienced. It took forever to load and then servers would crash constantly. Some other games I remember being bad:

Final Fantasy XIV because of the lack of content.

Mortal Kombat 9 was down for it's first month because of the PSN hacking.

Vol5

Bulletstorm on PS3. MP was flat broke. I never got to play even one online match it was that fucked. At least DriveClub gave me a game if I was persistent.

What? 5 shipped strong and has only gotten better. It's been one of the best since release. Not sure what you're getting at here with "shitty aiming"

MCC had a rocky start, but that's mostly to blame with it being 4 games in one.

Driveclub was so bad they had to postpone the PSN+ version in order to not nuke the servers and piss off potential free to complete upgrades.

SFV was a mess.
Its not the problem it was 4 games at launch. The problem was 343 advertised it as a working game, and it released broken and incomplete at launch. And still broken till today.

And Halo 5 definetly did not ship strong. Dont cape for 343. That shit launched with no forge, broken thearte mode, very limited custom game settings, many gametypes missing, no BTB at launch lmao. Missing carnage reports, i can go on and on

Dont cape for that piece of shit company

Blam

People are saying MCC. But does anyone remember how fucking bad the GTAO was?

That thing had problems day in and day out. It still has problems.

barit

Diablo 3 was a little bumby but at least there was always a chance to get in and damn was it worth the struggle for the first 10h+ till you hit endgame and saw all its flaws.

I would go with DriveClub. MP didn't work even months after launch. Super embarrasing for every party involved

UMGAWA

Some good suggestions already in the thread however I'd like to add;

BRINK

It was such a let down, I was so hyped for it.

Brink was DOA due to some major server issues of its own, aswell as releasing right during that huge PSN server outage back in 2011

Its a shame really. That game was fucking awesome

Bluth54

The broken chief collection

I haven't played the Master Chief Collection but from what I've read about the what happened with the game I can't imagine it getting any worst than that, especially for something that should be such a good collection for fans of that series.

Nameless

Battlefield 4. The amount of bugs, glitches, crashes, lag, and overall jank early adopters had to put up with was ridiculous. As far as the game came it never did iron it all out.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
The broken chief collection

Out of every game to have a broken multiplayer game, this was the only one that was actually broken

Games like battlefield 4 where 100% fine for me, but MCC was a battle of playlists just not working, or waiting a minimum of 8 minutes to find a game.

Fucking shocking like

EDIT : I forgot ( thankfully) about brink. I've never seen a more unplayable game

LORANT92

Battlefield 4 is the first one that comes to mind, although DICE
LA
did a wonderful job fixing it up.

Would multiplayer games that never saw the light of day count? Spec Ops: The Line had a MP beta, and if you've played or seen it, you know exactly why it was canned.

Wiped89

Driveclub.

It's a game about being in online multiplayer clubs.

The online multiplayer clubs didn't work. For weeks.

GTA5 Online was probably the worst I've experienced. It took forever to load and then servers would crash constantly. Some other games I remember being bad:

Final Fantasy XIV because of the lack of content.

Mortal Kombat 9 was down for it's first month because of the PSN hacking.

GTA5 Online still takes forever to load matches or lobbies, which is why I don't play it anymore

I kind of hated Gears of War 2.

This is so the right answer. HOLY SHIT was it bad.

Severe host advantage
AWFUL netcode
tons of lag
lag-switching
glitches everywhere (shield glitch, crabwalking was even worse than 1, infinite ammo)
stupid dumbass design decisions (who thought it was a good idea to make smoke grenades send you flopping to the ground like some ragdoll? THAT YOU CAN ALSO TAG TO WALLS! Good luck ever getting up)

It's a miracle anyone even bothered sticking to the game. I did despite how bad it was because I simply loved Gears that much. I think people forget truly how terrible it really was.

Halo The MC
Driveclub (sucks that it sullied the game since Evo kept working on it and it's a solid racer

Socom Confrontation on PS3 was ass too at launch. Slant Six said it supported trophies and at launch it didn't have them. It was on the cover box if I recall correctly.

norm9

Gotta be SOCOM. Even though the game wasn't at fault, the length of the PSN outage essentially killed the game's had of gaining any kind of traction.

Yup. SOcom didn't work for like a month. Anybody that wanted to play it moved on by the time psn was fixed.

And broken ass MCC. Couldn't even get co-op to work right.

Nowise10

MCC was pretty bad, but I honestly remember Battlefield 4 freezing every other game.

But MCC still has issues and BF4 was fixed in around a month.

Also remembering GTA Online. Was an absolute chore trying to get into a lobby with 2 or 3 friends, even to this day (well, I haven't tried it in like 8+ months, but 8 months ago we still had issues).

Goldboy

Wait, is this actually true? I know the game had a rough launch, but I'd just assumed it had all gradually been ironed out. Is it seriously still broken after almost 2.5 years?!

The game isn't really broken anymore, it's a bit buggy here and there but I haven't personally experienced any serious issues since a couple big patches ago, and I have hundreds of hours logged on the multiplayer. Not to downplay anybody who is still having serious issues with MCC, just putting it out there that it works fine for me.

Still doesn't excuse the terrible state the game launched in and stayed in for months.

Top Bottom