• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAST RMX |OT| Gotta Go FAST

rog3r

Neo Member
This game is great. I thought I was going to play it when I needed a break from Zelda. However I'm still waiting for Zelda to drop through my door so I've been playing this for 3hrs.
27% through the Championship mode and it's starting to ramp up in difficulty.
Great first impression of the Switch

TheMoon

Hero Mode is not new. Was in FAST Racing Neo's base version. Maybe worth mentioning that there are 6 new tracks among those 30. 24 are from NEO + its DLC. Similarly there are 5 new vehicles in RMX.

Caayn

Was the rubberbanding toned down? If so its insta-bought later today.
Would like to know this as well. It killed my enjoyed from the WiiU version. If they fixed the rubber banding and made the difficulty more forgiving I'd be interested in buying the Switch version.

TheMoon

I think they revamped it, my Switch is literally minutes away according to tracking so I'll give some impressions later today.

First I'm hearing of it. I know they rebalanced the base difficulty (trash AI) and Hero Mode is unlocked from the start (as opposed to having to fully beat the base mode) but they've said nothing about changes to Hero Mode itself, afaik.

Would like to know this as well. It killed my enjoyed from the WiiU version. If they fixed the rubber banding and made the difficulty more forgiving I'd be interested in buying the Switch version.

No idea how it works in practice but yes, they addressed the "difficulty" ...according to their interviews.

Sylfurd

bought and played a little with it, looks fantastic in solo on TV and screen and 60fps.

In 2 player mode you have some rare hiccups, but it struggles to maintain 40 fps in 4 player mode, depending on the level !

Seems really fun, the gameplay is great !

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Played it a bit to test my new Switch and it looks very nice both on the big screen and as a handheld.

Did they change the controls? Wasn't the colour swap on L? Why is it now on X? It feels way less comfortable on X.

And I need to get a Switch Pro Controllers, playing with the Joycons while needing to use both the shoulders and the triggers is not nice.

TheMoon

Played it a bit to test my new Switch and it looks very nice both on the big screen and as a handheld.

Did they change the controls? Wasn't the colour swap on L? Why is it now on X? It feels way less comfortable on X.

And I need to get a Switch Pro Controllers, playing with the Joycons while needing to use both the shoulders and the triggers is not nice.

It has full button remap.

Jaagen

I hope the guys at DigitalFoundry takes a look at this to see what's improved (aside from resolution) over the Wii U version.

Since Zelda didn't arrive today, I downloaded this game and yeah, I am having a blast. I am a sucker for anti-grav racing-games ( Wipeout HD and F-Zero GX are the big ones ), and this is a good one. Will keep me occupied for the next few days easily, and beyond that if I get a good group of friends to play it with online.

can anyone confirm that you can't play splitscreen in tabletop mode?
4H4shmr.jpg
i just tested and you definitely can

ZeroX03

Banned
can anyone confirm that you can't play splitscreen in tabletop mode?

You can play up to four person split screen in tabletop mode. That's where dynamic res bugs and stuff come into play though, and just by sheer screen real estate I wouldn't do more than two person.

I really love F Zero and really don't like Wipeout - how will I feel about this? I love how tight the racing is in F Zero, whilst Wipeout feels way too floaty and I don't like powerups.

I'm a huge GX fan, and I loved Neo. Just don't expect to be F-Zero or Wipeout, it really is its own thing.

That said, I'm glad this game is getting more exposure thanks to a fresh start on Switch! Shinen deserves it, they've clearly put a lot of effort into this.

woah thanks guys.
I didn't think that they would implement it, because tabletop multiplayer wasn't mentioned specifically anywhere.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It has full button remap.

Ha, now it's much better.

Funny thing why I missed it the first time. I was playing on the projector and because it's very sunny outside the difference in the pink shade between the cursor (selected button) and the normal button wasn't very visible. So I was pushing up but had the impression that nothing is happening.

Cerium

It's kinda relevant when a "new features" is not a "new feature" because it was in the old game already. :)

The only new thing is that it's unlocked right away.

I didn't list it as a new feature, I was pointing out that the stuff in it is supposedly new.

Regardless I changed it.

ZeroX03

Banned
Honestly I don't notice the HD Rumble (playing with Pro Controller). Same goes for most games. I was actually complaining before the Switch launch about how distracting I find most rumble and often dislike, but HD Rumble is very subtle.

Yousefb

Enjoyed this on the Wii U. It's certainly no F-Zero, but pretty fun nonetheless. Is it worth a repurchase on switch? Thinking of getting it if only for the local co-op.

Trying it for a few minutes (one cup to be precise), I'd say RMX is quite a bit improved over the Wii U version, not only in terms of graphics.

Steering seems to be less floaty and the CPU less rubberband-y. But I'll have to play for a bit more to be sure.

Wait, really? Steering is tighter? So a bit more like F Zero?

Alternatively, are there any machines that control closer to F Zero machines? I know a lot of the machines feel really differently, but didn't play the Wii U version enough to experiment that far.

Datschge

Regardless I changed it.
I think you are misunderstanding where the other posters are coming from and what the text on the site means. Hero mode just changes the rules ("new rules", combining energy and boost bar in one, F-Zero style) which causes the gameplay challenges in the game to be different ("new challenges"). Now what's different between NEO and RMX is that where in NEO needed you to play through a significant part of the game (which was hard due to its steep rise in difficulty so many players never go to try that mode) in RMX it's available much earlier.

Cerium

I think you are misunderstanding where the other posters are coming from and what the text on the site means. Hero mode just changes the rules ("new rules", combining energy and boost bar in one, F-Zero style) which causes the gameplay challenges in the game to be different ("new challenges"). Now what's different between NEO and RMX is that where in NEO needed you to play through a significant part of the game (which was hard due to its steep rise in difficulty so many players never go to try that mode) in RMX it's available much earlier.

Better?

Peltz

I really love F Zero and really don't like Wipeout - how will I feel about this? I love how tight the racing is in F Zero, whilst Wipeout feels way too floaty and I don't like powerups.

It's no F-Zero GX. But it's pretty cool. It is a bit more floaty like Wipeout. I give it a 8/10. The graphics are surprisingly good.

But the collisions look a bit off. The ships don't explode right or spin out properly. Otherwise, it looks really good and really shows off the power of the hardware (especially for a launch game).

Wii U never pushed graphics this good and the sense of speed is pretty great. It definitely feels worth the $20.

Dominator

Played for about a half hour, the HD Rumble is a bit much. I think I'll turn it off for this one.

Great game so far though, I like the switching colors aspect.

I haven't bought it yet, but I played it at a preview event and yes, the AI was much more forgiving.

Rezbit

This is a really solid game. Fun to play with split joycon between 2 people. It's kinda a cross between F-Zero and Wipeout. Looks slick as all get out on the tablet

RichGS

No reviews yet as the eshop only went live yesterday. Couldn't redeem a code for it until then! Probably going to be the first game I personally tackle on the Switch though.

Top Bottom