• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Naughty Dog buy themselves back from Sony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfstruck

Yah, exclusivity is holding Naughty Dog back in terms of sales. Imagine the numbers of 10/10 reviews they will have got from PC, Microsoft and Nintendo sites if they are free of Sony's shackles too.

On PC, they will not get constrained technologically speaking, and their games can be on portable if on Switch.

lol

Floody

Yah, exclusivity is holding Naughty Dog back in terms of sales. Imagine the numbers of 10/10 reviews they will have got from PC, Microsoft and Nintendo sites if they are free of Sony's shackles too.

On PC, they will not get constrained technologically speaking, and their games can be on portable if on Switch.

If they were making games for the PC, Switch and everything inbetween they'd be far more constrained, they'd also lose ICE Team, which is a big reason they are so good on a technical level. They'd probably sell more copies if they keep the quality up, but they are hardly slacking there, TLoU probably sold 10+ million copies and Uncharted 4 isn't far behind.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'd love to be able to buy ND's games without having to buy a PlayStation.

TI82

Banned
Fuck no, sorry for being crass but naughty dog is in a very good position. They have a triple A status and allowed to work on seemingly whatever titles they would like. But even better than that they are a privileged team in that they have access to the console designers and engineers to better power their ideas. If they were third party they would not have this privilege and their status as technical wizards wouldn't be as high as it is now.

This idea was awful in 2013 and is still awful now OP.

Outside of a few indie focused publishers, the only one I can think of that allows as much freedom, support and patience with their studios is Nintendo, and even then, Nintendo wouldn't sign off on the mature, narrative driven titles that Sony lets their partners make.

I mean they're not perfect, and I definitely think they've been far too quick to close studios that haven't quite hit performance targets in recent years, but the sheer variety of their first and second party output puts everyone else to shame, from tiny budget titles to big AAA new IP, they're leaving almost all the other big publishers in the dust.

Basically I think Naughty Dog would have to be insane to want to partner up with any other third party publisher.

Sure, they'd get a short term profit windfall, but good luck to them not getting stuck running one franchise into the ground, having all creative freedom stifled and not getting shut down or altered beyond recognition within a decade, as has happened to so many studios under the likes of EA, Activision and Ubisoft.

Why would ND care about the amount they sale?

They have creative freedom and are getting a big marketing push as well as great reviews as of now.

They already can do what they want.

Naughty Dog games on PC would be amazing. No more holding back.

Who is going to fund them while letting them do basically what they want?

What's that supposed to mean?

There is no hidden meaning behind what I said. The whole point of exclusives is to convince you to buy their platform.

I want Nintendo EAD to buy themselves out?

Is that how it works? They are the same position as Naughty Dog. Wholly owned

Yes. All great first party studios go on the market to the highest bidder(EA, Activision or Ubisoft). I see no way this could go wrong.

No ND stays with Sony cause its the best fit.
ND does what they want when it comes to their games. Sony will do everything to make them happy so they are already doing what they want.

Sorry for the bump... The Decima Engine thread brought me here. A few people did raise some valid points. :p

An almost 4 year old bump because I made a post mocking this thread for its console wars nonsense and you thought there were some "valid points" raised? SMH

Dynomutt

This is stupid. The quality of threads lately is baffling. Not only is this a necro-bump it's pure nonsense. Where are the gatekeepers?

what with all the recent 'passive agressive' port begging thread recently in regards to sony games, developers and engines...??

- Should guerilla license Decima to games for other platform
- Should sony publish bloodborne for PC
- Should ND buy themselves out of Sony

etc etc etc...

the envy of non-playstation owners are real these past few weeks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom