• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey Jr.

Hopefully they get a camera that doesn't have this constant haze around it.

Their 1080p never looks good compared to Kinda Funny for instance.

ArjanN

if you say so... I didn't see anything that made me wish I hadn't seen it

I felt gametrailers reviews were always pretty spoiler-y, not in the sense of actual big story beats, but it's still a video where you want to show excting stuff, so they often did show off a bunch of environments/weapons etc that in a game can be just about as much of a spoiler. I realize that's just kind of the nature of video reviews though, since just putting a bunch of old b-roll footage or a talking head would be pretty boring.

Karu

Bummer about Frame Trap. My Tuesday workday medicine. Wednesdays I have generally off. And I won't be able to wait til Thursday.

My life is in ruin.
in before FT posts Thursday anyway

New camera could be cool, tho! And count me in the group that didn't enjoy the Beta of For Honor all that much, but loves the streams!

luchadork

making the 1 year anniversary show an exclusive event for people attending is such an amateur move. honestly, its a little insulting that they'll take my money for a whole year but when it comes to celebrating OUR support of them, sorry, only people that live locally or can afford a couple of thousand dollars of flights and accomodation can be a part of it. theres not even a virtual ticket option? you could've made a bit more money. you could've included everyone. instead youre gonna get a couple of people from the area and a bunch of 'superfan™' whales.

Tankard

making the 1 year anniversary show an exclusive event for people attending is such an amateur move. honestly, its a little insulting that they'll take my money for a whole year but when it comes to celebrating OUR support of them, sorry, only people that live locally or can afford a couple of thousand dollars of flights and accomodation can be a part of it. theres not even a virtual ticket option? you could've made a bit more money. you could've included everyone. instead youre gonna get a couple of people from the area and a bunch of 'superfan™' whales.

Like this, out of nowhere?

Oh lucha, you were doing so well, come on with this bullshit entitlement.
Ot at least try not to portray your complaint like a savage person.

This is just straight up nonsense

It's a meet and greet with their first attempt at an actual live show aspect, get over yourselves. They've brought it up as a fun event that's coming up but by no means are they treating this like the next huge milestone event for EZA

This isn't 12 hours of streaming exclusive to live attendees and they've said multiple times they will film some things and post online

It is on the anniversary date but it also helps that that date is on a Tuesday instead of a weekend or holiday

"Virtual ticket" defeats the whole purpose of streaming to begin with and would actually be an example of the "excluding fans in favor of people with money" you're complaining about

I understand that they want to make it special for people who attend in person. Personally I would be satisfied with something like a recap or highlight video after the fact for patrons, if that's possible.

Budi

Yeah, fuck them for doing something special for their anniversary.

PduPGX6.gif

AAK

They can't afford full production equipment that would take care of all the sound + video feeds from an arena setting to broadcast the event on the internet. Going to a live show is the only way they can do something more special than a Tuesday group stream with their current budget.

luchadork

Like this, out of nowhere?

Oh lucha, you were doing so well, come on with this bullshit entitlement.
Ot at least try not to portray your complaint like a savage person.

theres a difference between feeling excluded and feeling entitled. if it wasnt the anniversary i wouldnt have an issue with it. as it is, my only option would be to spend $2000 on flights and accomodation.

just out of curiosity, which bit of my complaint did you find 'savage'?

Hey remember the Sonic 25th anniversary stream from last year?

That's what happens when you throw a big live streaming event but don't really know what you're doing. And if EZA tried and the result was something like that, or audio was completely out of sync, or any other problem, you would have people whining that it's unwatchable.

If they had the resources of GT and its parent companies they could actually have people running it, but right now it's just them and they're presumably all involved in the show

They're throwing a live show and making sure that live show is as good as possible for the people there. They can't interact with chat and can't correct anything on the stream if there's an issue, which are two major parts of any EZA stream

If you're looking at it like "oh, so they took my money and now I can't be apart of it?" No. They took your money and used it to make a bunch of shows and stream a bunch of hours every week. They're charging for the event to make back the funds so technically the Patreon money isn't even paying for the party, which again, you could go to if you really wanted

Karu

if it wasnt the anniversary i wouldnt have an issue with it. as it is, my only option would be to spend $2000 on flights and accomodation.
Meh. I agree with this. Don't see what the big deal with this "complaint" is, honestly. It's a simple disagreement about how EZA plans to do their anniversary.

Meh. I agree with this. Don't see what the big deal with this "complaint" is, honestly. It's a simple disagreement about how EZA plans to do their anniversary.
I understand being disappointed but I have an issue with hot takes like "amateur", "insulting" and making fun of fans who have the money and are willing to spend it

If we're dishing out hot takes on people's money, I think it's bordering on irresponsible for the dev of Scorn to be giving EZA $500 a month for a year now, but that's their money and without the big monthly donations they'd be even further from their 50k goal. I wouldn't do it but I really, really appreciate it. (I'm also looking at it from the perspective of struggling game devs, who knows what financial situation they're actually in. haha)

It just sucks to see people pointing fingers and declaring betrayalton over something trivial just because it has the word "anniversary" attached to it

luchadork

If they had the resources of GT and its parent companies they could actually have people running it, but right now it's just them and they're presumably all involved in the show

If you're looking at it like "oh, so they took my money and now I can't be apart of it?" No. They took your money and used it to make a bunch of shows and stream a bunch of hours every week. They're charging for the event to make back the funds so technically the Patreon money isn't even paying for the party, which again, you could go to if you really wanted

yeh. i understand your point. shit does and will go wrong. but their whole business revolves around streaming, they stream multiple times a week, and have suggested parts of the event might be live streamed anyways. they are live streamers, celebrating a year of live streaming by having an event that isnt live streamed. okthen.jpg

anyways, like i said, if they needed to charge money for the event, thats fine. and in fact probably makes sense. but theres a difference between $20 and $2000. i feel like i'm the biggest advocate of them making money on here. but that difference between 20 and 2000 doesnt go to them. that would go to the airline and the hotel. as is, they leave money on the table by not offering a virtual ticket. i dont feel like me being able to watch online detracts anything from the experience of those attending live.

demu

Hey, in this thread is no negativity allowed! But no, seriously, I pretty much agree with lucha.

They are fully aware of the fact that they have fans all over the world, so why exlude almost all of them from the 1st anniversary? I mean, it is a pretty big deal for EZA, isn't it? It just sucks to be left out.
Anyone know if they're unable to stream the event from the venue, or if they just decided not to do it?

Dmax3901

I see you have failed to take my advice to heart.

Karu

I understand being disappointed but I have an issue with hot takes like "amateur", "insulting" and making fun of fans who have the money and are willing to spend it

If we're dishing out hot takes on people's money, I think it's bordering on irresponsible for the dev of Scorn to be giving EZA $500 a month for a year now, but that's their money and without the big monthly donations they'd be even further from their 50k goal. I wouldn't do it but I really, really appreciate it. (I'm also looking at it from the perspective of struggling game devs, who knows what financial situation they're actually in. haha)

It just sucks to see people pointing fingers and declaring betrayalton over something trivial just because it has the word "anniversary" attached to it
You are right, I was very aware of what part I quoted and what part I didn't quote, though. :D Eiterh way, my "Oh why is this so surprising/insulting of a criticsm"-shtick wasn't really appropriate here.

Having said that... I don't feel (in the very limited scope of EZA and Neogaf and whatnot ;-)) that the anniversary is that trivial.

Tankard

theres a difference between feeling excluded and feeling entitled. if it wasnt the anniversary i wouldnt have an issue with it. as it is, my only option would be to spend $2000 on flights and accomodation.

just out of curiosity, which bit of my complaint did you find 'savage'?

I have no problem with your criticism of their anniversary plans, but to say things like "amateur" and "its a little insulting that they'll take my money for a whole year" it is a bit too aggressive, but of course you won't agree, i doubt you ever realize how agressive your criticisms come through, you think they are normal, they are not.

About their anniversary plans, i agree that they could have a set up to at least stream everything to people, as i understand they won't, but you can do a lot better in the way you phrase your stuff, you can absolutely do it without being disrespectful.

I have to say i kind of agree with Lucha.

This being their only anniversary thing is a strange decision. If they did this and a separate long stream you would not hear me complain. This also wont increase their Patreon count or twitch subs unlike something a big stream could do. The Patreon has pretty much stagnated since E3 it needs something big to pass that 40K and a anniversary stream has a much better chance of doing that then an event that at most 10% of existing patrons attend.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, in this thread is no negativity allowed! But no, seriously, I pretty much agree with lucha.
Nobody is getting excluded the event will be filmed people will get to see it what's worth seeing. That said they better make sure that it's getting on tape :-x.

Other than that can some people dial down on the baby rage. I refuse to believe that people are not smart enough to communicate their grievances without coming of as giant babies. There's just no way. I promise that it will be more effective if people take the time calm their tits and read what they write before posting they might even learn that there could be good reasons for why things will turn out the way they do or we could even have a decent conversation and maybe reach more optimal solutions.

Or we could all go the lucha way that actually would be fun too, got nothing against fruitless savagery.

No issue in them not streaming it. Especially their first year doing this. They're recording the event and will show it in some form down the road. I'm not going to it as I'm out of state but I'd rather they pull off a successful show, get a good foundation and grow from there. It's no different than the PSX fan feedback. They could have gone the safe route and done a super long group stream for the 1 year and people would have been fine. I appreciate them taking a chance and trying something much more unknown

Dmax3901

Anyone in here know (or perhaps Blood or Ben could chime in if they're around), what software the Allies use to edit the footage they capture from games, and how they handle the mix of voiceover/music/game sound with their reviews? Is it all one program?

I have to say i kind of agree with Lucha.

This being their only anniversary thing is a strange decision. If they did this and a separate long stream you would not hear me complain. This also wont increase their Patreon count or twitch subs unlike something a big stream could do. The Patreon has pretty much stagnated since E3 it needs something big to pass that 40K and a anniversary stream has a much better chance of doing that then an event that at most 10% of existing patrons attend.
To be fair. They still might do a big group stream, you just don't have to announce that a month in advance for people to fly out/whatever

I do agree though, I'm surprised that they haven't done a big 24hr stream or something in an effort to raise awareness and try to reach 50k

Anyone in here know (or perhaps Blood or Ben could chime in if they're around), what software the Allies use to edit the footage they capture from games, and how they handle the mix of voiceover/music/game sound with their reviews? Is it all one program?
They edit in Adobe Premiere, Jones records his voiceover in Audacity (free program)

To be fair. They still might do a big group stream, you just don't have to announce that a month in advance for people to fly out/whatever

I do agree though, I'm surprised that they haven't done a big 24hr stream or something in an effort to raise awareness and try to reach 50k

They edit in Adobe Premiere, Jones records his voiceover in Audacity (free program)

Fair point, i personally doubt it.

ShadyK54

Just want to say I have no qualms about whether or not they want to stream the anniversary stuff. I'm just happy they've made it a year & have gotten to the point where they can do something like this.

Hope whoever can make it out has fun!

PepperedHam

yeh. i understand your point. shit does and will go wrong. but their whole business revolves around streaming, they stream multiple times a week, and have suggested parts of the event might be live streamed anyways. they are live streamers, celebrating a year of live streaming by having an event that isnt live streamed. okthen.jpg
They do plenty of content that isn't live streamed.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
W-when's Frame....oh. :(

I'm perfectly happy with a recording of the actual Anniversary show but I suppose it being on the actual anniversary Tuesday night and that meaning there is probably no group stream is... a bit of a shitter to swallow? Hopefully they'll do a nice big one some day that week too?

They'd probably be able to afford a studio for a couple months with some of the cash the high rollers of the community will be splashing out on travel tickets and junk to do disgusting palm flesh swaps with The Nine. Womp wommmpp.

Secretly the community wants them to remain in Jones' garage forever and a change of the stretch goals to "The Boys Move In" would have them at 50k in no time.

DubyaLucha

Neo Member
Just want to say I have no qualms about whether or not they want to stream the anniversary stuff. I'm just happy they've made it a year & have gotten to the point where they can do something like this.

Hope whoever can make it out has fun!
Agreed. It's a celebration. It's fine if not everyone can be included. We will all survive.

That being said, Jones hinted at other plans for 2017, so there may be more opportunities to meet with them. I don't see why we have to feel entitled to them having to juggle putting on the concert and streaming. They can do what they like and we will all see footage eventually. It's fine.

I don't think we need to resort to insulting fans who want to travel and be a part of the event. Seems petty to me.

Mario007

According to twitter Damiani is disappearing into his Zelda bunker for the review

See ya Space Cowboy

Man it's a shame that Damiani is reviewing Zelda. Giving the Zelda review to the biggest Zelda fanboy in the world (probably) is all kinds of problematic. I still remember his Star Fox Zero review and how out of line with the general consensus it was.

Karu

Man it's a shame that Damiani is reviewing Zelda. Giving the Zelda review to the biggest Zelda fanboy in the world (probably) is all kinds of problematic. I still remember his Star Fox Zero review and how out of line with the general consensus it was.
That was, is and will never not be a good thing, though, no matter how much certain individuals in every single review thread like to think so. The clickbait-argument is so lazy. (Not that you used that argument, I steered into generality at the end there)

In regards to Damiani specifically...
Wind Waker HD

Regardless, Zelda scores historically incredibly well, so an amazing score won't be an outlier by any means in all probability.

VanWinkle

Super pumped that they got a new camera. But, Easy Allies, PLEASE, start taking focusing and composition a little more seriously.

This could have looked so much better if they just took a second to level the shot and center the subjects. It's not hard at all and it makes it look way better. This here just looks hastily thrown together:

bJErKxg.png

A little bit of adjustment to make it more like this would go a long way:

OO17Rtw.png

Don't get me wrong; I LOVE the show, and I love EZA in general. I just wish they put a little more care into the production side.

Yeah, 1 year anniversary, and for 99% of their patrons, nothing is happening.

Kinda weak. Ohh well.

Yeah, I agree. I think this anniversary event is awesome, but there needs to be a general anniversary celebration for everyone, since the vast majority don't have the funds and/or the means to go out to LA for this event. That seems so obvious to me.

Hah, I've got zero qualms with them doing this nor do I think/expect that this would be streamed...with that said, my favorite video game site is putting on a concert(?) or some type of performance? I can't fathom what this is, but they're all insanely talented and likeable people so i'm sure those who will be there will have a blast. Luckily, i've got a solid back up plan with Mass Effect if I won't see them on their anniversary.

I do, however, kind of strongly recommend them having some kind of group stream that week as i'd bet they could raise some serious $ for their Patreon for those who want to celebrate with them who can't make it out to LA on a Tuesday night in March.

Mario007

That was, is and will never not be a good thing, though, no matter how much certain individuals in every single review thread like to think so. The clickbait-argument is so lazy. (Not that you used that argument, I steered into generality at the end there)

In regards to Damiani specifically...
Wind Waker HD

Regardless, Zelda scores historically incredibly well, so an amazing score won't be an outlier by any means in all probability.

Listening to that review it really felt like Damiani was out to prove those complaining about controls and graphics wrong with Star Fox Zero.

I generally don't like his reviews though, they seem to push a narrative rather than review a game. Basically it feels like (especially when it comes to Nintendo stuff) like he's out there to prove that imaginary guy who's annoying voice he always does wrong. Coupled that with the fact that he lets stuff like referring to lightning as "the goddess" on a professional review go by just shows to me that he isn't as good at the review process as the other allies.

Like for example with Huber, despite his hype, I totally trust with RE7 review because I've seen enough times that when it comes to reviewing he can tone it down. In Damiani's reviews, his persona shines through.

abrack08

Really bugs me when people try to invent reasons for why someone would *incorrectly* score a game higher or lower than the majority of other outlets. Maybe Damiani just liked Star Fox Zero more than some other reviewers and fans, rather than "pushing an agenda" or trying to prove the imaginary-voice-guy wrong?

I also have no problem with him reviewing a Zelda, if anything I feel like he's more likely to be a harsher critic because he expects so much from the series.

I think I voiced my opinions on the anniversary event already but: I do wish that a big 10-12 hour stream extravaganza on EZA Day would be a yearly tradition, but I'm also excited for whatever content we get out of the concert. Only thing that would really bring it down is if something happened to the recording or the quality was poor and we didn't get any video at all :(

Agree kinda. When Damiani speaks about Zelda or anything Nintendo I just start to tune him out because his general "Nintendo can do no wrong (usually)" way of talking about them gives little to no actual information while being condescending about everything else. But thats any fan of anything honestly. Hence why Huber can say no wrong when talking about Resident Evil because I too am a fan and generally agree with everything he says haha.

I am curious as to what I see as a pretty hardcore Zelda fan thinks of the game, but hopefully he can stay focused when editing his thoughts into a review that gives us a real idea what its like. What I personally like about EZA though is generally the crew gets together and talks about a game they all played and it's a more apt "review" for me.

Super pumped that they got a new camera. But, Easy Allies, PLEASE, start taking focusing and composition a little more seriously.

This could have looked so much better if they just took a second to level the shot and center the subjects. It's not hard at all and it makes it look way better. This here just looks hastily thrown together:

bJErKxg.png

A little bit of adjustment to make it more like this would go a long way:

OO17Rtw.png

Don't get me wrong; I LOVE the show, and I love EZA in general. I just wish they put a little more care into the production side.

Thank you for writing this, the crooked camera shots in Frame Trap have basically caused me to listen to it as an audio podcast.

Dmax3901

Being irked by crooked camera angles is fair I'll grant you, but to the point where it makes you stop watching it? It's not like the camera moves around lol.

Budi

Like for example with Huber, despite his hype, I totally trust with RE7 review because I've seen enough times that when it comes to reviewing he can tone it down. In Damiani's reviews, his persona shines through.

Not to dismiss Huber's (their biggest Remedy fan) review, but you don't think his Quantum Break review was out of line with general consensus? 4.5 to a game with 66/77 meta depending on platform. But yeah I'm fine with them reviewing games on how they personally felt about them, rathen than by what others thought about them.

Where's this idea that Damiani being a total Nintendo fanboy coming from? He constantly complains about them whenever they fuck something up.

Mista Koo

The concert thingy will be recorded, so whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If this is about them missing that week's stream then may I suggest doppelgangers? Just have a random group of six to nine people stream on EZA Twitch using their names. If you can have one wear a hoodie, one wear a baseball cap, one wear a plaid shirt over a t-shirt, one wear a leather jacket, and one be a girl. Done, no one can tell the difference!

I was actually wrong. They corrected me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom