• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tales of Graces f English Screenshots

Palom

Wait, the back of the box indicates 1 player only. Did you mean ToD 2?

Tales of Destiny has items that you acquire throughout the game that you can equip on secondary characters (called Channeling) to allow them to be player-controlled. It's not necessarily an inherent feature. The first one is available fairly early in the game.

Labadal

any gaf members have any recommendations on where to preorder this?

i want to to have it imported to the uk, i wouldnt mind if it didnt have the preorder bonus as i guess gamestop wont send it to the uk?

also how long would it take? 1 week?

thanks in advance!

I pre-ordered from planetaxel. Never used them before, but only heard good things.

Datschge

Wait, the back of the box indicates 1 player only. Did you mean ToD 2?
In ToD PS1 one needs to equip an accessory called "Channeling" to a character that then can be controlled with the second controller. You can find it as early as in the
Snow Temple
. It's also available in the
Terrazi Harbor

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Order it from Amazon if you want release date shipping for like a dollar. However, if not pre-order from Gamestop and get the costumes. I will most likely get it at GS and share the costumes with people.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Tales of Destiny has items that you acquire throughout the game that you can equip on secondary characters (called Channeling) to allow them to be player-controlled. It's not necessarily an inherent feature. The first one is available fairly early in the game.

Colored me surprised! It actually give me a good reason to replay the game again with friend who haven't experience the game yet.

CrazyDude

Order it from Amazon if you want release date shipping for like a dollar. However, if not pre-order from Gamestop and get the costumes. I will most likely get it at GS and share the costumes with people.

Just note that Amazon will probably not put up the release day shipping until at least a weak before it comes out. That is what happened with abyss.

wrowa

Starting with ToD PS1 all console Tales games except Legendia have co-op battles (though ToS GC and Xillia are pretty broken).
In what way are Xillia's co-op battles broken? Is it similarly unplayable as ToS GC's co-op or is it just poorly balanced?

Usually I play through Tales games together with my girlfriend and a cousin of mine and I think playing that way is just incredibly more fun even though the games tend to become very easy that way (one thing I learned: even a bad human player is leagues better than the AI). It would be a pretty big bummer if Xillia's co-op would be fundamentally broken similar to ToS' (where players 2 to 4 simply couldn't see shit on the screen). :(

Aeana

In what way are Xillia's co-op battles broken? Is it similarly unplayable as ToS GC's co-op or is it just poorly balanced?

Usually I play through Tales games together with my girlfriend and a cousin of mine and I think playing that way is just incredibly more fun even though the games tend to become very easy that way (one thing I learned: even a bad human player is leagues better than the AI). It would be a pretty big bummer if Xillia's co-op would be fundamentally broken similar to ToS' (where players 2 to 4 simply couldn't see shit on the screen). :(

You can't use link attacks with another person in co-op - they only work with CPU controlled characters. It's a pretty big misstep, since link attacks are the core of the combat system.

Ties

Banned
You can't use link attacks with another person in co-op - they only work with CPU controlled characters. It's a pretty big misstep, since link attacks are the core of the combat system.
That sounds terrible, wow.

Where do you place Xillia in terms of 3D combat in the series, Aeana?

Datschge

It's not at all broken in a way ToS GC is, but a way worse design mistake. Xillia's core battle mechanic for higher artes essentially involves two characters at the same time. As both characters are basically controlled by the player who started said Link Arte the developer opted to switch the second involved character to auto even when it was manually controlled before! Two player multiplayer should be somewhat manageable when organizing well, three or four players can be quickly infuriating to most involved players with said battle mechanic. Simply not using Link Artes is not really an option either as it locks out from most more powerful artes and combos. (Beaten. Again. Must. Become. Less. Wordy.)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Rofl, if I remember, she doesn't like it.
Heh, I like separating the TS and TD games, but the TD games generally stand out more with regards to the combat specifics than the TS games.

...I think in some ways Xillia's combat is better than Vesperia's. The linking system, and thus higher comboing efficiency, is essential on Unknown difficulty.

It's not at all broken in a way ToS GC is, but a way worse design mistake. Xillia's core battle mechanic for higher artes essentially involves two characters at the same time. As both characters are basically controlled by the player who started said Link Arte the developer opted to switch the second involved character to auto even when it was manually controlled before! Two player multiplayer should be somewhat manageable when organizing well, three or four players can be quickly infuriating to most involved players with said battle mechanic. Simply not using Link Artes is not really an option either as it locks out from most more powerful artes and combos. (Beaten. Again. Must. Become. Less. Wordy.)
Pretty much. Xillia's co-op is so disappointing in comparison to the other games. :/

kayos90

It's not at all broken in a way ToS GC is, but a way worse design mistake. Xillia's core battle mechanic for higher artes essentially involves two characters at the same time. As both characters are basically controlled by the player who started said Link Arte the developer opted to switch the second involved character to auto even when it was manually controlled before! Two player multiplayer should be somewhat manageable when organizing well, three or four players can be quickly infuriating to most involved players with said battle mechanic. Simply not using Link Artes is not really an option either as it locks out from most more powerful artes and combos.

The problem then becomes that the two players have to stay linked with the remaining 2 characters. If the 2 characters that the players are controlling cannot be linked due to this, then it becomes a problem. It's bad design regardless.

Aeana

That sounds terrible, wow.

Where do you place Xillia in terms of 3D combat in the series, Aeana?

When compared to Team Symphonia's games, it's on the higher end. I think Vesperia is the only one to offer anything that I prefer to what's in Xillia's combat - namely, fatal strikes. As much as I rage about how much of a disappointment Xillia is, the combat is one area where I wasn't super disappointed. I like the link combo stuff, even if it gets repetitive after a while. It still has plenty of issues - like being based on TP - but it works better than a lot of what came before it. Non-TP-based systems are, of course, far superior in general. Particularly Graces, Rebirth and ToDr, but Graces is the only 3D one out of those.

Datschge

It's bad design regardless.
Right, just like for ToS GC multiplayer was likely only a feature check box to tick without any thought put into making design and programming fit with it. But the real craziness is that it at the same time makes soloing near impossible, an approach to playing Tales games that was already specifically fostered in "Team Destiny" games before by allowing optional one character "team" and the Narikiri dolls. So it's not only the already neglected multiplayer feature (which is getting removed in all the portable ports so far) that suffered on this.

kayos90

The Tales games are all single player with an added "bonus" of multiplayer. I mean sure it's there but the game hardly caters to it at all. Who wants to just sit there while P1 explores a dungeon and runs into enemies. That's not fun. The game's focus isn't multiplayer which is why it does that. Honestly, I feel like if they want to do something worthwhile, they should. Not just slap it on there like some useless piece of crap.

Datschge

So you don't mind to take a laissez faire approach to game design just like those people behind the "Team Symphonia" games and Xillia do. I personally can't stand that, either do it right or not at all, everything else unnecessarily cheapens the end result. And we are talking about pretty basic stuff.

kayos90

So you don't mind to take a laissez faire approach to game design just like those people behind the "Team Symphonia" games and Xillia do. I personally can't stand that, either do it right or not at all, everything else unnecessarily cheapens the end result. And we are talking about pretty basic stuff.

Uh... I think you misunderstood me. As a player I personally don't care if it's in or not but as a reviewer I agree that it's sort of odd that they leave a broken/underdeveloped/weird mechanic in. While I don't agree to your extreme that it should be done right or not at all, I think they should do something about it.

FSLink

Banned
They should really add an arena vs component with multiplayer...I would love a Radiant Mythology style game on console (or maybe part of an arena to one of the main games but I have a feeling they'd never do that) where I can customize a character or use a Tales character to fight against a friend. However they don't seem to want to do more with multiplayer than the co-op in battles that they quickly throw in (and even then sometimes they get that wrong: See Symphonia GC and Xillia)

kayos90

Honestly multiplayer is a bit hard sometimes because of the camera angles... Whatever. Gotta do more work, post, and work on OT

Gonna blasphemy a moment...

While i agree that CC battle system are deeper and fun i still enjoy TP battle systems ..

i mean i'm allowed to , right guys ?

Just felt like pointing that out since everyone seems to express disapoitment toward TP systems when they are more than enjoyable and still allow combos ( even if the temptation of smashing is greater ) ..

I LOVE CC battle systems Too !!

Gonna blasphemy a moment...

While i agree that CC battle system are deeper and fun i still enjoy TP battle systems ..

i mean i'm allowed to , right guys ?

Just felt like pointing that out since everyone seems to express disapoitment toward TP systems when they are more than enjoyable and still allow combos ( even if the temptation of smashing is greater ) ..

I LOVE CC battle systems Too !!

I feel there is nothing blasphemous about that, in some ways I enjoy the more "traditional" style that TP brings when compared to CC.

Shouta

There's nothing really wrong with TP-based systems as you get later on into the game. I mean, a CC-based system removes the need to use items to refill the bar but I only have that issue early on in the game or on the higher setting/tougher battles. Honestly, TP is about the last thing I'd complain about in games with it myself.

Datschge

Uh... I think you misunderstood me. As a player I personally don't care if it's in or not but as a reviewer I agree that it's sort of odd that they leave a broken/underdeveloped/weird mechanic in. While I don't agree to your extreme that it should be done right or not at all, I think they should do something about it.

And that's exactly the difference between the teams. "Team Destiny" games don't have broken stuff akin to putting 2D battles in 3D but allow enemies to run around unbound to lines (Symphonia), then allow the player to run around unbound to lines himself (breaking the base of the battle system) and stand on underused environmental gimmicks (FoFs in Abyss) only to remove the latter and pack an additional layer of complexity on the otherwise unchanged battle system (Vesperia), exaggerate that ad absurdum and give an option to liberate from the restrictive combo system on the top of it (8 overlimit levels and artes ball in Vesperia PS3). Xillia is perfectly in line with these approaches.

Maybe I'm more sensitive of such game design "details" than usual players (I'm not a reviewer) but I'm not feeling that I'm exaggerating with any of this. The result is fun to play, but just doesn't come close to any better designed games.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The only reason why I disliked TP in Xillia is because there were times when I ran out of it when it came to Link Mode. Oooooh, Link Mode and I can chain Link Artes! No TP. :(

I think CC's just more flexible, but TP isn't game-breaking. It at least functions well, especially later on in the game, but when you're early on using a higher difficulty setting, you do need to use Artes and combo more, so your TP depletes faster...

Nothing wrong with liking TP at all, though.

Datschge said:
then allow the player to run around unbound to lines himself (breaking the base of the battle system)
Part of the reason why I don't like Free Run much. It's not so much a Linear Motion battle system when the player can choose to Free Run out of the way of attacks or fluidly run around the enemy off of a line to smack it from behind, is it?

wrowa

The Tales games are all single player with an added "bonus" of multiplayer. I mean sure it's there but the game hardly caters to it at all. Who wants to just sit there while P1 explores a dungeon and runs into enemies. That's not fun. The game's focus isn't multiplayer which is why it does that. Honestly, I feel like if they want to do something worthwhile, they should. Not just slap it on there like some useless piece of crap.

Have you ever seriously tried to play it with a second (or maybe even third) player?

It's really lot of fun, especially because the games actually become more engaging to me when played in a group. I normally don't really care all that much about the stories or the gameplay outside of the battles the Tales games offer, but when you aren't playing alone everything becomes suddenly much more interesting. :p

Apart of that, I don't think it's all that unusual to play an RPG "together" with the girl-/boyfriend or another good friend. Normally it ends up that one person is playing, and the other is watching while both are talking about the game; and in Tales game both can actually be part of the game, which is pretty neat.

Actually, the lack of direct co-op gameplay during the non-battle scenes is pretty neglible, imo. When in dungeons or cities the games are mostly about two things: figuring out where to go / what to do and following the story. It doesn't really matter for both thing whether or not you are actually controlling the character on screen directly or if you are thinking together with the first player what you have to do next.

FSLink

Banned
Heh, that sounds bad.

Graces F still has good co-op, right?

Yes, and you can still quick switch with the D-Pad to another party member. So a friend can swap back and forth between a healer or fighting with you on the front lines if they feel like it.

TP in Xillia was kinda dumb because once you got some higher TP regen rates for normal attacks, it's pretty easy to not run out of TP and then you're only limited by AC. Makes TP feel pointless to have in the game outside of tradition.

kayos90

Have you ever seriously tried to play it with a second (or maybe even third) player?

It's really lot of fun, especially because the games actually become more engaging to me when played in a group. I normally don't really care all that much about the stories or the gameplay outside of the battles the Tales games offer, but when you aren't playing alone everything becomes suddenly much more interesting. :p

Apart of that, I don't think it's all that unusual to play an RPG "together" with the girl-/boyfriend or another good friend. Normally it ends up that one person is playing, and the other is watching while both are talking about the game; and in Tales game both can actually be part of the game, which is pretty neat.

Actually, the lack of direct co-op gameplay during the non-battle scenes is pretty neglible, imo. When in dungeons or cities the games are mostly about two things: figuring out where to go / what to do and following the story. It doesn't really matter for both thing whether or not you are actually controlling the character on screen directly or if you are thinking together with the first player what you have to do next.

I have played multiplayer Graces, not Xillia though. The camera still allows for the control to be pretty awkward. Like I said before, the experience itself is very awkward when you're not doing coliseum-esque stuff. Multiplayer isn't integral to the experience and it's pretty clear when you're controls feel odd and the style doesn't fit it specifically for multiplayer. Sure, it exists, but that's not the main point of it. However, I feel like if there is a mechanic/system in the game, it should matter. The fact that the gameplay doesn't really make it feel like it matters is discouraging.

Yes, and you can still quick switch with the D-Pad to another party member. So a friend can swap back and forth between a healer or fighting with you on the front lines if they feel like it.

TP in Xillia was kinda dumb because once you got some higher TP regen rates for normal attacks, it's pretty easy to not run out of TP and then you're only limited by AC. Makes TP feel pointless to have in the game outside of tradition.

Rofl, Jude doesn't care about TP. Just three normal attacks and he gets back like 50 TP. So crazy. I never understood TP/AC combined. It just... I don't get it...

Me and my brother did this back when I lived at home, even on completely SP games. Heh, sometimes it turned into MST3K for games during some cutscenes, other times helping each other in solving puzzles. Tales was not one of these, sadly.

Synless

When compared to Team Symphonia's games, it's on the higher end. I think Vesperia is the only one to offer anything that I prefer to what's in Xillia's combat - namely, fatal strikes. As much as I rage about how much of a disappointment Xillia is, the combat is one area where I wasn't super disappointed. I like the link combo stuff, even if it gets repetitive after a while. It still has plenty of issues - like being based on TP - but it works better than a lot of what came before it. Non-TP-based systems are, of course, far superior in general. Particularly Graces, Rebirth and ToDr, but Graces is the only 3D one out of those.

What exactly where you disappointed with in Xillia?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Can't wait for this to come out, still wish they would make a 2D tales again though...
They released Narikiri Dungeon X in 2010. :D (I know it's a remake, but I liked it a lot.)

qAwlz.jpg

salromano

I'm just sad this game is getting 0 advertising. I haven't seen an ad for it, or any website previews.

Actually, there have been several GameStop posters spotted around:

AZ6mW.jpg

There's one at my local store, and plenty of others have seen them at their GameStops (just check the Tales Facebook page - lots of people have posted pictures).

Aside from that, though, I haven't seen anything along the lines of website or TV advertising. A TV spot would be nice.

RPGCrazied

Actually, there have been several GameStop posters spotted around:

AZ6mW.jpg

There's one at my local store, and plenty of others have seen them at their GameStops (just check the Tales Facebook page - lots of people have posted pictures).

Aside from that, though, I haven't seen anything along the lines of website or TV advertising. A TV spot would be nice.

Ahhh. I live in the sticks. That might be why. My Gamestop didn't have that. Though when I preordered the game today, the sales person tried to sell me a Vita.

Man... if only namco bothered to put together a combat tutorial video or something similar to how capcom does it for their fighting games.

Might sell a few copies...

I'm so glad one of these is finally getting released in NA. Having missed out on Symphonia, I had to watch the masterpiece of a story on youtube. I can't wait to see what tale Namco will give us this time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
NO! Cancelled pre-order! Rofl. Doesn't matter, I have my KR copy anyway.
Yup. And judging by other threads on the subject, it looks like almost everyone with an import/JP copy of the game uses the alternate boxart because it's just better.

The proportions, posing, and general art on the default boxart bug me a little. The other boxart does everything better, including putting more emphasis on the more important characters.

salromano

I'm so glad one of these is finally getting released in NA. Having missed out on Symphonia, I had to watch the masterpiece of a story on youtube. I can't wait to see what tale Namco will give us this time.

You should totally go buy Symphonia. You could find it used for like $30 on eBay, which ain't too bad a price.

Top Bottom