• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney: MS plans to make Steam 'progressively worse' & buggy via Win10 updates

saunderez

Gemüsepizza;211411326 said:
What's painfully obvious is that you guys have zero evidence for what you are suggesting.
Zero evidence. How about Windows stealing file associations and conveniently giving them back to Microsoft apps which allow them to pedal you other products? What about making I'm near impossible to uninstall applications like One Drive and Windows Defender? What about helpfully suggesting you should use THEIR web browser. Its EXACLTY the same shit they pulled in the past

Sweeney might seem crazy, but that's exactly what Ms did in the past with its embrace extend extinguish practices.

Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they don't. But there's a proven track record.

I won't say it's a nice thing but business wise it's sort of logical when we look at what companies are doing one to another.

Apple, MS, Google... I don't see why it seems ok in some case and not here. Some of you being surprised is what surprises me ! Companies have no soul and no heart, never forget this. Some people working for them do but at the end in a capitalistic world and for publicly traded companies there is no way to escape profits logic (at the expense of jobs, quality, health...).

MS want to have a bigger market share in games distribution. They are trying to merge Xbox with their Win 10 games marketplace so next step is to push their service at the expense of others.

I've never witnessed decisions taken that could hurt people but big strategical decisions that would lead to firing lots of people or lying to consumers to make more money are like every day things :/

Edit: I wouldn't say MS will go that far but they won't make effort for the platform for sure. And inevitably some things will work less good on Steam vs. MS platform. Just only by the fact that they could use the most recent HW or SW features in their platform first.

Durante

Gemüsepizza;211410639 said:
It's also very interesting that the only arguments from the "Microsoft is evil" crowd are "look what Microsoft has done decades ago"
Gemüsepizza;211411185 said:
Interesting logic. Let's convict Microsoft for something completely made-up, because of what they did in the past, while being led by completely different executives.

2016:
This is literally happening on my PC right now.

Had all my video/audio associations set to Media Player Classic, but then all of a sudden everything got switched to MS's Groove player.

MPC wouldn't even show up when setting default apps; I had to completely uninstall and reinstall the software.

MS is shady as fuck.

2016:
I don't if they'd do it this way, but they have form for this kind of thing. Going back a long way (DOS ain't done 'til Lotus won't run) or the new Windows 10 warning that pops up if you're using Chrome or Firefox to say they're power inefficient and you should use Edge:
chrome_battery_windows_10_tip.jpg

Microsoft was also convicted of forcing an unwanted upgrade to Windows 10 in 2016.

Decades ago.

Does anyone on here truly believe that given the opportunity, Microsoft (or indeed any company) with the know how to almost guarantee that your product gains prominence wouldn't use underhand tactics to do so?
I agree with Tim on this, and posting tinfoil hat gifs and calling Tim crazy is simply putting your head in the sand.

I don't believe this would happen,well I don't want to believe.I know Microsoft can be a bit dodgy at times but even this is pushing it a bit

Have you changed your browser to Edge yet? You know Chrome is 32% less energy efficient right?

Are you for real? Ever used Google services with a different browser than Chrome? Google is doing the exact same shit. And this is your "proof" that Microsoft is evil?

Have you ever had spontaneous system tray popups telling you your file type associations are wrong (I believe the exact word it used was, were incorrectly setup) and reverted back to Microsoft's media Player?

Nope, never. This is actually the first time I hear about this. Which is funny, because my field of work is system administration in a Windows environment.

Have you ever woken up to find a system update that completely fucked your system over?

No. Are you sure that the problem here is Windows? Do you know how much Microsoft tests updates which need to be deployed to several 100 million PCs?

Has your PC upgraded your OS without your permission, even after repeatedly disabling every annoying banner, popup, icon, software and downloader it installed without permission?

No, because I don't use software which is 7 years old and obsolete on my own PC, and because I am able to prevent stuff like this if I have to.

See above. Is this supposed to be a joke? How is this proof that Microsoft wants to "destroy their competition"?

2016: Microsoft was also convicted of forcing an unwanted upgrade to Windows 10 in 2016.

Decades ago.

Right. And because this case was so substantial, it paved the way for millions of lawsuits which ruined Microsoft. Oh wait, that didn't happen. Maybe because this case had very specific, special circumstances?

I really hope they try and we can all move to Linux.
Yeah you think big publishers will start releasing their games for Linux?

What about indies? Ms can offer "help" and you get no Linux at all.

Given windows' prominence in the market, it's absurd thinking users and publishers alike will just switch.

martino

Tim comes across as really salty against Microsoft recently. People believed what he was saying initially but now he just comes across as an idiot with an agenda.

strangely position changed on his side more or less with the change of his company business model
but nobody seems to look on this side since Microsoft is in the equation.
don't forget there are bias and interests...everywhere....

I guess people do forget what happened historically. Yikes people. Read a wiki page when you get the chance to understand how similar situations indeed have already happened with the same party.

Given windows' prominence in the market, it's absurd thinking users and publishers alike will just switch.

If MS would smash Win32 though, there would be switching nonetheless.

Microsoft are dicks, especially over the whole W10 platform. But even if that were the case, why wouldn't anyone just use GOG Galaxy, uPlay or Origin? All are, despite what pessimistic Valve fanboys say, are competent solutions.

Every company will gladly do this shit if it means little backlash and a lot of money , Apple and Google are probably the biggest offenders .

But unless Tim can provide proof then this is all just tinfoil hat conspiracies . Rather then sabotaging steam Microsoft would get a lot less backlash by making there own store more competitive and just a better product overall .

Tim is no doubt a smart guy but you can't actively accuse ms of this unless you have proof .

99 percent of the people bitching on here are no doubt using Microsoft products every day , including tim and his unreal empire .

If he's not happy with the direction Windows is going make a better product , pretty sure valve is pursuing this with the steamos / box idea . Users will go where they see the best value .

This wasnt worth reading. Even if Microsoft did that would Valve just go "well this blows!"? No, they would update Steam accordingly.

Irminsul

Embrace, Extend and Extinguish w.r.t. game stores would be offering a better deal than Steam to publishers and even more so if they stay exclusive to the Windows store.

"Steam will run progressively worse but never so that you can actually pinpoint a targeted attack by the OS" (while always being able to just run it on an old Win 7 machine, mind) checks all the marks of a conspiracy theory in that it is essentially unprovable.

Gemüsepizza;211411848 said:
Are you for real? Ever used Google services with a different browser than Chrome? Google is doing the exact same shit. And this is your "proof" that Microsoft is evil?

Nope, never. This is actually the first time I hear about this. Which is funny, because my field of work is system administration in a Windows environment.

No. Are you sure that the problem here is Windows? Do you know how much Microsoft tests updates which need to be deployed to several 100 million PCs?

No, because I don't use software which is 7 years old and obsolete on my own PC, and because I am able to prevent stuff like this if I have to.

See above. Is this supposed to be a joke? How is this proof that Microsoft wants to "destroy their competition"?

Right. And because this case was so substantial, it paved the way for millions of lawsuits which ruined Microsoft. Oh wait, that didn't happen. Maybe because this case had very specific, special circumstances?

Ok so basically your retort is this:

If Google does it it's alright
If unwanted (and potentially unnecessary) updates install themselves on my computer without my permission and break something I have to deal with it because do I even have an idea how hard it is to test for 100m computers
You are a bad system administrator
You are also an elitist moron who self-righteously decrees people get what they deserve for using older OSs (which are still supported by their developer no less).

Welcome to my ignore list.

OBias

Knowing the history of Microsoft (especially the whole business with DR-DOS and later Netscape), I'm inclined to believe Tim. I'm not buying Phil's friendly façade.

Microsoft are dicks, especially over the whole W10 platform. But even if that were the case, why wouldn't anyone just use GOG Galaxy, uPlay or Origin? All are, despite what pessimistic Valve fanboys say, are competent solutions.

Because, naturally, MS would have to screw everything existing and not target Steam. Otherwise, cue Stiim.

Gemüsepizza;211411848 said:

Ad. 1. Someone moving the goalposts here. No one said here Google is all good, just look at Android. Neither no one said MS is "evil".

Ad. 2. Actually that perfectly explains it, this does not happen with advanced stuff, only with the things in "default app" category, so music, photos, Web browsers.

Ad. 4. Seven years and obsolete... Hahahaha... Hahahahahahahaha...

Knowing the history of Microsoft (especially the whole business with DR-DOS and later Netscape), I'm inclined to believe Tim. I'm not buying Phil's friendly facade.

Definitely be wary of Microsoft and its practises (indeed all the big players like apple and Google who will screw you at a moments notice given the chance), but unless there is proof then this is just another "theory" .

Steam has always been buggy , so does that mean ms have been targeting them for years or perhaps valve are just shitty with bug fixes ?

I don't believe this, but I will say this. Never before in windows history have Microsoft been in a better position to lock down the OS and push out competition.

Whether they do is another question entirely but the fact is both UEFI and mandatory updates are worrying concepts for people wanting control over their own OS. You are just taking in good faith that Microsoft will not at some point break the apps, features and controls you use and that if they do, they will fix it quickly.

Just because they haven't done so yet doesn't change the fact they now can.

I don't believe this, but I will say this. Never before in windows history have Microsoft been in a better position to lock down the OS and push out competition.

Whether they do is another question entirely but the fact is both UEFI and mandatory updates are worrying concepts for people wanting control over their own OS. You are just taking in good faith that Microsoft will not at some point break the apps, features and controls you use and that if they do, they will fix it quickly.

Just because they haven't done so yet doesn't change the fact they now can.

UEFI is not a worry to me, as long as you hve physical access to the hardware it will eventually be circumvented if shit hits the fan, I don't for a moment think it would stand, it immediately failed the test against piracy.

I don't see the necessity of defending poor old Microsoft, it's a corporation and they'll do whatever they feel best for themselves as they always did. They won't make steam stop working outright, but they sure won't make things any easier for third parties encroaching on their model.

So many people on the first page instantly thinking 'No they won't do this'. Based on what?

This is Microsoft we are talking here. The company that added an absolute shit load of spy software and data-mining 'perks' surreptitiously to W10.

Some guy even comically posted 'they would never do this as it would be blatantly obvious'. Yes, so like Sweeney said, MS will make sure their own store runs like butter on W10 and everything else slowly doesn't get the compatability it needs so no-one notices a great deal.

UEFI is not a worry to me, as long as you hve physical access to the hardware it will eventually be circumvented if shit hits the fan, I don't for a moment think it would stand, it immediately failed the test against piracy.

Yeah, but the point that it's an extra step for users. I would still refuse to buy a motherboard that didn't have legacy BIOS as a option personally.

Danneee

I'm more concerned with steam working properly than which OS my PC is running. Anything I use my PC for other than gaming pretty much any OS can deliver.

It's funny how we're having conversations about how Microsoft may supposedly make Steam worse through OS updates, but no one is mentioning how the Steam client is lacking in terms of supporting modern features that desktop OSes have had for years, like high dpi (Steam just renders at 1x scaling, then upscales the entire app window to 1.5x or 2x) or even the precision touchpad API which would make the client and its browser-based pages feel like a dream to navigate.

There's other stuff, too, but the overall user experience of the Steam client feels like it's ten years in the past, when compared with other desktop programs on MacOS and Windows.

If anyone's making the Steam client feel "progressively worse" it's Valve, not Microsoft. Even Sony's MediaGo client supports high dpi.

Valve already does a good enough job at this as it is tbh

Ding ding ding!

His intelligence when it comes to coding doesn't equate to intelligence of predicting Microsoft's large business moves. I know, and have met, a lot of damn smart coders and technical folk who are also massive idiots when it comes to wearing a tinfoil hat. Screwing over Steam simply doesn't make sense from a business perspective, and especially not in the position MS are in with gamers. You want people to buy your OS (and therefore potentially your other services) not piss them off. If anything they're far more likely to collaborate and integrate with Steam than try implement sneaky hooks which make a program buggier and more likely to break...

But we already know that's not coming to happen or at least that wasn't on the cards, hence Valve's Linux push when W8 came out.

Kayant

I don't if they'd do it this way, but they have form for this kind of thing. Going back a long way (DOS ain't done 'til Lotus won't run) or the new Windows 10 warning that pops up if you're using Chrome or Firefox to say they're power inefficient and you should use Edge:
And am not surprised with the BS they have been doing with upgrades I wonder what else they have around Win 10.
Ha just remember they also have "Recommend for Win 10" when selecting default apps.
And even if you set another application to be the default media player, you still have to go into video file (er, codecs?) types to make sure the MS player isn't the default choice for particular kinds of files.
Yep settings app is just a broken mess. On my system it's impossible for me to set the default browser, photo viewer from default apps menu I have to set default by app via control panel to set it.

Is actively sabotaging Win32 all that different from just abandoning it and pushing your app shit?

The result will be the same?

I don't quite believe in the slightly more active sabotage approach that is being suggested will happen.

I would expect that they'll do things that make sense for them(Microsoft), but if it inconveniences Steam consumers then they wont go out of their way to improve that situation.

I just found after installing it that the Steam overlay needs you to manually set permissions on OSX for accessibility to work, which is an inconvenience that just makes this that little bit less good.

ZanDatsu

It's saddens me that non-complacency seems to be the exception rather than the rule even on a forum like this. I dunno why, I just expected more.

Dazza

Wouldn't surprise me, not the first time MS has engaged in such anticompetitive practices, won't be the last

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Microsoft would never do that

Mithos

Windows 10 also likes to steal back file associations claiming "something went wrong". Bullshit something went wrong, and even if it did I don't ever want to associate Groove Music with ANY music file. I'm not using a "free" version of Windows 10, stop pushing your shit on me.

I hate this so damn much, its really annoying.

Business

Sure but I understood this thread is about if Microsoft decides to kill Win32 and make W10 a walled garden and what could happen, not about out of the blue changes that will happen if everything stays the same.

Irminsul

Windows 10 also likes to steal back file associations claiming "something went wrong". Bullshit something went wrong, and even if it did I don't ever want to associate Groove Music with ANY music file. I'm not using a "free" version of Windows 10, stop pushing your shit on me.

I really wonder what's up with that. That never happened to me on my laptop, but a bunch of times on my desktop machine. Really weird.

Top Bottom