• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

EO4 new game+ would be fun if it was balanced for the unlockable 3 classes. Instead your imperial is either useless or OP. Plus no branching story = no reason to destroy the game to get to a new path.

MrDoctor

thought i was finally done with these donkey kong bees in untold, but the boss starts off with two more! gonna try leg binds tomorrow and hope she goes down easy enough herself

Alraune is down, and I've reached level 63 on most of my party without touching 5th Stratum's boss. Something tells me I'm gonna curbstomp it by accident, especially since I'm on Standard (though I only use my retry on FOEs, not bosses). Still, I've wiped several times on this stratum and the previous one despite caution and ending up overleveled...Untold Classic's been a nice challenge all in all. I'll have to finish the main story as soon as I get back from work today.

The Stratum theme has really grown on me. It's surprisingly well-suited for the kinds of emotions this part of the game offers, helped by the humorous floor events which lighten the mood and make you really curious to explore this brave new world. A nostalgic and somewhat melancholy but mirthful waltz makes too much sense.

When does Atlus normally put EO games up for sale? I can wait until December, but that's quite a ways off. I'll have plenty of Falcom stuff to get through until then at least.

Zweizer

Banned
Congrats!

Everything about the first EO's 5th stratum is amazing. Getting there for the first time back then was an incredible experience and reveal. The Untold's rearrangement of the theme works great, though it feels a bit more 'majestic' than the original, especially the intro.

As for sales, it depends on the region I guess. They don't seem to happen too often in Europe, then again the games aren't published by Atlus here.

Zweizer

Banned
It's the main reason it's still my personal favourite game, despite being the most clunky and archaic. I don't think there'll be a way for them to top that in terms of reveal.

I think EO4's 6th labyrinth reveal is close to that. It doesn't elicit the same feelings as EO1's 5th stratum but was deeply unsettling to see for the first time and to explore.

Forward

I personally find there's not much point to the New Game+ in EO4. At least in 3, U1 and U2 there's different paths or modes to play around with.

There isn't any.

Which is a shame, and the only glaring flaw in what is the most well-balanced EO game, imo.

spiritfox

I think EO4's 6th labyrinth reveal is close to that. It doesn't elicit the same feelings as EO1's 5th stratum but was deeply unsettling to see for the first time and to explore.

I like EOIV's 6th labyrinth, but part of me is disappointed it's just a palette swap of the 4th. It does the unsettling creepiness and horror very well though. The event with the statues and then Petaloids, then realizing those statues are stoned adventurers is great.

PQ's 3rd labyrinth also does horror pretty well, though in a more jump scare sort of way.

Zweizer

Banned
foodwnsdj.jpg

MrDoctor

managed to get staggering word activated at the start of the queen bee fight, so i could bind the bees before worrying about gale. it was a simple battle of attrition after that; i almost felt overleveled.

Etreant is whupped and suddenly there's more new voiced lines in town, for one story beat (entering 6th Stratum), than since the start of the game. Kinda cool. I thought it was an easy "final boss", but still fun and with something of a second phase. Time to learn just how cruel and bizarre Claret Hollows will get. The music's great, it's a rather spooky place, and the bestiary's already more interesting to fight. I also have some easy quest EXP to look forward to.

Visil
had it coming. He may have had reasons to cling to the past and hide the truth at all costs, which I'm sure revolves around the Hollows,
full of the Ambrosia compound he developed to sprout Yggdrasil
. But trying to
genocide the Forest Folk simply to have less resistance on the way down to Shinjuku to stop your guild from discovering his secret
? My party would have carted him back to the Radha for trial if he wasn't
dependent on Yggdrasil's life for immortality
. Apparently the forest folk are handled differently in Story Mode as well? Regardless, learning how
Visil
is all too human made up for the dull tell-all reveal right before the fight started. I like how we've basically
stopped a global warming reversal tree
and no one in Etria seems to bat an eye.

All in all, it's a very good dungeon crawler and I'm excited to get into the rest of the series. In terms of puzzle designs and variety, I rank the 2nd and 4th Stratums on top before 1st, 5th, and 3rd (which is much better once you get past the first two floors which ground my playthrough to a halt for almost a year). Combat's definitely most fun for me in in the late 3rd, 5th, and hopefully 6th Stratums. Playtime, minus idling and some material grinding, is around 100 hours, definitely going to inflate the deeper I travel into the Hollows.

spiritfox

IIRC the story mode expanded on the Yggdrasil
project to say that the cores were going berserk and if you didn't stop them they'll destroy the world or something. I prefer the vagueness of the classic mode where you basically doomed the world to save yourself lol.

So far it seems like the world's gonna be just fine, even without
Etria's Yggdrasil still active and regenerating
. All the party knows is that, going by what
Visil
revealed, the process may or may not have completed. "Magic" in this world has its own kinds of problems, I presume, vs.
ye olde science which was abused enough to produce an ecological apocalypse which Yggdrasil couldn't reverse so much as rebuild atop

The Story Mode stuff looks interesting at a glance, but overblown for this kind of story. Classic's ending is too short for my liking, but I don't mind the ambiguity. Shame to hear I don't get a third guildkeeper (
Kupala
) outside Story, which is legit bullshit since I like talking to them and having more buff options.

Zweizer

Banned
In the original game
although the town and most of the world is fine after you kill Etreant (since it already healed the planet after all these millenia), if you complete the 6th Stratum and all the Item/Monster compendium, the new chieftain notes that you've now doomed the town to slowly die, as there'll be no more adventurers coming to fuel the economy, since there's nothing left to discover anymore. It gets taken out in the Untold remake obviously.

PK Gaming

In the original game
although the town and most of the world is fine after you kill Etreant (since it already healed the planet after all these millenia), if you complete the 6th Stratum and all the Item/Monster compendium, the new chieftain notes that you've now doomed the town to slowly die, as there'll be no more adventurers coming to fuel the economy, since there's nothing left to discover anymore. It gets taken out in the Untold remake obviously.

LOL

Might as well talk a bit more about my main team, all of whom retired at level 30:

• Jode (formerly Latok), a level 68 Landshark. I didn't learn until later that most experienced players shy away from this class in many EO games, but apparently it's good in Millennium Girl and definitely improved for EOIV. At first I spread skill points around a bit, then settled on the Axe tree and made certain I had a good Head Bash to complement my DH. Still, I got Double Strike and Chasers, which turned out well for me since I can fast-track autobattling now and he's got enough of an elemental attack option which I can abuse against large groups. As this first game's been a learning experience for me, I paid as much attention to potential outcomes for this fighter as I could just to be sure I didn't end up with a mediocre Land. Now that he's got beefy Triple Charge, increasingly better Chasers, and a Grimoire with Triple Hammer/Bloodlust/Silent Claw/Strike Up and Axe Mastery to stack, I think he's good for Standard's post-game.
  • Vyolam (formerly Raine), a level 68 Medic. Her offensive ailment uses aren't as good as they could be, but nice to have since I like reliable healing vs. a risky Hexer. Figuring out her equipment (without some of the best conditional-drop items available since I don't feel like grinding to nab those) has been a challenge, e.x. sticking with Mirage Rod for a while since it gave her useful agility for the 5th Stratum. I may have overdosed on Scavenge out of frustration with getting some drops, but that didn't stop me from getting points into Salve and Delayed Heal among others. Her Grimoire's mainly offensive, with level-5 Severing Slash, Rising Fang and Water Gun for Chasers, and Holy Gift + DEF Up to raise her session utility.
  • Iambron (formerly Zalaks), a level 68 post-retirement Protector. Lagging in elemental walls = trouble, which I can fix with a rest but I also want to keep EXP momentum and work around this (one reason to get Mists). Aside from not having level-5 element shielding yet, this guy's doing well: good Parry and a growing Bravery's Gift will help me out later, and his Grimoire's short but sweet with Battle Instinct, Attack Unit, and Bloodlust for passive resistance and a line buff option. Maybe I should get points in for Shield Rush eventually, though I'd love to have En Garde or Prayer for 6th Stratum since things will get dicey later on. P feels like one of the most diverse and fun classes to build in base EO altogether.
  • Garthe (formerly Rolf), a level 67 post-retirement Dark Hunter. Ecstasy's the star in 6th Stratum now; I couldn't care less for a Sword build at this point. Binds save my ass pretty much all the time, but I like at least some (if not potentially a lot of) DPS which the Hexer won't give me unless I play with Revenge Curse. He procs binds most times I need them and gets the job done, plus emergency item use thanks to agility. The Copper Grimoire I got in 4th Stratum with Gunner skills became nice fusing material which I've used to augment him (Double Strike, Penetrator, and Recharge make him more economic and suited for pierce damage).
  • Abora (formerly...I can't recall), a level 67 post-retirement Troubadour. Coming from classic Megaten games (iOS version of the original, Soul Hackers 3DS, and then Nocturne), I knew I wanted to run a buff/debuff party from the start, and registering a Troub made too much sense. But Holy Gift, Peace Ballad (at least until this Stratum since blindsiding can screw me harder than losing my TP), and Frightful Yawn make her even more essential. She's particularly useful for my alt party which normally can't take on harder foes without the buffs. Her Grimoire's not as high-leveled as the others, but still has Firestorm (more Chaser action), Seal Head, Front Guard in case I want the P to ward elements or Rear Shield that turn, and Tail Whip to lower FOE/boss threat levels.

This seems like a good party, but not a great one which could Expert on a non-NG+ run. I'd like to hear some criticism and things to watch out for in later games or an Expert playthrough. In general I don't like relying on guides or abusing them to optimize, but maybe that's the kind of series I'm getting into whether I like it or not. So far Claret Hollows is getting painful, just on B26F, and I wonder if I can take on the Core with just early-retirement characters or if I should retire them again at 70.

Zweizer

Banned
It's a fine party. You shouldn't be too restricted in Standard, so it's just a matter of being efficiently prepared in the 6th stratum.

Also, if you want to retire them again, do so at lvl 99.

This is what hell looks like. EO2U stratum 3 boss. I'm 70% salt now.
WVW69klj5jodFNKIQq

Edit: Now I'm prepared for the evilness. Hopefully this won't go so bad.

B27F mostly completed. Songbirds can really suck because of the Leukocytes they summon, which is why I'm starting to love AOE Chaser tech. Please tell me I can get equipment specifically for warding petrify soon or via an earlier drop I missed (and the ailment gage isn't good enough for this if you ask me).

Depth Dancers are MFing scary, holy shit. I finally fell victim to not having Ariadne Threads but wanting to keep an experience buff I got from Rosa...shit sucks, but this Stratum kills me too quick if I fuck up and hit B28F.

Also, if you want to retire them again, do so at lvl 99.
This seems more viable in a short amount of time if I dupe tons of Divine Gifts and then run through the Stratum/optional bosses and get back to Claret later. Now I have a reason to use an Axcela or two soon, lol.

Being able to see the traps makes more sense here than in Dark Zone from the original Brandish, since that game at least gave you steel balls to test for pits on both floors. I'm not surprised they fixed this for Untold since the original must have had you buying futures in Etria's thread market.

Zweizer

Banned
Equipped sleep rings and had bind food.

But that doesn't shaved ice wrecking my beast and then I get stuck in a tight spot.

Ice Shave is Ice element, right? Don't you have some elemental Wall grimoires on your Beast? It would also allow it to equip shields.

Depth Dancers are MFing scary, holy shit. I finally fell victim to not having Ariadne Threads but wanting to keep an experience buff I got from Rosa...shit sucks, but this Stratum kills me too quick if I fuck up and hit B28F.

Try shiny Depth Dancers on Expert, lol.
If you want to level up quickly the simplest way would be to set the game difficulty to Picnic.

Picnic's creeping into my post-game routine more and more, and I'm about to hit the 80 mark. Figuring out the teleport maze in B29F is just cruel, especially after an actually great floor with darkness, pits, and FOEs which won't hunt you down if you're careful. Combat is pretty nuts too, but I've gotten more used to this, anticipating line ailments and OHKOs. 6th Stratum has its ups and downs, so it's nice that I'm still getting a lot out of this.

asagami_

Banned
EO is basic but very fun. My MVP so far is my Troubadour, and the worse is my Dark Hunter, she dies a lot xD

By the way, Atlus USA still haven't announced a demo for EOV, right? Just two months for the release aaah.

tuffy

They haven't announced a demo yet, but I expect it'll be out a couple weeks before launch - once Atlus is finished with all their EO V class introductory videos.

So, kind of an odd question, but does anyone know if there's a collection anywhere of screenshots of the splash screens from when you zone in to a stratum floor? (example: the first floor of the first Etrian game says B1 The First Hope Filled Step)

I was kinda curious to look back on all of them and I dont even know where to begin googling for something like that rofl.

Zweizer

Banned
did they make the golem stronger in untold? or am i remembering that fight being much easier than it really is?

The Golem has no weaknesses and is guaranteed a revive in Untold, as opposed to having elemental weaknesses and only reviving if Regen was in effect back in the original, so it's probably due to that.

So, kind of an odd question, but does anyone know if there's a collection anywhere of screenshots of the splash screens from when you zone in to a stratum floor? (example: the first floor of the first Etrian game says B1 The First Hope Filled Step)

I was kinda curious to look back on all of them and I dont even know where to begin googling for something like that rofl.

Uh, I don't think so. That's a pretty specific request, lol. You'll probably have to scour out let's plays or do it yourself for that.

Uh, I don't think so. That's a pretty specific request, lol. You'll probably have to scour out let's plays or do it yourself for that.

Yeah I know its specific, I figured it was JUST interesting enough that there would be a small chance some other person may have compiled it and stuck an imgur link or wikia article somewhere. I have completed copies of every Etrian game, but I don't know how I'd go about getting screenshots from a DS game.

Zweizer

Banned
Yeah I know its specific, I figured it was JUST interesting enough that there would be a small chance some other person may have compiled it and stuck an imgur link or wikia article somewhere. I have completed copies of every Etrian game, but I don't know how I'd go about getting screenshots from a DS game.

For the 3DS games you can take a screenshot through Miiverse. No idea for the DS ones. I'd suggest an emulator, but then you'd need to replay them. Picking let's plays would still be the easiest I think.

MegaMelon

Sup. So who's doing the OT for Etrian Odyssey V? Guess it doesn't matter as long as we can somehow throw Fight and Heal into the title seeing as it's such an age old gag at this point.

Top Bottom