• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF:The Evil Within 2 PS4/PS4 Pro Analysis

whome0

kc44135

Community Manager posted a comment saying We're working on an update for PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. When we have more information, we'll happily update you. Thanks!
https://bethesda.net/community/topic/110378/no-ps4-pro-support-no-buy/5

Maybe they did not want to delay a release or just want to synchronize PS4Pro update along withe XboxOneX release. Details about the patch is unknown.

Great news! Really bullshit if they deliberately delayed the PRO patch for the sake of X1X's release, tho.

EmiPrime

Community Manager posted a comment saying We're working on an update for PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. When we have more information, we'll happily update you. Thanks!

Maybe they did not want to delay a release or just want to synchronize PS4Pro update along withe XboxOneX release. Details about the patch is unknown.

Okay Bethesda, I'll wait for you to finish the game and I get to pay half price or less for it, like when I got Prey for £13 after you finally fixed PS4 Pro support. Seems fair.

LCKellow1994

Neo Member
Yes I am, go to union and rotate the camera in a complete circle and watch it jitter in majority of the areas. And when you're near a side mission with more than 2 or 3 enemies it lags up

Having the exact same issues myself. I'm also on Pro with boost mode enabled. If I run and suddenly aim my weapon, that also drops the FPS by a noticeable amount.

Jacob4815

Plasma

Banned
Sony should be mandating pro support for every game that comes out after the pro launched, it's really frustrating to still see games launch without it.

EmiPrime

No, they shouldn't do that. Instead, they should have a team that helps studios to implement it.

Some of the best PS4 Pro patches have been done by one person. Quantum Break's XB1X patch is being done by one person working in their spare time, going from 720p to 1440p.

There's no need for a team to assist on this stuff.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Wow. Well I guess all the posters speculating the Pro patch will release along with the Xbox X one were right on the money.

I'm sorry Bethesda but behavior like this won't get you business from me. I'll probably wait for black friday and get a used copy off of gamestop for a third of the price.

Curufinwe

Sony should be mandating pro support for every game that comes out after the pro launched, it's really frustrating to still see games launch without it.

Sony and Microsoft aren't going to force publishers to miss their release dates due to lack of enhancements for the Pro/XOX.

Great news! Really bullshit if they deliberately delayed the PRO patch for the sake of X1X's release, tho.

It's more likely that they just ran out of time to have it ready for the Friday the 13th launch.

vkbest

Sony and Microsoft aren't going to force publishers to miss their release dates due to lack of enhancements for the Pro/XOX.

It's more likely that they just ran out of time to have it ready for the Friday the 13th launch.

Sony should force PS4 Pro mode even the game is not enhaced. Boost mode desactive the half of CU from GPU. The best example is Project Cars 2, boost mode had horrible drops on framerate on PC1, when PC2 is pretty stable despite to run near of double of pixels. PC2 is running similar to PC1 on PS4 base

No Pro Support is bullshit. I'll grab this down the line once it's actually feature complete or just get it cheap on PC a few months from now. Sony is so damn lazy this gen...hopefully X gives them a much needed kick up the ass to wake them up.

Wow, I didn't get the game,although I need to strongly support this game (especially after resident evil 7 disappointment ) but this unacceptable.

Sony and tango studios, get it together.

Game was rushed than?

I hate that it had to be this game, I really do.

Mikami is one of my favorite developers.
But, yeah no one gets a free pass on this, I'm glad lot's of us are doing are part.

Now, 4k checkerboard, stable 30 FPS is now more than ever desired in order for me to buy this game.

Some of the best PS4 Pro patches have been done by one person. Quantum Break's XB1X patch is being done by one person working in their spare time, going from 720p to 1440p.

There's no need for a team to assist on this stuff.

Please be lying.

Valdega

Looks like PC version is abit wonky. May consider PS4 if they got a Pro stable fps patch.

I really don't understand this logic. Yes, the PC version struggles to maintain a constant 60 FPS but it has no problems whatsoever with 30 FPS. On average, I get 50-60 FPS on my 970. If you absolutely cannot stand any sort of variable framerate, you can just cap the PC version at 30 FPS and still get more consistent performance and better image quality than the PS4 version.

Even a poorly optimized PC port looks and runs better than its console equivalent. This was true of Dark Souls, Mafia 3, Dishonored 2, Evil Within, Evil Within 2, Arkham Knight, etc. Unless you have a crappy PC, the PC version will always be the best. Always.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wow, how do so many people still think this? There are no mandates of any kind for PRO, outside of 1080p as the minimum resolution for a game.

Yeah, I guess the only Pro support needed is to make sure the game runs at least as good as it does on an OG PS4 .. and with boost mode, any non Pro patched game will always run better.

Whelp, so far only their forum staff have confirmed a Pro patch is in the work. I hope there's some official word from Betheda or Tango on this too

holygeesus

Banned
Solid 30fps my ass.. I'm getting constant fps drops on pro when doing side missions

This.

I'm surprised it took 5 pages before this comment came up as it echos my own experience perfectly. I even double checked to ensure boost mode was enabled.

First time I can ever remember disagreeing with a DF video. Performance is not solid on the Pro at all and doesn't bode well for any potential Pro Patch IMO.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Solid 30fps my ass.. I'm getting constant fps drops on pro when doing side missions
Wait, what? Where?

I'm on chapter 12 right now with a ton of time on the clock and haven't hit a single hitch (aside from that one cutscene).

Tell me this - are you using an external drive?

If not, they I can't imagine what's going on as it's been 100% locked. I spent a LOT of time in Union trying to drop the frame-rate and I played through the normal story - not an issue to be found.

Do you have video handy? I can’t even imagine where you’d be running into issues.

holygeesus

Banned
Wait, what? Where?

I'm on chapter 12 right now with a ton of time on the clock and haven't hit a single hitch (aside from that one cutscene).

If not, they I can't imagine what's going on as it's been 100% locked. I spent a LOT of time in Union trying to drop the frame-rate and I played through the normal story - not an issue to be found.

Do you have video handy? I can’t even imagine where you’d be running into issues.

I know you didn't quote me, but I *am* using an external SSD to run the game. I'm only on chapter 3 and can only echo what the quoter was saying, in that I am noticing drops doing the side quests on said chapter. It is even happening on internal locations, with not a lot of activity or effects on screen.

I thought Pro support was mandatory for all new games. How is it not?

It is, and this game SUPPORTS the PS4 Pro, what it isn't though is ENHANCED. So many people keep banding around Pro Support, well all games support the Pro (ie they work!) There is no mandate that they have to be Pro Enhanced though.

BeeDog

I played through the game on Pro (boost mode) in its entirety (incl. all side-quests) and didn't experience any drops at all aside from a minor loading hitch when traversing to Sebastian's safe room. The game's more solid than many of the ones I've played lately, so surprised to hear people feel the game is bad on Pro...

dark10x

I know you didn't quote me, but I *am* using an external SSD to run the game. I'm only on chapter 3 and can only echo what the quoter was saying, in that I am noticing drops doing the side quests on said chapter. It is even happening on internal locations, with not a lot of activity or effects on screen.
Try internal and see. SSD or not, external drives cause tons of issues. Look at one of my Prey videos to see it on Xbox One.

It can be isolated to just one game too - it only happened in Prey on my Xbox using an external drive, for instance. No other games. Installing to internal solves it 100%.

psychotron

Wait, what? Where?

Idk about the drops they’re experiencing but I have noticed stutters in chapter 3. Funny thing is, If I get one, I can replicate it by walking back through where it happened, making me think it’s a streaming issue. Mostly though, aside from the previously mentioned stutter and one hard crash, performance has been great.

Im using a 7200rpm external drive.

dark10x

Idk about the drops they’re experiencing but I have noticed stutters in chapter 3. Funny thing is, If I get one, I can replicate it by walking back through where it happened, making me think it’s a streaming issue. Mostly though, aside from the previously mentioned stutter and one hard crash, performance has been great.
External drive as well? A loading stutter isn’t impossible as the game is super sensitive to this on PC. Any disk variation can exacerbate stutter. I could see this happening on internal and external alike, though, but actual significant dips should not be happening.

Keep in mind that I had to reformat my Pro just before playing this game since I corrupted the drive by bumping the cord during a system operation (thanks HDR video). So I played it on a freshly formatted, nearly empty internal drive.

Ok, for anyone experiencing issues, could you try the internal drive? I know it’s a pain but I’m slowly gathering data on this problem. Both Xbox and PS4 exhibit these types of issues in random games when using external while internal cleans it right up.

This isn’t something I can easily replicate in testing due to the way it manifests.

psychotron

External drive as well? A loading stutter isn’t impossible as the game is super sensitive to this on PC. Any disk variation can exacerbate stutter. I could see this happening on internal and external alike, though, but actual significant dips should not be happening.

Keep in mind that I had to reformat my Pro just before playing this game since I corrupted the drive by bumping the cord during a system operation (thanks HDR video). So I played it on a freshly formatted, nearly empty internal drive.

Yes, external 7200rpm drive. I mean it’s definitely not terrible, as it seems to happen in the same spots. One was a roof of a building that would cause a stutter if I walked along it. Same spot every time, which made me think streaming stutter. Most of the time it’s perfectly smooth though, so I’m happy.

dark10x

Yes, external 7200rpm drive. I mean it’s definitely not terrible, as it seems to happen in the same spots. One was a roof of a building that would cause a stutter if I walked along it. Same spot every time, which made me think streaming stutter. Most of the time it’s perfectly smooth though, so I’m happy.
I’m definitely not getting those on my system. Zero stuttering. I’m completely certain if this.

Clearly this is a drive sensitive game.

Even those using an SSD won’t escape this as the bottleneck isn’t necessarily the drive itself.

It looks and runs great on PS4 so far. It's a big step up from the last game, which was severely let down by technical issues. It's pretty weird to me that this thread is so unrelentingly negative. PS4 pro was kind of a half-assed half-measure by Sony and I'm not surprised developers aren't bending over backwards to cater to it.

leng jai

It looks and runs great on PS4 so far. It's a big step up from the last game, which was severely let down by technical issues. It's pretty weird to me that this thread is so unrelentingly negative. PS4 pro was kind of a half-assed half-measure by Sony and I'm not surprised developers aren't bending over backwards to cater to it.

You're surprised that people are being negative on a game with zero Pro support at launch in a DF thread? Really? You're right that they didn't bend over backwards for the Pro version, in fact they've literally done nothing for it so far. It's not like it's a common occurrence for big titles like this to have no support for it whatsoever. Not to mention the PC version is screwed as well for a lot of people so if you want to play it at higher than 1080p you're pretty much stuffed unless you have a extremely fast videocard.

holygeesus

Banned
Ok, for anyone experiencing issues, could you try the internal drive? I know it’s a pain but I’m slowly gathering data on this problem. Both Xbox and PS4 exhibit these types of issues in random games when using external while internal cleans it right up.

Ok, so I transferred to an internal SSHD and after a brief 30 minute play, the choppiness is gone, so it is clearly the external drive causing issues. I remember also having a similar quirk with cut-scenes in Yakuza. Could the problem be somehow that the game is loading in too quickly from external SSD and there being a bottleneck elsewhere? i.e. it is loading in too quick for some other aspect of memory allocation to keep up with or something?

Thanks for the advice though and sorry for doubting your video!

kc44135

You're surprised people are upset/disappointed that their (very expensive) product is not being supported by a AAA developer? Of course people would be upset, and react negatively to that! Y'know, some people actually like their PRO, believe it or not, and don't consider it a "half-assed half-measure", and would therefore like to see it supported.

dark10x

Ok, so I transferred to an internal SSHD and after a brief 30 minute play, the choppiness is gone, so it is clearly the external drive causing issues. I remember also having a similar quirk with cut-scenes in Yakuza. Could the problem be somehow that the game is loading in too quickly from external SSD and there being a bottleneck elsewhere? i.e. it is loading in too quick for some other aspect of memory allocation to keep up with or something?

Thanks for the advice though and sorry for doubting your video!
From my experience, I don't think it's related to the drive quality itself. Obviously an SSD is going to smoke the internal drive.

I suspect it's something to do with the USB interface, how the data is organized on an external disc or some other weird bandwidth issue somewhere in the chain. This is starting to pop-up more often now and it's catching developers off guard, I think, since it's not easy to test for.

KageMaru

It's kind of crazy how it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for people in the industry. People complain about the lack of support, they announce they are working on support, and people assume they are sitting on the update for the 1X. We don't know what went on during development, so I don't think it's fair to be jumping to conclusions still. What we do know is based on the XBO and PC versions, the team could have had more time. Unfortunately release dates aren't entirely up to them.

We should just wait and see what they produce before grabbing the pitchforks and torches.

Jacob4815

I have the game but I'm waiting for the patch announced by the community manager. I hope it will be released very soon, can't wait to play the game.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'll get it when they release the patch.

psychotron

From my experience, I don't think it's related to the drive quality itself. Obviously an SSD is going to smoke the internal drive.

I suspect it's something to do with the USB interface, how the data is organized on an external disc or some other weird bandwidth issue somewhere in the chain. This is starting to pop-up more often now and it's catching developers off guard, I think, since it's not easy to test for.

I guess I'll transfer the game to the internal drive when I get home.

holygeesus

Banned
After another couple of hours playing from the internal SSHD of my Pro, I'd like to slightly go back on what I said previously, as there are still a few jittery moments - mainly when panning the camera outside over areas with multiple enemies. I also notice that after a new area loads, or after a cut-scene, the first few seconds of action drops frames until things 'settle down'.

Swapping back to give the SSD external another go over the same area to compare again.

Top Bottom