• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 (Switch cartridge) requires 16GB download for all features

Kusagari

NBA2K has had ridiculous storage requirements for years now

Should have been expected it would be no different on Switch.

Sorry if this has been addressed, but do we know how big the save files are on other platforms? I mean, I know you can do a lot of customizing here, but that has to be some sort of giant swap file, no? Can't just be stats and junk. Save file seems like the wrong term, even if it does house the user's saved data.

mnannola

5GB save file? That has to include some kind of video right? No other way to need that much data just to persist the state of the game.

Ok, I'll bite.

I just don't think Nintendo wants to be in the business of having to deal with corrupted saves and transfers potentially happening.

Nintendo had made several devices the last 15 years that you can corrupt data on. The Gamecube? Wii? Wii U? DS/3DS? And now the Switch, all have some form of storage that can be corrupted if the user takes the card out during the process. Guess what happens if I'm transferring a game from internal memory to my micro SD, and I decide for some flippant reason to remove the card during the process? Whoops. Hell, data can become corrupted during transfer without moving the storage. This is electronics, shit happens from time to time.

I'm not sure what to think of this but I'm honestly pretty frustrated. I feel like 2K should definitely be using larger game cards. Even if they didn't want to use the 32 GB card they could have went for a 16 GB card and made the required download a lot smaller. Think I'm just gonna skip NBA 2K this year.

Nintendo had made several devices the last 15 years that you can corrupt data on. The Gamecube? Wii? Wii U? DS/3DS? And now the Switch, all have some form of storage that can be corrupted if the user takes the card out during the process. Guess what happens if I'm transferring a game from internal memory to my micro SD, and I decide for some flippant reason to remove the card during the process? Whoops. Hell, data can become corrupted during transfer without moving the storage. This is electronics, shit happens from time to time.

ok

This dude is a troll and a hater.

Thanks for adding so much to the discussion. Had you read my post, you'd see that I own a Switch. Am I trolling myself? Relax.

Have we established the save file size on other platforms? The problem with that comparison is that other platforms have a multitude of storage options, and generally speaking, 5 gb isn't that much in the grand scheme of things when you're dealing with 500 gb or 1 tb. I didn't tell Nintendo to put such little storage into the hardware, so don't call me a troll for pointing out their problem.

Ouroboros

Sorry if this has been asked already, but how does a massive open world zelda game fit on a cart, but a basketball game doesnt?

Sorry if this has been asked already, but how does a massive open world zelda game fit on a cart, but a basketball game doesnt?

the zelda universe is actually massively smaller than our universe. the entire landmass of BOTW only takes up about half a basketball court

Zelda's geometry/textures/etc. are not very complex. Open world does not automatically equate to massive file size when there are so many recycled, low-quality, last-gen assets.

Crazyorloco

5GB save per account on switch, but each account has like 10 files within it. So I can have 10 myplayers files.

2K games have been large on all consoles. I don't mind it for the presentation experience and graphics in this game.

jmizzal

Again, other consoles are not limited to 32GB of internal memory / 128-256 microSDs

So you want them to make a crap game just so we can have low space? they made a great looking feature complete NBA 2K game for Switch, that games with high space requirements

wanders

Little off topic but how is the Run the Neighborhood mode on switch. How are the party options? Is it easy to join an other person's game/neigborhood?

jwhit28

I prefer passing the cost off to 1 SD card purchase instead of paying extra for each big cartridge like back in the SNES/Genesis days. It will have some growing pains but at least Nintendo is avoiding arbitrary size limits like at the beginning of XBLA.

Wait so the game isn't even on a 16GB card? Ridiculous, both the saved storage benefit (at least for cartridges) and convenience of beIng able to just buy a game and play it right away is lost here, and I say that as someone who's all digital but understands why some people like physical copies.

Wait so the game isn't even on a 16GB card? Ridiculous, both the saved storage benefit (at least for cartridges) and convenience of beIng able to just buy a game and play it right away is lost here, and I say that as someone who's all digital but understands why some people like physical copies.

Yep, they've all but killed any point in buying the physical version of this game, and being a sports game to boot? Yeah, no.

J@hranimo

Banned
Hmm, this is a tad troublesome. Hopefully these cards come down in price in a years time or less.

Still going to get the game and was gonna buy a micro SD soonish anyway, but this is inconvenient not gonna lie.

rudger

Ok, I'll bite.

I just don't think Nintendo wants to be in the business of having to deal with corrupted saves and transfers potentially happening.

My solution? Just re-download the game. Then again, I don't have data cap limits and can off-load my save to my NAS or something if I really want to get crazy - but I don't.

I think there is a reason why Nintendo hasn't put Netflix or USB storage support on the Switch. I don't think they see it as a tablet or an entertainment device - but just a portable gaming machine that can also be displayed on the TV.

I think a better solution would be to make an updated version of their 3ds backup application. The 3ds let you connect remotely to a pc to create file backups. This would be perfect for a device like the Switch. No fear of unhooking the system from the drive, no reliance on internet connections or servers to access your files, and they've already shown they can implement it.

This practice needs to be outlawed by Nintendo. What freaking BS.

If you have a big game distribute it on a bigger cartridge. Or make a couple of less-used, optional modes require a download.

Honestly at this point, why even bother with a cartridge at all? Just sell a download code, lol.

FyreWulff

also, WTF at a 5gb save? bloated, in-efficient coding perhaps?

Yeah sports games have had super large save files for a while now. Madden took a whole Memory Card 59 on GameCube.

No real way to get around it due to the insane amount of data they have to track.

This practice needs to be outlawed by Nintendo. What freaking BS.

If you have a big game distribute it on a bigger cartridge. Or make a couple of less-used, optional modes require a download.

Honestly at this point, why even bother with a cartridge at all? Just sell a download code, lol.

And the developers will respond by not putting their games on the system, or making them download only which still puts the onus on the end user to fork over for more storage. This was one of the effects of going with flash storage coupled with low stock internal memory. We can only hope that 64gb cards become cheap enough soon and that microSD cards continue to drop price/increase over time. Sandisk already has a 400gb card but I personally couldn't bring myself to pay $250 on storage for a $300 system. 200gb cards though, are $70-80 bucks and 256gb ones as low as $130( on amazon). Hopefully black friday we'll see $30 bucks or more slashed off the going prices in those sizes.

deadfolk

Nintendo really needs to add support for save files on SD cards stat.

A couple more games like this and there will be no more room for saves and we'll all stop buying games because we don't want to delete our save files.

I know they're worried about people exploiting saves to hack the system, but this is going to be a real problem pretty soon.

I mean this in the nicest way as I enjoy my Switch a lot - but what exactly were people expecting here? Last years game was 50 gb+ if I remember it right, along with having a stupid big save file requirement (obviously less of a deal if you have at least 500 GB HD). This game is also feature identical with the other versions of the game. It just kind of is what it is, as this game is routinely one of the best selling games of the year. Releasing a "neutered" version on the Switch would also face significant backlash.

I...just really don't understand what Nintendo was doing releasing a 32GB system in 2017. It's a bummer, but this probably isn't going to be the exception going forward if 3rd party games continue to release on the Switch.

Chindogg

Thanks for adding so much to the discussion. Had you read my post, you'd see that I own a Switch. Am I trolling myself? Relax.

Have we established the save file size on other platforms? The problem with that comparison is that other platforms have a multitude of storage options, and generally speaking, 5 gb isn't that much in the grand scheme of things when you're dealing with 500 gb or 1 tb. I didn't tell Nintendo to put such little storage into the hardware, so don't call me a troll for pointing out their problem.

5GB is bigger than most games on Switch, let alone saves.

lol

I mean this in the nicest way as I enjoy my Switch a lot - but what exactly were people expecting here? Last years game was 50 gb+ if I remember it right, along with having a stupid big save file requirement (obviously less of a deal if you have at least 500 GB HD). This game is also feature identical with the other versions of the game. It just kind of is what it is, as this game is routinely one of the best selling games of the year. Releasing a "neutered" version on the Switch would also face significant backlash.

I...just really don't understand what Nintendo was doing releasing a 32GB system in 2017. It's a bummer, but this probably isn't going to be the exception going forward if 3rd party games continue to release on the Switch.

They expect people to buy SDcards. If they knew they couldn't get away with it they would have increased storage space. They can get away with it because of the mobile nature of the "console".

The console is selling and they get higher profits.

And the developers will respond by not putting their games on the system, or making them download only which still puts the onus on the end user to fork over for more storage. This was one of the effects of going with flash storage coupled with low stock internal memory.

I would argue that some games becoming download-only would be a superior outcome. At least it's transparent. What NBA is doing is confusing and basically defeats the purpose of having a physical copy to begin with.

Top Bottom