• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Microsoft comms on Xbox One X launch getting through?

gossi

So I've had a number of conversations with people I work with in IT lately about getting an Xbox One X, and all of them have the same question:

What's an Xbox One X?

With less than 3 weeks til launch, it feels like people don't even know this thing exists.

Zedox

So I've had a number of conversations with people I work with in IT lately about getting an Xbox One X, and all of them have the same question:

What's an Xbox One X?

With less than 3 weeks til launch, it feels like people don't even know this thing exists.

It's for hardcore...doesn't surprise me that regular people don't know.

GHG

It's the same thing as what happened when the pro launched or a new GPU/CPU launch.

The target demographic will be aware of it but it would be a waste to market the product to anybody outside of that because they wouldn't see the value in it.

What?

People who care about videogames enough know what it is. They're showcasing it at video game events showing it's the most powerful console around. It can even be played. Game ads like Shadow Of War showcase the S and X alike. Most Xbox-related news nowadays involve the X. At this point if you don't know what an X is you aren't following any videogame related website, channel or whatever. I could not hear about it almost daily even if I tried.

gossi

I guess you guys are right. It just feels weirdly limiting for MS, the audience they're targeting feels like existing Xbox One owners - when the whole point one Project Scorpio originally was to break out of that and the narrative they weren't as powerful (i.e. gain a bigger audience).

Durante

It's launching in less than 3 weeks? Even I din't know that, and I spend far too much time reading about games.

black070

GAF doesn't equate to the general public, just because the X is being hyped here doesn't mean its all that big of a product to the mass market.

nampad

What's an Xbox One X?

Same happened with the PS4 Pro and the Wii U ;)

kmax

They got an incredible box with no games. Where are those third parties at?

I'm not surprised by the lack of buzz.

panda-zebra

I guess you guys are right. It just feels weirdly limiting for MS, the audience they're targeting feels like existing Xbox One owners - when the whole point one Project Scorpio originally was to break out of that and the narrative they weren't as powerful (i.e. gain a bigger audience).

No, it was to sell yet more hardware to the same customers at a premium and to help retain their engagement.

GHG

You've misunderstood the point of this console. It's a strategic move to retain a large proportion of the current Xbox audience for the rest of this generation. Furthermore it locks them into the ecosystem while easing people towards an iterative console future.

It's not about a "narrative", it's the first step in a long term plan.

Floody

Have they started marketing it to more casual consumers yet? When the TV ads and all the rest of the marketing goes into full gear, is when a lot of those people will learn about it or care enough to remember it.

I didn't know it was so close though, kinda surprised it's only 3 weeks away, but I also don't really care about the X at all.

MrBenchmark

There were a lot of people at the Microsoft store where I live last week and damn near every one there preordered a system that night people were hyped and they should be just seeing the difference in Forza 7 was mind blowing.

Anyone who likes consoles and like better graphics will know about and buy this system I think it’ll do just fine. I’ve seen more hype for this than I did for the pro in my area and circle of people by a large margin.

Akai__

Aside from the obvious TV advertisements/commercials, I expect a media blowout by next week. It may seem like this is a bit late, but the people who want to get a Xbox One X probably know about it either way and they never intended this to be for the general audience either way. They probably know what they are doing.

Also, my Xbox One X pre-order (here in Germany) was cancelled by Gamestop, yesterday. The employee told me that MS (as of yesterday) can't keep their promise of shipping the number of units that they promised them. I obviously don't know if this is true or not, but they were complaining about how it is the Switch situation all over again where there are worldwide supply shortages on launch and then weeks later the stores in Germany can't get rid of the consoles (this part is true because Gamestop, Media Markt and Saturn have mountains of Switch consoles in the stores).

Obviously it sucks, but I can wait a bit longer if needed and at least I got an additional 50€ gift card towards my old Xbox One and 1 month of Xbox Live Gold already and even if something changes I'll be able to keep these benefits.

The hardcore/enthusiast X1 owner knows about it and will make up most of this year's buyers. That said, I'm sure they'll do some kind of real push just in time for release. X1S should be the main box to sell this year.

kmax

It's 2017 and people still unironically say this. Amazing.

I'm jesting, but I think we'll have to see what comes of MS moving forward. I wasn't particularly impressed with their line-up this E3, but you never know what Phil and the rest of the team are cooking up.

They got an incredible box with no games. Where are those third parties at?

I'm not surprised by the lack of buzz.
You do know it gets every western multiplat right? You know most of the games you'll play on everything else this holiday.

Did you mean first party, because that's what they're missing but not really needed for their market, it basically has every game most causals want to play.

That's exactly what they should be doing. It only matters to the most hardcore fans that the X is actually a better proposal than the other xboxes.

For the mass public, the message they want to give is that they are all Xbox One consoles and that both S and X (which even sound similar) are amazing.

Genuine question, but is there much point advertising a launch that's already sold through it's launch allotment pretty much? I guess you'd get some people to pick up an S. I guess also that you'd help generate buzz about the system if more people wanted it and couldn't get it.

On the other hand, if demand is currently ahead of supply, why not hold back those advertising dollars until they have more product to sell?

blakep267

What's an Xbox One X?

The first adopters are going to be people that actually know what t is. If they are asking that question it's likely not for them

It's not being marketed at the people you're speaking to, that's pretty obvious. Microsoft's going after the people who regularly read GAF, and I'm sure virtually everyone here knows what it is and that it's coming before Christmas.

ElfArmy177

I got four family members who don't even know wtf gaf is but are all getting Xbox one x and counting down the days..... Same with coworkers, much more than 4 lol

It's a product for hardcores. Anyone expecting numbers similar to new consoles is just being delusional.

Also "I know people that are getting it" doesn't prove anything.

FN-2187

I still have to explain that to anyone I talk with, regardless of how big of a gamer they are.

Haha exactly. When BOTW came out, I was playing it on the GamePad and my son's friend saw and said "You got a Nintendo Switch!" When I told him I was playing it on Wii U, he replied: "What's Wii U?"

Daffy Duck

It is just a mirror of when the Pro launched, this time around though I am a little more hyped because I am getting one.

Still not sure why though, lol.

that only just barely works when your first party games are basically the best games.
(xb1 does have a lot of games tho, just not 1st party)

I was only jesting.

big_z

Genuine question, but is there much point advertising a launch that's already sold through it's launch allotment pretty much? I guess you'd get some people to pick up an S. I guess also that you'd help generate buzz about the system if more people wanted it and couldn't get it.

On the other hand, if demand is currently ahead of supply, why not hold back those advertising dollars until they have more product to sell?

the launch will be sold out but they will have more shipments across the holiday. they'll probably start advertising closer to black Friday when more units should be available.

Markoman

In the best case, I expect it to have a better sales ratio with X1 compared to PS4-PS Pro.
Maybe 25-30% compared to the 20% of the Pro. We're talking US here...WW X1X launch at this moment isn't get through at all it seems.

Freeman76

This will get me flamed to fuck (even though I am unbiased and own consoles from all the big 3), I think it's because less people care about MS nowadays. They have tried to fuck the user base over once too many times and it's cost them. Only my opinion, but I was a complete 360 fanboy last gen and I don't care in the slightest what they announce these days.

KORNdoggy

a few things are factoring into this i think.

it's a niche system for gaming enthusiasts, joe public won't know or care about it, not at that asking price.

the messaging is being muddied somewhat by the fact it isn't the uncompromising native 4k system it was made out to be. and even if it WAS, there has been a system on the market for a year now touting 4k already (it's kind of irrelevant that it's checkerboarded). in consumers eyes the xbox one x is just going to seem like it's late to the 4k party.

also, and similarly to the PS4Pro, it's impossible to demo the benefits of a resolution bump for a lot of people since they don't have the display to take advantage of it or a means to broadcast footage that shows it off adequately. same goes for HDR.

enough people will know about it for it to do relatively well though, so i can't imagine MS are that worried.

EmiPrime

What exactly are you missing?

Something more than "the most powerful console ever". There's precious little on Xbox Wire and the Xbox channel on Youtube. I shouldn't have to rely on Digital Foundry to tell me what my £450 gets me.

I'm sure a marketing push of some description will happen pre-release and we'll find out what that XB1X exclusive BC feature they have yet to reveal is soon enough but it would be nice to have known more and a lot sooner.

GLAMr

Were comms for the Pro really that bad? My wife asked me if I wanted to upgrade to a Pro or get a Switch for my birthday, and she can barely work a smart TV. I assume she saw something on social media (we don't watch TV or buy magazines etc).

I only hear about the One X on GAF. I know one person who is buying one, and one person who wants one but can't afford it. I haven't heard much else about it. Again, I don't watch TV so I don't really see ads much. I have no interest in buying one, but I can't wait to see teardowns showing how they cool that beast.

Jumeira

Banned
MS have done a brilliant job with showcasing and explaining the difference with S and X for gamers. Websites with Xbox X Enhanced filters, Dashboard with 4k asset migration feature, articles about the differences, lists of games that will feature enhanced mode, the policy behind enhanced support and a website dedicated around it. Lots of interviews to back that all up.

I think they'll ramp up marketing in about a week, the hardcore will be responsible for word of mouth, and the condensed message for casuals will roll out with their marketing blow out. They've barely marketed Forza 7 imo for this reason, they'll push it along with Assasins Creed as part of X marketing .

Were comms for the Pro really that bad?

Yes, so bad that GAF members had to start a thread to list Pro supported games.

ElfArmy177

This will get me flamed to fuck (even though I am unbiased and own consoles from all the big 3), I think it's because less people care about MS nowadays. They have tried to fuck the user base over once too many times and it's cost them. Only my opinion, but I was a complete 360 fanboy last gen and I don't care in the slightest what they announce these days.

Maybe, I dunno. I absolutely love Sony, but I despise their online multiplayer and the ps operating system. I feel it's clumsy and ugly. So I'll never play multiplayer games on Sony hardware. My family isn't exactly Xbox fans over Sony, they just enjoy how easy the operating system is and how fluid online multiplayer is. I think it just depends on where your friends are and unfortunately many people switched to Sony this generation so it seems less are interested in Xbox.. who knows

gamz

Something more than "the most powerful console ever". There's precious little on Xbox Wire and the Xbox channel on Youtube. I shouldn't have to rely on Digital Foundry to tell me what my £450 gets me.

I'm sure a marketing push of some description will happen pre-release and we'll find out what that XB1X exclusive BC feature they have yet to reveal is soon enough but it would be nice to have known more and a lot sooner.

I find that hard to believe when we've had oodles of threads about specs and there's been no short supply of teardowns and spec analysis.

If you work in IT then you know damn well 90% of the people you work with don’t give even the slightest fuck about modern video games.

munroe

They've said themselves, that they don't expect the X to be their biggest seller, it's targeted at a specific audience and as such they expect the S to be the one that sells the most so it's understandable that not everyone is going to know what an X is

EmiPrime

I find that hard to believe when we've had oodles of threads about specs and there's been no short supply of teardowns and spec analysis.

What do threads on an enthusiast forum and Digital Foundry analyses have to do with official Microsoft marketing?

gamz

What do threads on an enthusiast forum and Digital Foundry analyses have to do with official Microsoft marketing?

Its all part if it. As is the many, many times MS has announced the specs, games, teardowns and whatever else. I'm surprised you as an enthusiast feel you don't have enough information?

Freeman76

Maybe, I dunno. I absolutely love Sony, but I despise their online multiplayer and the ps operating system. I feel it's clumsy and ugly. So I'll never play multiplayer games on Sony hardware. My family isn't exactly Xbox fans over Sony, they just enjoy how easy the operating system is and how fluid online multiplayer is. I think it just depends on where your friends are and unfortunately many people switched to Sony this generation so it seems less are interested in Xbox.. who knows

Good point!

Top Bottom