• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

Saty

Quarry doesn't even get a spot on 'notable cancellations'.
--
Looking for new stuff to watch, any recommendations? Maybe The Handmaids Tale? For every suggestion please write the worst thing you can say about the show.

berzeli

Banned
handmaid's tale is a bit of a downer -- that's about the worst thing i can say about the show
Understatement of the year.

But yeah the show is freaking excellent, the worst thing I can say is that they did some weird mixing on a song in a scene which pulled me out for a split second.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Stump and berzeli covered the weak spots of Handmaid's Tale. Other than that, it's definitely the highlight of the year. I hope Elizabeth Moss gets showered in awards

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Small to moderate push, and they've done nothing with it since. I don't even know if they've bothered to translate the menus to Swedish yet, like why would you launch a service if you can't be bothered to even try?

They launched in Sweden without even localizing it??

Looking for new stuff to watch, any recommendations? Maybe The Handmaids Tale? For every suggestion please write the worst thing you can say about the show.

+1 Handmaid's Tale. The worst thing I can say about it is that sometimes the end scene music is too on the nose and also that episode 7 is a bit "filler-y".

berzeli

Banned
They launched in Sweden without even localizing it??
They launched without localisation, without subtitles for the majority for their programming, and without the latest from seasons of Amazon originals (since they were already licensed to other, better services).

It is a 102 in how to not launch your streaming service. 101 is HBO Nordic, and to rectify that HBO revamped the entire site+apps (including streaming tech), changed the entire business plan, and did a re-launch campaign where they went and said "we fucked up, check out our free trial to see if we have improved). Nothing short of that and Amazon is fucked in the Nordics... again, you'd think they would have learned from their failure to- wait they're trying again? (article from April this year)
The "Amazon.se" domain was recently bought by the company in a deal estimated to be worth up to five million kronor ($554,500) startup news site Breakit reports.
and in case anyone wonders how this is news, pls let me introduce something that has been endlessly amusing to be for several years:
According to Breakit, many of the preparations for a launch of Amazon in Sweden have been in place since 2014, but the inability to use the "Amazon.se" domain was a stumbling block.
(actually slightly earlier than that from what I've heard)
The domain was previously owned by a Swedish advertising agency established in the 1990s, Amazon AB, whose president and sole employee is a 59-year-old graphic designer in Östermalm, Stockholm.

The US Amazon had repeatedly tried to buy the domain from the unrelated company without success, until now.
I know they made enquiries/an offer as early as 2007
If this gets cancelled after renewal it definitely is Showtime's Vinyl!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
YouTube views for the trailers released 3ish months ago on the respective official channel accounts:

(in millions)

The Gifted - 13.8
Marvel's Inhumans - 8.93
The Mayor - 4.41
The Good Doctor - 3.92
The Orville - 3.13
Young Sheldon - 2.72
Will & Grace - 2.10 (trailer from January)
Dynasty - 2.04
Roseanne - 1.94
Ghosted - 1.16
S.W.A.T. - 905K
Valor - 431K
Seal Team - 285K
Me, Myself & I - 155K
9JKL - 146K
Wisdom of the Crowd - 134K
Ten Days in the Valley - 32K

The original trailers for Kevin (Probably) Saves the World fka The Gospel of Kevin, The Brave, and Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders are gone.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Brave picked up showrunners after the pilot process and name change and my understanding is that there's a bit of a tonal shift. Not sure if they reshot the pilot or they're keeping it as is.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
They launched without localisation, without subtitles for the majority for their programming, and without the latest from seasons of Amazon originals (since they were already licensed to other, better services).

WOW

and in case anyone wonders how this is news, pls let me introduce something that has been endlessly amusing to be for several years:

(actually slightly earlier than that from what I've heard)

I know they made enquiries/an offer as early as 2007

lol

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What the absolute fuck.

How does a show as universally panned as this one survive? I half-expect season 2 to just be shot in one location and kill off half its cast.

It probably pulled in a not-completely-horrible audience for them on demand (as opposed to the live numbers, which were awful). It was also mentioned in the Deadline article that the execs at Showtime liked the pitch for season 2.

Pachimari

So the season officially starts sunday with Orville?
I would say it started on September 1 with Dad of Light and a new season of Narcos. American Horror Story's new season also started up four days ago, and Boseman Horsejack started up again yesterday.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Someone asked about this in the last cancellation thread, so I figured I'd mention it here, but one of Cinemax's dead projects might get revived at Amazon: the adaptation of Garth Ennis' The Boys. They've put in a script order for it (still from Eric Kripke, Seth Rogen, and Evan Goldberg), with an eye for a straight to series order.

Source

The article lists a variety of new projects in the works at Amazon, but no mention of what's become of the last batch of pilots that Amazon sent out for testing last March. Namely 'Oasis', which was their most watched pilot from that batch. It got nearly twice the amount of ratings as The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (which got a 2 season pick up) - about 16K vs 8K - and it also reviewed very well on Amazon (5 solid stars) and imdb - an 8.3 vs Maisel's 8.7.

I mean, we all know Amazon's pilot season is a sham, but still...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

THR said:
The move to reverse course comes as Amazon is said to be reducing its spending on originals heading into 2018, sources say.

Hm.

Not so sez Price via Cornballer:

Article claims they aren't, but they're not releasing numbers.

There’s been speculation about Amazon reining in its development expenditures — something that Price flatly denies. Amazon’s aggregate spending on original content will be up in 2018 versus this year, he said, although he would not cite specific dollar figures.

Slayven

Someone asked about this in the last cancellation thread, so I figured I'd mention it here, but one of Cinemax's dead projects might get revived at Amazon: the adaptation of Garth Ennis' The Boys. They've put in a script order for it (still from Eric Kripke, Seth Rogen, and Evan Goldberg), with an eye for a straight to series order.

Source

The article lists a variety of new projects in the works at Amazon, but no mention of what's become of the last batch of pilots that Amazon sent out for testing last March. Namely 'Oasis', which was their most watched pilot from that batch. It got nearly twice the amount of ratings as The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (which got a 2 season pick up) - about 16K vs 8K - and it also reviewed very well on Amazon (5 solid stars) and imdb - an 8.3 vs Maisel's 8.7.

The thing where people are suppose to pick the show?

So is Oasis in limbo then? I watched it the other month and really liked it. In fact I wanted to know what would happen next, so I read the book it is based off of. Which did me no good, the book is different, very different. (Good book though)

I would say it started on September 1 with Dad of Light and a new season of Narcos. American Horror Story's new season also started up four days ago, and Boseman Horsejack started up again yesterday.

Cable, streaming etc. don't count. "The season" is strictly broadcast. I would say the season probably starts the week of the 25th, when the vast majority returns, and anything earlier is getting a jump start.

Source

Speaking of Amazon, apparently Bezos himself has mandated a major shift in their programming output. He wants Game Of Thrones type shows, in term of global appeal, not whatever they've been trying so far.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amazon-studios-jeff-bezos-roy-price-zelda-1202552532/

berzeli

Banned
Speaking of Amazon, apparently Bezos himself has mandated a major shift in their programming output. He wants Game Of Thrones type shows, in term of global appeal, not whatever they've been trying so far.
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amazon-studios-jeff-bezos-roy-price-zelda-1202552532/

It's pretty fun to see how some of the article basically mirrors the discussion we had earlier in this thread:
article said:
For all of Amazon’s investment in original series, it’s been eclipsed this season by its smaller rival Hulu with the critically praised “The Handmaid’s Tale.”
Even Hulu seems able to generate a lot more buzz for their shows
I thought the handmaids tail was the biggest hulu show everyone was talking about it.
article said:
Amazon faced another black eye in the creative community this week when reports of strife behind the scenes on another drama series, “Goliath,” emerged along with the news of the show’s third showrunner in two seasons
He also asserted that Amazon has not had a higher incidence of behind-the-scenes changes on shows than other networks doing comparable volume.
Is it just my imagination or does Amazon run through showrunners like Lucasfilms runs through directors. Lol

But the notion that all they need is a "big global show" in order to gain subscribers is exactly why they aren't competitive. Like you can't just "build it and they will come".
If you take a look at the biggest mainstream film/tv site in Sweden, my best guess is that the average user mirrors that of IMDb (i.e. overwhelmingly male, nerd-ish, 18-30). And now let's take a look at two of the big shows premiering in Sweden, one on Amazon, the other on HBO Nordic:
American Gods is rated by 14 people | IMDb 35,325 votes <- 4:1 ratio men:women
Handmaid's Tale is rated by 57 people | IMDb 29,801 votes <- 50/50 split on gender
And smaller shows, but this time use Netflix (which admittedly has more subscribers than all other services combined in the Nordics):
Sneaky Pete is rated by 1 person | IMDb 12,254 votes
Gypsy is rated by 10 people | IMDb 6,734 votes

Okay so that's not an entirely fair comparison, let's see if we can find something on HBO Nordic which premiered this year and wasn't particularly big:
Room 104 is rated by 2 people | IMDb 1,316 votes

Now obviously because this is just a from single datapoint, but the discrepancy is massive. And like, there isn't much data on Amazon in Sweden because their footprint is so small it isn't even tracked by our equivalent of Rasmussen.

The biggest shows in the world won't save you, yet again HBO had to redo everything about their service in order for it to catch on and they literally have Game of Thrones.
And shit like this is worrying:
Multiple industry sources who work with Amazon say it is clear there is pressure on Price and his team to deliver. There has been speculation about the prospect of major management changes at Amazon Studios given the number of industry insiders who have complained about what they see has a difficult working environment at the streaming giant.

“It’s not a good sign when Seattle overrules your decision,” said one prominent producer of Amazon’s reversal on “Z.”

Must have been a lot of emergency meetings at Amazon's TV unit over the last few days. Management in Seattle finally caught on to what was going on, and the knives are out.

kevin1025

Banned
Amazon getting ruthless! They're in the closest avenue to compete with Netflix (though Hulu is catching up, and Disney and Apple might hit hard in two years), so going for broader and larger scale shows might be a good move. But it would be super unfortunate if the smaller, artier kinds of things fall by the wayside in the process, at least for me.

kevin1025

Banned
I hope AMZN doesnt cancel Goliath.

Since they canned the showrunner, scrapped three episodes (which I think were possibly even filmed?), and brought in a new showrunner, I think it's very safe, if they're allowing it that much leeway!

Edit: I'll keep what I wrote above. But apparently it was four episodes! And rather than rewrite, they just cut the episode order down to seven.

That definitely is weird. Hopefully nothing funny happens to it, it's great!

berzeli

Banned
Amazon has cancelled The Last Tycoon.
I thought Amazon already cancelled their Fitzgerald based period piece?
Must have been a lot of emergency meetings at Amazon's TV unit over the last few days. Management in Seattle finally caught on to what was going on, and the knives are out.
Wonder if they'll cull some executives as well.
I hope AMZN doesnt cancel Goliath.
Well:

Not that behind the scenes drama is necessarily the death knell of a show. It did end up with a shortened season order, then again same thing with season 1. But if it drops in popularity and/or Billy Bob Thornton doesn't win another Golden Globe it's probably not too long for this world.

Aiii

So not worth it
AVClub went in hard on Inhumans.

Inhumans is appalling on a number of levels, easily the worst page-to-screen adaptation Marvel has done since it launched its studio (more on those failings in a moment), but the most disappointing part of this project is that the studio squandered its ambitious launch of a new TV show with the most unappealing and unsightly product imaginable. This was like announcing you’re going to release a big new action spectacle on IMAX theaters, then screening an unreleased episode of Manimal, but without the quality writing.

I was one of the apparently 41 people who actually went to see Inhumans on an IMAX screen this weekend, and came away less disappointed than perplexed anyone would have seen this and agreed it should be shown to the public, rather than buried at the bottom of a very deep landfill, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial-style. No one likes to admit defeat and start over, especially on such a costly endeavor, but better that than putting your failure up on hundreds of screens around the country for everyone to recoil in horror. And recoil they did: “The Worst Thing Marvel Has Done In Decades,” reads a typical review headline.

If anything, the superb IMAX shots only serve to provide a jarring and unwelcome reminder of how bad everything else looks. It’s like cutting back and forth between a big-budget movie and a YouTube fan film of that same property. Almost every interior shot resembles a Syfy show from the 2000s, which means at best you get some decent cinematography à la Battlestar Galactica. More often, though, you end up with Gene Roddenberry’s Andromeda.

But the worst culprit in this misfire is showrunner Scott Buck and his god-awful dialogue. This is some of the weakest writing on any new TV show of the season, let alone a genre property. After a hilariously abrupt introductory scene (“Hi, we’re Inhumans, we live on the moon, humans fear us, let’s go” is honestly not that far off the actual script) which ends with
Nicola Peltz being shot—something more than a few Bates Motel fans have probably longed to see onscreen—
the screenplay veers clumsily between sodden exposition and humorless banter. Oh, god, the banter. It resembles lazy pandering, the way old fantasy shows often felt like the writer thought they were too good for the material. Dramatic scenes are unintentionally funny, and comic relief beats were met with a grim silence. (“Was... was that a joke?” someone behind me whispered to their friend at one point.) You know something has gone wrong when the villain’s evil plan actually seems like the most reasonable idea of any of the major characters, at least when they’re not saddling that person (gamely portrayed by Game Of Thrones’ Iwan Rheon) with a creepy and juvenile romantic obsession with his brother’s wife.

jelly

I wonder if Inhumans will be a hate watch success.

Are they cancelling the Last Ship because this season is horrific and it's not that good a show anyway, well last season wasn't too bad. It feels like their budget was axed to nothing and spent it on Robocop.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm still gonna watch that shit.

Watch something else instead. Like 100 Million Yen Women on Netflix, that is a good Japanese Netflix Original that I am sure tons of people ignore because subtitles.

I read the comments under the Netflix YT trailer of Club de Cuervos, an excellent Mexican Netflix Original comedy, and it just saddened me how many of them were negative because not-English or saying they would never ever watch a non-English show. I didn’t even know this was a real thing, but I guess it is so.

Anyways, sorry for going off topic. It really does not seem Inhumans is something you should waste your time on, but that should have beeen obvious from the second you saw Scott Buck made this hehe.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I read the comments under the Netflix YT trailer of Club de Cuervos, an excellent Mexican Netflix Original comedy, and it just saddened me how many of them were negative because not-English or saying they would never ever watch a non-English show. I didn’t even know this was a real thing, but I guess it is so.

Americans in general hate anything that is subtitled.

Maybe.

Are they cancelling the Last Ship because this season is horrific and it's not that good a show anyway, well last season wasn't too bad.
It was already renewed last year (2016), not only for a fourth season (2017), but also for a fifth and final season (2018).

It feels like their budget was axed to nothing and spent it on Robocop.
What?

Aiii

So not worth it

I seriously always thought this was just a punchline used in comedies to giggle at how narrow minded the characters were. I am quite shocked to find out it is actually true.

Maybe I shouldn’t be that surprised. Shame though, big shame.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I've actually been wondering this myself. It's airing on Fridays, the bar is already pretty low. I doubt another IMAX deal is happening, but the show already looks mega cheap.

I still remember Walmart having warning signs taped up in the DVD section when Pan's Labyrinth came out. So many people had bought the movie and returned it when they found it was subtitled that Walmart decided they needed to save folks lol.

But to be fair, the marketing campaign for that movie did everything it could to hide the fact it was a foreign language film.

Top Bottom