• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soda consumption down slightly, still #1 source of calories in U.S. diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

noah111

Still Alive
I'm proud that I don't drink fancy coffees, sodas, or those crazy energy drinks. Maybe from time to time, but so infrequently that I can't remember the last time I did. Feels good.

There's nothing quite like drinking some good water after a workout or run.

RBH

ixLAzqN5bfzys.png

Yikes.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I have a hard time believing that Americans get more calories from soda than bread. Unless they shoved things like buns, sandwich bread, and bagels into individual categories. "Two sodas a day" is a lot, but not even close to the bulk of a day's calorie intake.

I don't think Americans have a fucking clue about what they put into their bodies.

If every American used MyFitnessPal for a week it would shock them.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That's one healthy beverage. What the hell is 4g trans fat doing in a coffee? Yikes.

Well it's most certainly from the dairy in it. Dairy trans fats don't seem to be the same as the horribly unhealthy kind despite being labelled the same.

RedSwirl

You guys can all go to Hell. I drink a can of Pepsi with dinner every day and honestly can't imagine anything different.

Is it wrong that I drink whole milk as well?

Srsly

Banned
I've completely cut out soda, energy drinks, juice, and beer from my diet.

I only drink water now.

Some beer is actually good for you. Soda, juice and energy drinks are terrible for you in any quantiy.

Also, the everything in moderation mantra is so dumb -- just consuming 1% more artificial TFA per day, on average, dramatically increases the risk of developing cardiovascular disease.

Piecake

You guys can all go to Hell. I drink a can of Pepsi with dinner every day and honestly can't imagine anything different.

Is it wrong that I drink whole milk as well?

There is nothing wrong with fat. In fact, its usually a much better option to go full fat since low fat/no fat versions make up for the flavor loss by adding sugar or other crap - which is definitely bad for you

Maybe my sarcasm detector is broken, but that honestly sounds boring as shit.
I don't care if it's boring for my taste buds. What I do care about is my physical health.

Overall, my body feels a hundred times better than it did a month ago.

Some beer is actually good for you. Soda, juice and energy drinks are terrible for you in any quantiy.
I'm on a low carb diet at the moment so that's why I'm not drinking any beer for a while.

Levyne

Banned
Well that's that, time to learn to love skim milk.

Being serious, I'll have to learn to cut back on soda and coffee.

Piecake

I don't care if it's boring for my taste buds. What I do care about is my physical health.

Overall, my body feels a hundred times better than it did a month ago.

Ive cut grains and crap foods as well. yesterday I had two slices of pizza and it made my stomach feel like crap. That pretty much killed my desire to eat shit food ever again

I drank 40oz of Mnt Dew per day for over 20 years. I now drink 100oz of water everyday. I do not notice a difference one way or the other other than due to the sheer amount of water I drink, it fights off hunger a great deal. If I drank a Mnt Dew today, I may find it overwhelming, which is exactly the goal I had in mind when I made the switch.

:( why did u show me that! It taste soooo good & it's my daily ritual! Does it help that its my breakfast meal? Someone tell me it's ok!

Must....keep....drinking....

It's a calorie loaded nutritional void, the exact problem with swilling soda after soda and with tons of fats on top.

Yeah there's a reason I stopped drinking sweetened coffee drinks as well. Get your caffeine elsewhere.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
My mood lately has gotten me back into the not-give-a-fuck state of being unhealthy, indulging in soda and lots of sweets. I gained a few pounds from it and now give a fuck, so I'm going back to water only, with black coffee or unsweet tea here and there. For others that don't (give a fuck), I don't let it bother me. To each his/her own. I guess. Whatever.

I only have soda when eating out and I do that rarely. Tea and coffee are my morning drinks.
And quality tea and coffee doesn't need much sweetening.

diffusionx

Gold Member
My mood lately has gotten me back into the not-give-a-fuck state of being unhealthy, indulging in soda and lots of sweets. I gained a few pounds from it and now give a fuck, so I'm going back to water only, with black coffee or unsweet tea here and there. For others that don't (give a fuck), I don't let it bother me. To each his/her own. I guess. Whatever.

This yo-yoing isn't great for you either.

starmud

i thought it would be higher.

all day, i see people gulping down soda and "energy" drinks... starbucks trash everywhere. its still sad to see so many people who try to avoid soda to better themselves, consume an inordinate amount of starbucks, achahol and fruit drinks. so many people consider the 'non soda' a good choice.

i havent drank soda/coffee in years. on the downside, its hard to avoid some of the non carbonated sugar fodder. snapple. sobe. the million different mixes of fruit juices. why do some of them have to be so damn good D: i want to stop being lazy and mix my own juice drinks.

on the topic of weight. after seeing my local mcdonalds at the same time, every day for a year... i was really shocked to see the amount of people who would eat there EVERY day. i mean every day. without fail. same people. even people who would religiously visit every weekend. it still amazes me. i've read the info about the amount of people who do this with certain fast food chains, but it still amazed me to actually see it in play.

and yes, of course... always a soda in hand.

still, nothing is as amazing to me as the local 24 hour fitness and the amount of fast food/calorie water you'll see people consuming before entering. total pre workout binging. even if you are balancing caloric intake with working out, a bag of jack in the box tacos is a good choice? @____@ i see why all the fast food restaurants that surround the place make bank. i'll never understand the suburbs.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe we'll start seeing these companies sell unsweetened tea beverages someday soon. It would be nice to be able to buy something in an American convenience store that isn't a bottle of water.

cajunator

Banned
I haven't had a soda in 5 years. Haven't had cola specifically in almost 9.

Same, with very few exceptions, such as if its absolutely the only thing available to me at the moment and Im dying of thirst, which is pretty rare. Even then I would just prefer to pour a bunch of ice cubes into a glass and melt it into water and drink that and not bother. Soda just doesnt make me feel very good.

I agree with evilore about fruits instead of juice. I havent really bothered with juice drinks much either because they are just sugar water with no real nutritional value because the pulp is gone. Now orange juice with heavy pulp isnt bad. If you want a real thirst quencher, get one of thice huge yellow korean apple pears. Those are some of the most delicious and satisfying fruits in the world. God-tier stuff.

dabig2

So Soda and Juice is bad for you? Damnit, I just can't drink water all the time, I love my Juicy Juice :(

Like with all bad things in life, moderation is key. As long as you don't live on the shit, having a pop/juice a couple times a week won't kill you nor make you some unhealthy slob.

cajunator

Banned
It's pretty funny how unhealthy the tea and coffees you can buy in bottles or cans are for you.

depends on the tea. I don't think Ito En Oi Ocha is bad for you. Its pretty much just pure green tea/water. It tastes like grass at first until you get used to it. now I cant get enough of it.

ShinNL

It seems counter intuitive but many studies indicate that there's no evidence that switching to diet soda helps you lose weight. Water and other unsweetened drinks are better.

I wish milk didn't taste so horrible because it sure is healthy.
I haven't really looked into it but don't many of these studies not look at other elements? If people go to the Mac all the time and choose diet soda all the time, their average diet soda consumption is already higher than someone who never goes (and I personally almost never buy soda from the supermarket). You can't just ask "how much diet soda do you drink?", that wouldn't be enough.

I'm also against just out loud stating that diet soda is just as bad as regular soda. That will just make people go: "well, if I'm drinking soda, I might as well go pure sugar because diet soda isn't any better."

At least with diet soda you can still into ketosis. It's less carbs by default.

Of course switching to natural stuff is better, but you can't expect everyone to go all paleo in 1 day.

RPGCrazied

I don't care how bad they are for you, I will continue to drink my 2 cans of diet soda a day. I'd rather be drinking this than being an alcoholic or a drug addict.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe my sarcasm detector is broken, but that honestly sounds boring as shit.

This mentality is so problematic and has got to be a huge cause of everyone being so goddamn fat. Since when did we, as a species, decide that every time we drink something it must be "interesting" or have a powerful flavor?

I've heard variants of, "I can't drink water! It doesn't taste like anything!" so many times and all I can do is shake my head.

It's pretty funny how unhealthy the tea and coffees you can buy in bottles or cans are for you.

In places like Japan, you can buy all sorts of unsweetened tea and coffee beverages. It's really unfortunate that nothing like that is available here in the US. Everything but the damn bottled water is packed with sugar.

diffusionx

Gold Member
So Soda and Juice is bad for you? Damnit, I just can't drink water all the time, I love my Juicy Juice :(

Don't listen to these people. I drink soda and juice regularly. It's also about moderation.

The problem is that these are empty calories that people down without thinking about it. Then they eat more calories that aren't empty.

aktham

Funny that I read this article now. I haven't drank soda is a very long time (or I rarely do it), but I drank 1 bottle of Dr. Pepper yesterday and it game me stomach problems :( Maybe my stomach is no longer used to carbonated drinks.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I don't think Americans have a fucking clue about what they put into their bodies.

If every American used MyFitnessPal for a week it would shock them

Seriously. I've put in some meals after I've gone out to eat or I look up at the nutritional facts of a meal at a restaurant and it boggles my mind that people eat this stuff regularly.

Dysun

I could drink way more than 2 cans a day, and have done so alot in my life. I would rather drink a diet coke over anything. Sometimes I try to go cold-turkey and it works for a few months but then I binge back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom