• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab (news updates on the game)

Splatoon2_GlobalTestfire_screen_05.bmp

Late to the party, but man this weapon is MY JAM. Love how intimidating it looks.

Regiruler

this sounds like an upgrade over the previous re-roll system no? unless I'm missing how it works
You'll need to grind more in this system. You'll ultimately get what you want in this system, but you could get a "decent" setup through rerolls pretty quickly.

phanphare

Banned
You'll need to grind more in this system. You'll ultimately get what you want in this system, but you could get a "decent" setup through rerolls pretty quickly.

ehh, I like being able to decide. the only reason I didn't absolutely loathe the old system is because I got enough snails by participating in splatfests.

Late to the party, but man this weapon is MY JAM. Love how intimidating it looks.

my main <3

Doorman

I'm not sure you can necessarily say you need to grind more in this compared to the first game. The problem is that the amount of time and snail/cash investment to get what you want through Spyke is completely indefinite, since you're depending entirely on random chance through rerolls or ordering to wind up with just what you want. I guess...there's still an element of that in this too, but the combination of leveling up brand-bias gear and scrubbing enough ability fragments to manually set subs at least guarantees that you'll get what you want with enough time. Putting together something with mixed subs without either save-scumming or hacking was always a complete unknown.

Jims

I'm not sure you can necessarily say you need to grind more in this compared to the first game. The problem is that the amount of time and snail/cash investment to get what you want through Spyke is completely indefinite, since you're depending entirely on random chance through rerolls or ordering to wind up with just what you want. I guess...there's still an element of that in this too, but the combination of leveling up brand-bias gear and scrubbing enough ability fragments to manually set subs at least guarantees that you'll get what you want with enough time. Putting together something with mixed subs without either save-scumming or hacking was always a complete unknown.

Yeah, it kinda feels like it's designed to level out everyone's grinding to take the variance out of it. Everyone is probably going to need to spend around the same amount to create a preferred build... It takes away that dynamic of some people rolling over and over again and some people getting it with little effort.

I wonder if it's going to be affected by brands in any way? Brands become way less important (really, just the initial setups to save time), where they could become almost irrelevant. Perhaps you get a discount to stick on a preferred brand ability and have to pay way more for the rare one?

Doorman

Yeah, it kinda feels like it's designed to level out everyone's grinding to take the variance out of it. Everyone is probably going to need to spend around the same amount to create a preferred build... It takes away that dynamic of some people rolling over and over again and some people getting it with little effort.

I wonder if it's going to be affected by brands in any way? Brands become way less important (really, just the initial setups to save time), where they could become almost irrelevant. Perhaps you get a discount to stick on a preferred brand ability and have to pay way more for the rare one?

I think it balances itself out for the way you have to gain those subs in the first place. In the current game, people will often wear gear biased toward the subs they most want to try and stack so you wind up with a lot of folks of particular weapon sets and whatnot wearing very similar gear by the endgame (excluding scumming and hacking, anyway).

With the new system, people will still be wearing the gear of popular brands to level them up and get those sub-biases...but then they can take the subs off of those pieces and apply them to other pieces of gear that apply it to stuff they like the look of but don't necessarily want the brand bonus for. It'll take a while to get there but hopefully it means we'll see a greater variety of gear being used endgame now that people have a somewhat greater degree of control over their gear customization ingame.

Jims

Oh yeah, didn't think about that... If you theoretically remove subs from gear, they'll be back to blanks again.

In that case, I look forward to farming Ink Saver Sub in my All-Firefin outfit. The idea of farming in Splatoon seems strange to me.

tsundoku

I had a definite goal in Splatoon 1 and kept getting fucked over by the miserable Splatfest "rewards" and the fact that Turf War offered a pittance of money compared to Ranked Modes.

Starting with the 1000 points for winning in a Turf Match is going to greatly help in this game, All I wanted was to max level, and own every piece of gear.

I literally never rerolled a single item, got almost every item from the shop and maybe only overpaid and ordered, 2 or 3 items, played hundreds of hours of Turf War, subjected myself to almost every "coin flip for massive disparity in reward" Splatfest and I still have somewhere between 10-15 shirts that need to be levelled up to 3*

I hope the 1 sea snail per X wins returns as well, or maybe all gear will just start at 3* and only need to soak up enough "exp"

J@hranimo

Banned
Nintendo of Europe streamed the ESL Splatoon Tournament Grand Finals today, and Nogami got on stream to announce a new map called Humpback Pump Track.

It's an indoor BMX map that's pretty sizeable. Might be Blackbelly Skatepark spiritual successor.

phanphare

Banned
Nintendo of Europe streamed the ESL Splatoon Tournament Grand Finals today, and Nogami got on stream to announce a new map called Humpback Pump Track.

It's an indoor BMX map that's pretty sizeable. Might be Blackbelly Skatepark spiritual successor.

damn that looks dope

Azure J

This new stage looks lit as fuck, but you gotta bring back the god that was Blackbelly Skatepark too. None of this spiritual successor stuff when Moray got to come back, yuck.

ChrisD

New map looks fun, but I hope the trend ("trend", 2 of 3, could flip easily) of new maps being indoors doesn't continue too long. I like my bright outdoors!

This is sweet!

I've only played the S2 Testfire but those smooth curved surfaces seem very different from the simple flat surfaces in those other maps we had. Bodes well for the different styles of maps coming!

tsundoku

1) I hope those curved surfaces make good on the trailer for splatoon 1's promise of arowana mall's large ramps allowing you to "paint them and gain speed and do a jump" that got taken out

2) When the heck is summer 2017, i keep staring an an off switch desperately wanting to use it

3) Why no special edition for premiere top number 1 IP splatoon and premiere sequel splatoon 2 to 10 on 10 masterpiece splatoon 1

4) When direct with big hd footage of Splatoon 2 and launch date

:<

Doorman

So it's not a news update, per se, but discussion in the discord server earlier today while looking over the new Humpback stage brought to light an interesting detail that may suggest an intriguing weapon leak.

So this is one of the screens from this morning's reveal. A Splatling, Slosher, Octobrush, Blaster, and Roller all accounted for. But...this splatling is "off."

This is a screen of the Heavy Splatling as it's confirmed to exist in Splatoon 2. We've even had twitter/tumblr updates about the changes to its design with the ink tank being tilted to the back of the device and all, and it's even featured in the box artwork that way. But the shot we got today features a splatling with the ink tank pointed forward again, like the Splatoon 1 model, green-yellow accents, and even has what look like a few strips of blue lights at the front of the barrels. Definitely not the same as the new stock splatling.

Current running theory seems to be that this is, in fact, a Hero Splatling Replica...which is interesting, since that never existed in the first game. Could this mean more amiibo unlocks? Will we get to use more than just the standard splattershot in the new game's campaign? What other Hero variants might we see? Was this a bizarre developer oversight, or an intentional subtle tease? Very strange.
(credit to Jeff "Tomato" Vader for being the first one to spot that this was a different model in the first place!)

tsundoku

Do we really need sploshers back? Rollers can now altfire the only benefit the buckets really had.

Also will they ever rename them to sploshers again :v

I guess we'll see all kinds of overlapping/pointless/only-good variants like rollers that dont have a vertical strike but have better subs (maybe that one will get the amazing curling bombs)

Moondrop

Banned
I'm most interested to see the mechanical buffs of sloshers, blasters, brushes, etc. Two out of three returning weapons we've seen have received them.

Increased bucket distance if you charge the slosh? Increased blaster wave range if you charge it? Vertical brush assassination strike?

nahlakhai

I missed out on the testfire and I never had a Wii U, but I love Overwatch, CS:GO, competitive shooters, etc. Will I enjoy Splatoon?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I missed out on the testfire and I never had a Wii U, but I love Overwatch, CS:GO, competitive shooters, etc. Will I enjoy Splatoon?

personal taste and all beside, for me splatoon is the best MP Shooter in the last years with overwatch being a super close second.
My number one was Halo 2 for a really long time.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Splatoon and Overwatch are the only two competitive shooters that have kept my interest for more than a couple weeks since, like, the Xbox days.

Geg

From the Japanese twitter:

C8o133xXkAA3nCC.jpg:large

C8o2iNjXoAA4UVd.jpg:large

His name in Japanese is Kojudge, probably based on the Japanese word for kitten (koneko). The description says that despite his cute appearances, he wants to usurp Judd and take his position lol. Origins are still unknown.

His name in Japanese is Kojudge, probably based on the Japanese word for kitten (koneko). The description says that despite his cute appearances, he wants to usurp Judd and take his position lol. Origins are still unknown.

That dark tone in the Splatoon lore resurfacing again.

Kinokou

That little kitty already won me over, I want him on my side as I hate seeing him sad when your team wins :(

Top Bottom